One

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Oppa~ Do you think I will be a famous actress once I finished my training?"

"Of course... Of course..."

"You are not saying that just for the sake of pleasing me right?" 

"Why? Why would you say that Shin Hye?"

"Well... Aren't I on the old side as compared to the other trainees?"

"Old? At 22? You must be kidding me dear... You are not old at all... The fact that you are finally doing something for yourself is something to celebrate... I am still feeling bad..."

"Oppa... Don't be feeling bad... You have always been the smarter one among us... That's why I'm better off working than to study... I've never like studying anyways... Unlike the cute nerdy you!" As Shin Hye giggled before she continued to console Min Ho, "And me helping you with the fees isn't that big of a deal.... Furthermore Oppa, I'm sure you'll be there to support me should I not be able to be the actress that I want to become isn't it?"

"Definitely dear... Definitely... I'll do anything for you...."

Shin Hye reminisce the moments she had spent together with her high school lover as she looked at her bump that had been growing ever since she stepped into the cold hard cell which she shared with another four fellow inmates, before tears began to stream down her face. She silenced herself from crying her heart out by biting onto her fist just so no one could hear her.

Flashback

It was a night of celebration as Min Ho had just proposed to Shin Hye, his highschool sweetheart, where he was her senior, as he serenade her with a song.

"Oppa... I thought that this day will never come..."

"Why do you say that Shin Hye?"

"Well.... I found out about your date..."

Min Ho began to shift uncomfortably, as he began to explain himself, "I did not want to go there, I swear but Omma... You know just how she is like... Overbearing like that... Insisting that I go on that blind date... I went just to appease her that's all..."

Shin Hye burst into giggles even though she was still saddened over that fact, "Oppa~ Look at you... I know I know.. I believe you..." as she held onto his hands before he interlaced their fingers together, "I know the ring is not much but I promise you when I make enough money I will definitely buy you another one..."

"Oppa~ Do you really think I am that kind of girl?"

Min Ho smiled while looking at her, "Has training been tough Shin Hye?"

"Hmmm... Tough... But fun... Anyways, finally Appa accepts the fact that I am not going to inherit his bakery business and wanting to pursue acting instead... Not that I am not good at baking... But you know how I really love acting isn't it?"

"Yes. Of course I do... How can I ever forget that, my dear... But as you are on your way to be an actress, well... Do you think we have to hide our relationship?"

"But I am not an actress yet.... Don't worry about that yet Oppa.. Who knows I might not be one..."

"Don't say such things Shin Hye... I'm sure you will succeed... Believe me..."

"Thank you Oppa.. What do I do without you.... You've been my source of strength ever since Omma passed on... Living with Appa can sometimes be difficult... But I understand... He missed Omma... Do you think Omma is smiling now?"

"As she watches over us? I definitely hope that she approves of me..."

"What's there to disapprove... Even Appa dotes on you... He even ensure that you have a car... I know it's old but..."

"It's more than enough Shin Hye... We are both ordinary people... Living day to day on salaried pay..."

"But you will definitely get far Oppa... Look at the brighter side of things alright?"

"The injustice of the rich..."

"Oppa~ Positive thinking..."

They enjoyed the rest of their candlelit dinner together at a comfortable and cozy cafe, where it is frequent by couples due to their fun concept of having their polaroids taken and the ability to leave little graffiti on the walls. The very cafe that they frequent as they were dating. As they were about to head home in the car owned by Shin Hye's father, (an old car in working condition), the rain began to fall and as they drove on, it got heavier and the heavy rain was preventing Min Ho from having a clear view. It did not help that the wipers were not working properly. And as he continued to drive under those circumstances, the sudden glare of headlights from the oncoming truck caused Min Ho to swerve the car and knocked onto metal and plastic barrels that were left behind from prior construction and roadworks.

Or so he thought....

He stepped out of the car to check on what went on as he assured Shin Hye to stay in the car. As he walked towards the knocked over barrels, there laid lifelessly a female body. He stood there frozen. Shin Hye who was worried about him stepped out before he quickly ushered her back to the car as he proclaimed nothing had happened.

"Oppa what's wrong?"

"Nothing... It was indeed just barrels... That was knocked over..."

"You don't seem okay Oppa..."

"I am.. Don't worry..."

