1/1

Apple Chips

Professionally, Hongbin hated killing people in crowded public spaces, like shopping malls. A few of his co-workers would argue with him, loudly, obnoxiously loud, too loud, that it provided the perfect cover. He once sat and listened to Hyuk drone for an hour about how people don’t really watch what goes on around them and how slipping into a crowd in the chaos was the easiest thing ever and how you’d have to be a monumental up to have trouble doing a job like that.

 

Some days Hongbin really hated how Hyuk was right.

 

But that didn’t help him in his current situation, which was trapped in a bathroom stall with a dead body slumped on the toilet seat. Hongbin could feel his calves starting to strain; he was holding himself in the air with a foot on either wall of the stall, bending down low so as not to be seen over the top of the door. The urge to let his shins shake was prevalent but as there was someone in the stall next to him, he clamped down and muscled through.

 

This was the very last time he ever bought a remote locking device from Ken. The very last. The guild could keep calling him a so-called mechanical genius, which was true in a way, but Hongbin found absolutely no comfort in that when his only worked 50% of the time.

 

What should have been a simple job, in, strangle a man to death with a thin ultra strength wire, out was turning into a real storm. He rolled his eyes as the guy in the stall next to him shook it off and zipped up. Take a little longer, buddy, it wasn’t like his legs were killing him or anything. The sound of the faucet was enough to muffle his gentle landing on one foot, using his back to keep him in place. All he could do was hope that no one else came into the bathroom before the mystery person out there left.

 

Cocking an ear for the door, he listened as it swung open and the person left but he didn’t hear any footsteps entering. It was his shot and he was taking it. Quietly, he lowered his other foot and exited the stall, turning around to thumb the simple door lock shut with his gloved finger. From the brief glimpse in the mirror he looked as nonchalant as ever, well that was something at least.

 

The mall had been useful for one thing. It had absolute security cameras, how else did teenage kids nick off with so much merchandise every day? But still, he was glad he hadn’t left this one to Ken and his “could save you, could kill you” devices. He tugged off his gloves and stuffed them into his jacket pocket along with garrote he’d used to choke the life out of the city official, there to spend a day shopping for his family. Sorry family. Pulling out a well worn and slightly shabby cap, he tugged the bill low over his face and eyes.

 

Head down and avoid eye contact, he slipped out of the bathroom door and headed for the crowd and… winced because it took all of five seconds for the cleaning crew to roll up, ready to inspect the bathroom. The one day they were going to be early in schedule, of course, he rolled his eyes again and melded in with the crowd headed toward the food court.

 

He got about halfway there before he heard the screams echoing from where he’d come. And no doubt that meant radio messages. Messages faster than he could make it to the exit.

 

Hongbin hated killing people in crowded places because there were always cops near by. And while it normally wouldn’t be a problem to slip by a few, he was already committed to the ‘just an everyday guy’ routine and the crowd was starting to panic and shove. Trying to avoid dropping a few of them to clear a way out was going to be too hard and draw too much attention.

 

So, he moved with the sea of people as they pulled him toward the exit, where he saw several men in uniform taking names and faces asking for searches. Crap. He had to make it look like he’d been there for a while.

 

Spying an empty seat with a tray still perched on the table, he didn’t waste any time sitting down and pulling his phone out. Just another punk kid wasting his life at the mall.

 

It wasn’t until the good looking guy with the blonde hair and a snap back in the seat opposite him sat up from tying his shoe lace that Hongbin realized his mistake.

 

They stared at each other for a second, blinking a few times before Hongbin ventured a smile, turning up the charm. It only made the guy across from him ears turn the slightest hint red and he blinked some more.

 

“Is this seat taken?” Hongbin asked, hoping against hope that he wasn’t about to kick up a fuss.

 

“I’m waiting for a friend, but he’s late.” It didn’t sound like he wanted Hongbin to leave but he wouldn’t stop staring at him either. Which was bad, it was never good when someone could remember your face, and he’d already been told enough that he had a face that was hard to forget.

