Post-Drooling

Drooling

It’s been awhile since the dweeb who fell asleep in your bookstore treated you to coffee, and although you would never say it out loud, especially not within range of his adorable ears, he was growing on you, remarkably fast.

 

Like fungi.

 

The walks home alone after closing up the shop had always been enjoyable for you, but even with his company and warm presence that just appeared one night to join you, you really didn’t mind.

 

At all.

 

For weeks it was a comfortable routine; he’d slip in a half hour before closing, when the sun had set and the store was empty but cozy with soft artificial light. Chanyeol would join you behind the counter and drag a wooden barstool to yours, asking about your day and wanting all the details about interesting customers. You’d walk together round the perimeter of the shop and through the tight aisles before locking the door, shutting off the lights, and heading home. The conversation continued with the two of you, from the safety of the book shop to the openness of the sidewalk.

 

One night you both stood in the hallway of your apartment, you absentmindedly jingling your keys while figuring out how to word your response.

 

“I guess I can understand where you’re coming from, but I really have to disagree.” You began, and the permanent smile on Chanyeol’s face morphed into a grin that was reserved just for you.

 

“Please, elaborate then.”

 

“Well, Lola’s Vacation of Love can’t be fairly compared to Paciencia Y Fe, They both have their own merits despite one being a young adult novel and the other a classic. Both novels accomplished it’s goal by the end of it.” You finished, tossing your keys in the air.

 

Chanyeol’s long arm shot out and caught the metal mess of keys and keychains, still grinning like every second with you was legendary.

 

“But Olivio created a masterpiece with Paciencia Y Fe. Sure it was way longer than necessary, but the stories Y/N! It all tied together and she brought to life a significant historical event that she witnessed! She refused to let it be forgotten and her work survived all this time, translated into multiple languages, how amazing is that?”

 

In that moment his eyes shone despite the horrible lighting, his passion seemed to unfurl through his mouth and past his lips.

 

You could practically visualize it.

 

“It is amazing, impressive actually.” You replied, pausing for a quick second, “But it deserves to be judged on its own scale of literary greatness, same for Lola’s Vacation of Love. It made you feel fuzzy inside right? So just like you felt pain at Claudia’s untimely end, you also felt happy when Lola and Isaac reunited on the beach. Each accomplished its respective goal as a book.”

 

“Okay, okay, I see.” Chanyeol smiled down at you, handing back the keys, warm fingers brushing your cold ones.

 

“Y’know,” You started, hesitantly, nervously, not exactly wanting him to leave so soon. “You can come in...if you want to.”

 

A beat passed and you felt your pulse through your fingertips.

“I want to.” Came his soft reply.