Chapter Three: Reminder

Hot Chocolate

The whole crowd of freshmen stood up for a standing ovation. With an energized smile on her face, a middle aged woman walked onto the stage.  The audience slowly settled back into their seats.

“I hope you enjoyed those wonderous performances and displays as much as I did. As you can see what we have shown, those performances and displays each were from the different courses we have here. These performances and displays aren’t only for you to enjoy but to also understand what you will be doing in the respective courses you have chosen. Now. Let’s enjoy a video from the Film Art department which would be accompanied by the Music department before we proceed with the orientation.”

Hands made contact with each other as the audience clapped. “That was so good. Did you see Eunjung? With her partner? Their movements were so fluent.” Jieun started twirling around on the spot. Heeyoung laughed at her friend’s excitement.

She could not help but agree with Jieun. It was such a good performance along with the other departments. She could not help but be biased and say that her most favourite performance was Eunjung’s. Her mind just might change in a few minutes, because a video from her department will be starting in a few seconds.

--------------

Students rushed towards the refreshment tables and out into the courtyard of the college. Jieun and Heeyoung had to fight against the crowd, as they wanted to go towards the stage to where their good friend was.

After much difficulty, they were able to see the stage. As expected, Eunjung was there sitting at the edge of the stage waiting for them.

“Hey.”

Jieun happily sat down next to Eunjung, “That was a great performance, Unnie.” Heeyoung stood in front of them and nodded in agreement, “Such a great performance.” Eunjung flushed with pleasure, “Aww.. You guys are just being nice.” Jieun feigned a gasp, “Omo. How did you know?” Eunjung lifted her hand, threatening to hit Jieun. Jieun giggled and ran away. “Aish. Heeyoung! Jieun is bullying me!” “You’re the Unnie! Stop bringing Heeyoung into our matters! Solve it like a man!” “For Your Information! I’m a woman! Jieun!” “Kyaa!!”

Heeyoung giggled at the sight of her friends’ childish fight, “I’m getting some refreshments! What do you guys want?” “Water, please!” “Sandwich and punch! Thanks!” “Stop ordering her around, Jieun!” “You! Stop ordering her around as well!” “Aish. Stop running away from me!!” Heeyoung shook her head. They never stopped amusing her with their childish antiques. They would argue over and about the smallest things. It was their way of bonding.

Luckily the refreshment tables were spread out, or she would have to work herself through the crowd again to get the drinks and sandwich. They were a few people still roaming near the table, but most of the students seemed to be out in the courtyards.

Heeyoung took two plastic cups and walked over to the dispenser. She filled each cup carefully with the pink colour punch and skillfully slipped a bottle of water under her arm. She stared at the sandwich for a long time before deciding she could get that later.  “Need help?” “No. That’s quite alrigh..” A lump started forming in .

The boy in front of her lips spread into a small smile, “Hey.” Heeyoung tried swallowing the lump before coarsely greeting him, “Annyeongsaeyo.” The boy tilted his head, his small smile widening. “Since when were you this polite.”

Her feet slowly brought her further away from the boy. The boy’s smile faltered, “Hey..” Her eyes darted downwards, her steps distancing between her and the boy. The boy’s smile dropped, “Heeyoung..” Her lids shut tight over her eyes.

The boy ran his fingers through his black hair, letting a sigh escape his lips. “Heeyoung.. I…”

“Yah! Doojoon! I was looking for you..”

Eunjung’s dance partner’s jogging steps slowed as his eyes registered Heeyoung. “Annyeong! Aren’t you one of Eunjung’s friends?” Heeyoung strained herself to look at Eunjung’s dance partner, stiffly nodding. “Cool.” He looked at Doojoon and Heeyoung, “You know Doojoon?” Heeyoung held her breath, replying softly. “Somewhat.” Eunjung’s dance partner asked for her answer again. Heeyoung was hesitant on answering the boy in a louder voice.

*Changsun.. This is not the time to be the oblivious you. Read into the situation. For once, please.* Doojoon’s eyes begged. However, it did not work. Changsun’s smile grew wider. “Where is that dance partner of mine, anyway?”

Heeyoung could feel tears forming in her eyes as she answered the boy’s question in a louder voice, “She is at the stage with my friend. Could you help pass this water bottle and fruit punch to them? Thank you.” She sped out of the scene as soon as Changsun’s hands wrapped around the drinks.

