Worth Waiting For

Worth Waiting For (Oneshot)

Worth Waiting For (Oneshot)

7:00pm.

So here I am…at home…while about one kilometer away, one of the greatest concerts is just beginning …and I’m stuck at home.

Sydney K-Pop Concert.

Keyword being “Sydney”. This concert was to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the good relations between South Korea and Australia…and I’m stuck at home. My father wouldn’t let me go because of the exam I had on Monday.

FML.

I sighed, as I flipped through my economics textbook. The words on the page meant nothing to me. All I could concentrate on was the fact that I could probably get up right now and walk to ANZ stadium and watch one of the greatest concerts ever…if I had a ticket.

7:45pm.

Right now, the concert would have been well underway. I could imagine the large amounts of fan girls screaming as there favourite group dance and sung right in front of their very eyes. If anything, I would have loved to just come for one performance and leave. I just wanted to see my favourite person in the entire world. DBSK’s Changmin.  

Sigh.

I closed my book, pushing it away from me. Out of all dates to pick to have a concert, why did they have to pick the weekend before the final exams of university? Why not the week before or the week after? Why this week? Why today?

Knock. Knock.

I turned to face the door, to see my father holding a plate of food.

“Clara, eat this.” To make matters worse, today was his wife’s birthday party. So even if I wanted to study, there’s the constant chatter, singing and music coming from downstairs.

He placed it on the table beside me. “When you finish you can come down, and then say hello to a few of the guests.”

I nodded, and gave a word of thanks. My father remarried six after my birthmother died of cancer. My father, being 42, married a younger woman who is turning 34 today. They had been married for almost year and a half now. It’s not like I don’t get along with my stepmother. It’s just that, well, she wasn’t my mother.

My mother was a loving, caring, beautiful, Korean nurse. She had a gorgeous face, with a glowing personality to match. She would play with Tofu, my border terrier, and me when I was young. She would read me stories all the time when I was a child. She was perfect.

My father was a young Australian solider who was stationed in South Korea. And yes, it was a fairytale romance. Nothing major, but it was perfect. Around the second month my father was station in Korea, he came down with pneumonia. My mother nursed him back to health, and when he was better he asked her out. Then about six months later, he proposed, and a year after that I was born.

I lived in Korea for about seven years, before we migrated to Australia. There’s only one thing I regret leaving behind…

I looked at my food and picked up the fork, and stabbed a piece of chicken before lifting it up and placing it in my mouth.

8:23pm.

I had changed into something simple, a loose white shirt and skinny jeans. I held my plate and walked down the stairs into the kitchen.

“Clara!” I turned around to see my stepmother waving at me. “Are you done studying?”

“No, not yet. Just putting my dishes into the sink.” I smiled at her. My stepmother was quite beautiful too. She has long brown hair, and chestnut eyes, with distinctive Korean features.

“Well, you can rest for five minutes, can’t you? I’m sure your father won’t mind.” She had already taken my plate and placed it on the table, then ushered me into the lounge room. In the lounge room she had set up a large stage, with a karaoke machine on it.

I already realised what she wanted me to do. She wanted me to sing.

Once one of her friends was done singing, she held my hand and dragged me to the top of the stage.

“Hello everyone, this is my step daughter, Clara! Isn’t she pretty? She’s got a gorgeous voice to match? Wanna hear her sing?”

There were cheers all round. Why do I feel like I’m at a bar?

She passed me the microphone and asked what song I’d like to sing.

“The one that got away, by Katy Perry.”

“Awesome.” She smiled and walked off the stage, and the music began.

Summer after high school where we first met…

As I sang, I had flashbacks of my time in Korea. Our next-door neighbour had a son. He was two years older than me. We had such fun together, his room and my room were facing each other, and sometimes I look over to see he pulling a funny face at me. We always played in the backyard, and because we were such good friends our parents had decided to install a door, joining our yards, so I could go over at any time and he could come here.

He was my best friend and my first love. A puppy love. I thought he was the coolest guy when I was younger. On the day, I left Korea, I was seven and he was nine, we made a pact to always stay in touch. That was also the day; I gave him my first kiss. It was all so fast now that I think back on it, we had finish loading everything into the car and he was being strong trying not to cry. My parents and his parents were talking near the car leaving us both to say goodbye near the front door. My eyes were slightly watery, as I spoke.

“We will always be friends, won’t we oppa?”

“Of course.” He said, trying to give me one of his best smiles.

