Dark Wings

Dark Wings

“Kang Seungyoon get up, the sun is burning your .”

“Yeah yeah give me another 5 minutes.”

“No if you’re not waking up we’re leaving you alone here.”

“UGHHHHHHH” Seungyoon grumbled as he crawled out of his bed.

Seungyoon brushed his teeth and changed out of his pajamas with his eyes half opened.

“Good morning Seungyoon” greeted his mother while she placed their breakfast on the table.

“Morning mum” he greeted while looking at his breakfast. “Oh no mum why are we having toast again, I’m sick of this.”

“Stop complaining son, it’s either you eat or you starve”

Seungyoon murmured something under his breath and reluctantly ate the toast.

The Kang family is known for their extraordinary skills in fighting demons and they have been leading the group for centuries. Recently there had been outbursts of disruptive activities in their vicinity and it caused a lot of damages and injuries. They believed it’s the work of the demons. Their worlds never shared a pleasant relationship. An internecine fight always breaks out whenever their worlds meet. This is the reason why the family is up early in the morning; they are going to attend a meeting in the city with the others to discuss on what they should do.

“Are we all ready? We need to get going before we’re late.” Mrs. Kang said to the family while wearing her shoes.

“Yeah!!” the Kang family answered in harmony except for Seungyoon and they left their house.

The family met some of the other families on the train and sat together. While they were happily chatting, Seungyoon walked to the other end of the train as it was empty so he could sleep peacefully. For Seungyoon, sleeping is his priority. When he was about to drift into dreamland, the train came to a sudden halt. Seungyoon woke up and cursed with his eyes enlarged from shock. Mr. Kang went to check on what happened and he found the train captain dead.

“The captain’s dead.” Mr. Kang delivered the news to the families and the families were all in shock and they were murmuring among themselves. Seungyoon was walking back to the cabin where the families gathered when he saw a tall figure outside of the train, all covered up. The figure seems to be looking in to check if the cabin was empty and Seungyoon immediately squatted down to avoid being spotted.

“Where’s Seungyoon?!!?!” Mrs. Kang panicked when she realized Seungyoon wasn’t with them. She started shouting for Seungyoon when Mr. Kang stopped her and told her to lower it down. Seungyoon heard his mum calling out for him and he crawled at a fast speed to find his family.

“Oh thank god you’re fine, why weren’t you here?!” Mrs. Kang hits Seungyoon in the head.

“Well, I was tired and I just wanted to sleep PEACEFULLY.”

“One day, sleeping will get you into trouble.” Mrs. Kang rolled her eyes

Seungyoon looked at his mum and thought to himself “why would sleeping get someone into trouble?!” and he scoffed.

The families were about to leave the train when they heard conversations outside. They stopped moving and Mr. Kang quietly made his way to the nearest exit to check what’s going on outside. To his surprise, he saw four figures standing outside of the train and they seemed to be discussing about something. Mr. Kang could not recognize who they are but he is certain that what just happened was an act of the demons.

“There are about four demons outside of the train, they don’t seem very powerful, guess they are just the juniors sent by the elders to check things out. The elders must have found out we were going to have a meeting with the other angels.” Mr. Kang said as he gets prepared for the fight.

“Why are we doing these? Can’t we just go off without putting up a fight?” Seungyoon said grumpily.

The families made their way out of the train with careful steps and begin their attack on the demons.  Seungyoon, as usual, wasn’t paying attention and one of the demon got hold of him by his neck.

“AGH!” cried Seungyoon as he tries to free himself from the demon.

The demon was about Seungyoon’s size but he was a lot stronger than him. Seungyoon frantically searched for his dagger in his right pocket and managed to stab the demon on its legs. The demon cried and let go of Seungyoon and he pulled out his blade and killed the demon.

“Good job son, although this wouldn’t happened if you were paying attention.” said Mr. Kang as he wipes off the blood on his blade.  “Aite, let’s leave here now, before more of them comes for us.”

The families reached the city and settled down for the meeting. As Seungyoon made his way to his seat, he noticed a slim and tall figure, dressed in a hoodie and skinny jeans behaving surreptitiously. He was about to sneak on him before Luna from the Achilles family, bumped into Seungyoon, spilling all of his drink.

“Aishhhh -” Seungyoon got interrupted as the clave leader addresses everyone in his high pitched voice.

