1/2

Dream

Night time was your favorite time of the day. Every night, your mother would tuck you under the covers and tell you her bedtime story about a young boy. That young boy was someone who would fly from house to house and help little children fall to sleep.

 

His name was Sandman.

 

You giggled at the name, saying that a boy shouldn’t be called a man.

 

The story always starts with the parents of the young boy crying in front of his tombstone; not being able to be with him for he died early. It wasn’t anyone’s fault that the boy had died, it was merely the Superior’s plan. The boy died in the world where we live in but he lived in another. He was destined to bring happiness to children especially in their sleep. It was the boy’s task to deliver sweet dreams to all children and the young boy exactly did just that. He would fly from house to house; country to country; just to bring dreams for the sleeping younglings.

 

“What about the young boy, Mama?” you asked every time the story would end. The only question that would always linger in your thoughts. “Was he able to receive sweet dreams too? He is a kid after all.”

 

Your mother shrugged, “I don’t know, dear. You just better ask him when he comes to your room later.” She gently ran her soft hand through your hair. She kissed you goodnight and left the room. You glanced at your window; the sky was vast and filled with illuminating stars.

The story of that young boy always made you wonder how he was. Was he tired from flying around? Was he even eating? Was he happy? It brought you to think of many things. At that very moment, you decided to ask that young boy.

 

One night as usual your mother tucked you in, told the same story and kissed you goodnight. This time you didn’t sleep and kept waiting for the said boy to arrive. You stared at your window, hoping that you’d see someone flying outside or someone come in through your window. It was getting late and you were getting sleepy but you forced yourself awake. You were determined to see the young boy your mother calls the Sandman. Just as you were about to fall asleep, your window gently flew opened.

Cold wind from the outside entered the room. You stirred, pulling your blankets to cover yourself more. You shut your eyes and pretended to be asleep. You heard small footsteps; the young boy had finally arrived.

You heard him come closer and stopped right beside your bed. Is it him? Is it the boy? You thought. You finally opened your eyes and saw a boy that looked just about the same age as you.

A boy wearing white shirt and shorts, his blonde hair messy; pointing to different directions. He was standing beside your bed and was glowing. But before you could even sat upright on your bed, the young boy stepped back and floated midair, heading to the window. He was leaving.

 

“Wait—please don’t go! I have something to ask.” you stumbled out of your bed and reached out to him but your foot got tangled on your blanket causing you to fall down on the floor headfirst. You cried silently, not the pain from the fall but the fact that the Sandman left and you didn’t get to talk to him.

 

Suddenly, gold and glowing dust poured in front of you. You stared at the foreign and somewhat magical material. It soon rose and formed itself into a teddy bear. The glowing dust teddy bear slowly marched towards you and blew on you. Golden dust flew to your face and tickled you. You giggled and watched the teddy bear walked away heading to someone.

You looked up and saw the young boy crouching in front of you. The dust teddy bear turned back into a pile of glowing dust and dissolved. The young boy’s chocolate brown eyes filled with worry; he tilted his head to look at you. You quickly wiped the tears off your cheeks and smiled. Happy to see that the young boy had not fled at all. “It’s nice to see you smile.” He said as he stood and offered you a hand.

 

You took the boy’s hand. Surprisingly, it was soft and warm. Just like your mother’s. He helped you get back on your feet, once you got to stand on your own, you thanked the glowing boy. He smiled and told you that it was nothing and that he was sorry that he ran away a while back.

 

“I apologize. I was surprised to find you awake. I usually come when they’re sleeping.” He stared at you, scanning your whole body. “This is the first time I even get to talk to a person.”

 

“Are you the Sandman?” you asked as the two of you sat on the bed. He sat by the edge of your bed and nodded laughingly. He mentioned to you that people all around the world calls him by that name and it made the young glowing boy laughed since he wasn’t a man at all. A joke that both of you find funny.

 

“That is me but that is not my real name.” he said, playfully swinging his legs back and forth.

 

“What is it then?”

