1. A Study in Pink (deduction)

Cops and Detectives

A/N: OMG GUYS. THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO READ THIS. I'LL TRY MY BEST TO CONTINUE THIS TO THE END. *hugs you all*


They had all arrived on the crime scene, there had already been a few number of police officers and forensics sent by the nearest police station. The body was found in an empty court near Gwanghwamun. Seokjin and Hoseok immediately coordinated with the forensics present at the scene, reporting every information they had managed to get.

The victim’s name has been identified as Choi Jinha, a news presenter in a well-renowned broadcasting station. So far, the police had requested a temporary black-out of news, until preliminary investigations have begun.

Namjoon sent Yoongi and Jimin out to look for more information about the victim (making Jimin look positively flustered and incoherent, Jungkook could faintly see his cheeks as red as his hair). This leaves him, Namjoon and Taehyung in the scene.

The victim was lying face down, her hair still in a perfect bun and she was wearing an outrageously pink coat, pink nail polish and pink stilettos. Seokjin hyung is shamed.

The eldest sighed deeply as they inspected the body, they all knew that this case is getting a bit of hand. Namjoon looked definitely tired, they’ve all been overworked by these series of suicide-slash-murder.

He looked towards Taehyung who was busily inspecting the body, he was crouched low to the victim’s left hand which was splayed on the ground. The sleuth carefully lifted the said hand and inspected it, then he put it back down.

He and Namjoon exchanged incredulous looks as they all but watch Taehyung carefully inspected the body. He checked the victim’s coat and collar, humming and mumbling things under his breath. The brown haired male always had the tendency to talk quietly to himself when he was concentrating, his lips rapidly forming words that are often cannot be heard by anyone except himself.

Seokjin hyung arrived and reported to Namjoon all the details the present forensics had gathered. It was indeed cyanide poisoning and the victim has been estimated to be dead for 3 hours. As usual, no sign of any marks along the body or even any drugs on its bloodstream. Perfectly clean. Just like the others.

Taehyung finally straightened up and looked directly at him, Namjoon then finally at Seokjin. “Hyung, did all the other victims wear any wedding ring?” he asked.

Seokjin frowned at the peculiar question, “Not everyone as I recall.” Taehyung nodded and smiled slightly, then he turned towards Namjoon and smiled a little bit wider.

“Do you want to hear what I think?” he said. Namjoon nodded told Taehyung to proceed.

“Mrs Choi just got back from a vacation or maybe an out-of-town trip, probable about two day maximum considering the size of her bag. Her coat smelled a bit of seawater, which may mean she probably went to Busan. She had been married for quite a long time now, but seeing that her ring finger is empty she may have already divorced or their marriage is on the rocks, probably because of infidelity by one or both parties. “Taehyung sighed as he looked at the victim’s body once more.

“Why is the state of her marriage vital to the case at hand?” Jungkook asked skeptically.

“Because it is one of the common denominators of each victim, they are all married which are quite unstable before they died.” The other male answered simply. The head officer looked like he was considering it, then said “Okay we’ll look on this possible commonality, but Taehyung how did you even know that there had been infidelity involved?”

“Well, she took off her ring which means that she has been hiding it, either because of a painful memory, which is probably her husband’s infidelity or because she wanted to hide that she is married. Either way you can still check her phone on her bag. That would be the only way to know.” The detective put his hands on his pockets and walked next to where Jungkook is.

“Taehyung-ssi, I don’t see any bag anywhere.” The youngest said as he carefully added some distance Taehyung diminished.

“What do you mean there is no bag? It’s probably somewhere near her.” The sleuth said as he looked around the empty basketball court, save for the yellow police tape around both entrances.

“How did you know she has a bag?” Seokjin asked the youngest Kim, who was still frantically looking around.

“There are marks on her legs! That can only be caused by dragging a small suitcase for travel. There should be one here.. unless..” they all watched as Taehyung suddenly stopped running around and snapped his fingers in excitement. “Of course! It can only be it!”

Seokjin, Namjoon and Jungkook all exchanged a look as Taehyung paced around the body mumbling incoherently.

“What’s happening?” Hoseok arrived and promptly saw the detective mumbling excitedly.

“Pink! It should be around here somewhere!” Taehyung said as he ran out the basketball court and away from them.

“. . Jungkook I know its too much but can you please not let Taehyung get away?” Seokjin said realizing that the detective had been caught up with his own discovery and ran off by himself.

The youngest male scowled in annoyance, to which Namjoon had foreseen.

“Jungkook  please follow him, god knows what might happen to that kid.”

 

 

 

Jeon Jungkook did not study for four years only to be chasing an overexcited detective who has ran off by himself. Especially if that is Kim Taehyung.

But here he is panting after going through every street and alley near the basketball court, finding said detective. He looked at his watch and realized that he had been running around for almost an hour. Just as he was about to give up and call his head officer for help, his cellphone vibrated, signaling a text message.

 

+010….

Can you come to the restaurant near Lotte Hotel right now? – Taehyung

 

The officer narrowed his eyes at the text message. How did Taehyung even got his phone number? Besides they are supposed to be working on the case they do not have time to go to restaurants for dinner.

He was about to text Namjoon that he’s coming back when he received another message.

 

+010…

Please do come. You might want to see this.

 

Jungkook blew his bangs out of habit and replied quickly.

 

+011..

Fine. Give me 20.

