Trunk-or-treat

Trunk-or-treat

"The cloud looks like an elephant!"
"I can't see the elephant?"
"That, is the trunk."
"...it doesn't look like a trunk?"
"It is!"
"Not even a bit, Byun Baekhyun."

 

Baekhyun is a little too in love with elephants. The big animal has stolen little Baekhyun's heart, although he has never seen the real one. He only saw it on the story book. Strangely, it's enough to get him mesmerized.

He always dreams of being as big as the elephant. Hence on the Halloween, he decides to be one.

"Why are you wearing elephant costume on Halloween day?" a familiar voice comes to Baekhyun's hearing.
"Why can't I?" Baekhyun scoffs.
The other kid has his hands on his waist. "Well, it's Halloween day, not animal day."
"But you don't seem to wear any costume, Kyungsoo. You are in your usual black shirt and pants."
"I'm... Uh... I'm a kid ghost. Don't you see the horrendous blood make-up smeared all over my face?" the Kyungsoo kid tries to divert Baekhyun's attention, "look, Minseok is a pumpkin!" Kyungsoo runs to Minseok, or rather, escapes from Baekhyun.
"What's with him?" Baekhyun mutters, before seeing the Halloween treats on the table that immediately catch his interest.

Finally it's Baekhyun's favorite time: going around the neighborhood for sweets.
"Kyungsoo! Let's go to Mama Park's first! She always gives bunch of chocolates!" eager Baekhyun grabs Kyungsoo's hand, but the latter shrugs it off. "...why?"
"Uh... I'm going with Minseok," Kyungsoo gives him an awkward smile.
"Let's go together then!" the pumpkin yells behind Kyungsoo.
"Wha... But..."
"Come on! We need to hurry, I made a bet with Jongdae that I could get more candies than him," Minseok grins.
In the end, the three of them are heading to Grandma Kim's house and getting some cookies.
"I just took them out from the oven a few minutes ago. Quickly eat them when they are warm!" Baekhyun receives the cookies, "thank you, Grandma!"
Baekhyun hands them to Kyungsoo and Minseok. Minseok's eyes light up at the sight of warm cookies. Beside him, Kyungsoo is being a little too fidgety. Baekhyun can't help but notice Kyungsoo's uneasiness.

"Yeah! I win the bet! Give me 10 of your candies," Minseok and Jongdae are immersed in their little business. "But that's almost a half of my candies..." Jongdae pouts. Jongdae's pout works like magic on Minseok, he finally gives in. "Okay, just give me 5."
On the other side, Kyungsoo is too busy eating his M&M's to realize that Baekhyun is now beside him.

"Are you really possessed by the kid ghost?"
"Wh... What?"
"You're weird. Why do you keep avoiding me? You didn't even want to go with me for the trick-or-treating. You've been hiding behind Minseok all along. I don't know, were you trying to stay away from me?"
"It's not that I want to avoid you, it's just..." the youngest of the two seems about to cry, "I'm... I'm afraid of elephant."
Baekhyun almost chokes on his milkshake.
"I once went to a zoo and attempted to feed an elephant. Instead of taking its food, its long nose went to my face. It's kind of slapping me and I was so scared. I cried all the way home. Since then, I never want to see elephants ever again."
Baekhyun tries not to laugh, "and I showed up in an elephant costume?"
"And you showed up in an elephant costume," he nods.
"But it's not like I'm going to slap you with my trunk! I'm not a real elephant, Soo."
"I don't know I'm just scared!" Kyungsoo lets out a sigh, followed by a sheepish smile. Baekhyun giggles, which eventually turns into a laughter. "You're hilarious! I didn't know you're this funny?? Next time, just tell me, okay? I don't mind not wearing any costume as long as I go with my bestfriend for trick-or-treating."
"Really?"
"No. Elephant Baekhyun will forever haunt ghost Kyungsoo in his dreams."
Kyungsoo lightly punches his bestfriend's arm. "You know what? I gotta admit that... you don't look scary in it. I might start liking elephants if they were all like you."
Baekhyun grins, "let's go to the city zoo next summer!"

 

"The elephant was so big, wasn't it??" excitement is all over Baekhyun. He just made his first encounter with the real elephants.
"Yeah, big enough to steps on you," Kyungsoo still shivers at the thought of the giant.
"It's not scary at all... Hey! It's an elephant cloud!" squinting, Baekhyun points at the sky.
Kyungsoo smiles at Baekhyun's antics, "hmm. I can even see the tusks."