Chapter Two: Hello, You

The Lucky One

Chapter Two: Hello, You

 

After a tiring day of going over handouts and handbooks, Illhoon said his goodbye to Sungjae, making his way towards the boys locker room now. He was one of the first from the baseball team to get to the lockers and change into his practice outfit. Shortly after Zelo and Jimin followed. The three stared at each other with no greetings, just minding their own business.

 

“Ain't it Park Jimin...ehhh.” Kim Namjoon (or so they called him RapMonster, Rap Mon for short, since he was said to rap a lot on the field) one of their teammates enter the room, “Yaaaa,” he walked over to Jimin, wrapping his hands around Jimin's shoulders, “you're going to be captain this year right?” He popped one of his lollipop into his mouth as he let out a small chuckle starring at Zelo and Illhoon.

 

“Eehhh,” Jimin let out a light laughter, “it seems like I have some competition this year again.”

 

“Don't get your head to high up in the clouds,” Yongguk carelessly bumped his left shoulder towards Namjoon, “Second stringers shouldn't be talking so much.” Yongguk put away his bags and started dressing.

 

“Psshh,” Rap Monster quickly changed as the others began rushing in.

 

“You guys...” Yongguk grabbed his cap, gloves and bat, “I mean, boys, better hurry if you boys don't want to be running five miles on the first day back.” He then left.

 

The boys headed out towards the baseball field, to be overwhelm with some girls that were passing by. They would smile, giggle and turn the other way as if they were staring at idols. As one girl walked on by without glancing at the boys, Zelo for some reason found himself suddenly engaged with her presence. Her short shoulder length brown hair, her scent...it was all too familiar.

 

“Kanji...” his eyes widen as he suddenly stopped in his track.

 

“Watch it dude,” Rap Monster pushed Zelo who fell forward, “tsk.”

 

“I swear...it was her.” He picked his pace back up, lowered his cap and took one last glance at the girl who was getting further away, until she turned the corner, disappearing.

 

Practice was good. It was tiring but good. Everyone was exhausted after such a long first day of school and workout. Jimin could barely feel his legs as he got out of the shower room. Everyone was getting ready to head back home or back to the dorm room. Zelo grabbed his duffel bag and was the first to leave. Illhoon followed shortly after.

 

“Hey,” he caught up to Zelo's side. He never stood side by side Zelo ever before, I mean, he knew Zelo was super tall for his age, but he didn't expect to feel so small next to a younger guy, “Uhh..” he cleared his throat as Zelo stopped walking and faced Illhoon.

 

“Can I help you?” Zelo slowly blinked his eyes from being so tired.

 

“I just wanted to say, thanks for today. Out in the field, for giving me your spare water bottle.”

 

“It was nothing,” Zelo gave him a small grin, “just putting myself in another person's shoes, hopefully, next time you can do the same for someone in need.” He then began walking back to his dorm room.

 

“Aish, that punk.” Illhoon scratched the back of head, “I'm older than you!” Illhoon yelled at Zelo, who put his right hand up waving bye, “Yaaa, punk!”

 

Jimin found himself alone in the locker room now. Everyone had left home, he grabbed his belongings and stared at his watch that wrapped around his right wrist. It was already ten. As Jimin walked out of the locker room he notice someone standing about 15 feet away from him. It was a girl, with shoulder length hair. She turned around as the wind just so happened to blow, swaying her hair with the direction it was going.

 

“Oh...Kanji!” Jimin's lips curled up as he jogged towards her with his duffel bag bouncing back and forth, “Why are you still at school?” She was rather short today, he thought.

 

“I...” her face turned pink, “I called Jungkook and he said you were still here at school.” She smiled, oh the way she smiled, it always made Jimin's knees weak.

 

“How..h, how did you know I was still in the locker room?” He was now getting shy, just the fact that she had called Jungkook about his whereabouts.

 

“Jungkook said that you had practice today...so, I just assumed...”

 

“Since you've waited for me, I'll treat you out to some food.” He grabbed her left arm and wrapping it around his right arm, “My treat.”

 

-----Flashback-----

 

Her short shoulder length brown hair, her scent...it was all too familiar.

 

Kanji...” his eyes widen as he suddenly stopped in his track.

 

-----End of Flashback-----

 

Zelo sat at his desk, Jongup already fast asleep. He had been doing so well, keeping himself busy, but after seeing someone who reminded him of her, he was suddenly back to ground zero. He stood up from where he was sitting, slipped on his Nike slippers and headed outside for some fresh air. As he made his way out of the dorm room building, he spotted someone who looked like Park Jimin. He was walking towards Zelo who was already walking towards him.

 

“Pftt,” Zelo let out a small sigh, “a guy like him has a girlfriend?” It was dark, but the lights clearly showed Jimin hooking arms with a girl.

 

“Oh, isn't that Zelo?” Jimin could see Zelo walking towards him and Kanji.

 

“Zelo?” She looked at Jimin, then slowly turning her head to looking right ahead of her, and Jimin was right, it was Zelo. You couldn't missed him, his tall figure, always stood out, even with just the lamppost lights, lighting the school.

 

As they all inched closer to one another, Zelo saw the girl looking at Jimin then slowly turning her head towards his direction. Their eyes locked. It was her...it was Kang Kanji. His heart dropped. He hadn't been imagining that afternoon when he passed her. It was her.

 

“Ah, Zelo.” Jimin stopped in front of him, “Why are you walking around so late at night?”

 

“I should be asking you the same thing.” Zelo lowered his head before turning the other cheek to avoid her.

 

“Just about to leave,” Jimin smiled, “Oh this is my friend, Kanji.”

 

“Hello, you.” She lowered her head.

 

“We aren't close like that,” Zelo bluntly turned to look at Jimin, “for you to be introducing me to your real friends.” He then looked at Kanji who refused to look at him now too, “Just make sure to get her home safe.” He then began walking on.

 

“Aish, that punk.” Jimin snarled, “I'm trying to make peace.” He let out a sigh, “Oh, mian.” He stared at Kanji, “Ignore punks like him.”

 

“Jimin-ah, how about we grab dinner another night? It's already getting late.”

 

“Oh...adasso. I'll just walk you back to your dorm then.”

 

“Aniya,” she smiled, “I'll just go back myself. You're already here at your dorm room, just go inside, my dorm room is just ten minutes away from here, I'll be okay.” She insisted until Jimin finally went inside.

 

As she made her way towards her dorm room, she found Zelo sitting on a parked benched, on the way towards her room. He stood up and turned his direction towards her. She walked towards him, brushing passed him. Not stopping in her track. She felt her heart pounding. Then she felt his hand grabbing onto her right wrist, it had been so long since she felt his touch.

 

“Kang Kanji.” His voice, how she had missed the way he always called her name, “Hello, you.”