Heeyoung breathed, her back against the outside wall of the hall. Her breaths were ragged, constricted, her hands trembling.

Why? Why did he have to show up now, just as she was getting her act back together? It took her so long to open up again. Jieun was the first friend she made since.. She was nice to stick with her, letting her ease into the friendship. She was finding herself in the flood of emotions and events. No way was she going to allow herself to go down that path again.

An overwhelming burn spread throughout her chest.

“Please don’t hate him.”

Soft steps went unnoticed, a shadow hiding. Heeyoung leaned her head back, closing her eyes and letting the voice echo.

“Please don’t hate him.”

She sighed. *You tell me that but. It is not as easy as you think.* Heeyoung brought the plastic cup to her lips, the cold liquid running down . It cooled her down.

The shadow emerged. “Hee…” As soon as she heard the voice she bailed.

The boy groaned, he sped up his steps to meet hers. “Talk to me. Jaebal.” He ran his fingers through his hair, “Say something. I can’t…” A bell rang and Heeyoung veered her way back to the hall after walking a few metres, “Maybe next time. The orientation is going to start.”

She quickened her steps, leaving a dumfounded Doojoon in the middle of the courtyard. Freshmen passed him, making their way back to the hall.

Heeyoung gripped onto her bag strap. *Doojoon. Not now. Just not now.* The ends of her lips hitched up as soon as she saw Jieun and Eunjung and the doorway of the hall waiting for her.

--------------

Every freshman had to divide themselves into their different departments. Music, Dance, Film Art, Media Sound, Visual Art, Drama and many others.

“We will be dissecting the many different techniques of video editing and…” “Oppa! You’re always so dull when it comes to these things.. Let the professional take over.” The group of freshmen chorused in laughter. “Alright! We would be..”

Heeyoung was at the back of the group admiring all the equipment they would be able to use and vaguely listened in to the tour. Once in awhile, her mind would drift back to Doojoon but it would find itself back to the present. Her fingers lightly grazed the computer keyboard. These were actual videoing equipment and the computers seemed more high tech than the ones she has at home.

The ‘professional’ tour guide paused, “Any questions?” The ‘professional’ guide looked towards, “How about you at the back? Everything alright?” Heeyoung looked up at the tour guide, a shadow of a smile appeared on her face as she shook her head.

“Okay, then! Let’s get down to business. Everyone take a seat and we would start with some ice-breakers!”

The Film Art department freshmen were spilt into smaller groups and given to their senior ‘tour guides’.  Her group consisted of twelve people, including her and the tour guides.

“Sit. Sit. Sit. Let’s start by introducing ourselves. Let’s start with you, cutie.”

The energetic girl’s hand was pointed directly at Heeyoung. Heeyoung eyes rounded at the attention she was receiving, her hands unconsciously fiddled with her bag. She was still uncomfortable with socializing with new people. “Come on.. Don’t be shy. Everyone is new here.” Her senior looked at her with expectancy; however nothing made it to Heeyoung’s mouth. “Alright. I’ll help. Annyeongsaeyo, Haewon-imnida. This is my fourth year in this University. In all honesty, I never want to leave this place. It is amazing being here. I have made so many good friends and even my boyfriend. This boy here is Insu Oppa. He has been one of my good buddies since I came to this school and my boyfriend.” Her index finger flew to her lips, “Shhh.. The teachers do not know that. That’s why we were able to be together. He is a little bit shy so be nice to him, okay?” Haewon winked at the group, causing red blushes and laughter. Her boyfriend’s cheeks were the reddest.

She had a full brown hair reaching her chest, a sweet sincere smile that got the boys in the group blushing, her eyes shined every time she talked, and a melodious voice that people could not stop listening to. She was one of the prettiest girls Heeyoung had ever seen, besides her mother, Jaesun, Jieun and Eunjung. Well. She could not help but be biased towards the people she was close to but Haewon’s beauty was definitely evident.

“Now you go.”

Heeyoung continued playing with her bag strap as all the heads turned to her. She breathed in and mustered up all the courage she could, and slowly stood up. Her body bent over, “Annyeongsaeyo, Nam Heeyoung-imnida.” She sat back down and breathed out. It was the most she could do.

Haewon still had the smile on her face, but a different glint was in her eyes. “Erm.. Talk more about yourself. How you got here? Or.. What inspired you to do this course?” Heeyoung crossed her ankles and looked down, “My brother.” “Your.. brother?” Heeyoung nodded.

