Two

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye’s speedy progress was unexpected as she passes the monthly review tests with minimal problems or restrictions because even though Seunghyun uses his authority to get her in, the effort, the diligence and along with the talent are all hers to prove and appeal to the coaches. She was seen staying back and practicing countless of times after official training hours determined to get through it with the unlikely opportunity presented to her particularly with her current age. Seunghyun was satisfied, as he was able to keep an eye on her in his own ways without driving others’ attention to his feelings towards her.

There was a casting call by a respected director and Seunghyun wanted Shin Hye to give it a go. He even went a step further by stating that his company will be in charge of producing the film. So that night, Seunghyun waited in his car for Shin Hye to be done with her training program and when he finally saw Shin Hye exiting the building, he dialed her number. He saw that she took her mobile phone out and looked at its screen but did not answer the call.

“Orh?! Tsk tsk tsk… Look at that… How could she have done that right in front of me?! Oh ya right right.. She didn’t know I could see her…”

He tried dialing a couple of times before she finally picked it up as he followed her in his car while she was walking towards the main road.

“Where are you? What are you doing?”

“Call you back later I’m in the toilet at the moment…” and before Seunghyun could answer, Shin Hye had already hung the phone up. Seunghyun was not satisfied with the answer and decided to drive his car up -  till his car was beside her, before he wind down the car’s window and remarked, “I didn’t know you carry out your personal hygiene activity in a public place like this? By the road side at that?”

His remark gave Shin Hye a huge scare as she retorts, “Ya! Have you been following me?”

“Ya?! Am I hearing things?! Did you just spoke to me in an informal way?”

“I’m sorry, Sajangnim… But how can you expect me to be calm?”

“Fine... Since I am the better person... I accept your apology…”

“If that’s the case… Then thank you. I shall make a move first then…” as Shin Hye rolled her eyes before attempting to walk away.

Seunghyun quickly stepped out of his car to stop her in her tracks, “Wait up…  There’s something that I need to talk to you about…”

“What is it Sajangnim?”

“Hmmm… Get in the car first….”

Shin Hye was reluctant but Seunghyun was quick to remind her of her debt just so he could send her home and to relay whatever he wanted to. She finally got in the car and Seunghyun passed her the tentative contract of the upcoming project that he wanted Shin Hye to star in.

“What is this all about?”

“Hmmm… I thought it would be a great opportunity for you to go for this audition…”

“Audition? I have yet to finish my training and you are thinking of asking me to act?!”

“Why not? I have reviewed your progress… You are good enough… Even the acting coaches says you are good enough… If they say so… Then it’s good with me…” as Seunghyun nonchalantly stated.

“But why?”

“Aish~ Didn’t I told you that 30 years is too long…? So you are to debut as soon as possible...” said Seunghyun even though he knew well enough that his intention is the exact opposite of that and that he did not really care about the debt thar Shin Hye had incurred.

Unexectedly, Shin Hye replied just as nonchalantly too, “Sajangnim, are you really that short of cash?” Her reply caused him to feel flustered but to cover up his embarrassment, “Ya~ Now you even dare to answer me back in that manner uh? Are you perhaps tired of living too?”

Seunghyun’s replies caused her to keep quiet instead thus he further added, “Then how do you think we get rich in the first place? Precisely because we ensure that all debts are paid up on time…” In actual fact, he no longer cares about the money and simply wanted Shin Hye to succeed and achieve her dreams. He felt bad for causing her pain in the past so he wanted to do something for her in return in addition to keep her safe from harm since there are questions from the incident years ago still left unanswered. As Shin Hye was reading the contract, she noticed the signature on the contract and it brought her back to the time when she regained consciousness at the hospital. The time when she wanted to pay for the bill for her hospital stay. The patient service officer instead informed her that it had been fully paid and Shin Hye requested for the receipt, wanting to return the money thinking that it was Min Ho who had rescued her from the building but it simply slipped through her mind to ask him with all the events that had occured one after anothe. She was surprised to see on the contract labeled ‘Sajangnim’ with its signature exactly the same as the one on the receipt. It finally dawned on her that it was not Min Ho whom she had initially thought but it was indeed the very man seated beside her.

“Stop the car, Sajangnim.”

“Huh? Why? Don’t tell me you are hurt by what I just said? Oh come on… You can’t be that petty right?”

"Kamsahamnida Sajangnim..."

"Huh? Why all of the sudden? It's unlike you..."

"Kamsahamnida Sajangnim... For saving my life..."

"Huh? Me? When?"

"It was you who rescued me from the building when I passed out isn't it? For that I thank you..."

Seunghyun was flustered for a moment and he barely managed to reply, "Who told you to pass out in other people's building?" still trying to maintain his cool demeanour, as he continued, "So I hope you will make full use of the opportunity that's in front of you now..."

