Greatest Dream

Greatest Dream

Sanghyuk loves the way you smile. He always does. But that night, he can saw that different sparkle in your eyes. He saw how you smiled so widely and he can’t deny the tone of happiness in your voice.

He can’t help but to fall more deeply in love with you.

He was just looking at you as you talked about how you were able to ace your presentation to your boss who had been pressuring you for the past month.

There was a silence after you finished your success story. Sanghyuk is just looking at you.

“What?” is the only thing you managed to say as his look is still glued on yours. And no, you don’t feel anything bad about it. Actually, you feel happy because at some point, you can see and feel his love to you whenever he looks directly into your eyes. It’s like an assurance that he does love you –you and no one else.

“I want to ask you something.”

“What is it?”

Then Sanghyuk pulled something on his pocket. It’s a simple but elegant diamond ring. And he looked at you once more, with all the sincerity and love in his eyes. Then he asked you a sweet but pressuring question.

“Will you marry me?”

You looked at him directly into his eyes but Sanghyuk can’t decipher the meaning of it. And without uttering a single word, you left him.

 

***

 

It’s frustrating. Really frustrating.

Sanghyuk hasn’t received any text or call from you since two weeks ago. Well, he thinks he deserve it after making a huge mistake at your recent date.

Asking you to marry him two weeks ago was the biggest mistake that Sanghyuk has ever done. He wasn’t really sure if both of you are ready and yet he still popped the question and now, you have been avoiding him after leaving him at the venue of your last date together.

No, Sanghyuk wasn’t mad at you for rejecting the marriage proposal. He completely understood that his proposal was so sudden and you have all the right to recover from the shock that it caused you.

But it seems that it would be the very first time that he wouldn’t celebrate his birthday with you since the two of you had been together.

You and Sanghyuk have been going strong for six years already and both of you admit that you can’t imagine life without each other. Everyone is so sure that it’s the two of you who would spend each other’s life together for eternity and all of them are just waiting for the both of you to decide when to get married. But this kind of pressure is not the reason why he asked you the big question two weeks ago. He had that feeling. That feeling of wanting to hold your hand forever. That feeling of wanting to look at your eyes as he wake up every single moment of the rest of his life. That feeling of wanting to let you know how much he loves you and he’s willing to spend his lifetime with you. Sanghyuk doesn’t know why he just suddenly pulled out the ring that he always bring and keeping in his pocket for five months. And he won’t ever forget the shock that was plastered on your face that time and just walked away without hearing anything from you. He is still searching for reasons why you just left him and rejected the proposal.

You’re a woman with big dreams. Sanghyuk completely accepted that you are that kind of girl. In fact, that’s one thing he loved about you. You are focused and well-driven. You won’t let anything get in your way from achieving your ambitions in life.

And getting married would stop you from attaining everything that you always wanted.

Sanghyuk just ruffled his hair out of frustration. He can’t think of anything else. Not even tons of greetings from people would make him feel better. You are enough to make him feel happy.

Midnight is getting near and yet he still hasn’t received anything from you. Suddenly he heard something from his window, as if it was hit by something hard.  He opened it and saw you from outside.

He immediately ran downstairs and got outside to meet you. Sanghyuk hugged you tightly as if he doesn’t have any plans of letting go. You hugged him back and he kept on whispering ‘sorry’ by your ear.

“Why are you saying sorry? I should be the one to tell you that.” You are still hugging, feeling each other’s heartbeat as your bodies stay close. Sanghyuk height wasn’t a problem for you. You actually like the fact that he much taller than you because you’re able to hear and feel his heartbeat whenever you hug him.

“No. It’s me. I’m really sorry. I know how much you hate being pressured and I just put you on that situation because of the proposal.” Sanghyuk kissed you on the forehead and hugged you again, even tighter. You are mentally screaming because Sanghyuk is being all sweet and cheesy and you love to see that side of him once in a while.

Sanghyuk let go of the hug and look at you only to see you with a huge grin plastered on your face.

“What?” Sanghyuk asked for he can’t decipher the meaning of your smile.

“Nothing. I just l love it when you always prove to me how I can make you go crazy.” Then you placed your arms on his shoulders and leaned so close that the two of you are almost kissing. “And it would be such a pleasure for me to do that every single day of our lives.”

 “Babe, don’t say that.” Sanghyuk is feeling that you are just telling those things for him not to feel bad about being rejected. “You don’t have to accept the proposal if you don’t want to. I understand why you did that. We both have a lot of things to prioritize. You still have goals to reach and plans to accomplish. You still have to make your dreams come true and—“

“But you are my dream.”

Sanghyuk was obviously taken aback judging from his facial expression.  He remained quiet and waited for you to say something more.

“You are my greatest dream and being with you for six years is a dream come true. You, proposing to me, asking me to spend the rest of my life with you is something that I can’t afford to turn down because it’ll be like suicide.”

Sanghyuk’s lips slowly formed a smile as well as yours as once again he asked you the same question that made scared him for the past two weeks.

“Then, will you marry me?”

“Yes. I will marry you, Han Sanghyuk.”

“I love you. “

“I love you.”

“”Till eternity?”

“’Till eternity.”

He removed the small distance between the two of you when he slowly leaned closer and met his lips with yours and gave you a slow, passionate and loving kiss. The kiss that you know only Sanghyuk can give you. It’s the kiss that you want to have every day for the rest of your life.

“But why did you reject my proposal that day? And why didn’t you contact me for two weeks?” Sanghyuk asked you as soon as you two broke the kiss.

“Nothing, really. I just want my answer to be my birthday gift to you. And I didn’t call you to add a little bit of tension. Sorry if it really bothered you so much. You know that’s just how I am, right? And I didn’t reject you. I just kind of delayed my answer.”

Sanghyuk smiled and held your hand. The two of you entered the house and the two of you celebrated his birthday.

“So, your dream is me, huh? I thought being a doctor is your greatest dream?” Sanghyuk is feeling so proud with your confession to him.

“Years already passed and you haven’t checked out our high school yearbook yet?”

Sanghyuk became confused as you urged him to get your high school yearbook. You made him flip it to the page where your name is there and made him read your dream.

“Life’s Greatest Dream: Han Sanghyuk"