Min Ho managed to drove her home safely before he drove back to the scene as he stopped and watched from afar that it had been cordoned and the barrels removed. Few days later, there was a knock on the door of the bakery as the police came in to apprehend Mr. Park for investigation as a suspect.

Shin Hye was busy practicing at the training agency when she finally received a phone call. She rushed down to the station and tried to appeal on behalf of her father. As she went on talking about how her father was innocent, she was unaware that someone was listening on to her conversation.

"Appa is innocent.."

"There is a dead woman and you said that your father is innocent..."

"Yes.. He is innocent... He did not drive the car even though it's under his name!" as though Shin Hye did not just heard what the police officer had stated.

"Then you knew who drove the car and did not tell us??"

"No~"

"No? Then?"

"Huh? What dead woman? The car did not hit anyone! It only hit the barrels... There were barrels... We... I mean I hit the barrels..." as it finally dawned on her.

"So you drove the car?! How convenient it is for you that you went to the mechanic the very next day after the incident... To cover up for your irresponsible actions! You had it all planned isn't it?"

"No! I did not sir! I swear!"

"I can't believe what I am listening to at this moment! You seriously wish to deny your deliberate act?!"

Shin Hye could no longer utter a single word. She knew that whatever she is about to say would only cause further harm. From then on, she decided to take it up on her own, while freeing her father and also the man that she loves from any possible implications, while insisting that she is innocent as she described the situation, the heavy rain and how there was a truck with its glaring headlights. Disgusted by the confession, the man who was listening on to her her left the station. Min Ho upon hearing the news met up with Shin Hye after she was released as there were still insufficient evidence.

"Oppa... You have a bright future ahead of you... Rest assured... I should go instead of you... Don't sacrifice all the time that you have spent studying law just so you could spend your time after graduation in prison... So please..."

"Are you crazy Shin Hye? Why do you want to admit something that you did not do?"

"And instead to allow you to ruin your opportunity? It was an accident Oppa... Plus you have always wanted to be a public prosecutor... And now that you finally have the chance, you want to simply give it up?"

"But Shin Hye..."

"Oppa... Say no more please... I trust that you can help me Oppa... It's an accident I'm sure you are able to help me and acquit me of all the charges..."

With that, they made love that very night.

* * *

Min Ho was in the office preparing the case trying to find a way to assist in Shin Hye's case. The relationship that they shared were concealed as they kept mum thus he was coincidentally given the task to prosecute his very own girlfriend. He was alone in the office and was busy consolidating his notes when he was approached by an imposing figure just by the aura that the man was oozing. Min Ho's concentration was disturbed by a deep husky voice,

"So you are the assigned prosecutor? It's nice to see you hard at work..."

"Who are you? What are you doing here?"

"Does it really matter who I am?"

"You have no right to be here..."

"Right?" as he let out a laughter, "Guess you are really a newbie..."

"What do you want?"

"I just want justice to be served... That's what I want... A proper justice to be served..."

"Huh?"

"Why? Don't you understand the simple words that I am uttering at this very moment? You are a prosecutor... And you have an upcoming case soon enough.. I simply want to see proper prosecution... For the injustice committed by that very woman..." while he pointed to the picture of Shin Hye that was attached to the case file, "The death she had caused to the love of my life and my unborn child... Prosecute her with the heaviest sentence ever.... How dare she still had the cheek to deny the fact at the police station..." said the man in a serious tone as he stared out into Min Ho's eyes whose pupils were quvering slightly, before leaving the room as though he had said nothing at all. Min Ho was shakened that he remained in his office until daybreaks. He fell asleep on his desk with his forehead resting in his hands. 

"Min Ho~ Ya~! Wake up~!" as one of his senior colleague tapped on one of his shoulders. Min Ho struggled but finally managed to sit up on his chair.

"Why didn't you go home?? Trying to be the righteous man that you have been preaching since day one you entered here?" as the senior passed a sarcastic remark.

Min Ho did not even show any signs of retaliation as he was already heavily bothered by last night incident. He stood up from his chair and made his way to the washroom ignoring his senior altogether. He perked up after dousing himself with cold running tap water. He looked at himself in the mirror before dousing his face with water again,

This is not the time to be shakened....

When he finally reached into the office again, Min Ho walked straight to his senior's table and made some inquiry, taking his senior by surprise, "Ya! The washroom has ran out of paper or what?"