“I supposed everyone knows why we’re all gathered here tonight, and we need to stop all these before more of our blood gets splattered on the streets and roads…” and that was all Seungyoon heard for the night. When he woke up, the meeting was over; the mysterious guy is nowhere to be seen too.

“BAAAAMMMMM!” a loud thump can be heard across the street. The clave turned their heads in unison as if it were planned. A group of demons came crashing into the building and started attacking the families. Seungyoon was in shocked of what was happening, his feet planted to the ground and before he realized, a demon was in front of him. It was about to attack him when his sister, Seungmin, drove her blade into the demon and killed it.

“Brother, can you for once, just wake the hell up and pay attention to your surroundings?!” Seungmin shouted and fought another demon.

Seungyoon pulls out both his blade from the back and joined in the fight. Amidst of the commotion, Seungyoon spotted the slim and tall figure again, this time round, he was accompanied by a few demons and they seemed to be in a friendly relationship. To be exact, the demons are taking orders from the man.  Seungyoon saw him pointing directly at him while whispering something to the demons and Seungyoon thought to himself “he isn’t telling them to come after me, is he?! Man, this guy has no idea what is he up against” and got all ready and pumped to fight them off. To his surprise, the demons charged right passed him and attacked the others. He turned back to look for the man, but again, he was nowhere in sight.

“AHHHHH!” Luna shouted as one of the demons grabbed her on the shoulders. Seungyoon ran at full speed and slit the demon by its throat.

“Thank you”

“Nah, don’t mention it, even though you spilled your drink on me.” Seungyoon replied with a wink and a smirk.

“Anybody hurt?!” the clave leader asked the families. “It seems like someone from the dark side was among us during the meeting and tipped us off.”

Seungyoon came to a sudden realization that the man he saw, is from the dark side. What he didn’t understand was why did the man point at him but the demons flew straight passed him without attacking him.

***

It was a dark and gloomy Saturday when it started to pour outside, Seungyoon lies on his comfy bed and tucked himself in his blanket wearing his blue knitted sweater. He was just reading “The News” when he heard noise outside his window. He draws his curtains and to his surprise, he saw the man; the one from the dark side. His eyes enlarged and he backed off from his window when the man signaled him to open it.

“No way I’m opening my window, get off, now!” Seungyoon shouted as if the man can hear him. The man signaled Seungyoon again to open the window. He was getting impatient and for some reason, he managed to enter the room. “JESUS CHRIST, GET THE OUT OF MY ROOM, NOW. Wait, if you can get in without me opening it, why did you even bother asking?!” Seungyoon questioned angrily while pointing his dagger right in the man’s face.

The man pushed his hoodie and hair back and this is the first time Seungyoon is looking at his face. His prominent features surprised Seungyoon; his stare piercing through your soul.

“I thought you would appreciate me being polite, but it seems like you are rude and unwelcoming.”

“Why w-wwould I be polite to you? Have you ever heard about our sides being fr-friendly to each other?!” Seungyoon stuttered, still pointing his blade in his face, shaking.

“Kid, would you kindly stop pointing your blade in my face, it’s a little threatening.” The man said smirking; the left side of his faint red lip tugged upwards creating a sinister smirk on his god like face; casting a spell of lust to eyes that dare look his way.

“Fffine, tell me what you are for.” Seungyoon said while putting away his blade.

“There’ll be another fight later at midnight, better be careful.” He said with a wink.

“Why would you come and inform me about this, shouldn’t you be standing with your side?” Seungyoon pondered.

“Well, maybe because I like you.” The man put his hoodie on again and disappeared.

Seungyoon lay on his bed, unable to fall asleep, engrossed in his thoughts about the man; the mysterious man he doesn’t even know, not even his name yet he can’t help but think he is oddly attractive. Seungyoon was reaching for his cup when he notices a small note by the edge of the table. The old, wrinkling paper was scribbled with a name, “Seunghoon”. It was left behind by the man, obviously wanting Seungyoon to know his name for whatever reason there is. Seungyoon can’t help but notice the similarity in their names, and he had ridiculous thoughts of him being his long lost brother and that’s when he finally decided to get out of his bed and go have dinner.

“Seung- oh you’re here.”

The Kang family were just having their dinner peacefully when a fight broke out along the streets; just like what Seunghoon had said to Seungyoon.

“Stay inside the house and DO NOT come out.” Mr. Kang said sternly.

