Routine

Carpe Diem

It was a typical day in the café, Daniel would say.

 

He opened it up at 7am, having made himself a cup of coffee, two creams and one sugar, as he always did. There wasn't many people for the first bit of the hour, excluding his workers Jonghyun and Changhyun, Daniel's closest friends. They were greeted with a smile and small pastries Niel had fixed up the night prior.

 

It was just a normal day.

 

That is until lunch came around.

 

As Changhyun and Jonghyun took their lunch breaks, Niel stayed out at the counter, wiping it down as there were some spilt coffee stains and crumbs or sprinkles from earlier on it, having served the lunch rush already.

 

"Yah, kid!"

 

Niel looked up to the familiar voice, rolling his eyes before laughing while tossing the cloth he had been using, looking back to the grinning Byunghun.

 

He was another worker, not to mention a friend of his from college. Byunghun was the free spirit sort of guy, Daniel explained to himself. Nothing really fazed L. Joe, as he preferred to be called. He took everything in lightly yet proper manners, from his job to relationships to friendships and other issues. It was the reason he and Niel got along so well, they were polar opposites.

 

Ahn Daniel was always uptight about who knows what. The perfectionist in him couldn't allow for the ever so slight mishap to happen without him getting stressed about it. He needed it all to be right, or embarrassment is the only feeling he'd get.

Niel and relationships never worked out, either. He was so dedicated to his job that any guy who showed a liking to the 21 year old was immediately shut out as a distraction, he couldn't afford that to happen. So, Niel worried way too much while L. Joe worried too little. And they seemed to work pretty well together.

 

"Hey, hyung. Just in time, second round of lunch rush is about to start up. Please get your apron quick." Niel said, the smile fading quickly as he keyed Lee Byunghun into work. Byunghun clapped a hand on Niel's shoulder lightly as he walked behind the counter to the back room.

 

"Got it, boss." Niel waited till the other was in the back room before chuckling to himself, running a hand through his amber colored hair. L. Joe always had to mock him for that.

He heard the bell to the door go off, alerting that a customer had walked through.

 

"Hello, may I take your order?" Daniel gave a small bow, not even looking up as he was ready to place in the order.

 

"Yeah, may I have one Caffé Americano with a submarine sandwich?" A husky voice spoke, Daniel punching in the order quickly.

"Sure thing, your name?"

 

"Minsoo." And that was when Niel finally looked up, his bright eyes meeting with the sharp ones of the customer. The height difference made it almost impossible for him to not stand on his toes. A smile danced on Minsoo's lips, taking notice to the look on Niel's face.

It took the shorter of the two a few seconds to snap out of the trance, having looked this tall dark stranger up and down, the nice fitting navy blue suit hugging the rather prominent muscle Minsoo was sporting. Daniel shook his head and bowed, hurriedly muttering an apology, finally entering the order and saying Minsoo could go have a seat anywhere. When he at last paid and left the counter, Daniel exhaled quickly.

 

"You okay, Niel-hyung?" Changhyun asked as he walked up behind the boy, causing him to jump. He broke into a nervous chuckle before shaking his head.

 

"I-I’m fine. No worries here." Changhyun raised an eyebrow, scoffing at the last part.

"Jonghyun-ah, something's wrong with Niel!" He called into the back room, taking the receipt from the older's clamy hands, pulling a face before going to make the sub.

 

Niel couldn't fight with Changhyun on that one. He couldn't quite figure out what was bothering him. Was there even anything special about this tall, dark stranger?

 

As Niel slowly started to assemble the drink, he thought for a minute.

 

'Why the hell am I freaking out? He's just some guy who came into the shop for lunch. It’s nothing special.

Nothing at all.'

 

"Uh, excuse me, I think you're spilling the milk?" Niel blinked at the deep voice, but soon coming to from the searing pain on his left hand.

 

"Ow! W-what the--?" He exclaimed, cursing under his breath. The scorching hot milk had burned his hand as he stupidly lost himself in his thoughts.

 

"Are you okay?" The man called Minsoo stood up from the nearby table he was in, concerned for the clumsy boy.

 

“I-I’m so sorry, sir, I’ll immediately fix your drink.” Daniel yet again bowed in embarrassment, holding his burnt hand with a small hiss.

 

“Let me help you, you can get a bad injury from that.” Minsoo bluntly stated, reaching over the small counter and gently grasping the boy’s hand.

 

“Hyung—U-uh, sir, please. I’m fine. Don’t worry.” Daniel insisted although the man seemed to be ignoring him.

 

Minsoo grabbed a cloth from the counter and looked around searching for the other employees, but saw that they had all taken their breaks.

“We need some cold water to treat this. May I pass to the back room?”

“Ah..Y-Yes, but please don’t enter anywhere else.” Niel sighed, giving up on trying to argue with the man.

Minsoo quickly walked to the other side of the counter and went into said room, wetting the cloth generously with cold water and then jogging back to Daniel, guiding him to a chair.

"This might hurt just a bit." The older man warned, placing the cloth over the bright red area on Daniel's hand, who sneered in pain, trying his hardest to keep a straight face.

"A-Ah..H-hng.." Niel hissed and moaned, pain lacing his voice. Minsoo awkwardly cleared his throat, looking the store owner up and down. His eyes fell on the nametag on the other's white shirt.

"Does it hurt as much as before, Niel-ssi?" Minsoo asked, bending over the shorter just slightly, eyes glued to the less pained expression. Daniel nodded, a small smile gracing his usually tight face.

"No, it’s much better. Needed that cold cloth, that's really it. Thank you so much, sir, you shouldn’t have.." Daniel stopped himself while keeping his head down, trying not to babble and annoy Minsoo, who actually seemed very nice.

“Please. Call me Minsoo.”

“Thank you..Minsoo-hyung.”

Niel maybe was in too deep for this to just stop abruptly.