"No.. But I need to ask you something..."

"What is it that you want?"

"Is there someone who works here? A man... Who is about 180cm in height.. Distinct features... With thick eyebrows..?"

"Huh? Are you dreaming, Min Ho? Or just lack of sleep?"

"I spoke to him last night... About 15 minutes after you left... So by any chance you had an encounter with him? At the corridor perhaps?"

"Oh him?"

"You know him?"

"He's the son of the Chairman Choi..."

"Chairman Choi? You mean one of the chaebols that run the country?"

"Here comes the righteous Min Ho again... Yes he is the son so?"

"How in the world did he got himself in here?"

"Well he drops by after he found out who is the prosecutor in-charge of the case that he has high interest in..."

"And you didn't even have the courtesy to tell me?"

"Well... I thought you knew very well how this whole thing works... Since you clearly told me so on the very first day of work... That what you were told to do were boring chores and you wanted a real case... So now that you have the chance you are pushing the blame on me of not telling you?"

"Fine, I'm sorry..." as Min Ho hurriedly apologised before making his way out and back to his home where he shared it with his parents. As soon as he stepped into the house, he was welcomed by his mother, "Min Ho ya~ Where have you been? I've been trying to call you all night."

"Where else.. Work of course..."

"Aigoo~ My poor child... It must have been hard on you... Eat something before you take your rest, my son..." as his mother his hair.

"I need sleep..." before walking straight to his room, shutting the door and locking it, keeping to himself even though his mother was knocking on his door due to her worries. Min Ho continued to ignore her as he shut his ears with his pillow, without realising that Shin Hye had been trying to call him.

The day of the trial finally arrived and just before Min Ho stepped into the court, the imposing figure was there yet again, as he reiterated his intention, "Please do a good job, Prosecutor Lee... I trust that you will do a good job... I'll be waiting for good news, will see you again once the hearing is over..." before he walked off.

Choi Seunghyun, the son of Chairman Choi did not want to attend the hearing as he loathe at seeing the person who had killed both his lover and his unborn child. Furthermore, the secret relationship that he shared with his lover was against his father's wishes so to be attending the hearing would only cause unnecessary attention and further rifts between himself and his father.

The trial went on as evidences going against Shin Hye was laid out infront of the judge. Shin Hye sat down with her head hanging low as she listened on the allegations against her. However, the real pain came when Min Ho finally issued a proposed sentencing for her, "Your honour, this woman, seated over here had caused grievious harm to an innocent woman and to an unborn child. It is definitely an act that cannot be condoned and should be set as an example for others, to act more responsibly," as he paused while the words of Seunghyun played in his head, making his decision there and then "So with that your honour, I proposed for the maximum length of time for the defendant."

And Shin Hye could not hold in her tears any longer as the judge sentenced her to six years in prison.

When the hearing finally ended, the pair of lovers exchanged gazes before they were separated as Shin Hye was taken away by the officers. As Min Ho stepped out of the court, he was greeted by the smiling Choi Seunghyun, "You are indeed a trustworthy and reliable prosecutor..."

Min Ho on the other hand was not happy to see him at all as he replied in a deadpan manner, "I was only doing my job..."

"Well of course.. You were doing your job... And for that great job... You shall be rewarded... Even though you have been a nuisance to my father's company... "

"What do you mean by that? A bribe?"

"Bribe? Why the use of such crude words? It's not a bribe... You did well.. So I am rewarding you for the good effort... That's all... I'm sure you are having difficulty at your workplace after you raided one of my father's businesses and accused one of the most influential politician for dipping his hands into the world of profits... Because I heard your reputation about being a righteous prosecutor... I can definitely see the good quality at play, today... It's definitely not bad at all..."

"What are you driving at, Choi Seunghyun-sshi?"

"You don't have to be all angry... If anybody is to be angry, it should be me... But I just want to let you know that you are invited to a party... A party where a lot of major attorneys might be looking for someone to work for them... Despite the investigation that you yourself are placed on because of the unnecessary actions you took against others. Think about it alright? Just know that you are invited."

