I can't help falling in love with you

I can't help falling in love with you

I'm lying in the dancing room. I always take shelter here when I want to clear my head or just think. These days, I've got a lot in my head, a lot of questions, a lot of “what if I...”, a lot of “why do I...” and a lot more thoughts forming storms, threatening to give me a headache every passing second.

 

But today, I decided to take action. I decided to answer all those questions. And so that's why I came here, plugged my ipod in the speakers and started the play list I created just for this day. I lied down, closing my eyes, trying to appease my heart with the help of the sweet lyrics echoing in the room.

 

Then, I took my phone out of my pocket, quickly dialed your number and called you. I asked you to come join me here. When you answered that you were leaving the dorm, I was happy. But then, when I put my phone back where it belonged, I started to worry. All my thoughts came back and my heartbeat increased again. I tried to focus on the music and breathed in and out slowly, waiting for you.

 

After several minutes, a new song started to play. The one I wanted you to hear. The one explaining perfectly all my fears, all my doubts, all my feelings. I hummed gently along and heard the door open. My heart missed a beat, but I softly opened my eyes and sat up.

 

I am now facing the mirror, contemplating your reflection. I see you stop in your steps. You're listening to the song, you're trying to understand. You arrived just in time. I get up and turn around. You look at me, asking yourself what we're supposed to do, why I called you and what is this song you're listening to.

 

I come closer to you. You don't move. I slowly put an hand on your hip. You don't understand what I'm doing. I offer my other hand. You look at it and, after a few seconds, you finally slide your hand in mine, putting the other on my shoulder.

 

We start doing small circles in the room. I put my temple against yours, and listen to the song with you. It's already the last verse.

 

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

Some thing are meant to be

 

I hum along. You squeeze my hand a bit tighter. As an answer, I bring your body closer to mine.

 

Take my hand, take my whole life too

 

As the second to last line begins, I move my head back to be able to look at you in the eyes.

 

For I can't help falling in love with yourself

 

Tenderly, I whisper the last line at the same time as the singer.

 

For I can't help falling in love with you”

 

Your eyes light up. You've understood. And I am happy.