늑대와 천사의 아들/狼与天使之子

The Wolf and the Son of the Angel

As a Shadowhunter, one must always be alert and ready to face death. Shadowhunters usually die early. It can be said as their occupational hazard.

Sehun can still remember vividly the very first time he almost died.

Sehun was only twelve when it happened.

It was also the very first time he met Luhan.

***

Zhang Yixing of the Gangwon Institute arrived just a week ago with his three adoptive sons, Baekhyun, Jongdae and Chanyeol, in tow. It is common for head of Institutes, with or without their families, to stay over for a few weeks to enhance better bonds among Shadowhunters, especially for the children. Unlike mundanes, Shadowhunters educate their children in Institutes and the chances of them making friends among their peers are very low. It is usually during such visits when the children get to meet other Shadowhunter children other than their own siblings or close family friends.

Junmyeon had been running around like a headless chicken for the past month getting the Institute ready for their visit. Junmyeon is a worrier. Yixing is well known for his easy going personality and everyone told Junmyeon to relax and to not fret over which bell they should hang over the Institute’s door. Just like how everyone predicted, Yixing and his three adoptive sons fitted in easily. Eldest son Baekhyun seemed to be the smallest but what he lacked in physical size, he more than made it up with his personality. He always had a mischievous smile on his face while his head whirred about to cook up a new prank to play. He quickly picked up the habit to mimic what Tao, Sehun’s older brother, said, much to Tao’s amusement. Second son Jongdae seems to have a wisp smile permanently on his face. His high cheekbones and his bangs made him look like a really alert and obedient kid but Sehun knew better. Right after Yixing and his family were ushered to their allocated rooms to freshen up, Sehun turned back and saw drain sludge smeared on the floor mats, which he was sure wasn’t there until Jongdae step through. Youngest son Chanyeol was affectionately known as the Happy Virus by his brothers and adoptive father, but Sehun could sense that he is actually a Happy Epidemic. On the day the family from Gangwon arrived, Sehun peeked around his brothers to catch a glimpse of their guests and the first thing Sehun saw through the tinted windows of the car was two rows of shiny teeth. Quite frankly, that scared the hell out of Sehun and Sehun kept a distance between himself and Chanyeol, after the owner of those teeth was introduced.

The brothers from the Gangwon Institute were well known for their teamwork that became apparent since young. Teamwork is very important especially when you’re fighting together against a group of demons. Following that, it was decided that the Gangwon kids would show the Seoul kids how to work better with each other. In exchange, the Seoul kids would teach the Gangwon kids more about their combat skills. Tao trained in wushu since young, even before he was adopted by Junmyeon. Jongin’s notable ability was that he could move very fast, even without a Swift rune, as if he could teleport. Sehun, on the other hand, had shown his talent for archery ever since he first held a bow at a tender age of five. In addition, all of them were ahead of their peers in knife combat, as a result of personal trainings given by Junmyeon, one of the best knife fighters among the Shadowhunters.

After a little over a week of intensive trainings, it was decided unanimously that they should go demon hunting with their newfound skills. Of course, someone decided that Sehun was too young and left him behind.

Sehun sulked. Jongin was barely even three months older than him. The three Gangwon kids were all a year older than him, which makes them two years older than Sehun and for someone who is twelve, fourteen year olds are really someone older than them and they had to obey.

Now that he was wandering the empty hallways of the Institute, Sehun was beginning to regret not clinging on to them. He glared at a crossbow hanging on the wall of the training room. He growled at it and grabbed it off the hook, loaded it and shot the bull’s eye of a target at the other end of the room. The arrow quivered. Sehun sighed and crossed the room to pull out that arrow.

I’m every bit as good as them. Why can’t I go along? I bet I can kill a demon by myself. Not that I haven’t killed one. Tao and Jongin know that I can too.

Wait a second….

Sehun’s hand stilled. Why not? He had killed demons before. He knew that he could do it. Why not go out hunting on his own?