The nickname that Min Ho had earned was due to the fact that he acted rashly while trying to prosecute an influential family, particularly the Choi's. He was caught up in trying to put the illegal dealings that had been going on within the family to justice even though the head prosecutor had told him to call it off. He did not heed the advice and got himself into a fix and was place under investigation for insubordination. He had since tried to look for other prospects with other law firms but was not successful due to his reputation thus it triggered him to go to the dinner party that Seunghyun had invited him to.

Min Ho was feeling uncomfortable in the sea of people. And Seunghyun finally spotted him in the crowd, "Ahhh~~ You are here.... You finally made it... Wise decision Min Ho-sshi... I'll introduce you to someone alright... " as he placed his hand around the Min Ho's shoulders, before they stopped by another man, "Attorney Kim, this is Min Ho-sshi... He is a really reliable prosecutor and has been a fan of yours or so I heard... Have a good chat the two of you...."

Meanwhile, Seunghyun was busy mingling and keeping his distance from his childhood friend that he was matchmade to, Bae Suzy. The influential politician daughter who has high interest in the booming entertainment business in South Korea.

"Seunghyun Oppa~ I need to talk to you..."

"What is it that you want? I'm busy at the moment..."

"You seriously want to put up with this act infront of me?"

"Fine... Fine.."

They stood at one side of the dining hall where there were no one in close proximity.

"So? Speak?"

"Oppa~ Do you have to be so cold towards me?"

"You have been cold towards me too isn't it? Ever since the news of the marriage? It seems to me that you are not interested in the marriage at all..."

"That makes the two of us then?"

"Honestly, do you not want to be married to me? And what do you view this marriage as?"

"A business.. Just plain business..." as Suzy lied. She indeed love Seunghyun. She had been harbouring feelings for him all along and was definitely the happiest when news of their matchmaking happened. She had even postponed her studies in the arts and flew back to South Korea as per her father's wishes due to their upcoming wedding.

"Well there you go then... A business it shall be..."

"Oppa~ How is it possible that you can be void of any human feelings? It can't be because of her isn't it? She has passed on already, Oppa~"

"Shut your mouth... You have no right to speak of her..."

"No right? When you are sad... And when you need someone... You called for me... You even flew to London just so you could confide in me and you said I have no right?"

"You know what? I am uncomfortable when you are all emotional like this... I prefer the chic you.. In all honesty..."

Suzy could no longer stand the unfeeling words that Seunghyun was uttering towards her that she walked off towards a spiral staircase outside the hall away from the crowd. Min Ho who was getting restless walked out of the hall to get some fresh air as he chanced upon a crying woman seated at the staircase.

"Are you alright, Miss?"

Suzy stopped her cries as she looked up, "Yes... I'm fine... Sorry for blocking your way..."

"No it's okay... You sure you are alright? You don't look like it..."

"Yes I'm fine... Don't worry..."

"Well... If you say so then... But this is the least I could do," as he handed over the handkerchief he had in his pocket to her.

She was hesitant to take it but he insisted as he placed the handkerchief in her hands before closing it and walked away. As he turned around, "Wait... What's your name, Mister?"

"Min Ho... It's Min Ho..."

End of Flashback

"Shin Hye ya~ Why aren't you sleeping?" as one of the inmates whispered, "If you don't need the rest, the baby needs it... And it's not good for a woman to be crying while she's going through her pregnancy..."

"Mianhae Unnie~ Sorry for disturbing your sleep..."

"Ani~ It's okay... If you take it easy... Even the long nights will seem shorter..."

Shin Hye took it in her stride as she served her sentence day by day. It was finally the day of her birth as she delivered in prison. She was feeding her baby when one of the prison guard who was assigned to care for her spoke of the harsh truth that she was about to face.

"Shin Hye..." said the lady prison guard. It was unlike the usual demeanour where prisoners are called out by their assigned numbers. For the first time ever, the guard called her name.

Shin Hye who was intially taken aback managed to reply, "Yes ma'am..."

"I am sorry for saying this but I was told to inform you that once the baby is of 18 months old, he will not be able to remain here in prison with you."

The smile on Shin Hye's face was immediately wiped off upon hearing the news as she listened on to the future that she had to face, "You will need to inform the father of the child or your next-of-kin for the necessary arrangement to be made one he reaches of age..."

"Yes ma'am... I'll take note of that... Thank you.." as Shin Hye said with a heavy heart.