The family were just sitting together around the dining table when a demon broke into the house and started to attack them. Seungmin, being the fastest in the family, pulled out her dagger in her ripped jeans and killed the demon. Seungyoon was showing his thumbs up to his sister when a demon grabbed him and threw him halfway across the house. A hand reached out to him, he looked up and realised its Seunghoon.

“LET HIM GO!” Mrs. Kang and Seungmin exclaimed simultaneously.

Seunghoon grabbed Seungyoon’s arm and disappeared into thin air.

“Where are we? Why are we here? Let me go you idiot!” Seungyoon struggled to free himself from Seunghoon but to no avail. Seunghoon’s grab is way stronger as compared, given that Seungyoon is lazy most of the time and he’s slow.

“Are you planning to kill me here?! OMG LET ME GO AT ONCE BEFORE I KILL YOU!!!”

“Uh, I doubt that boy; you’re too slow to be killing me.”

Seunghoon was looking around their surroundings when he lets go of Seungyoon.

“I told you, I like you, so I would like some alone time with you, that’s not in your room.”

“Ew, I’m going to puke, you’re gonna kill me aren’t you?”

“Yeah sure, I would kill you after saving you. That makes a lot of sense.”

“Then why did you bring me here?” Seungyoon asked while rubbing his wrist that turned red because of Seunghoon’s grab.

“I told you, I like you.” Seunghoon answered with a laugh.

Seungyoon just stared at Seunghoon without saying anything; he was at a loss of words. “Is he confessing???? He really likes me????” he was having all kinds of weird thoughts when Seunghoon started talking again.

“Stop dreaming kid, the reason I brought you here was because my side is trying to get you to get to your dad. We received information that your dad is going to be the clave leader in the next election and given he’s so strong, he will wipe us out the moment he became the leader. They were thinking if we had you, we can negotiate a deal.”

“Why me?!”

“Because you’re slow, do you really not know why you’re the target?” Seunghoon frowned. “You’re vulnerable and weak, that’s what makes you an easy target.”

“But you’re trying to save me? Why?”

“Well, I just wanted to.” Seunghoon shrugged.

“You just wanted to?! Never mind, forget it. Let me go, now. I want to return to my family.”

Seunghoon walks off without saying anything. Seungyoon was looking around trying to escape, but it was dark and he doesn’t know where he is. He was about to take out his light stone when Seunghoon returned. He came back with branches to set up a fireplace to keep both of them warm. While Seunghoon was trying to make fire, they heard footsteps. Seunghoon immediately stood up and grabbed Seungyoon and started running. They found a small hiding place and they crawled in. The space was so small that if they leaned any inch forward, they would be kissing each other. Seunghoon lets go of Seungyoon’s hand and stared at him straight in the eyes. Hearing the footsteps draw closer, Seunghoon pulled Seungyoon closer in to avoid being noticed and Seungyoon lost his balance and fell on Seunghoon.

“They’re gone, you can stop leaning on me now although I know I’m comfortable to lean on.” Seunghoon smiled cheekily as Seungyoon scrambled to get up. They started walking and finally found an abandoned town and decided to take shelter there.

“Can you please tell me the real reason why you’re saving me?”

Seunghoon turned to look at Seungyoon, hesitating, but eventually told him his reason. “I’m different from my people. I was adopted when I was younger and I hated my side. I hated that all they ever wanted to do was fight and kill. I’m no murderer, but I’m made one, just because I was adopted by one of the leader of the dark side. My family is one of the biggest and powerful families, which are why I’m one of the leaders of the demons. I saw you in the train the other day, sleeping peacefully, and I just felt like protecting you.”

Seungyoon was taken aback by what Seunghoon said. He didn’t know what to say at that moment and after a good few minutes, he spoke.

“B….but won’t you get into trouble with your people if they found out you saved me?”

“Nah, I’m not afraid of that. Anyway, get some rest. We’ll be resuming our “honeymoon trip” tomorrow.” Seunghoon waved and headed to one of the empty rooms.

***

It’s been weeks since Seungyoon was taken away by Seunghoon and the Kang family is extremely worried about his safety. Mrs. Kang has been crying all day and Mr. Kang and Seungmin has been going almost everywhere to look for Seungyoon. It was a sunny afternoon on Thursday when Mr. Kang received a letter addressed to him by Seunghoon.

 

Your son is safe but I’m afraid he won’t be returning anytime soon, but you have my word he’ll return to you in one piece.

SH.