 

He arrived at the restaurant about 20 minutes later, opting to just walk towards it. He recognized this restaurant, having been dragged here by Jimin going on about its delicious pasta. He looked around and spotted Taehyung fiddling with his phone. If he did not know any better, the detective looked like he was anxiously waiting for his date. He was immediately brought back to the memory of their first date, ll awkward and shy. He mentally shook his head, dispelling his current thoughts.

The restaurant was not quite packed, maybe because it is already long past dinnertime. He cleared his throat, making said detective jump and look at him with wide eyes. He broke eye contact and took the seat in front Taehyung, looking anywhere but Taehyung’s eyes.

“Where did you go? Seokjin-hyung was really worried.” Jungkook said, he wanted to make sure his tone stay cold. His eyes boring over the older man’s forehead.

“I needed to find something.” The detective said quietly fiddling his fingers, like he knew he was going to get scolded.

“Is that a habit of yours? Suddenly disappearing out of thin air?” the officer said, not intending to sound as harsh as he did. A sudden emotion flashed through the older man’s eyes, not unnoticed by Jungkook, but he did not have enough time to put a name to it since Taehyung broke their stare and stared at the uninteresting tablecloth. Jungkook let out a heavy breath and shook his head, the man in front him looked like a kicked puppy. (And as usual he is always a er for it)

Anyway, he was going to get enough scolding from Namjoon-hyung and Seokjin-hyung.

“And what is it that you needed to find?” Jungkook said unamusedly, choosing to opt out that topic.

“Her bag.” Taehyung whispered, chewing the insides of his cheeks.

“Whose..?” Jungkook wanted to ask but when the detective pointed something at his feet, Jungkook followed the direction he was pointing to and there was a suitcase, not too big but not too small mainly used for short trips.

A pink suitcase.

He immediately looked at Taehyung who was gauging his reaction, his eyes narrowed like he was expecting Jungkook to explode or something.

“The victim’s suitcase?” he said a little too loudly, Taehyung signaled him to lower down his voice and quickly nodded, looking around if they gathered attention from the other customers.

“It was highly improbable that she was mugged since she still had her jewelries, well except for the ring which was of course intentionally removed, and she would not have dropped it at her home since it was obvious that she was still out until she died. So it’s either she left it somewhere or..”  Taehyung was rambling, his mouth spewing his thoughts as quick as he came up with it.

“..the murderer disposed it because he had it.” Jungkook cut him off, the detective nodded eagerly, his eyes now sparkling again.

“The murderer needed the police to think that there was no bag whatsoever, mainly to make it like she was mugged, which was weird because the murderer should have thought to get her jewelries as well, then disposed it. It was naturally somewhere near the crime scene, I had to look at all trash cans within the radius of the crime scene and I found this treasure.” Taehyung pointed at the suitcase and showed Jungkook a pink bagtag containing the victim’s name and contact information.

“So what the hell are we doing here? We should report this to Namjoon-hyung.” The younger male like it was the most obvious thing, which it was of course.

“I need to confirm something first.” He said nonchalantly, now reaching for his own phone. Jungkook watched him as he was checking for any notification.

The detective showed the officer his screen, and was shown a conversation.

 

+013..

Hey love, it’s me. She’s not home now. Do you want to go to my house now? I miss you so much.

 

The younger male frowned, what was Taehyung doing now?

Then the same number was now calling him, the detective just stared at it and smiled widely. He pumped his fists into the air. Now the customers are now looking at them weirdly. Seriously, what is this guy doing now?

“We got him.” Taehyung said happily as they both watched the caller hang up. Jungkook’s frown deepened, eyes boring into the other’s excited ones.

“Got who?” he said uncomprehending. He knew he looked quite stupid but seriously no one can ever keep up with the detective’s thought process.

“That was the victim’s cellphone number.” Jungkook looked at the man in front of him incredulously, he felt that his eyes were about to fall from its sockets.

“I checked her bag and it was not there and obviously it is not in the victim’s body, who else would have it? Not to mention the person who had it called me and look..” he showed the younger a notification indicating that the number just texted him. “.. it texted back.”

“That must have been her husband. What if she left it at their house?” Jungkook tried to argue, mainly because they need to rationalize this situation, they cannot just make insinuations.

“Impossible, people might as well lose all their clothes before forgetting their own handphones. And judging by her lifestyle she would not just carelessly leave it in their house.” Taehyung said now smiling at Jungkook’s strucked expression.

The detective hummed quietly, obviously this development lightened up his mood and he was back to his overconfident self. He checked the text and smiled even wider.

“Good. We can catch the culprit now. That person wants to meet now, it said I pick where we could meet first.” He let out a small gleeful laugh, as if he was just a child given his favorite toy.

He quickly replied and sent the message.

“What did you say?” Jungkook said immediately snatching the phone and saw that Taehyung sent an address just across the restaurant.

“I’m going to tell this to Namjoon-hyung.” He said as he reached for his own phone.

“Sure. I’m going to order first. I’m starving.” Taehyung said nonchalantly, he called for the waiter. (Jungkook tried not to glare at the said waiter who was giving the older man suggestive glances (because lets face it Taehyung is very handsome)).

“Are you going to order Kook?” Taehyung turned towards him and the younger nodded once. “I’ll have the same.” He said curtly, accompanying it with an electrifying glare towards the waiter.

The poor waiter shivered and mumbled something and quickly went back to the counter.

“Why did he look like he’ll pee himself?” Taehyung said obliviously, Jungkook shrugged his gaze focusing on the folded napkin in front of him.

“No idea.”


A/N: *runs away*