Mind set on the idea, Sehun quickly ran into his room and changed into gear. He clicked his weapons belt tightly around his waist and shove in the seraph blades he had lying around in his room. He tucked his Sensor into his jacket. He eyed his bow lying on his couch beside his quiver and decided not to bring it with him. He grabbed a few knives and tucked them in his belt, boots and sleeves. That done, he quickly checked his phone to make sure that it is fully charged and pushed it into his pocket.

I’ll show them that I’m much better than what they think of me.

***

Sehun muttered darkly to himself. He went to various spots where demons always lurked around and was unable to get any demon to jump out at him. Only a rat did, and poor Sehun almost let out a girlish shriek. He managed to bit his lower lips tight before he did, almost drawing blood.

He was puzzled. More than puzzled. He had been going hunting with his brothers ever since they had shown that they were capable of handling weapons. Demons were always hidden here and there and could be found easily. If Sehun didn’t know better, he would have thought that it was Chuseok and all demons returned to their home dimensions to celebrate the festive season with their families.

Sehun huffed and eyed the wire fence separating the back alley from the main street. He ran a few steps and vaulted over the fence, a jump that any Olympics high jumpers would kill to make. Last chance, Sehun thought, If there isn’t any demons here, I’ll resign myself to the fact that I’m too young.

Sehun squinted at the shadows as he stepped forward slowly, ears alert to any sound. He heard something shuffling from above him and looked up in a snap. Nothing. He frowned and continued his slow track.

All too soon, he felt his boot landing on something thick and slimy. He glanced down and his Night Sight rune kicked in, showing him a puddle of something green. Sehun swallowed. Obviously Ravener demons’ drool.

Sehun relaxed a little. Ravener demons are no big deal, unless there is a horde of them. That’s not likely to be the case, as the alley was rather narrow and any more of them would have spilled to the main street. He silently withdrew a seraph blade from his belt and whispered “Jiminel”. The blade shot out and glowed. Sehun gripped the blade tightly and stepped forward.

It didn’t take long before he heard something shrieked and clicked its way forward, attracted by the glow casted by Sehun’s seraph blade. Sehun smirked and launched himself forward, his training kicking in instinctively. His first wide swing severed one of the Ravener demon’s claws. He did a flawless backflip to dodge its barbed tail. He landed right behind the demon and sliced off its two hind legs and rolled away to safety before it could land on him. The Ravener demons shrieked and Sehun could hear it echoing back to him.

Wait. That couldn’t be right. Sehun felt the hair on his nape stood up. Making sure that the Ravener demon was still flailing around on the ground, he flipped his bangs away and looked up. Fear crept up his spine as he sighted two more Ravener demons plodding over. One Ravener demon is not too big a challenge for the twelve year old Sehun. Two is one too much but still could be done if he had lots of luck on his side. But three? Sehun gulped and took out another seraph blade in his left hand. He softly named it “Yunaria”.

He had to kill the first before the other two arrives. He did a short run up and slid under the demon and held both his seraph blades pointing into its body. The seraph blades sliced the demon along its body neatly. With a last resounding shriek, the demon folded its body into itself and disappeared.

Sehun sprang to his feet and turned around to face the two newly arrived demons but he was a tad bit too late. He felt something sharp poking into his right shoulder and tore down. He dropped Jiminel, gasping in pain. Tears sprang into his eyes and he blinked them away hastily. He stabbed that demon in its cluster of eyes. His stab failed to be effective as he had to avoid the demon’s poisonous teeth. Luck seemed to be on Sehun’s side as the demon reared up in shock and took several steps back.

Sehun thought too soon, because the second demon opened its mouth wide to take a chomp of Sehun’s leg. Sehun’s eyes opened wide and attempted to lift his leg out of the way, but his brain told him that he could never make it. Time seems to slow down as the Ravener demon’s mouth closes around his leg. Sehun’s heart beat faster in fear and the next thing he knew, the demon is gone.

Sehun blinked and saw the something big and furry tackled the Ravener demon to the ground. Since the nearest threat is gone, and Sehun didn’t want to think if that furry thing is a friend or foe, Sehun turned his attention to the second Ravener demon and found out that it had already been disposed of. He turned back to the last demon and saw that the furry thing had torn its head from its body and it soon disappeared to its home dimensions as well.