 

 

Mr. Kang was baffled. He has no idea who wrote that to him, but he was surprised at how he actually felt that the sender is trustworthy. Mr. Kang told the family about the letter but Mrs. Kang, of course, think it’s absurd that he’s entrusting his son’s safety on someone else’s hand; a person he don’t even know.

“Have you gone mad?!”

“Honey, calm down, I’m not implying that we can completely trust whoever this is, but I can feel that our son is still alive and safe. You’ve been going around for weeks and you look really tired. You should go rest, you too Seungmin, and I’ll go find out who sent this letter to us.” Mr. Kang finished his last piece of bread and went out of the house.   

***

Seunghoon was getting food for the both of them when he saw his underling lurking at the corner. He muttered something under his breath while he zips his hoodie and put his hood on and left in a hurry. The underling immediately went after him but Seunghoon is too fast for him.

“We’re being followed, we need to leave now.”

“What? We’re on the run again? Can I just go home? I’m really tired and I miss my family.” Seungyoon whined.

“Sure, if you want to die by tonight, you can leave now.” Seunghoon said, obviously pissed at Seungyoon not acknowledging his effort to keep him safe.

Seungyoon let out a sigh but stood up. “Okay okay, fine. So where are we headed?”

“I don’t know, we will see as we go.”

It was 3am in the morning when they got ambush by an assemblage of demons. Seunghoon quickly stood in front of Seungyoon and his hands wrapped around him to protect him.

“Well, well, look who we have here.” Seunghoon’s foster father, Seth, stood forward.

“Betrayer.” One of the followers said as he spat his saliva.

“Seunghoon, I didn’t expect you will be the one betraying us. I’m sure I didn’t raise you up to have you betraying us, or me.”

“I won’t beg for your forgiveness neither would I think I’m wrong for doing this. You and your people irk me. I hate getting blood on my hands, especially innocent blood.”

“Innocent huh? Hah, son, how are they innocent? They are the evil ones, trying to sweep us all out so they can own the world. They think they are doing something great, they think they are really angels but in fact, they are the devils.” Seth said as he drew out his blade. “Now, you choose, do you want me to kill you, or you kill him?”

“Father, I’m sorry, I was wrong.” Seunghoon walked towards Seth as he spoke.

“There there, that’s my son.” Seth smiled and hugged Seunghoon but never did he expect his son to be the one killing him. Seunghoon drew out his retractable sword from his pocket and drove it straight into his heart.

“Y…you, why do you have to do this, after all my effort to raise you up.” Seth knees gave up on him and fell to the floor.

“You didn’t raise me up because you loved me; you raised me up like I was your puppet. You were never a father to me, you were a monster.” Seunghoon wiped away his tears as he turned his back.

“Now, who’s next? My sword is thirsty for more blood.”

The demons were about to charge at Seunghoon when Mr. Kang arrived with the other clave members. The two sides fought on furiously. Seungyoon was grabbed by a demon and when the demon was about to sink its poison teeth into Seungyoon’s neck, Seunghoon slashed its back and it let out a painful cry. Seungyoon took the opportunity to drive his blade into its heart.

“Thank you, for saving me, again.” Seungyoon said with a smile.

Seunghoon ruffled his hair and fought another demon. The demons were outnumbered after a few minutes and the others saw that and retreated.

“Thank you for saving my son’s life and keeping him safe. I never thought anyone from the dark side would have an angel heart.” Mr. Kang expressed his gratitude to Seunghoon.

“Nah, I’m no angel.” Seunghoon replied politely. “Now that you’re back with your family, my task is done. Goodbye, snail.” Seunghoon smiled as he took his leave.

“Wait!!!!” Seungyoon ran towards Seunghoon. “Where are you going? If you return to your side they would definitely kill you.”

“If that’s my fate, I would accept it.”

“I’m not going to let you die!!!”

“Yeah, how can I let my son’s benefactor walk straight into death?” Mr. Kang approached Seunghoon. “You can come with us.”

“I appreciate your kindness Mr. Kang, but I need to be responsible for my own doing. After all, I did betray my side.” Seunghoon shook his head as he said, bowed and took his leave.

Seungyoon couldn’t utter a word and he stood there, watching Seunghoon go, until he was no longer in sight.

***

It’s been months since that day and the two sides were living at their own borders and there haven’t been any fights. Seungyoon hasn’t gone pass a day without thinking about Seunghoon; is he still alive? Is he living well? Why isn’t he contacting him?

