CHEN

My Bias is My Brother (LAY/CHEN ROUTE)

It's 9:45pm.

Mama pulls the car up outside the SM building. It was one of the company's older buildings, and it's simple enough in appearance, with the company's logo imprinted on the tinted double-doors. There's a bunch of determined-looking girls who have set up camp outside, and they glance curiously in our direction. I look away, and pull my hair around my face, hoping they won't know who I am.

I am freaking out.

Mama sighs, and looks up at the daunting building. She turns to me, and smiles encouragingly. "Whatever happens, Aika, just know it isn't your fault."

I nod, hurriedly. My mind had been thinking over different scenarios ever since I'd read the text message from Exo-M's manager. What was the manager going to ask me to do? Would I be paid to speak the truth, and tell everybody I was Lay's sister? Or would I be paid to lie, and say that I wasn't his sister, and that we had absolutely nothing to do with each other?

I had stared at the Dispatch photos for hours. For a few ninja photographs, the photos were surprisingly clear. My heart still skips a beat whenever I look at the photo of Lay giving me a spontaneous hug.

Why... Why was it Lay, Zhang Yixing? Why is Lay my brother?

I take a deep breath, and pull my scarf up around my face, adjusting my sunglasses slightly. I step out the car, and Mama and I walk up to the double doors. I put my hands in my pockets, and shift uncomfortably under the curious gaze of the fans. Please don't recognize me.

I jump as the doors automatically open, and we hurriedly step inside. The doors quickly close behind us.

I pull the scarf away from my face, and look up at the man walking towards us. His clothes are simple, and his black tshirt has the words "SM Staff" printed on it in white writing.

"Annyeonghaseyo," we greet each other politely. I feel my nerves race around my head.

"You must be Aika, and Mrs. Aoki?" His face is stern and businesslike. "I'm Kim Jaemin. We can have our discussion in my office. Follow me, please."

He leads us down a long, bright corridor. Mama and I speed up our pace to keep up with him. All along the corridor, there are posters for Shinee, SNSD, and Exo. My inner fangirl wants to take over my composure, but I keep it under tight control. It's been a long time since I've had to use my professional, music-business attitude, but it's all coming back to me with every step I take.

"I apologize for calling you out like this, without meeting up previously," Manager Kim says, without breaking stride. "But this is a matter of urgency, as I'm sure you're aware."

He leads us to a door at the end of the corridor, and without another word, gestures for us to step inside.

I go in first - and come face to face with one person I least expected to see here.

Mama's reaction is similar. "K-Kotoba-san? Nan de...?"

"Kotoba-sensei?" I whisper, as Manager Kim closes the door behind us.

"Aika-chan!" She grins at me, and strides towards me on her immaculate high-heels. She embraces me tightly. "It's been a long time, Aika-chan. You've grown so much!"

"I-it's good to see you, Manager-san..." I stutter. "But, why are you here?"

"We have some business dealings to discuss," Manager Kim interrupts. "And if I'm not mistaken, you still have an existing contract with Sayonai Records."

"Which is why I'm here." Manager Kotoba smiles. "You look well, Aika-chan. It's wonderful to see you."

"... Ahh." I reply. I haven't seen Manager Kotoba in years, or have been contacted by Sayonai ever since their... dismissal, of me. I start to feel very, very nervous.

Manager Kim checks his watch. "We're still waiting for the others, before we begin our meeting. We have a proposal we'd like to discuss."

"Proposal?" I whisper, feeling breathless.

There's a knock at the door behind me, and Manager Kim calls out. "Come in."

I spin around - and my heart drops to the floor.

A tall, very tall, very good looking boy steps in. "Annyeonghaseyo," he says instantly, as soon as he sees our faces. ChanyeolPark Chanyeol.

Oh my... I feel and hear my heartbeat race faster. Time seems to slow down. Why. Why is this happening.

Chanyeol looks across at me, and for a millisecond, we make eye contact.

His face lights up, and he grins.

I'm a hair away from completely losing any sort of fake composure I've been holding in to until now.

A second passes, although it feels like forever. I tear my gaze away from Chanyeol, and my heart is blasted with another bolt of excitement as two shorter boys come in behind him.

Kyungsoo and Xiumin. Ahh! They're so cute, they're so cute, they're so cute-

As if they could hear my thoughts, they both look at me at the same time. I hold my breath, but not before I've let out a small squeak.

Oh no. I hope they didn't hear that. It was a small squeak, hopefully small enough that only I could hear it...

Kyungsoo's eyes are so serious! It's like he's silently judging everyone and everything. And Xiumin... his face! It's so small and cute, and his eyes are cute, and his cheeks are cute, and his smile is cute...

Oh. Oh. Here comes Baekhyun. He casually pushes his fringe out of his eyes as he steps into the room. He looks up and - noticing me - his face lights up into a blinding smile.

I take an involuntary step back, trying to regain my vision again. These boys aren't human. I'm sure of it. How are they all acting so... normal? Don't they have any idea what my heart is going through? Do they have any idea how weird it is for me, to be standing before them like this, and to realise that they are real?