Sehun swallowed nervously and he observed at how that furry thing coughed and spat out any remaining bits of the demons. He could clearly see that the furry thing is a werewolf. Rather young looking one, with pale apricot fur. The werewolf turned its attention to Sehun and Sehun couldn’t decide if he should fight or flee. The werewolf lolled out his tongue and… is he smirking at me?

The werewolf padded over playfully towards Sehun and turned into his human form in the progress. The werewolf, who looked to be just a few years older than the young Shadowhunter, has fluffy apricot hair and a bright smile adorning his flawless face. His built clearly showed that he is a he, though his face could be passed off as a girl’s. Sehun froze when the werewolf stepped up to him and peered in close to his face.

“Bit too young to handle three of them, huh, Sehunnie?”

Sehun jolted. “How did you know my name? And who are you?”

The werewolf laughed and Sehun decided that it is one of the most beautiful laughs ever. “I’ve always know you, Sehunnie.”

Just at this time, Sehun’s phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw that it was Tao calling him.

The werewolf brushed past Sehun, still giggling. “Goodbye, Sehun. Nice meeting ya. Don’t make your brothers worry about you and pick up your phone, yeah?”

Sehun whipped around. “What? Wait! What’s your name?”

“Hahahaha. Just so that you can thank me properly the next time we meet, you can call me Lord Luhan.”

***

Sehun looked older than he actually is, so it was easy for him to sneak into clubs, especially when he just put on his face.

He sat at the bar, contemplating on which drink should he order. He felt a hand sliding across his shoulders but made no effort to acknowledge the heavily made up mundane leaning against him.

“Hello, handsome. Buy me a drink?”

Sehun shifted his gaze lazily to the mundane girl. He tilted his head before replying softly, “That would be a waste of money and good booze.”

It took the mundane girl some moments for the message to sink in. Her eyes flashed in anger and she strutted off angrily.

Sehun snorted softly and told the bartender to give him the wildest drink he could concoct. The bartender lifted an eyebrow and silently started mixing.

It wasn’t long before Sehun heard some mild commotion at the entrance. He looked over to see that someone with bubble gum pink hair had managed to get in, only to be stopped again by a staff, demanding to see his ID. Sehun couldn’t see his face as he had his back facing him but his voice was loud.

“Your friends at the entrance checked my ID already! Not my fault that I look good right? There, look! I’m nineteen!”

Sehun’s eyes scanned Bubble Gum Hair Boy. Smaller than him, but the way he moved was graceful and something else, like a panther on the prowl. Lethal, even. Sehun was intrigued.

The bartender placed Sehun’s drink in front of him but Sehun paid him no attention. He kept his eyes trained on the boy who demanded an apology, which was duly given, by the owner of the club. The owner seemed to be wary of this boy and even offered him a VIP card for his visits in the future. Sehun snorted.

Bubble Gum Hair Boy’s posture became alert, almost as if he could hear Sehun’s snort. True enough, he turned sharply, his eyes looking straight at Sehun.

Sehun felt all the air leaving his lungs. Bubble Gum Hair Boy was Luhan.

Luhan grinned and, in a bound, landed on the seat beside Sehun. “Hello, Sehunnie. Aren’t you a little young to be here and… for On The Beach?”

Sehun blinked. “What?”

“You. Too young for clubs and On The Beach.” Luhan waved the bartender over. “Hey, dude, give me a Bloody Mary please.”

Sehun blinked again. “… uh. No. Not on the beach. Wait, no. Wait. Why do you care about my life? And what do you know about it?”

Luhan looked at Sehun, confused. The clouds in his head cleared and he laughed. He pointed at Sehun’s untouched drink, “No, Sehunnie. This. On The Beach. Don’t you know what you ordered?”

“Oh. Um… No idea. I just asked for something wild.”

Luhan giggled. He opened his mouth to say something when a huge cheer went up and the speakers started booming louder, if that was even possible.

“Hey, hey, ladies and gentlemen! Get ready for a night of DJ Gunhee mix!!!” A cheer went up again.