Meanwhile, Suzy was at the main office in Kangnam when she chanced upon Min Ho who was making his way out of his own office.

“Fancy bumping into you here yet again, “ commented Suzy while Min Ho hid an envelope behind his back.

“What are you still doing here after working hours Min Ho-sshi?”

“Oh me? There are some things that I need to settle… So ya that’s why I’m working overtime…"

“Ah really? Not because you are trying to get back at Seunghyun?”

"Huh? I don't understand what you meant, Suzy-sshi..."

"Well... Let's just say I've been keeping an eye on you... You seem to be a very ambitious man... And I am thinking of helping you out.... What do you say?"

"What is it that you want in return?"

Suzy let out a smile, "You are a smart one... Well... It's simple actually... Just keep Seunghyun away from Shin Hye..."

Back in the car, Seunghyun managed to drive Shin Hye back despite the awkward atmosphere that was enveloping the two of them. Seunghyun was not used being the 'good' guy while Shin Hye was feeling extremely confused. She quickly got out of the car and thank him for sending her home. Seunghyun was not really in his right mind to stop her or say anything to her and all he could utter was, "You're welcome and good night..."

When Shin Hye got home, she washed herself and tried hard to fall asleep but she simply could not get to sleep. Her thoughts was filled with Seunghyun and questions about Seunghyun. She simply could not understand what Seunghyun was trying to do for her, but there was something that she could not deny, she felt touched by his actions. The fact that he had saved her from the brink of self-destruction. That night, she was not alone in being sleepless, Seunghyun too was tossing and turning in his bed. He was guilt-ridden, he was scared of himself particularly because he felt that he is forgetting his dead lover. He felt that he was betraying her. The very next day, when his father told him of a businees assignment overseas, he willigly took it up to stay away from Shin Hye even for a short period of time and he was to leave before the day of Shin Hye's audition for the role. He was in the office when he called Shin Hye to his office,

"Yes Sajangnim... You called for me?"

"Yes... About the audition... I hope you do well... And not disappoint me... Just because I am not there doesn't mean you can slack off, arasso?" as Seunghyun tried to keep his cold demeanour as though he does not care for her.

"Neh, Sajangnim... I'll make full use of the opportunity..."

"Alright... You may take your leave... I hope to hear good news when I come back..." as he tried to keep it short and to prevent himself from being too attached to Shin Hye.

"Neh... Sajangnim..." as she bowed before leaving the office.

The day of the audition finally came round and Shin Hye was a nervous wreck. Seunghyun had told his personal secretary to stay behind and drove Shin Hye to the audition place. After he had dropped her off, he was to accompany Shin Hye so as not to leave her alone but he received a call that makes it impossible for him to deny the call. When he was done with the call,

"You need to leave is it?" asked Shin Hye meekly despite the anxiety she was feeling.

"I need to oversee to some business that Chairman Choi had assigned me to do while Sajangnim is away... Apparently the clients are already here and the plane had touched down at Incheon Airport...."

"Then you better get to it... I don't wish for you or Sajangnim to get into trouble with Chairman Choi because of me..."

"I am so sorry... I thought I would only be meeting them later... And to think I got it all planned out according just as Sajangnim had wanted.... But this came up all of a sudden... I am really sorry..."

"Don't worry about it.... I'll be fine... I am not a little girl you know...." as Shin Hye assured him even though Seunghyun had clearly stated to his secretary not to leave Shin Hye alone.

"I'll try to get it done as soon as possible and get you back home right after okay?"

"Neh... Don't worry..."

When Seunghyun's personal secretary drove off, she then turned around and made her way into a building. She took the stairs up to the third floor and made her way into what seem like a studio with white walls, cameras on tripods and sparsely furnished with just a few couches and a table with computers meant for editing clips and photos. There were also a couple of rows of clothes at the corner of the studio as though it was a garment store. She began to wander into the studio and it was quiet before she was greeted by a bespectacled man, dressed in a flannel shirt and jeans from behind, causing a shock to Shin Hye.

"Goodness gracious! You scare me..."

The man let out a hearty laugh before he apologise, "I am so sorry.... I didn't mean to... But anyways... Hello there.. A good afternoon to you... You must be Shin Hye..." as he offered a handshake.

"Yes... And you are...." with Shin Hye extending her hand to reciprocate.

"Well let me introduce myself... I am the casting director... I heard that you are beautiful... But I didn't expect you to be this beautiful..."

"Well thank you for the compliment..."

Shin Hye felt slightly uncomfortable and nervous as the casting director lingered on holding onto her hand, even managing to caress her hand a little before Shin Hye tried her best to release it from his hold. Despite her nerves and worries, she tried to maintain her professionalism by striking a conversation.