AIKA. Focus, baka! My inner professional scolds me, and I realise I need to fix my vacant facial expression.

I manage to close my mouth and stop staring, just as Lay walks in. Ahh, my brother.

I suddenly feel a little embarrassed, remembering everything that happened the last time I saw him. I try to avoid his eyes, but I give up a second later, as I want to see his expression.

His face is actually calm and composed. Well, that's to be expected of Yixing. I feel a surge of relief and comfort through the excited, emotional mess my composure is currently in.

"Aika-chan." He addresses me directly, and suddenly time returns to normal and my vision jumps into focus.

My cheeks glow red. Oh no. Is he angry with me? I've got him into so much trouble after all...

Before I can think of what to say, Lay pulls my shoulders towards him, and puts his arm around them. Another hug?

"Aika, I'm sorry for all the trouble I have caused." Lay says, quietly. "This will all be cleared up soon, so don't worry, okay?" He pulls away from me, and there's a smile on his face.

He's apologizing?

I shake my head. "Ne, it wasn't your fault, Lay-ssi..." My words filter away as he places a hand on my head. He pats my head in a brotherly way, before standing at my side, revealing the last person to come through the door. Gah, LAY. Why so much contact? I mean, yes I'm your sister, but I'm still trying to get used to the fact that I'm your sister, as well as the fact that you're REAL, so why do you keep messing with my emotions like this...

Oh.

I blink slowly as the last member steps through the door. He's tall, and wears a black beanie over his hair. His face is defined and sharp, but he has eyes that never stop smiling. My heartbeat still hasn't slowed down, but I can feel a smile creep across my face as he closes the door behind him. Kim Jongdae - Exo's Chen - has one of the most beautiful vocals that have ever reached my ears - next to Lay's, of course. It's impossible to not have a sense of respect for the power that comes from his voice.

I feel an honored feeling come over me, as I realise where I'm standing, and who I'm standing with. There are 4 million other people who would want to be standing right here, right now, with these very special human beings; and somehow, I was the stood here.

No matter what happens... I will never forget this feeling.

Manager Kim is introducing everyone to Mama and Manager Kotoba. Chen stands besides Baekhyun, and looks over at me for the first time.

I feel more confident with Lay standing beside me. Wow, Yixing really must have some healing powers... I tentatively make a small smile at Chen. I wish I could tell him how much respect I have for his voice.

He doesn't smile back, but continues to stare at me. I feel my smile fade away, and I look away from his gaze. This isn't the happy, excited Chen that I know. Did something happen? Is he mad at me?

I can't help but glance back at him. He's still staring, with a slight look of confusion on his face. Then...

"... Aika?" He mouths at me.

My eyes widen. Did he just say my name...?

"Alright, now that we're all here," Manager Kim begins, "We can all start this discussion. Let's sit down."

I shadow Yixing as Manager Kim leads us through to a side room that has a cluster of chairs, and a piano in the corner. I'm feeling my fear replace my previous excitement. I sit down besides Yixing, and I feel slightly better knowing that he's there. I feel more safe with him, somehow. It's unfair to him that I know more about him than he knows about me, but his presence calms me down.

Everyone sits down around us, and Manager Kim claps his hands together.

"Again, I'm very sorry for bringing this up so suddenly, with no prior meetings or arrangements beforehand. But, I may as well jump right to it." He leans forward. "As most of you know, it's come to the time of year when the excitement for the last comeback is starting to fade. We've reached the slowed-down stage. Worst yet," he sighs, "YG entertainment have a huge super-rookie project lined up, and it's becoming potentially concerning to SM."

Ne? But SM is one of the biggest and most popular entertainment companies in Korea... Why would they doubt the loyalty of Exo's followers?

Manager Kim leans back in his chair. "I've talked with the company about it, and we think it's time for another small project, just to cover us for the time being." His eyes shift to me, and I flinch slightly. "Your brother thinks it's a good idea. Simply put, all that's left is for us to hear your decision about the matter."

"Aika," Manager Kotoba sweeps her dark hair over her shoulder, and speaks to me in Japanese. "You've been feeling much better now, haven't you? You seem to have recovered from what happened all those years ago. How would you like to sing again?"

I blink, slowly. "S-sing again?" I answer, in Korean. I shake my head, vigorously. "I haven't sang in years. I really haven't."

She leans across and takes my hand. "But I'm sure you can sing again."

"I can't!" My voice unintentionally breaks a little, and I try to hold it together. Great. Now everyone's looking at me. How can I think straight in this situation... "My voice will have changed by now. I haven't done any practising."

"Aika-chan," Kotoba-san sighs. "Your voice won't have changed. You were on the verge of making it big - very, very big - ahead of all your sempais at Sayonai, and you have your voice to thank for that. It was very, very special."

I shake my head, slowly. I can feel Yixing's eyes staring at me with concern, but I don't meet his gaze.

"I can't sing any more. That's final." I say, quietly. I slip my hand out of her grasp.

Manager Kim rolls his eyes. "Looks like you share the humility gene with your brother." He stands up from his chair, suddenly. "We don't have time for this. Come on, we're going to test your abilities. I'm sure they can't have completely died. Yixing."