“Oppa…” I looked down, trying to hide a small blush. “I will miss you.”

“Me too, Clara-ah”

“Oppa…” I looked up and quickly kissed his lips. His face flushed red, like my own cheeks. “I really like you.”

“Clara-ah! Time to go.” I could hear my parents call me from the car. I glanced over to see my parents already in the car, waving at me to come over. I nodded.

“Bye-bye oppa.” I turned to walk away,

“Clara…” I paused, as he walked in front of me, “wait for me. One day, I’ll come to Australia and find you. So wait for me?”

I grinned, my heart over flowing with happiness. “Yes, Changmin oppa. I’ll wait for you.” I gave him one final hug, before running to the car.

The one that got away.

I finished and there was a loud applause. I smiled and put the microphone back into the stand.

Yes, my first love was non-other than Korean superstar, Shim Changmin. When we got to Australia, time passed and by the time I was thirteen, I saw Changmin on Korean TV as a singer. It was then I realised, that we were just kids who had experience puppy love, and that he had probably forgotten about me now.

Disappointed in my childish fantasies, I still supported Changmin in his career. I watched the programs he was on, brought albums he had made, and in turn, became a fan of the entire band.

Still, at the age of 21, I had some childish fantasy to go to the concert and expect something magically would happen and we would live happily ever after. I walked upstairs to my room and lied on my bed. 

In the past 14 years I have never received a letter, or phone call, or email from him. But I missed him terribly. I missed the old days when we were young kids just playing in the backyard.

I looked over at my bedside table and saw their first CD cover beside the CD player. I reached over and pressed play.

Haruman nibangui chimdaega dwegoshipo (oh baby)…

The voices of the original five angels filled my ears, with their debut song, Hug. The harmonizing was heavenly and soothing. I would always listen to this song whenever I missed Changmin.

My eyes closed and I fell asleep dreaming of what could have been…

10:30pm

I awoke, to still hear the party downstairs. I got up from my bed and walked to the bathroom, to brush my teeth and wash my face, before I headed downstairs again.

“Clara?” I could hear my father looking for me.

“Ummhmmmm” I mumbled as I brushed my teeth.

“Oh there you are, why are you brushing your teeth?” He looked at me suspiciously “Did you fall asleep?” I could only nod and as I rinsed my mouth with water. “Okay, come downstairs when you finish. Okay?”

Without waiting for a response, he closed the door.

About ten minutes later, as I was combing my hair I heard a familiar voice echo through the house.

Haruman nibangui chimdaega dwegoshipo (oh baby)

Do dasuhi pogunhi nae pume gamssa ango jaeugo shipo

Aju jagun dwichogimdo noui joguman sogsagime

Nan ggumsogui gwemurdo I gyonae borir thende

I almost dropped the brush. I stood up as the voice continued to sing.

Naega obnun noui haru oddohge hulloganun gonji

Narur ormana saranghanunji nan nomuna gunggumhande

Noui jagun sorab sogui irgijangi dwego shipo

Ar su obnun noui gubimirdo

Nae mamsoge damadullae no mollae

I stood up and raced down the stairs, and into the lounge room to see a face I thought I’d never see.

There up on the stage was Changmin and Yunho singing ‘Hug’. I felt my eyes well up with tears. There he was. After 14 years of missing him, there he was.

The dance section played, allowing Yunho and Changmin to dance round. Changmin’s eyes began to wonder and he caught my eyes. He began to sing again, but this time. It was just for me.

Haruman noui goyangiga dwegoshipo

Niga junun mainun uyowa buduroun nipumaneso

Umjiginun jangnanedo noui gweyoun ibmachume

Nado mollae jirthurur nuggigo issona bwa

 

Nae maumi iron goya

Nobaggen bor su obnun goji

Nugurur bwado odi issodo

Nan noman barabojanha

Dan haruman aju chinhan noui aeini dwego shipo

Noui jasangdo ddaeron thujongdo da durur su issur thende

Nor wihae

Changmin stepped off the stage, and walked towards me. As he got closer he reached out his hand, wanting me to take it. I lifted my hand and placed it in his.

In my heart in my soul nayege sarangiran

Ajig osaeghajiman uh uh babe

Isesang modun gor noyege jugoshipo ggumesorado”

He led me to the stage, allowing me to stand in between the both of them, and they both turned to me to sing to rest of the song, still holding my hand.