It was 7pm in the evening when someone knocked on their door. Seungyoon went to open the door and a man stood at their porch holding on to a letter.

“Hi, I’m looking for Kang Seung Yoon, is he in?” the man asked as he removed his helmet.

Seungyoon patted his chest to indicate it’s him the man is looking for as his mouth is filled with the ice lemon tea he just sipped from his cup.

“What is it that you’re looking for me? I don’t think I know you.”

“I was asked to deliver to you by a man named Lee Seung Hoon.”

Seunghoon, he finally contacted him. Seungyoon thought to himself as he quickly took the paper from the man.

“I’ll be going then.”

“Yeah? Ah yeah okay, thank you.” Seungyoon closed the door and ran straight up to his room.

He sat on his bed and tore open the envelope. Inside contains a handwritten letter from Seunghoon to him. Seungyoon took it out, but a sudden chill went down his spine. His instinct told him that the letter contained something he would never want to read. He took a deep breath before flipping it to read.

 

Hi my little snail, by the time you receive this letter, I’m probably… not on this earth anymore. Not to worry, I’ll be living like a king in another world; I believe I’ll finally be able to find peace in myself. Don’t cry over me, don’t be sad for I’ve found a wonderful place to be in and I’ll finally be able to belong to somewhere. When I was alive, I never knew who I really am and where do I belong. My family weren’t really my family; the people around me never treated me sincerely and wholeheartedly. I can’t even identify with myself but now I guess I can finally be able to do that. Anyway, please take care of yourself and stop being a snail. Train yourself to fight, yoon, protect yourself and stop getting into trouble.

-SH

 

 

Seungyoon was crying so badly the paper was soaked with his tears.

“You idiot!! Do you really think you’ll be able to trick me into believing you’re dead with this stupid letter?!?!?!” Seungyoon cried as he threw the paper on the floor. At that moment, Mr. Kang knocked on his door.

“Son, can I come in?” Mr. Kang asked.

Seungyoon wiped away his tears and went to open the door.

“I have something to tell you.”

“Yeah?” Seungyoon replied as he sniffed.

“I received news that Seunghoon…. is dead. He was trying to protect you when he sacrificed himself to the leader. He also did that in exchange for the peace for our worlds. The leader considered Seunghoon a threat to him and was afraid that he would overtake him and they…“

Okay, enough. I know he’s dead. I received his stupid letter. I don’t think I can take this, I never wanted him to die for me.” Seungyoon cut off Mr. Kang before he could finish his words.

“Son…”

“I want to be left alone, would you please?” Seungyoon gestured for Mr. Kang to leave the room.

“Okay.” Mr. Kang left with a heavy heart, worried about Seungyoon.

 

Seungyoon haven’t left his room for 3 days and has pushed away everyone who came to knock on his door. He couldn’t accept the fact that Seunghoon is dead, because of him. He’s suffering from so much guilt he felt like taking his own life. He picked up his blade that has been lying on the side of his bed wanting to slit his own throat when Mrs. Kang decided to barge into his room.

“WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?!?!” Mrs. Kang exclaimed in shock seeing Seungyoon with his blade.

“GO AWAY!!!!! Just let me die!!! This guilt is never going to go away unless I’m dead and I can’t take this anymore.”

“He sacrificed himself so that you can live. How upset would he be if he know you’re taking your own life that he fought so hard for?!” Mr. Kang said anxiously as he hurried over to take the blade away from Seungyoon.

Seungyoon broke down in Mr. Kang’s arms and cried for a good 30 minutes before he finally calmed down.

“I’m sorry dad, I just… couldn’t take it anymore but yes, I will live well to repay what he did for me.” Seungyoon said forcing a smile.

“That’s my boy, let’s go out and have a good meal as a family, shall we?” Mr. Kang patted Seungyoon and turned to Mrs. Kang and Seungmin with a fatherly smile.

“YES!” Seungmin exclaimed with joy and went to prepare herself.

“Go get ready, son.” Mr. Kang winked at Seungyoon as he walked out of the room.

 

5 years has passed and Seungyoon is now one of the clave leaders leading the members. He trained really hard and is now one of the top demon hunters in the clave. He has never forgotten about Seunghoon, his heart would always skip a beat whenever he saw someone having the same built as Seunghoon. There’s this little part in him always hoping that he isn’t dead.