 

“My parents named me Sanghyuk.” He answered, sadness filled his eyes for a second but instantly faded when he heard you speak of his name.

 

You smiled as you let the name slip through your mouth. He smiled back. “You have a pretty name, Sanghyuk. It’s better than Sandman.”

 

He thanked you since he has never heard anyone call him by his name ever since the time he was awakened into what he was. He asked for your name and you easily told your name.

The young boy chuckled as soon as he heard your name. He stated that it suited you well and it was nice to meet someone awake for the first time. He told you that he has never met anyone awake except for the Superior one. It was nice to hear and see someone new and for that the young glowing boy was glad.

 

“I guess I can’t give it to you yet. You’re still awake.” He said and opened his palm. A small amount of glowing gold dust appeared and he started playing with it.

 

“Were you supposed to give me a dream?” you asked and he answered with a nod. He glanced at your way and smiled. He threw the gold dust upward; it rained down on both of you. The young boy stood and raised his hands, controlling the glowing dust. He played with the sand and formed a bunny. You beamed as the creature ran around your room.

He created another bunny and the two dust creatures chased each other around the room. You giggled and clapped enthusiastically. It was something you have never seen. It really was a dream. The young boy chuckled as he motioned for the two bunnies to stop in front of you and sniffed cutely at you. You giggled and petted the two animals.

 

“They’re cute.” You looked at the young boy who was smiling. The glowing dust bunnies ran away and started chasing again. The young boy lowered his arms, palms facing the front. Gold glowing dust came out of the young boy, brightening the entire room with just that. The dust formed lines pointing into different directions just like his messy hair. He motioned his arms upwards and the dust formed into a huge glowing castle. He reached out for your hand and you took it. He led you inside the castle made out of the enchanted material.

 

You and the young boy played all night. That night was filled with fit of laughter. What your mother said about the Sandman was true: he does give happiness to children. Before the night grew even deeper, the glowing boy invited you to sleep since you were still a child and you needed enough sleep. You were against it at first because you didn’t want to sleep yet and wanted for him to stay a bit longer.

 

“I’ll make sure you get to sleep.” He said, holding your hand and gently pulled you back to bed. Just like your mother, he tucked you in and sat beside your bed. He gestured for a pile of gold dust to appear before you. The gold dust formed itself into a little carousel just about the size of your head. You and the glowing young boy watched the carousel moved slowly.

 

“Hyuk.” You called, “Can I call you Hyuk?”

 

The boy chuckled, another first for him; to have a nickname and he liked his nickname. “Yes you may.

 

“You’ll come back tomorrow, right?” you said, glancing at the boy.

 

Your eyes went heavy and moments later, you fell asleep. The glowing young boy smiled and showered a bit of the glowing dust on your head, giving you the dream he was supposed to give you before. “It will be a pleasure of mine to come back.” he got up and flew out of the room.

 

By the time you woke up, it was morning. Your room was back to normal and it seemed like last night’s events never happened but that didn’t stop you from believing it was real. That very night, you waited for him to come back and he did. For nights, you would wait and he would arrive to your room at the same time.

You would wait by the window and he’d tap the window with his finger. Be it playing or talking, you and the young boy never found a night doing nothing. With each night passing, the two of you grew close and formed an unbreakable bond. You and the glowing young boy have depended on each other. It was a friendship you cherished the most for it was pure and real.

 

“Say, Hyuk if you give happiness to others, how about you? Do you get to have your own happiness? Your own sweet dream?” you finally asked the question that bothered you most. The boy smiled; unlike his usual smile that always looked cheerful the smile he showed was somehow sad.

 

“Knowing that someone is happy is already my happiness, that’s how I see it. How about you? What is your happiness?” he said as he watched the glowing dust rings he created move around both of you.

 

You smiled and poked the young boy’s chest. “My happiness is that I get to meet Hyuk. Knowing that I have a true and real friend that will be there for me.”