“Nae maumi iron goya jigyo bor suman issodo

Nomu gamsahae manhi haengboghae na jogumun bujoghaedo

Onjeggaji noui gyothe yoniuro igo shipo

Norur nae pume gadug anun chae gudoboryossomyon shipo

Yongwonhi

Once the last note was sung, I almost fainted. Before I could say anything, the audience applauded, while Changmin put the microphone back, and said a quick word of thanks to Yunho before leading me away from the lounge room, and into the back yard.

The pool lights were shining brightly underneath the clear night sky. We sat down on a bench next to the pool.

“Clara-ah” he called my name for the first time in 14 years, except now he was 23 and had a deeper, ier voice than when he was a child. I slowly released my grip from his hand, as the reality of everything hit me.

What was going on? Why was he here now? Why haven’t I heard anything from him in the past 14 years? What’s he doing here, IN MY HOUSE?

Many questions reeled through my mind. I looked up at my first love, to see he was crestfallen that I had removed his hands from me.

“Changmin…oppa?” I slowly said his name, as if I was feeling how it felt to say it after all this time.

He turned his face to look at me. His features were much more defined and handsome than before. He had lost his baby fat, and had the most kissable jaw line I had ever seen.

“What…what are you doing here?” I asked in English without even thinking.

“I came to fulfill my promise all those years ago,” he spoke back in perfect English.

“But…”My head fell forward as I felt the tears come back.

“I’m sorry,” Changmin began to speak, lifting up my head to look at him “You’re very beautiful Clara-ah” His hand began to caress my face.

I leaned into his hand, “But you never contacted me…why now?”

“Because now I can support you, and you have almost finished university, no?”

“Yes, but how did you know? How did you know I was here?”

“Well, this morning I got an email from your father. He told me everything.”

“But you never sent me anything. I was waiting for something, and then all of a sudden you were on TV, and I was so lost, I thought I had lost you forever.” The tears streamed down her face.

“I wanted to. I really wanted to, but the company was intercepting my out going messages. They didn’t want any scandals. But now, I don’t care, I don’t need them. I never did. I missed you everyday. I wanted to call you…but I’m so sorry. But then I never received anything from you, so I thought you didn’t want me.”

“I was waiting for you to send me something. But then after time passed, I felt less and less confident. I tried to forget you, but when you debut, I vowed to support you as a fan…but I guess, I didn’t help our situation much either. I’m sorry too.”  I spoke, as I looked down at my feet.

Changmin sighed, “Clara-ah, look at me. I’ve missed you for so long. But you won’t look at me. Am I really that ugly to look at?” He teased.

“No…I’m just embarrassed. I’ve been watching you as a fan for years now, and now you actually being here is like a fan’s dream come true…I’m not sure what to do.”

Changmin chuckled, “So does that mean I am good looking or not? Take a good long look, I don’t mind.” He lifted my face up again to face him, except this time his face was a lot closer than before.

“Oppa,” I flushed red, “You’re good looking.”

“Hmmm…I see.” Changmin pondered for a moment before speaking again “Then I guess that’s a good thing, isn’t it? This way you will have a good looking husband, and can have lots of pretty children with me, no?”

“Oppa!” I was shocked at his comment. Marriage?! Children?! “What-what are you saying?”

“Well, I’ve come to take my beautiful princess away. So they only ending suitable is a happily ever after, isn’t it?” He pulled me into a hug, and then whispered, “I’ve finally got you after all these years, I don’t think I could last another year. I love you.”

“But, it’s been years since we’ve seen each other last. How can you be sure?” I asked, feeling flustered that Changmin’s body was pressed against mine.

“Because, I know how I feel right now, and you’ve been watching me through the TV. Hence we know each other. But I guess, we could date for a bit before we got married.” Changmin released her, and then grabbed her hand and lifted it to his chest. “My heart’s beating so fast for you. Be mine?”

He looked into my eyes, and I saw the young boy from 14 years ago. His eyes were full of hope and wishes. I realised that this was reality, but I guess if you couldn’t forget a guy from 14 years ago. It had to be something special. 

Without speaking, I slowly nodded my head, causing him to show me the same smile he gave me the day I left.

“I love you.” He leaned in and we kissed.

A kiss that was worth waiting for.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: So sad that I didn't get to go, coz of exams....so i decided to write this! 

Hope you like it!

aliceeyychan

P.S. Will edit....eventually. :)

P.S.S. Comment? :) <3