Forgive Me

Dried Leaves

 

 

 

Junmyeon has waited seven years. Seven years he waited for the boy, under the beautiful oak tree. The air is cold, his cheeks are colder but he doesn't complain because he waits for the boy he loves; the boy that will never come.

 

 

That's funny, it's fall. He doesn't remember waiting for so long.

 

 

Junmyeon doesn't see people the same way as he did before. No, he sees skeletons and skulls - the black holes for eyes not disturbing him as much as it used to. He tries to exhale and he realises how his breath isn't as warm as it used to be. 

 

Maybe because he isn't breathing at all. 

 

"Here he is," The small feminine voice is soft and somewhat sad but Junmyeon doesn't flinch. 

 

"C'mon, come see him," Junmyeon knows this voice but he can't exactly place his finger on it. 

 

"I'll try," a new voice says and Junmyeon definitely knows this voice and he wants to move but he finds himself unmoving, almost like a statue. 

 

Footsteps get closer to him, slowly, and he can hear the two strangers that are next to him choke out sobs. 

 

"Myeonie, It's me Jongdae and your beautiful 9 year old daughter. We've come to visit you," Junmyeon is reminded again how beautiful the sound of his husband's voice is and how small it sounds when he's sad. 

 

He stays unmoving and this time he hears his daughter sniffling; he wants to take her in his arms and cradle her to sleep just like he did all those years ago. 

 

"I know I didn't come for a long time and you must be lonely," Jongdae pauses when a sob comes out unexpectedly. Junmyeon feels his wilted heart start to crack. 

 

"I found a job, I found a house for us to live, I found food to eat and water drink," Jongdae stops and Junmyeon stays stoic, "I found my grasp on life after 7 years, Myeonie." 

 

Jongdae is in sobs now and Junmyeon feels something touching him but not quite; it's a weird ghost of a touch perhaps. 

 

"Do you want to know why you are here, Junmyeon?" Jongdae sniffles.

 

"It's because this was your favourite place, I remember it being your favourite place. And this is your favourite season, you loved touching the dried leaves with your hands, didn't you?" 

 

Junmyeon's tears want to fall but they don't.

 

"I used to follow you here, remember? Remember when our daughter was born and we used to bring her here for fresh air?" 

 

"You must've waited for me for so long," Jongdae is crying now, same with their daughter who is sniffling like mad. 

 

He hears Jongdae move a bit before he starts to speak again, "I'm sorry I couldn't stop the cancer, I love you my little angel." 

 

"Please wait for me in heaven, I hope the angels are taking care of you." 

 

Junmyeon tries to move to stop the retreating footsteps, but he can't. The coffin around him is too tight.