 

The glowing dust rings crumbled and fell on the floor. The young boy glowed even brighter. A new shade came on his face. Pink. You giggled; the young boy was blushing. He looked at you and muttered that it was his first time to be called a friend by someone. You nudged his shoulder and told him that what you said was true and that you never back out on anything you say.

 

Your friendship with the young boy blossomed within two years but not everything lasts forever.

 

The happiness with your friend turned to a halt. Every time you get to see him, it seemed like the glow within the boy was slowly fading. He wasn’t glowing bright like he used to when you first met him. You asked him about it but he always ignore the question and it made you worry for him.

The young boy was important to you. You can’t think of anything bad happening to him.

 

What you didn’t know was that the glowing young boy was changing. The moment he had met you was the start of it all. The boy began to discover feelings that he has never felt for the thousand years he has been living. Feelings that changed his own view of things. Not only was the boy changing within but also physically outside. The Superior gave him the privilege of immortality but it seemed to disappear when he discovered the so called new feelings. He grew fatigue, he was growing and unfortunately his glow was weakening.

He immediately noticed the change. It troubled the young boy but he never showed it to you because mainly he doesn’t want you to worry but that didn’t matter because you easily detected that there was something troubling your friend.

 

“I think I’m sick.” He finally spilled, avoiding your gaze. “It seems like I’ll be disappearing from this world.” He explained to you what was becoming of him and you cannot do anything. After learning of the truth, the only thing you could do was stare blankly at his smiling face. You realized that the change happening to him was your fault. You cried and apologized. He pulled you into an embrace and whispered words of comfort.

 

“This is not your fault. There is no need for you to cry.” He said, rubbing small circles on your back. “I’ll be alright. Don’t worry.”

 

“Will you be okay?” you sniffed, wrapping your arms tightly around the boy’s figure. “What will happen to you?”

 

He pulled you back so he could see your face. He cupped your face and wiped your wet cheeks, “I actually don’t know. We’ll never know. I guess we just have to see.”

 

The following nights, you noticed drastic changes with the young boy but the two of you ignored it and acted like nothing was happening. He would arrive at your room exhausted from delivering dreams but he would always greet you with a warm smile. As always, you and the glowing boy played with his dust every night but he grew worse and can no longer produce the glowing dust. He was devastated for he did not know what to do anymore. The days of him weakening turned longer, you did your best in cheering him up. He would always smile and tell you that there is no need for you to try because he is happy when he is with you and that his problem disappears when he sees you.

 

The last night with him was hard. Both of you had felt it. You just finished brushing your teeth and putting on your pajamas and went into your bedroom. You stopped at the door when you saw someone. The boy was already seated on your bed. He turned to where you were and smiled weakly. His glow was dim, the young boy was now the shade of pale.

 

“I thought I should see you first.” He stood trembling, “How was your day?”

 

You forced yourself a smile so that the young boy wouldn’t feel worse about himself. “It was fine. Our teacher made us draw things. How about you?” you approached the boy and let him sit down on your bed again. His hand wasn’t warm no more but cold but it still remained soft. He shrugged and closed his eyes.

 

“I went and talked with the Superior one.” He opened his eyes and stared at you. “I am going for a while.”

 

“Will you be gone for long?” you asked, biting your lower lip as for you not to cry. The young boy nodded and ruffled your hair softly. He told you that he does not when he can come back but he was sure that he will be leaving in a short while and he wanted to share his last minutes with his best friend. After that, you and the young boy didn’t play nor talk. The two of you just lied on your bed holding onto each other.

 

“I promise. I’ll come back.”

 

“Hyuk…” you clenched on the boy’s shirt, frightened that he might disappear any moment. “Please don’t go…”

 

He called your name. You forced your eyes shut and trembled. You wished that he wouldn’t leave but once you opened your eyes the boy was gone.

 

 

----

So here's the first half of it =D How was it guys?? I hope you like it^^ I'll post the second half soon (Hopefully) *crossfingers* hihihih. You're still a kid in the first half if you guys were just wondering.

 

blonde hyukkie is my favorite yupyupp

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT AND UPVOTE^^