Luhan grimaced. “Kid, let’s go outside. I can’t hear myself think in here.” The bartender set his Bloody Mary in front of him. “Wait, excuse me, can I get this to go?”

The bartender froze. His left eye twitched. “To… To go??”

“Yeah. This too.” Luhan slid Sehun’s drink towards the bartender.

***

Sehun thought that they must be the first two people ever to get their drinks to go from a club. He took a sip of his drink from the plastic disposable cup in his hand.

The werewolf walked beside him, sipping from his own cup, the drink that he made Sehun paid for. It was the first time Sehun see a werewolf walking with a bounce in his every step, almost as if he was prancing along.

“Uh. Luhan?”

“I go by Lord Luhan but for you, pretty boy, you can call me Luhan hyung,” Luhan flashed him a cute smile.

Sehun bit his bottom lip. He hesitated, “Uh. The last time we met was… was…”

“When you’re too young to kill three pile of slime.”

“I was about to say three years ago, but yeah. That kinda works too,” Sehun gave a dry laugh.

Luhan squished the front of his sneakers on the nearest lamp post, dislodging a piece of dried mud on it. “Where did this gunk came from? These shoes cost six hundred dollars.”

Sehun kept quiet.

Luhan decided that his shoes were clean enough, “Why are you in that club, Sehunnie? Aren’t you, like, fifteen?”

Sehun gave Luhan a sideway glance, “Do I look fifteen or somewhat of age to you?”

“That’s true. No one can look as youthful as me huh. Haha.”

The two continued their stroll for quite some time before Sehun said, “You never answered me. How do you know me? And who are you?”

Luhan flashed Sehun a smile and kept quiet, contemplating a little. He slowed his steps and promptly hopped on the sidewalk wall and sat down, making himself comfortable. He patted the wall next to him and the Shadowhunter took his seat, performing a perfect backflip onto the wall. Luhan chuckled.

“Show off. Oh well. I believe I have a story to tell.”

“No one doesn’t know you, Sehun ah. Or rather, everyone knew Kim Junmyeon and his three sons. Wait, that sounds like that mundie children story, Goldilocks and the three bears. Haha. Anyway. That’s pretty much how I know you. That night, three years ago, I met you by pure coincidence. That area is a pretty dark area. Demons are always lurking around there. I believe it is a known fact to everyone, including you. It was my turn on duty and my senses are tingling as I approach that alley. I was just trying to figure out how many demons are there and what kind of demons are they when I spotted this little golden kid strutting all sassily into that alley. What can I do other than spy on him and help him should he need help?” Luhan grinned and took a swig of his drink.

“On duty? What duty? I didn’t know the werewolf packs were put on duty. I don’t think I’ve heard of that happening. The pack leader was… Minseok. Right? Still is him, right?”

Luhan nodded, “Yeah, still him. Though he goes by the name of Xiumin now. No, it wasn’t a duty for the pack.”

Sehun kept quiet, waiting for Luhan to continue. The werewolf seemed troubled, unsure of what to say. After a few minutes of silence, he made up his mind.

“It wasn’t an order. It was merely a standard operating procedure for the Praetor Lupus.”

There was an awkward silence.

Sehun’s brain whirred into action. Praetor Lupus. It was that elite werewolf organisation thing. He was sure that they only send agents out to specific cases, like when there are rogue Downworlders in need of guidance or something. As far as Sehun knew, there weren’t any rogue cases as of late, even three years ago. The Institute would be informed if there were.

And more specifically, Luhan would have been sixteen three years ago. Isn’t that too young to be a member of the Praetor Lupus?

“I know what you’re thinking, Sehun ah. No, there weren’t any rogue Downworlders then. I was chosen as a member of the elite squad four years ago. Elite squad status goes as long as you’re alive, even if you choose to leave the Praetor Lupus. Elite squad members wander around, somehow like feelers, to spot any problems. If we find any, often rogue Downworlders, we report back to the headquarters and that’s how they get to spot a problem and send an agent down to it. Did you think that the Praetor Lupus has a rogue Downworlders radar in their basement?” Luhan laughed at that.

Sehun merely smiled, took a sip of his drink, and thought.

“You mean… You made the elite squad when you were fifteen. Wow. How good are you, actually? And how young were you when you joined to allow you to climb to that rank at that age?”

Luhan puffed out his chest in pride, “I’m beyond good. That’s why I go by Lord Lu.” Luhan did a hair flick. “Unlike most agents, I sought out the Praetor Lupus to be trained. I was seven then.”

“….seven?! Who turned you?!”

Luhan shrugged, “I was bitten by accident by a rogue werewolf when I was five. He was killed by the elders of my village soon after. My parents took care of me but I often injure them when I Change. When I was seven, I told them of my decision and they sent me off. I do visit them often these days. I’m glad I went to the Praetor Lupus.”

Sehun fell silent.

Luhan took a deep breath and spoke up, “I am good enough to be a member of the elite squad. But in addition to that, there is another reason.” Luhan paused. “Ever since I was bitten, I kept feeling like I can’t find a place to settle down. A place to call home. I was overwhelmed with travel lust and could not stay in a place for too long. I just feel uncomfortable. Travel lust is not a good thing for you when you feel like you don’t belong anywhere. So I went to the Praetor Lupus. Even with the Praetor Lupus, I kept feeling like I don’t belong. I am always too young for people my rank. People my age were intimidated by my rank. I requested to be made a member of the elite squad and trained hard to be eligible.”

Luhan fell silent again. He picked up a handful of loose rocks from the wall and closed his fist around it. After seconds, he opened his fist again to allow the loose fine dust from the rocks he crushed to fall to the ground. He dusted his hands and continued, “Right before I left my village back in China, our village shaman came to me and told me that this unsettlement in me can only be washed away by a son of the Angel. Only he can make me feel at home.” At that, Luhan looked straight into Sehun’s eyes.

Sehun felt his chest being constricted. He had never noticed this but Luhan’s eyes sparkles.

Sehun swallowed audibly. “How… how can this son of the Angel save you?”

Luhan gave a weak smile. He seemed to make up his mind about something at that moment and looked straight at Sehun before replying, “Being around this son of the Angel will soothe this unsettlement in me, but that’s not enough in the long term run. Anytime we’re apart, this unsettlement will come back. The only way it can be banished forever is by… union. Of marriage.”

Sehun blinked. He considered. “But… Son of the Angel. That means the Nephilim. We… I’m not sure you know but when we marry, we exchange runes. And… Werewolves cannot bear runes, right?”

Luhan chuckled and pulled off his jacket to expose his upper arm to Sehun. “I guess that’s why I’m the only werewolf I’ve seen so far who can actually bear a rune.”

Of all runes, the rune marked on Luhan’s right upper arm, unmistakably, is the Mark of Cain.

Sehun gaped and reached out a finger to trace the rune. The rune glowed slightly when Sehun’s finger touched Luhan’s skin.

“Our village shaman, right after he told me about this son of the Angel thing, gripped my arm firmly, just a few moments. He left soon afterwards and this rune was there when I looked at where he gripped me.” Luhan pulled on Sehun’s wrist and placed Sehun’s fingers around his arm, just like how the village shaman had gripped him that many years ago. “This rune prevents anyone from hurting me. Anyone but this son of the Angel destined to be with me. This son of the Angel, he can either give me the world or break my heart into irreparable pieces.”

**Note: The Mark of Cain is a rune, where the bearer of the rune cannot be hurt physically. Any attempts to hurt him will result in the assaulter receiving the inflicted pain sevenfold.**

***

 

Sehunnie. Your eighteenth birthday. Next week. What are you doing on that day? -L

Dinner party at the Institute. You coming? -S

I’m invited? -L

Yeah. Open for all. Just don’t bring the entire pack from Praetor Lupus. You’ll scare everyone.-S

Cool. What do you want for your birthday? -L

 

Sehun sighed. Ever since their encounter at the club, he and Luhan had been in contact with each other. Close enough that Luhan occasionally taught Sehun some fighting techniques. Luhan’s Mark of Cain came to be very useful. Luhan trained Sehun’s archery by placing an apple (later on walnut) on his head and told Sehun to shoot at it with rounded tip practice arrows. Every time Sehun shot Luhan by mistake, he’ll get punished by receiving seven fold of pain inflicted upon Luhan, albeit unintentionally.