Shin Hye was allowed to recuperate before joining the rest of the inmates in the cell. Soon enough, 16 months had passed and after her baby had fallen asleep, she wrote a letter to Min Ho, sent to her very own address. Just before she was apprehended for good, she made an arrangement with Min Ho to take care of her father from time to time while she was incarcerated and that she would continue to send letters to him via her father's house. When she was finally done with her writing, she looked upon her child with tears welling up in her eyes.

Meanwhile, Min Ho who had finally received the letter, was reading it with a conflicted heart particularly with the very fact that Shin Hye had kept her pregnancy a secret all this while. It took him by surprise at the mention of their child in the letter. He was reading the letter at a cafe after his ongoing battle with the conglomerates and politicians had finally came to a halt thanks to the Choi's proposition for him via Chairman Choi's personal secretary; to work as the director for a group of attorneys in-charge of Chairman Choi's business. After some deliberation, he decided to take the opportunity presented to him. As soon as Seunghyun heard this, he took the chance to further taunt Min Ho when he received news that Shin Hye, due to her good behaviour was placed on parole - a golden opportunity for her to able to minimise the separation between herself and her child. Seunghyun came by Min Ho's workplace on one afternoon, the day before the parole.

"Fancy chancing upon you here Min Ho-sshi..."

"Chance? More like you had it all planned..."

Seunghyun laughed at Min Ho's remarks cynically before he continued, "I heard about that woman's parole..."

"What are you talking about?"

"The hearing is tomorrow right? So you should know what to do right? You have done it once... No harm doing it twice... All I want is for justice to be served. I mean it's not right for a murderer to be let loose easily isn't it?"

Min Ho remained silent but Seunghyun simply continued, "I trust you to do a good job yet again.. A request.. A sincere request... And by the way, I will welcome you with open arms when you come onboard."

The next morning, Shin Hye just came back from the bathroom and was preparing to carry out the duties assigned to her for the day when she realized that her baby was not in the cell.

"Where is he? Where is Yongie? WHERE IS HE?!"

"Calm down Shin Hye..."

"How do you expect me to calm down?!"

"No no... The guards took him away..."

"But why?! He's my child! It's not time yet! He's not even 18 months old!"

"Somebody told the guards that you have been abusing him and now he's in the hospital section of the prison."

"What?! Abuse?!" Shin Hye immediately ran towards the hospital wings despite the many attempts of the guards asking her to stop. She resisted arrest and the guards finally took a harsher tone towards her as they pinned her down on the ground.

"Let me go! I need to see my son!"

"You better calm down before further actions is taken on you!"

"CAN'T YOU HEAR ME?! I SAID I NEED TO SEE MY SON! LET ME GO!"

One of the guards stationed nearby finally came by and took the opportunity to sedate her as she struggled meaninglessly while being pinned down by two other prison guards, before she finally closed her eyes from the effects of the tanquilizer. Just before she lost conciousness, she managed to hear the last words of the guards, So it's true she is definitely stressed... Suffering from depression... Poor thing...

When Shin Hye finally came round, she found herself strapped onto the bed and began to struggle but realised that her energy had been depleted as the sedative was still in effect. The prison guard that was assigned to care for her came by and shook her head as she looked on a listless Shin Hye.

"Ma...'am...." as Shin Hye spoke with much difficulty, "Mmm..y...son..."

"Don't worry about him... He is now in safe hands... Rest assured.. But yourself... You have ruined your only chance of parole..."

Without a word, a tear drop slides down the corner of Shin Hye's eyes, as she felt powerless and useless. Self-blame was on a high as it dawned on her of her painful reality with no one to turn to. The next day, Shin Hye was finally released from the hospital prison and rejoined the rest of the prison community. She was seated at the yard alone and sad as flashes of happier times came through her thoughts. She knew that nothing can be done now that she is disconnected with the outside world. Furthermore her only source of information, Min Ho has not been writing to her with his last letter stating that there's no need for her to worry and that everything is being taken care of and that all she needed to do was to serve her sentence well. Going through prison life without her child became unbearable but unknown to her, someone was rejoicing at the sight of her despair.

"Thank you Choi Seunghyun-sshi, for your contributions to this prison... Your sponsorship and donations matters alot to us..." said the Director of the Prison as they stood at one of the watch towers overlooking the yard.