Yixing gets up from beside me, and him and Manager Kim walk over to the piano on the other side of the room.

Yixing sits at the piano stool, and looks over at me. "Aika?"

His eyes still make butterflies swirl around inside of me. I take a shaky breath, and slowly walk past the other members to stand at Yixing's side. I can sense Mama's worried gaze behind me.

"Yixing, play something for her." Manager Kim goes to stand with the other members.

Lay turns to me. "What song would you like to sing?"

I look into his eyes. I don't want to sing at all.

Then, Yixing gives me a small smile. His eyes tell me everything will be okay. I know I can trust him.

"Ah." I quickly think. "Could I sing 12 Miracles in December? And can I sing it in English?"

"Sing whatever," Manager Kim calls out, impatiently. "We just need an example."

I inhale deeply, and try to feel for my diaphragm. I'm feeling too rushed. I can't do this.

I look to Lay, and nod. He smiles reassuringly, and turns to the piano.

That smile fills me with the confidence I need.

Deep breaths. I close my eyes, and try to block out the movement of the room. I try to block out the fact that there are five Exo members listening to me, and the fact that my manager is here, all the way from Japan.

Lay begins the song, and the piano's notes trickle into my ears. This feels surreal. This song is very special to me. It's helped me through a lot of hard times, and I know it can help me now.

I feel calm as I find my voice, and let the beautiful music travel through me.

I open my mouth, and let the words come out.

"I'm trying to find you... But I can't find what can't be seen."

A spark of happiness ignites somewhere deep in my heart. I can do this. I can feel my body and breathing reconnect with my voice.

"Before I didn't understand how precious love was,

I thought when it ended, I would be just fine.

But now I'm trying to change who I am..."

My voice travels across the notes, like waves across an ocean, and my breathing automatically shifts for each note and key. It's like riding a bicycle - you never truly forget how to do it.

"I'm trying to hear you... And I can hear you're not with me."

In what seems like a heartbeat, the song is over. Wow. That felt amazing.

I tentatively open my eyes, and breathe deeply.

Manager Kim blinks, slowly. He looks a little stunned. "Well... that was... nice. Hmm. It will do, I suppose." He turns to Kotoba-san, who has a huge smirk on her face. With Mama, they start talking amongst themselves.

I breathe heavily - just singing this song has left me feeling a little weary. Curiously, I check the reactions of the other members. I don't think my singing was terrible...

Everyone appears to be in a state of shock. Kyung-soo and Baekhyun lean forward in their chairs, and start clapping, solemnly. Chanyeol pulls a tissue from his pocket, and dabs at his face. Chen and Xiumin are anxiously whispering about something, and Chen keeps on staring in my direction.

A blush spreads across my cheeks at Baekhyun and DO's applause, and I turn to Lay, grinning happily.

He smiles back at me. "Your singing is beautiful. You did very well."

My face heats up. "K-kamsahamnida..." I suddenly freeze and tense up, as I notice Chen and Xiumin approaching us. My cheeks are still bright red. Gah, calm down, stupid face! This is one of the most surreal moments of my life and you're making it embarassing...

"Annyeonghaseyo! Aika-ssi, your voice is daebak..." Xiumin grins at me, bowing at the same time. "It's nice to finally meet Xingxing's sister."

"A-annyeonghaseyo Xiumin-ssi..." I stutter. "Kamsahamnida. I'm honored."

I tentatively look at Chen, who is still silent. We all turn to him, and Xiumin nudges him. "Jongdae-ssi?"

I suddenly realise that Chen hasn't stopped staring at me ever since he came in the room. He also hasn't smiled either. I shift from one foot to the other, uncomfortably, and start to feel a little light-headed over the proximity between me and the three Exo-M members. I can't believe they're so close. What have I done to deserve this...

"Aoki Aika?" Chen says my name, slowly.

A few seconds later, I remember how to answer. "Y-yes."

Is he mad at me? I can't make myself look at him, so I look past his shoulder.

He pauses for a moment. "I loved your music when you were with Sayonai Records."

I look back at him. What... what did he say?

He smiles and laughs, awkwardly. "Today was a nice surprise for me. Thank you. I hope we get to work together in the future."

"Huh? You know Aoki Aika?" Lay asks, in disbelief. Chen nods and looks away, grinning.

I'm stunned. I blink, slowly. "Chen-ssi...? You listened to my music...? But..." My mind fumbles over the words to say. "But... I was so small... and I wasn't very popular, even in Japan..."

"Aika-chan," Lay says. "You don't have to call us by our stage names. You can talk to us informally."

"Ahh, sorry..." I bob my head. "It's a habit."

Xiumin grins. "Jondae doesn't worry about popularity, he only cares for talent."

Chen looks away, embarrassed, but he's still smiling. I stare at him, incredulously. Chen of Exo... knows who I am?

 

Before I have time to think of what to say next, Manager Kim comes over, his phone pressed to his ear. "Guys, we have a massive problem. Get ready to leave, now."