Prologue

Remember Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a warm day, the soft and welcoming breeze rustling through the air as one of the tall and strong buildings in the bustling city of Seoul, South Korea, shimmered under the bright sunlight. On this beautiful and peaceful day, Seoul National University Hospital was crowded with people walking in and out of the building. Everything seemed the same as usual: patients waited for their doctors, queued for medications, and doctors and nurses bustled with their duties.

However, on a day like this, it felt unusual for some within this building. To be precise, it was a day filled with fear, worry, and sadness for certain people. There was currently surgery taking place in Operating Room 1 on Level 4, a surgery that would change the lives of these people.

The top cardiologist, neurologist, and hepatologist at Seoul National University Hospital were all grouped together to perform an emergency surgery that was extremely difficult and dangerous for the same patient.

“Suction!” the hepatologist shouted when the blood splashed out and stained his gown. “Forceps…” The nurse handed the tool to the doctor right away upon his command.

“The blood pressure is falling,” another nurse said urgently.

“I’m trying to stop the bleeding in her liver,” the doctor turned to the nurse and instructed firmly. “Get more blood.”

“Yes, Doctor Han.”

“You have to be fast,” the neurologist intervened. “Her brain is swelling. It might be bleeding somewhere that I couldn’t see through the MRI. Fifteen minutes is the max I can give you before I start the surgery.”

“And her heart rate is dropping.”

Everyone in the room turned to the cardiologist, who was standing close to the patient all this while. They knew he was not here for any surgery but was here because of who the patient was to him and, most importantly of all, his presence could likely keep the patient’s heart beating.

Please… please stay alive… please don’t give up… At this moment, he could only pray silently.

As everyone was concentrating on the surgery, the door of the operating room suddenly opened, and a nurse rushed in, running to the cardiologist.

“Lee Min…” The nurse bit her lower lip, stopping herself from shouting. She was in the hospital at the moment, and no matter how anxious she was, she had to be calm and professional. Taking a deep breath, she continued with a calmer tone. “Doctor Lee, the patient from level 6 couldn’t breathe and passed out. She was sent to the ER ten minutes ago. Doctor Kang is performing CPR on her now. Her condition is very bad.”

Lee Min Ho froze in place as he felt his heart stop for a brief second. He looked at Kim Seol Hyun before his head slowly turned to the patient on the surgery table, and his heart tightened instantly at the sight of her ghostly pale face. They were together and talking just a few hours ago. But why… why had everything suddenly become like this?

If he goes with Seol Hyun now, can she fight this battle alone? He knows she needs him to remain by her side. But... if he stays, what about the one in the ER, who also needs him now?

“Doctor Lee!” Seol Hyun raised her voice a little, bringing him back to his senses. “You have to decide now.” She paused, looking seriously into his eyes. “To stay… or to go…”

Yes, whether it was due to love, guilt, or whatever reason it was, he had to make a choice and decide to stay with whom. The one lying right in front of him now was the woman who loved him so much, understood him, and always supported him no matter what he did. He should stay here with her.

But the other one who was now waiting for him in the ER was the woman whom he promised to protect and love forever. She was the air he needed to breathe, the energy that kept his heart strong, and the reason for him to stay alive. She was... the love of his life.

Isn't the answer obvious? No matter what... he had to go. Looking at the almost lifeless woman in front of him, he leaned forward, paused for a second before placing his lips against her forehead, warming her ice-cold skin with a kiss.

“Be strong,” he whispered as he slowly pulled away.

He turned to the neurologist and stared at him with a pleading gaze. “Please take care of her.”

The neurologist nodded his head.

Taking one last look at her, he in a deep breath before running to the door and exiting the operating room, with Seol Hyun following closely behind him."

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

When Min Ho and Seol Hyun arrived at the ER, Doctor Kang Min Hyuk, Min Ho’s most trusted fellow, had just finished giving the patient CPR. As they entered the room, Min Hyuk turned to the door and let out a sigh of relief when he saw you.

“Doctor Lee, thank God you are here.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter