chapter quatro

The Way the Wind Blows

Moonstar woke up in a cold sweat, the image of Lifen's body all too fresh in her mind. Minhyuk was at the foot of her bed. "Are you alright?" he asked tenderly. Moonstar started to shake. Her brother quickly enveloped her in a warm hug as she cried into his shoulder. Lifen had bruises and scars across her face from years of abuse, and cold, hard eyes not befitting a mother, but she was still beautiful, with clear skin and a delicate nose and chin. Moonstar wondered what she had been like before her abusive husband and boyfriend, before Daiyu. Had she been on the streets as a kid? Had she ever been on the receiving end of compassion or empathy or love? Moonstar couldn't be sure. The streets could do a lot to a person.

 

"What happened to Mrs. Seon?" Moonstar asked, trying to find a diversion for her thoughts. 

 

"She passed out, but the doctor said she's fine. She woke up an hour ago."

 

"What about Sanghyuk?"

 

"He's pacing the halls and cursing, but fine."

 

"And you?"

 

"A little shaken up, but fine."

 

Moonstar paused and took a deep breath. In barely a whisper, she said "Daiyu?"

 

Wheein, coming out of the shadows of a corner, said "I took her to Jihyun's house. She seems fine, but I have a feeling she has an idea what's going on. I think she's a lot smarter than we take her for." 

 

Moonstar glanced at the clock and realized it was past midnight. "It's late. You guys should go." Wheein took that as her cue and left. Minhyuk protested, but left when Jinri came in to give Moonstar a glass of water and urged him out also. Moonstar felt a little bad, but she needed to be alone. Jinri took her hand and said "I'm sleeping in Wheein's room across the hall, and you know Minhyuk is right next door. If you need anything, don't be afraid to holler. I don't think any of us are going to be getting much sleep tonight." Moonstar nodded her thanks. She had never really talked to Jinri (she was mostly Minhyuk's friend) but she seemed caring and her slight country accent was friendly and welcoming. 

 

Jinri turned off the lights and left. Moonstar sat on the edge of the bed and gripped the sheets. She didn't try to fight tears, but none came. She felt weightless, but not in a light, joyful way. Nothing felt real anymore. 

 

Eventually, Moonstar's heavy eyelids gave in and morning came quickly, shining through the dusty windows of her room. She didn't move and inch for what seemed like decades. Images of Lifen flashed through her head; she had barely known the woman, but her scarred demeanor was something almost everyone at the haven had or once had. First she was sitting on a ragged plaid blanket on a corner, Daiyu's head in her lap and her tired hand shaking the can of coins whenever someone passed by. Moonstar remember thinking how much of a beauty the young mother was, under the dirt and grime and hardship. Second, Moonstar was bringing her dinner in her room. On the street, she had been tough and hardened. Now, in her room, she had broken down and crumbled. And thirdㅡ

 

Moonstar sat up very suddenly and slapped herself. She couldn't, she would not let that image into her mind. She had to be active. She had to get productive. She would not let herself sit in a bedroom, rot, and let her scars reopen unattended, like Lifen. What could she do?

 

She briskly walked out into the hall. It was late morning, and Jinri had cooked something small and bland for breakfast. A few people were in the dining hall. Wheein quickly scurried up to her and tenderly squeezed her arm. "You alright? You want something to eat?

 

"No," she quickly replied. "I mean, I'm fine, but I'm not hungry. Is Daiyu still at Jihyun's?"

 

"Yeah, she stayed the night."

 

Moonstar perked up. This was something to do! "I'm going to go get her."

 

Wheein nodded. "I'd go, but I have to study."

 

Moonstar remembered Wheein was set on going to a university, despite the lack of official education. She had dropped out in fourth grade but had gotten to sixth grade level in just six months. She said "It's okay, don't worry. I'll just go alone."

 

"Oh no you won't," a voice behind them said. They turned to see Sanghyuk. "You can't go out alone. You're unsteady and need to rest. Stay here."

 

"No way," Moonstar retorted. "I have to get Daiyu."

 

"Fine, but I'm coming with. Minhyuk would blow his top if he found out you went out after something like this."

 

Moonstar rolled her eyes, but she let him follow her out anyway because he had a point. The siblings always told each other where we were going. 

