Chapter 1

Being the 14th member of Super Junior isn't easy... ~HIATUS~

 

            Sunday, 10:00. I was in a bus. I looked towards the outside landscape: the buildings as far as my eyes could see and some signs which I still didn’t understand... South Korea... I was there only for four months but I had the impression that I was there for many years, it was... Strange... Then I heard the persons behind me speaking but I only understood some words, understanding that they spoke "about the cute boy who was in front of them"... I didn’t try to understand anymore, taking out my IPod. I put the first music which appeared in reading, cutting me of the world which surrounded me. I had come here to realize my dream: To be a singer. I had been spotted a few months ago in an audition, further to it everything has been very chained. Too fast. Audition, applause, signature of contract, moving, training... Yes, I clearly spent most of my time in training because the simple fact of signing this contract didn’t assure me to become a star, far from there. First I had to show all my abilities. My status of foreigner not often helping me...

Then I finally arrived at destination. I came down of the bus, my violin case in my right hand and my sports bag in my left hand. I arrived at SM Entertainment, the agency which had hired me. I quickly crossed the front door, then the hall. I crossed some other trainees, these having a bigger seniority in the agency, I bowed to them. Since my arrival I had learnt several things, one of them was to show a very big respect to the persons having a bigger seniority in the agency. In other words, in my case, I had to greet 99 % of the persons presents... And usually I had no salute in return. At the bottom of my heart, I had sworn to show a bigger respect to the others even if they would be younger than me... It also managed to me to cross some stars, and them, even more than the others, deserved a very big respect.

In brief, I went to one of the dancing room made for trainees like me. I found a completely empty one, that was good, I preferred to train alone. Then I put my affairs in a corner and left changing. After that, I put some music and chained some warm-ups. Given that I had planned to spend the day here, I had to be well prepared…

Three hours later, I was now sat on one of the present benches, wiping the sweat which had made its appearance on my forehead with a towel. I didn’t feel anymore my legs, I had forced too much... For these three hours the door had been opened several times, obliging me to stop and to greet these persons even if I didn’t know them. Then the door has been closed so fast as it has been opened what arranged me a lot. I didn’t really frequent the other trainees because most of them look down on the newbies and because I still had some problems with the Korean language. I had improved rather quickly in this language but I always had some problems, I also had bases in Chinese but that was all... That’s why, every evening, I took lessons, whether it was in Korean or in Chinese. I had to improve, fast and good.

After a few minutes, I finally decided to get up, my legs agreeing this time to carry me. However I didn’t start to dance again, preferring to open my case and bring out delicately my violin. After putting me in position, I began playing a rather lively melody to motivate me. I also chained some dance steps. I had realized that the violin didn’t seem very interesting for many persons. So I had joined into it dance steps. This had made many effects. Maybe it is thanks to it that I had managed to sign this contract...

Without realizing it, the time passed in a hallucinating speed and it was already 19:00. It was time to go back home to do my homework. I knew that this week, like the others, I wasn’t going to have time to train. However I didn’t lose courage, I sacrificed my life in Canada to be here, I wouldn’t give up. I swear that I would make a success.

The next day, I listened absently to the lessons, the teachers leaving me generally alone, understanding that I had some difficulties to understand what they were saying. If they knew... I understood much better than they thought... But well… I had some friends in this high school but I didn’t really try to become integrated. They accepted my presence without a problem in the high school however I have never tried to frequent them outside. I had to dedicate myself to my training, it was the most important.

21:00, finally the end of the lessons. I had spent the rest of the afternoon at the dance club. The korean school system was really different from the one that I had followed in Canada but I had eventually adapted myself. Although the lessons finished towards 16:30, after we had some work in autonomy, whether it was for the homework than for the club which we belonged. During my inscription I had opted for the dance club although I had hesitated with the music club. Well, in the end, in the dance club there were not many people and they accepted without a single problem that I play from time to time the violin. They always said to me that it was very surprising to see somebody dancing and playing the violin at the same time. I had never said to them that I was under contract with one of the most powerful agencies of South Korea... I always wondered how they would react if I said to them... Or maybe they already knew it? I knew strictly nothing about it.... And I didn’t really try to know it.

Then I left directly towards my apartment to be able to work my chinese, really not having time to go to train me at the agency.

Four days passed in the same way, or almost. On Friday evening I had a call from the agency, they asked me to come the next day in 9:00 in a room, no delay was accepted. I wanted to ask for more informations but I couldn’t, my interlocutor had already hung up...