"Don't mention it... It's the least I could do... My family should have done this earlier... To give back to society... I can't help but to feel good about it..." with eyes not deviating away from his target, Shin Hye, before he finally walked away from the site feeling satisfied.

* * *

The day of her release from prison finally arrived. As she made her first step out of prison, Min Ho was there to welcome her back.

"Shin Hye ya~"

"Oppa~ Min Ho Oppa~"

Min Ho ran over towards her to give her a tight hug, "It must have been hard on you, Shin Hye... It's all over now... Thank goodness..."

Shin Hye was crying but all smiles at Min Ho's words as she bask in the warmth of the embrace by her lover. Yet again, unknown to them, someone was witnessing their reunion.

This is interesting... They knew each other? Just what are they?

Seunghyun watched on till he could watched on no longer and decided to drove pass by them, dangerously close, almost about to hit the couple before swerving off, giving both Min Ho and Shin Hye a huge scare. But he drove past fast enough for his license plate to be clearly identified.

While Min Ho was driving, Shin Hye who was eager to hear about the updates while she was away could not stop asking Min Ho about their son, "Oppa~ Let's go and see our Yongie... You mentioned that after he was placed under foster care, Ommoni was kind enough to home him while I'm still serving my sentence right?"

"Shin Hye ya~ We'll talk at home alright? Rest first... I'm sure it must have been hard for you to have a good sleep inside. I'll wake you up when we have reached..."

"Arasso, Oppa..."

When they have finally reached home, Shin Hye found out the bakery shophouse to be covered by newspapers and as they made their way to the second storey, there was no one in the house as she quickly questioned Min Ho, "Oppa, where's Appa?"

"I've placed him in a nursing home because I was not able to care for him much due to my busy schedule..."

"Mwo?! What did you just day Oppa? Nursing home?! You sent him there without informing me?!"

"Then what am I supposed to do?! I am busy... Do you expect me to wait on him daily? You know his health worsened..." before Min Ho could finish his sentence,

"Worsened because of me... After he realised that I was incarcerated... Yes.. It is all my fault Oppa..."

As though it is not the worst news Shin Hye could receive upon her release, "And there's something that I need to tell you too..."

"What is it, Oppa?"

"About Yongie..."

"What about him Oppa? Where is he anyway?"

"He... He..." as Min Ho stuttered, "Tell me, Oppa, quick!"

"Yongie... He... He has passed on... I'm sorry..."

"Mwo?! THIS CAN'T BE TRUE OPPA! TELL ME ITS ALL A LIE!"

"I'm sorry Shin Hye... He was taken ill... And Omma tried her best to care for him... But he had a lung infection... I'm sorry..." as he showed her the death certificate of their child.

Shin Hye finally broke down on the floor crying her heart out. Suddenly, the issue of her father in the nursing home became so small as compared to the huge boulder that she had just received about her son, Yongie.

"Shin Hye... I am sorry..."

Shin Hye remained speechless and simply could not reply and comprehend to the apologies that Min Ho was relaying, before she finally said, "Oppa... I need some time alone... Please leave..."

"But Shin Hye~"

"Please leave Oppa~ I need time.. And don't worry I'll be fine..." said Shin Hye almost begging to which Min Ho reluctantly adhere to.

Shin Hye laid down on the floor feeling helpless yet again as she cried her heart out before she finally sobered up the very next day as she made her way to meet her father in the nursing home.

"I would like my father to be discharged from the nursing home. I'll take care of him from now on..." said Shin Hye. But upon looking at the condition that her father was in, it broke her heart.

"What happen to him, nurse?"

"His condition deteriorate of late..."

"And nothing was done?"

"Well we've been trying to coax him but he won't listen to us... And furthermore, we have yet to receive the consent from his next-of-kin for any treatment..."

"What?"

"No one has been visiting him... Well only for the first couple of months..."

Shin Hye took a deep breath before she walked towards the bed that her father was lying on, "Appa~" as she tenderly called him.

"Orh?! Shin Hye ya~ Shin Hye ya~" as her father remembered her despite his state on the verge of being completely senile.

"Appa~" as she shed tears yet again., "I'm sorry Appa~ I'm sorry~"

"Shin Hye ya~ Take me out of here..."

"Neh Ahboeji... Neh... We are getting out of here... I'll take care of you from now on..."

She prepared for her father a set of new clothes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter