Number One

Undisputed Sway

The dark night surrounds his body, as the moonlight illuminates the cold air, then one , two , three raindrops falls onto his face and soon it starts pouring gently. The harsh air and the coldness of the floor his lying on , cause his body to shiver . There was no strength left in him to even move a finger , slowly he closes his eyes in defeat.

 

“How you like it now loser. Was it worth it meddling around business that doesn’t concern you!” A teenage boy with his shirt dishevelled shouted.

Changmin laid on the floor covering his stomach as more kicks and punches were thrown in his way. How did it get to this? Only this morning he was arguing with his hyung about waking up late and not eating breakfast, he knew he should’ve stayed and eaten, then we wouldn’t stumble upon those bastards . But his teachers threats of him being late again would resort in detention prevents him from doing so. Getting a detention would mean getting a beating from his older brother, but at least he won’t be dead by the end of it, he wasn’t so sure of his fate now though. To be honest , how could he let a kid shorter and much younger then himself get pushed around by these hooligans. He was sure he had better endurance of getting beaten up compared to the scrawny kid.

“We’ve mute now , aren’t we punk. Just a moment ago your mouth was spewing s, not so tough now you twart.” Another hard kick landed on his legs.

(Really changmin that smart mouth of you is going to get you killed someday) He remembered Jaejoong hyung saying just not too long ago.

“Are you pigs done now. I’m sure it’s dinner time for you folks ,so hurry back to your sty.” Changmin said casually but he knew it took quite a great amount of energy just to open his mouth . Any normal human being would know not to poke a beehive , but being his sarcastic self, changmin couldn’t stop himself even if he wanted to. And no surprise that lead to more hard punches and kicks until he loses his consciousness.

 

By the time he woke up , the bloody night greeted upon him. It took him a few moment to realise that school should be finish by now and he has a home , a home where someone always waits for him, and that someone would he flipped out by now. He mustered enough strength to reach for his phone that wasn’t that far away from him. 5 miscalls and 11 texts. He cursed under breathe. This will not result in anything good. He decided to return the call but not before his phone rang with the caller id showing the person who he intended to contact. He gave a painful sigh before picking up.

“Umm Hello hyu-“

“SHIM CHANGMIN! Where the HELL are you. DO you know what time it is now. You have school TOMORROW , you can’t stay out this late and without telling me or Yunho. It’s a good thing he’s not here right now or he would have beaten you up into pulp and don’t think I’ll save you this time.This is too much! Now tell me what are you doing? You better be dying or something worse.”Changmin winced as the man shouted from the other side of the call.

“ I’m not dying but I it sure feels like it if that would made you feel any better. I’d really like to go home right now, it’s pouring and cold but there’s no buses or train operating this late. I can’t walk unless you want me to crawl and slide, I really can’t do anything. So could you come pick me up and yell at me in the car. I’m at the dumpster behind the school.” Changmin tries explaining. His hyung has every right to be mad, but right now he just wants to be home and toasty.

“Hey min-ah are you alright? I’ll come and get you now ok. Please don’t go anywhere and wait for me, and don’t hang up. I want you to stay on the line so I know that you’re safe.” Jaejoong’s voice laced with worry and guilt for yelling without knowing what was happening. He hurriedly get to his car and drove as fast as he could to get the young boy.

 

“Yunho , there’s 3 last boxes to be loaded up and we’re done for the day.” A man in his 60’s shouted.

“I’ll get it hyung , don’t worry.” Yunho answered as he proceed to carry all three at the same time. It was getting late and he really wanted to get home as soo as possible

Yunho saw a couple of men talking loudly, seem to be complaining about something. It puzzled Yunho how these men could still be doing jobs like this that require a lot amount of strength . Not that he’s looking down upon these elderly man , he himself a fit 23 year old guy find it exhausting and draining by the end of the day.

“Did you hear they are going to make more cuts this month. Apparently there are less work each coming month so they don’t need as much workers. Damn!” One of the guys said. All of them keep talking about it as Yunho listened worriedly. If he gets cut again for the 3rd time this month , how was he going to pay the rent and food and not to mention his younger brother’s school fee. He left for home soon after into the inviting hands of his lover and annoying yet lovable younger brother.

 

“Yunho-yah you’re home. I’m heating up some food would you like some.” Jaejoong yelled from the kitchen.

“Yes please , I’m starving.” Yunho said as he flopped himself onto the couch. His eyes caught upon a first aid kit that jaejoong had probably left. It didn’t take long for him to figure out. Changmin must have gotten into a fight again and that makes it twice this week only!

“Hey Jae , did changmin  get into a fight again.” Yunho asked the man sharply. Jaejoong was caught off guard as he stuttered a response.

“Erm why would you say that. He’s asleep cause it’s way past midnight and he has school tomorrow , if you’re wondering.”

“I’m not asking where he is. He fought again didn’t he. That kid , I swear he never learns his lesson.This is the second time already!”

“Yunho please just let the boy sleep. He has school tomorrow , can you at least yell at him tomorrow after school. He can’t be late again or his teachers are going to throw fits at him and us.”

“You always side with him Jae. You know what, I’m not hungry anymore. I’m going to bed.” Yunho said defeatedly as he proceed to the other room.

“Hey Yunho wait up. Is something wrong? You don’t … you don’t look so good.” Jaejoong said as he held onto Yunho’s arm preventing him from leaving.

“I might get sacked again tomorrow. It’s really hard to find job nowadays , I’m worried what would happen if I don’t. School fees are so expensive and we’re really behind on rent they might kick us out anytime.” Yunho said sadly.

“Yun… don’t worry to much. It’s not good for your health. You get stomach ulcers when you’re stressed. I’ll just work double shift at the restaurants. No big deal. Those school girls always crowd our place after school, so there’s plenty of work to do.” Jaejoong smiled as he puts two arms on yunho’s shoulder.

“You do realise you’re the reason they’re there. Aish this is even worse. My boyfriend is selling himself for money.” Whined yunho.

“Shut up drama queen. Come on let’s eat , your potbelly can’t retain itself without night binge eating.” Jaejoong said laughing as he pulled yunho lightly towards the dining table. He’s glad Yunho had totally forgotten about scolding changmin. Looking at he’s current state , that boy would need a long sleep and one more peaceful night is all he could do for him. He wasn’t sure about tomorrow though, Yunho’s quite the persistent type when disciplining his little brother. A bit too strict in his opinion but he knew the reason why.

 Their parents died when changmin was still quite young , leaving Yunho to assume the role of a dad. They had a fairly rough life. All three of them had been living together since Yunho was fresh out from high school and changmin just entering middle school. It has been a bumpy ride for all three but jaejoong couldn’t ask for a different person to get through the hardships together. Yunho , the person who taught him love and compassion and changmin, the young brat he cared for so much more than himself.

It was raining heavily still with no sign of stopping , jaejoong was feeling nostalgic all of a sudden. He thought back to when he was thrown away by his so called relatives. He had gone hungry for days and finally collapsed on top of a pile of garbage. His eyes were staring straight to the pouring dark sky, and he remembered thinking to himself about death. How he was so sure that night would be the end of his life as he closes his eyes. Not a moment later he no longer felt the rain drops. Did the rain stop? Wanting to find out he opened his eyes closely only to be greeted with the most beautiful sight he would never forget for the rest of his life. A young man not older than himself with a young kid at his side holding an umbrella right above him and the words that Yunho had uttered that night was the first kindness he had receive ever since he could remember.

"You'll get sick sleeping here. Come on home with us, it's not much but it's a home."