They were so close that Sehun often went to Luhan with his problems rather than his brothers. Now that Sehun’s older, he can’t help but to feel something more, something different, for Luhan.

Luhan’s story about the child of the Angel who will either save or ruin him was never far from Sehun’s mind.

What shall I reply him? I want only him? No, that’s so audacious. He’ll laugh at me. But what can I say? Nothing? He’ll just bug me forever. And then bring me something so hideous I’ll get nightmare for months.

His phone buzzed.

Nothing? Not even me? ✿♥‿♥✿ -L

Sehun swore. He gave it some moment before typing out his reply. He sent it quickly before he can think twice about it.

***

Sehun smiled and took a sip of his wine. It was his eighteenth birthday and he was going around greeting everyone who came to celebrate his birthday. He politely excused himself from the conversation he had with Changmin, a warlock, and Yeri, a vampire. He scanned the crowd and still failed to spot a certain werewolf.

He pulled out his phone and checked his messages. Luhan did not reply to his last message since last week.

Don’t bother bringing anything for me. Just come. That’s enough for me.-S

Sehun sighed. Getting himself a fresh glass of wine, he decided to catch some fresh air at the rooftop. Thinking along the line of Why not? he drew out his stele and marked himself with a rune to enable him to walk up the wall of the Institute to the rooftop. Another wave of Why not? came over to him and he decided to lean his entire body against the wall, right at the top, as if the wall was a ground that he could just lay on. He took a deep breath and sipped his wine. He closed his eyes and slowed his breathing.

At the edge of his awareness, Sehun sensed the door to the rooftop opening and two people came through it to the rooftop. One set of footsteps was unmistakably his adoptive father, Junmyeon’s. The other set was somewhat familiar but he wasn’t able to put a label to it.

“Did Sehun invited you?” asked Junmyeon.

The reply that came almost immediately was from a very familiar voice.

“Yeah. He invited everyone and told us that the party tonight is open for all.”

It was Luhan.

“True that,” said Junmyeon.

Sehun gripped his wine glass tight. What’s going on?

It was some time before Junmyeon spoke again.

“You think that Sehun is the one who can save you?”

Sehun’s eyes widen.

When Luhan spoke, his voice was absolute. “I don’t think it is him.”

Sehun deflated a little.

Before Junmyeon could say something in return, Luhan went on. “I know it is him.”

Sehun almost dropped his wine glass.

“How… how can you be so sure? Sehun is just seventeen. Well, eighteen now.”

Luhan took several steps before replying. “I guessed it is him way before this. When he was about twelve or so, a few weeks before I met him properly for the first time. Since my suspicion about him, I just followed him around everywhere, trying to come up with a way to confirm it. Then I met him properly for the first time, when I saved him from those Ravener demons. It wasn’t-“

“And I haven’t thank you properly for that. Thank you for saving my son,” interrupted Junmyeon.

Luhan bowed his head in acknowledgement and continued, “It wasn’t until the second time I met him that I was able to confirm that he is the one. My Mark of Cain. When he touches it, it glowed.”

There was a long period of a very pregnant silence.

It seems like months had passed before Junmyeon sighed. “Very well. I understand. We should let Sehun know this. I don’t think that it will go badly with him. It is obvious that he is smitten with you, right, Sehunnie?”

 Sehun froze. Two heads popped over his head. He looked up slowly and spotted Luhan and Junmyeon looking down at him. He gripped Luhan’s proffered hand and vaulted onto the rooftop.

“How did you know that I’m here?”

Jumyeon and Luhan chuckled. Junmyeon ruffled Sehun’s hair. “You’re my son. I can sense you a mile away. As for Luhan, well, you’ve heard how you two are connected to each other. How can he not sense you on the wall?”

Sehun bit his lip.

“I shall leave you two to talk. Sehunnie, just you know, we will support you no matter what. You’re our family. And if Luhan is meant to be, Luhan is family too.” Junmyeon left right after saying that.

