홍지수

Nothing Else Can Go Wrong, Right?


She opened her closet door, thumbing through her clothes for the hundred and second time.
Why do I own so many cardigans? I don't even have enough shirts to put them over. I've got to stop. Oh .
One of them happened to be too heavy for the hanger it was on, and decided to jump ship.
She leaned down to pick it up, a navy blue boyfriend cardigan that was arguably the coziest one she owned, when something - or many things - caught her eyes.
She let out a sigh, reaching to grab one -  one out of the at least twenty that were sitting on her closet floor.
Looking into the bag, a smile began to spread across her face. 
It was a pair of shoes she had been eyeing for the longest time. She still remembers when she had showed them to him.

"Honest opinion." 
"I don't know... They sort of look like Jesus sandals?"
"Joshua!" She exclaimed, playfully hitting his head with her iPad, "I'm serious. I don't know, I sort of like them but I sort of don't? I think they would go nice with a few things in my closet and I don't really have many open toed shoes - oh they would look really nice with those jeans I just bought - but then again, they are a hundred dollars and that is a lot of money especially if I'm not sure about them, but then again I coul- mmf." 
Her words were cut short and she let out a muffled noise, surprised by his lips on hers.
Immediately, she tried to pull away, but he was insistent, and continued to take her breath away with every small movement.

"You're thinking too much about this." He chuckled, pulling away.
She stared at him for a while, pouting before responding, "Jisoo, this is a big decision in my life and I would appreciate it if you took it seriously."
He let out a laugh, ruffling her hair, as she continued to frown
.

That was probably the first gift he had bought her in his little marathon of purchases.
But she didn't have the heart to open them. He was so sweet to her, always so caring, and maybe he thought that these gifts would make up for the lost time, but all she really wanted was for him to be with her. She didn't really care if it was just for an hour, no - even half an hour- she just wanted to see him in front of her and not through a screen. And she didn't like that he kept feeling sorry. She understood that it wasn't his fault, in fact, she was so proud of him for doing this - doing what he loved. But all of the clothes, all of the gadgets, all of the flowers, all of the makeup, all of it, all it ever did was make her miss him.

She placed the bag back down, tucking it away with the rest of his gifts. Closing the closet door, she gave her calendar one last glance. 
July 14.
It really was today. The day the boys all got a break. The day he would come back.
Determined, she threw her cardigan on and marched out of her bedroom.

I'm going to tell him. Today's the day, you've got this. 
Okay, first things first, smoothie time.

She knew his was working his off and probably not eating all too well, so like any good girlfriend, she was going to make a home cooked meal for him.

One cup of mango chunks, where did I put the pineapple?

She dumped the mango into the blender and went digging around in her fridge for the pineapple. Once that was in, she eyeballed the milk and began to blend away. That is - until the smoothie decided it didn't enjoy this kind of treatment and decided to do some voodoo or something on the blender, making it stop.
The drink began to leak out from beneath the blender, causing her eyes to widen. She took off her cardigan, setting it aside so that it wouldn't get ruined, and took a long stare at the blender. 
Well god damn it. The blade.
She slapped herself.
You forgot the blade.
Okay, no big deal, the drink is done anyways, you can buy a new blender later.

She poured the drink into two tall glasses, set them aside, and moved on to the next dish: rice.
Plain and simple, there was no way she could mess this up, right?
She took the rice out of the bowl that she had left it to soak in, washing it one last time before adding it to the pot of boiling water. A few drops evacuated the burning pot and landed on her skin, leaving her with a few burns on her hands. They were just swollen, no big deal. 
Once the rice was all done, she placed it on the table along with an array of side dishes that she had made along with her mother, well, her mother had made while she helped. She did help. They were partially her creation. Partially.

One last dish was left. 
She pulled the meat out from the refrigerator, and by now, it was done marinating. 
She began to cook it, carefully turning it over as it was done cooking on one side, when she heard footsteps behind her. 
Her heart rate quickened, and she began to get nervous when a pair of all too familiar, but much too missed, arms wrapped themselves around her waist.

"How did you get in?"
"You gave me the password over a month ago, don't you remember?"
"Oh yeah, I forgot."
He lowered his head to place a kiss on her cheek.
"Is this all for me?"
"It's not much, but it is - I just have to finish the bulgogi and-"
"What happened to your hands?" His voice came out rushed and the sudden change in volume caused her to flinch. The kitchen tongs fell out of her hand and landed in the pan, and due to that, the oil began to spark, a few droplets landing on her arm. 
She yelped in pain, and Joshua's eyes widened.
"Oh my - are you okay?" He began to get frantic, taking her by the arm and leading her to the sink. He the cold water and put her hands underneath it. 
"Stay there while I get some ice."
He took a few pieces of ice and a few pieces of paper towels, folding them into thin strips and putting the ice into them. He wrapped them around her burns, and to hold them in place, he placed a hair tie over each one.

"What happened? Why is your blender by the trash? Why are your hands hurt?"  
"Josh, it's really nothing, I promise, I'm fine, see?" She smiled widely, "it doesn't hurt at all!"
"What were you thinking?"
"Nothing, I just-"
"What were you thinking?" He asked again.
"Listen, Jisoo, you always buy me all these gifts and I always feel so sorry and I know you do it because you feel sorry but you don't have to, really, I'm fine. I mean, I miss you like hell, but the gifts only make me think of you more and then I miss you more and then I don't know what to do with myself and I wanted to tell you today that you really should stop because I know how hard you work doing what you love and I shouldn't be reaping the benefits for it, it's not fair to either of us. I know how hard it is for you so I decided to make you a meal but then my blender broke because I forgot to put the blade in - honestly how could I forget the blade I mean I bought it and it was clearly a four piece set - and then my rice water burned my hand and then the meat was supposed to be my redemption piece but it didn't work out too well and I don't know, Josh, you do so much for me and I don't think I can ever do enough for you so I'm sor- eh"
He was soft, soft in his demeanor, soft in his movements, and soft when he kissed her. He was never one to be hasty, in fact, the only surprises he pulled were like this one - kissing her out of the blue. He pulled her closer, dragging out every gesture, while she melted in his arms. 
She was the first one to pull away, letting out a huff of air and furrowing her brows.
"You talk too much."
She hated when his voice got low, it drove her insane.
She hit him lightly in his shoulder, "and you are too touchy feely."
"I can't help it," he shrugged, the ends of his lips rising, "besides, I've been away from you for too long."
"No, but really, stop buying me gifts, please?"
He reached for her waist, bringing her closer and kissing her forehead, "if that is what you really want."
She squirmed around in his grasp, mumbling under her breath, "what I really want is to be with you."
"What was that?" He teased, tightening his grip on her.
"Nothing."
"Let's eat," he smiled, "I'm dying to drink the smoothie that killed your blender. By the way do you want a new one, I could totally-"
She pecked his lips.
"I think it's you who talks to much."