 

Not bothered by the slight morning chill, they walked the few blocks to the music store. Jihyun, although twenty years old, lived above it with her father, who owned the place. It was always open earlier than anything and business was in full swing when Moonstar and Sanghyuk walked in, the little bell tinkling. Jihyun looked up from the trombone she was polishing, and quickly ran over to give Moonstar a hug. 

 

"Where's Daiyu?" Moonstar asked, her voice muffled in Jihyun's shoulder.

 

"She's upstairs, playing with Papa. She seems alright. But how are you? And Minhyuk and Wheein?"

 

"We're a little shaken up, but fine. Oh yeah, this is Sanghyuk. He's at the haven." She turned around to find that Sanghyuk had suddenly combed through his hair with his fingers and tried to straighten and dust off his ratty jacket. He was even balancing on his toes a little! Moonstar gave him a look, which he returned with a glare and then continued smiling brightly at Jihyun. She barely glanced at him before padding up the stairs to get Daiyu. Once she was gone, Moonstar snickered. "Jeon Jihyun? Really?"

 

He didn't reply, his glazed-over eyes staring at the stairs. She rolled her eyes and Jihyun came down again, carrying Daiyu. Moonstar quickly rushed over to carry her. She had gotten a bath and Jihyun had washed her big overcoat, and her eyes were black as ever. She beamed at Moonstar when she picked her up. She was too old to be carried around all the time, but the girl deserved attention, something she had probably rarely gotten before. 

 

After a bit of small talk, the three left. Daiyu waddled along in between Sanghyuk and Moonstar, each holding on to one of her hands. Moonstar noticed people were giving them looks- some were smiling adoringly, but most were looks of almost disgust. Moonstar went red when realized she and Sanghyuk probably looked like a couple walking with their child. She knew she looked older than fifteen but certainly not a socially acceptable or even legal age to get married or have kids. She quickly let go of Daiyu's hand and shoved it in her pocket. Sanghyuk didn't seem to notice.

 

They walked on, and the sun revealed it was probably almost lunchtime. Stenches from alleyways got stronger as it got hotter. Daiyu stopped at the entrance to a particularly seedy-looking one and stared inside. 

 

Sanghyuk tugged at her hand. "Come on, Han Daiyu. Let's go eat, eh?"

 

She didn't move. Moonstar got a sense of deja vu- this was just like when they had passed that street singer what seemed like lifetimes ago. Daiyu turned and tugged on the hem of Moonstar's shirt, pointing to something in the pile of rubbish. Moonstar advanced a few feet, squinting to see in the dark. She knocked around a few newspapers and beer cans, and unearthed what Daiyu had been pointing at. 

 

"No way!" she exclaimed. She pulled the object fully out of the pile and shook off the dirt, turning it around and feeling it. "Sanghyuk, you've gotta see this!"

 

The object was none other than a guitar. It was covered in dirt and stained and dented, and the strings were broken. Sanghyuk took it from her and held it out in the sunlight. "Somebody actually threw an instrument out onto the street?"

 

"It's pretty beat up," Moonstar added.

 

"You think it can be fixed?"

 

"I don't know. Jihyun's pretty good, we should take it to her to check out." She took it back and ran her fingers over it, plucking the out-of-tune strings (two of which were missing). Daiyu stood enamored, staring up the guitar for so long with her jaw hanging down that Sanghyuk laughed and pulled her chin up. "Close your mouth, you'll attract flies." he said. He turned back to Moonstar. "You guys should get something to eat. I'll get this to Jihyun and then probably go play cards at the hobby shop." 

 

Moonstar nodded and hoisted up a tired Daiyu. "Thanks for doing all this," she said just as Sanghyuk was turning away.

 

He paused. "Doing all what?"

 

"I don't know- looking after Daiyu, going on these errands, befriending Minhyuk. Especially that. He's changed a lot since he met you. He needs you."

 

Sanghyuk shook his head. "I may be special to him, but I don't think you quite realize how much he cares for you. When you guys came to the haven the atmosphere totally changed. People that live on the streets are cold, hardened, wary, friendless, don't trust anyone, and suddenly here come these close, loving twins that stick together through thick and thin." Without waiting for a response, he turned the corner and left Moonstar staring at the ground, his words resonating in her head. Upon a weird impulse, she crossed herself and thanked the big man upstairs- or whoever was out there- for her brother.