Sehun lowered his gaze and examined his shoes. He could feel Luhan’s gaze on him. He twisted his foot to trace the pattern of the floor with the toe of his shoes.

“Don’t do that. You’ll damage those shoes. Those are custom made Stefano Bemer, right?”

Sehun stopped.

“Look at me.”

Sehun’s eyes flickered and remained fixed on the floor.

“Sehunnie. Look at me. Now.”

Sehun raised his head but not his eyes.

Luhan sighed. He approached Sehun and gripped both of his hands in his. He peered up at Sehun and forced him to meet his eyes. “You’ve heard what we said. What do you think?”

Sehun was silent for a long time. “What can I think about? It is fixed right? I cannot ruin you, I won’t. So… When do we get married?”

Luhan gasped. He released his hands and took a few steps back. He turned around and went over to the edge of the terrace. He balled up his fist and pounded the top of the wall, hard. Some rocks fell off, scattering around his feet.

Sehun stared at Luhan’s back. After some moment, he heard… sniffling?

He stretched out an arm and took a hesitating step towards the werewolf. “Luhan hyung?”

Luhan turned around and looked at Sehun, tears washing down his face. “I don’t want to be married to you just to save myself. What about you? What do you feel about me? Are you intending to marry me just to save me or do you actually feel something for me?”

Seeing Luhan’s tears flipped a switch in Sehun. He closed into Luhan in two steps and wrapped the werewolf in his arms. “Luhan hyung… Luhan… Please don’t cry. Please. I don’t want to see you crying.”

Luhan burrowed into Sehun’s chest and sobbed harder. It was some time before his sobs subsided. Sehun didn’t stop Luhan’s back, murmuring comforting words to him.

Luhan pulled away from Sehun’s embrace and looked straight at Sehun. “You… Sehunnie… You… You do love me, right?”

Sehun hesitated and nodded shyly. “But hyung… I… I’ve never… It is… No, I mean, I… I don’t mind marrying you but, no wait! Not that I don’t mind, I’d love to but we’ve never… I mean, we’ve never tried being together or even just think about each other that way so… It’s like… You see, marriage is a huge thing and-“

“I know, Sehunnie!” Luhan gripped Sehun’s hands tightly in his and smiled with bright eyes. “We can start now. Start afresh, if you want to. Let’s get to know each other again. Without all these notions and duty bound thing. If we don’t feel comfortable about it, we won’t get married. I don’t think it is wise to rush into it just because of me.”

“But hyung. If we don’t get married, you won’t be able to be at ease. You’ll feel uneasy forever. You’ll be so lonely,” argued Sehun.

“If we get married this hastily and then realise that we’re not suitable for each other, both of us will suffer. But if we take things slowly for now and try to work things out… It may turn out for the best.” Luhan patted Sehun’s hands reassuringly. “You don’t have to feel obliged to marry me. You’re only eighteen and I’m twenty two. We have so much more time ahead of us. I want us to get married because we want to, because we love each other dearly, not because of how heroic you want to be.”

They fell silent. Sehun considered this idea in his mind properly.

“Okay. I see what you mean. Let’s… let’s do this then.”

Luhan beamed at him brightly. He nodded enthusiastically and pulled Sehun to his feet. “That’s the way, Sehun ah. That cleared, I believe you are wanted downstairs. You’re the birthday boy after all.”

Sehun allowed a small smile on his lips as he followed Luhan through the door, towards the party. Before they could push the heavy doors leading to the ballroom, Sehun tugged on Luhan’s hand.

“Hyung. Then… what are we now? To each other. What’s our relationship status?”

Luhan grinned cheekily at Sehun. He took a step closer and kissed Sehun lightly on the cheek.

“I believe mundanes calls this… dating? Seeing each other in a fond way? Something like that?”

Sehun ran his tongue over his drying lips. “So to say, you’re now my boyfriend?”

Luhan cocked his head to one side. “If you want to put a name to it, I guess so, yeah.” Luhan looped an arm through Sehun’s arm. “Let’s go socialise, boyfriend.”

 


 

Anyone has any idea where did those Angel names Sehun named his seraph blades after came from?