This night I didn’t sleep very well, nightmares invading my dreams which were usually peaceful. I woke up with a start. By touching my forehead, I realized that I was sweaty. I was afraid... It was the first time which they called me like that... What did I have to expect? Hadn’t I made enough efforts during these last months? I looked then at the alarm clock, this one indicated 5:50. Knowing that I wasn’t going to manage to fall asleep again I got up and went in the bathroom to cross me some fresh water on my face. I was exhausted... This night had no repair effect, it was all the opposite. To wake me up, I took a shower. After that, I returned to my room to take my violin. It was now 6:30 and I began to play the violin... I was not sure whether it was a good idea but play it was the only thing which allowed me to relax. This morning I didn’t have breakfast, what was an extremely rare fact. But I knew that nothing was going to pass if I tried to eat something, my stomach was as knotted... I had the impression to live the same thing that when I had to leave alone Canada but it was hundred times worse... I finally succeed to relax, closing my eyes to be able to concentrate me. When I have reopened them, I saw that my alarm clock indicated 7:30... Already?! Not wanting to be late, I put back my violin in its case and took it. Arrived in the lounge I took my sports bag, putting it on my shoulder, then I left to the bus stop. The road lasted about twenty minutes later and when I arrived at the agency it was only 8:00... At least I was sure of one thing, I was going to be on time... Having crossed the front door I took the elevator to go to the fifth floor. This floor, I had never surrendered to it previously, it was quite new for me... I ironed the number of the dancing room in which I had to go while greeting some other presents trainees. Arrived at the fifth floor, I was surprised to cross most of the Super Junior members. Hearing me arrive, they all turned towards me... I hurried to bowed to them with a lot of respect. Moreover, I crossed the only chinese member of the group, Hangeng. This one sent me a head sign in return, that was very rare. Then they returned all to their official room, I waited that the door was completely closed to look for the room which had been indicated to me... What was my surprise when I saw that it was the one that Super Junior had just crossed. I rolled my eyes, it was still only 8:00, it was very likely that they would go out of it during the hour. I agreed on my dumb answer then sat on the ground, leaning me against the wall. Finally I could observe with more instigation the corridor. This one was more illuminated and I didn’t doubt that dancing rooms must be better fitted out than the one that we, trainees, used. It was one of the privileges of the persons that had begun, a privilege among many others... The time finished by pass faster than I wanted and, before I realized it, it was already 8:50... And still nobody had gone out of the room... Strange. Had I made a mistake about the room? I was sure that it wasn’t the case… And nevertheless I couldn’t refrain from doubting. The stress submerged me and I had just walked round and round in the corridor. The door finally was opened, Super Junior must have ended what they were doing. At least it was what I thought. Only Leeteuk, the leader of Super Junior, had gone out. This one fixing me what put me inevitably ill-at-ease...

 

-You are Henry Lau?

 

I agreed with a head sign, having suddenly lost the power of speech. Then Leeteuk made a sign to me to go into the room. I hurried to take my business and cross the door of the dancing room. However, arrived in the doorway, I stopped, surprised by the number of persons present: All the Super Junior members, their choreographers as well as their managers and finally Lee Sooman... The president of the agency himself was present. What happened…? Leeteuk took me by shoulders and placed me in the center of the room then he left settling down next to Kangin. I became confused in silent greetings, not understanding exactly why I was here. Some of the people began to murmur between them what put me even more ill-at-ease that I was already. The president made a sign to them to keep silent then looked at me...

 

-Come on. Show us what you can do.

 

I didn’t understand his request. Then this one showed me my violin case which I had put down in the entrance a few minutes ago. Finally I understood, a demonstration, it was what he wanted. But why here? And now? I didn’t try to know it for the moment, taking out carefully my violin. Say that I didn’t even put changing... Nevertheless I was going to chain dance steps all the same. However, in front of high-level dancers such as the choreographers or Eunhyuk, Hangeng, Shindong and Donghae... I was rather badly left... I positioned myself at the center of the room. I closed my eyes and concentrated... Then I began to play a soft melody, to begin slowly. Then I accelerated the rhythm of the music, making me open my eyes and turn on myself. I continued to dance like this during several minutes while continuing to play diverse melodies with my violin. When I had finish some applauses were heard. I thanked with a head sign the persons who had applauded me then I put back my attention on the president of the agency. This one got up, taking place next to me. It turned me towards the Super Junior members who fixed me all. Then he pronounced these words...

 

-Henry is your fourteenth member. He will make an appearance as a violinist during your new music video "Don’t Don" and according to the reactions of the public we will see how will take place the continuation.

 

I was shocked. Me? The fourteenth member of Super Junior? Yeah, in my dreams... In the exception that it was the reality... An intense hubbub rose in the dancing room. Then Lee Sooman left the room, followed by the choreographers as well as the managers... In the room there were no more than the thirteen members of Super Junior... As soon as the door was closed some members came towards me. The first one to speak was Kangin...

 

-So it’s you. Our "fourteenth member"... Try to do your best and not pull us towards the bottom.

 

… That was done. He didn’t let me some time to talk and left the room, followed by Leeteuk, this one telling me to not take too much in heart what had just said Kangin to me. Easy to say but difficult to do... Some Super Junior members greeted me then left immediately the room, they had probably other things to do. At the end there were only Hangeng, Heechul, Donghae, Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun. Five members out of thirteen, good average right? They all five had sat down, or lengthened on the ground, whereas I was still standing. Then Heechul made a sign to me which told me to join them, what I made without further delay, glad to be a bit accepted among them...

 

 

____________________________________

It was my first chapter!~

How was it it? Interesting or not?

I hope to have your opinions~ :)