The senior smiled awkwardly to the group, she was not used to conservative people. “Okay! Let’s continue.. How about you?”  

Heeyoung sighed and leaned into her bag. That did not go too well.

--------------

The breeze was cool, the sun just over the horizon, waiting to set.

Heeyoung was tired. The orientation was amazing, her seniors were fun and inspiring. The teachers were definitely good, strict yet playful. Right after the introductions of the teachers and their course, they were given a project to do. The teacher wanted to see what standards he had to set for the class. Even though it was not going to be graded, she had a feeling she should give her best for this mini project.

Heeyoung took her brother’s hand, her brother’s hand clutching onto his twin sister’s. “Kamsahabnida, Seonsaegnim.” The teacher smiled, “Be good, all of you. Aren’t you happy your sister came to pick you up today?” The twins looked at their sister and nodded enthusiastically. The girl twin ran over to her older sister’s side and held onto her hand while they waved goodbye to the teacher.

“Unnie/Noona..” The twins called her at the same time. “I’m hungry..” Heeyoung laughed as she squeezed their hands, “Then let’s get something to fill that stomach of yours.”

Heeyoung sighed as she thought back to the text her mother sent her. Her parents have always been busy with work; but they would always try their best to pick up the twins or come home during the weekends to spend time as a family. Most of the time, they were away doing their own things.

“Noona.. Our birthday..” Heeyoung picked Jaehwa up, her nose against his. “We will celebrate it like how we always do, okay?” She looked down at Jaesun, who beamed up at her.

Jaehwa squiggled out of his older sister’s grasp; Heeyoung chuckled as she let her younger brother escape. He started poking and chasing Jaesun. “Jaehwa!” Jaesun ran away from Jaehwa with her palms covering her sides. The camera was out and recording once the twins started running.

Jaesun kept trying to dodge her twin brother’s pokes, at the same time she tried to grab his hands.

For once today, her mind was clear. Nothing came knocking. Problems disappeared for that moment. Her smile never leaving her face as she continued to video her siblings.

“The bus! Unnie!” She slipped her camera back into her camera bag and ran towards the bus to stop it from leaving.

“Ah.. Ah.. Ahjussi. Kamsahabnida.” The uncle smiled at the young girl. Her hand was holding the door, waiting for her siblings to board. “Kamsahabnida.” She thanked the bus uncle once more, tapping her card before she went to find the two rascals.

She tried to steady herself, not wanting to fall, as the bus started moving again. Jaehwa and Jaesun were at the back poking each other non-stop, both erupting into cute laughter.

The bus jerked to a stop, making Heeyoung loose her balance, falling onto a boy standing. Her eyes squint shut as she felt her body hit something soft yet hard. *Uh oh.* She stepped back and bowed multiple times, apologizing. Not daring to look up, her feet brought her to where her siblings sat which was at the back of the bus.

The boy’s hand went to his chest, where Heeyoung’s head had fallen onto. His hand slid down as he looked up to see the brown haired girl playing with the two little kids. Her fingers brushed her long, slightly wavy hair behind her ear. A smile played on the boy’s lips.

“Our stop is here.” The boy let his eyes linger on the girl a little longer before planting his feet off the bus.

His friend looked at him, “Don’t worry. It’s not going to be so bad. They just want to talk to you.” The boy looked down, trying to ease the smile surfacing to his face. Currently, he was not thinking about the interview. His mind was occupied by something else or someone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello my lovely readers!! Thank you for being ever so patient of me to post each chapter out! Thank you so much for not pestering me :) I really do appreciate your kindness :) I know I took off the 'Hiatus' thing.. But I am still quite busy.. To tell you the truth... I still have so much homework and things to do :( And CHRISTMAS IS COMING! So I will be doing some shopping soon :) Hehehe! Oh! I have been editing this chapter non-stop and checking it.. So I hope you will enjoy this! Some of the personalities of each idol I placed in here might be slightly different from the real idol's personality.. So I do apologize in advance. I will continue working hard for you! Kamsahabnida *bows* Hehehehe ENJOY! Thank you for reading! ^^ Please anticipate the folowing chapters!

Korean Vocab:
Aish- An expression in korean for frustration of such
Kya- An expression
Jaebal- Please

Oppa- Boyfriend/Older brother/An older boy (for females)
Noona- Older sister/An older girl (for males)

Seonsaegnim- teacher
Ahjussi- Uncle/An elder man