 

“Can I keep you company until then? This crowd got crazy suddenly.” The other guy nodded and nudged over a basket of honey apple chips he’d been eating. A peace offering. “Sorry, I didn’t see you when I sat, I hope you don’t mind the intrusion. I’m Hongbin.” Also known as Kong the Killer, a name everyone back at the agency thought was hilarious.

 

“Oh, um, it’s nice to meet you!” The blonde finally seemed to snap out of his daze and offered a cute smile that had his cheeks bunching up and eyes crinkling at the corner. “Sorry, you’re just… um… nevermind.” He gave a soft huff of a laugh that was actually really cute and he turned his head down bashfully before composing himself. “It’s fine, it was boring waiting by myself. I’m Wonsik.”

 

They reached across the table to bow and shake hands. “It wasn’t this mad a few minutes ago.” Wonsik leaned out from his chair to look at the massive crowd swelling from inside the mall, his back was to the cops at the doors. Had he really not seen them at all yet? “Wonder what’s got everyone in a hurry. Do you think something happened?” His neck craned out and Hongbin had the chance to appreciate the bobbing adam’s apple and neck lines.

 

Excellent use of your time, agent, he chided himself but remembered that he didn’t have anything better to do. If he could keep a rapport going with Wonsik then they could probably be passed over, maybe, if he was lucky.

 

Hongbin was due for some luck, wasn’t he?

 

“Dunno,” he shrugged and kept his face turned slightly down, so Wonsik could see him but others would have a harder time of it. “I was just on my way in and this crowd was nuts.”

 

“Guess that makes me lucky then, doesn’t it?” Wonsik gave another cute grin and then seemed to get flustered, staring at the chips between them, scooting it forward a little more. “You can have some, they’re fresh, I swear.”

 

Jeez, did he know he was being cute? Was he honestly flirting with him? Hongbin had to bite back a giggle and gave him a genuine smile, he could feel his dimples popping in. “Thanks.” Hongbin popped one into his mouth and it gave a satisfying crunch when he chewed down, not unlike the sound of bone being crushed under a heavy booted heel. “Mmm,” he let a small little shake run through his body, left over adrenaline, “these are good.”

 

“My favorite!” Another grin, and Wonsik beamed at him, it was starting to make him feel a little bad for using him as a cover. “It’s the only reason I make my friend meet me here, there’s this stand that only sells these chips. And you know they’ve gotta be good because they make enough money on just the chips alone. That’s some damn good chips!” Oh god, he was very enthusiastic about his food, it was adorable. “My friend says that malls are ‘tacky establishments made to herd people around like cattle and stamp them with an ear tag bearing a won sign’, but they’ve also got these chips, see? So, in my book, I call that worth it.”

 

That was funny, Hongbin knew someone who said the exact same thing about malls, had said it to him at the agency not even 24 hours before.

 

“I’m late,” a soft voice said from behind Hongbin’s back and had him jolting almost, “sorry, Wonsik.”

 

No, in fact, luck would never be in stock for Hongbin ever again.

 

“Ahh, it’s okay! I had someone to keep me company.” Wonsik grinned and gestured for Hongbin to turn around. But he already knew who he was going to see. “This is my friend, Taekwoon. Taekwoon, this is Hongbin, he was keeping me company.”

 

Jung Taekwoon, also known as Leo the Hunter in their professional life. He hated his own cheesy code name almost as much as Hongbin’s embarrassed himself.

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” Hongbin felt like his own smile was stiff, but no more than the piercing look Taekwoon was sending him before his eyes darted back to look at Wonsik with concern.

 

“Yeah, you too.” Or maybe it would have been if they were only meeting for the first time.

 

“Whoooooa, why are the police here?” Wonsik stood up and looked at the officers still gathering potential witness accounts.

 

“Dunno.” Hongbin and Taekwoon answered at the same time, eyes on the ground.