final

rain, rain, go away

The harsh rain makes for a peaceful sound effect as it patters on the walls of a small orphanage located in Busan. The thunder however, is not as peaceful and Jimin is having none of it.

 

Yoongi has always had difficulty in falling asleep, and he’s currently attempting to get at least two hours in by listening closely to the rain and thunder from outside. It’s very hard to focus on those things when some younger kid you’ve never spoken to is whimpering on the bed next to yours. Yoongi clenches his fists and tries to drown the cries out, but his attempt proves unavailing as a loud roll of thunder rolls, and the cries get just a bit louder. Yoongi takes in a deep breath, and looks at the cry-baby and finds nothing but a lump covered by blankets. He stares, and as another roll of thunder pours in, he sees the lump tremble, and hears a particularly loud whine. Yoongi takes another breath in, and gets up to approach the lump.

He is hesitant. “Hello?” he says, hand barely touching the blankets. He withdraws his hand immediately as he sees the blankets slightly raise, and a small, tear ridden face comes into his line of view.
He wants to laugh at the kid for being this scared of thunderstorms, but then thinks against it. I ought to be the good guy today, he thinks. Yoongi then sits on the bed, and he feels a laugh creeping up when he sees the dumbfounded expression on the child’s face.
“Are you afraid of storms, kid?” Yoongi asks, managing to be both soft and condescending in his way of speaking. Jimin moves his head to the side, seemingly about to shake his head no, but a soft roar of thunder rolls in, and that has him furiously nodding. Yoongi thinks for a second, then sighs. “You know, there’s no need to be so scared when you’ve got a superhero sleeping next to you.” Jimin furrows his eyebrows.

Yoongi then proceeds to lean in, and looks around as if he’s actually seeing if anyone else is awake to hear. “I can protect people from thunder, kid. Thunder and lightning does nothin’ to me!” He says. Jimin sits up, interested. “...What happens if you aren’t protected from those?” “Nothing I can’t protect you from.” Yoongi replies. He then places his hand on top of Jimin’s head. He closes his eyes, and mumbles nonsense as the naive Jimin watches, amazed. Yoongi then opens his eyes, smiling. “See. Now you’re just as immune to thunder as I am. Thunder can’t do anything to you now.” “Until when?” “Until forever.”

Both children then manage to fall asleep with smiles on their faces.