"Where are the other staffs? How can they let a casting director do the work all alone?"

"Well... I am a multi tasker and am good with what I do... So thanks for your concern... But... I will do just fine... I mean we will do just fine... You and me.... So shall we get to work?"

"What should I do?"

"I'll be taking some photos of you... And record some clips... For the audition...."

The first hour was strictly business and professional but things soon took a turn when Shin Hye was told to change into different kind of clothes claiming that it was for her role in the movie. Some were quite revealing for Shin Hye's liking that she hesitantly spoke up as she did not want to disappoint the trusted figure of the director and more so Seunghyun who had presented her with the opportunity of a lifetime.

"I'm sorry... But I don't think I am fitted to wear such clothes..."

"But why? What do you mean by that?" as he approached her closer.

"It's uncomfortable...."

"But it is all part of your job.... Can't believe a nobody like you is already making their demands..."

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean it that way... It's just.... It's just that..."

"It's just what?"

"It's just that I have a... A scarred back... So clothes like this isn't for me..."

"I don't think so... Honestly... It doesn't make you any less attractive...." as he approached her closing in on the distance between them as he continued, "What did you give up for the producer to get such a role?" cornering Shin Hye to one side of the studio.

A frightful Shin Hye managed to reply trying to keep it as civilised as possible, "I think you got the wrong person... I'm not that kind of person... I'm sorry.. But I got to go...." to which he began to grab tightly onto her wrist,

"Did you seduce him and gave him a good service? So why are you playing hard to get here? Is this your way of seducing me? Because it's working... I was told that you'd do anything you've asked of...." as he tried to plant a kiss on Shin Hye's lips to which she quickly dodge and mustered all her strength to push him away and trying to grab her belongings as she attempted to leave the studio. But she was quickly caught up which ripped the clothes that she had on as she fell on the ground, helpless. She tried to cover herself up as much as she could but the man overpowered her in strength. With all her might, she began to muster whatever strength she had left to give one last push and kicked him in the groin, rendering him incapable of catching up with her as she gathered her clothes before escaping the studio on foot. She simply ran as far as she could without looking back; before her legs finally gave in as she plopped on the curb with tears finally streaming down her face. She remained in such a position even though passerbys were staring at her as they walked past her. Her thoughts was simply in a mess and could not figure it out. When she finally realised what she was doing, she simply stood up, took a deep breath, wiped her tears and made her way back home.

When Shin Hye finally reached her home, alone and broken, she cried her heart out. Even the attempts of calls made by Seunghyun's personal secretary was ignored. She was conflicted. For one moment, she thought that Seunghyun was the one to set it up for her. The one to inflict such indescribable pain to her but recalling the words of his personal secretary seems to be stating the opposite. All she knew at that moment was to keep to herself and shut her phone off. She was too scared to do anything and instead wallowed and cried.

Meanwhile, Seunghyun called his personal secretary from overseas to ask of the outcome of the audition, as he could not wait for the good news.

"I'm sorry Sajangnim..."

"What are you sorry for? Why are you sorry when you have done nothing wrong towards me?"

"It's.... It's...."

"It's what? Hurry!"

"The studio it's empty when I got here...."

"When you got there? How could that be when you've been there all these while?"

"That's the thing... I wasn't here to keep Shin Hye-sshi companied as I had some business assignment to handle...."

"What?! What did you just say?! What business assignment?! I did not issue you any! I took care of what is needed before I left didn't I?" A furious Seunghyun was heard on the other line, "I told you clearly to stay by her side!"

"It was a business assignment by Chairman Choi.... So I could not have said no... I'm sorry..."

"Fine whatever... Then where is she now? Get her to the phone..."

"Sajangnim... She is nowhere to be found... I called her... But to no avail..."

"For goodness sake! I can't even trust you to do a simple thing!" as Seunghyun lashed out on his secretary even though he knows that it was not his fault. That conversation prompted Seunghyun to cut his business trip short and booked the earliest flight back home that very day. The key to the shophouse was with him all the time and as soon as his plane touched down, he got in the cab and made his way to the shophouse. He was anxious as he began to unlock the door but when he entered, he saw Shin Hye was busy in the kitchen making bread. A clueless Seunghyun walked on.

"What are you doing here?"

"I should be the one asking you that, Sajangnim.... What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be out of town?"

"You turned off your phone... So I.... I.... I was worried..." as he meekly responded before he continued, "You should be at the practice studio not here!"

Shin Hye was all smiles despite what she went through earlier in the day, "I thought I should take some time off.... And released my stress... I'm sorry... Will I get into trouble for this?"

Seunghyun was weird out and he walked closer towards her. He observed Shin Hye closel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter