Changing times

Changing times

Namjoon smiled bitterly as he hugged the members one by one. Hoseok cried loudly as he never knew a day like this would ever come.

“Are we really disbanding?” Taehyung asked desperately. The younger members were still recovering from the shock that came with such an announcement. “We can’t be disbanding after all we’ve been through…”

“I’m sorry Taehyung… but we have no choice…” Seokjin replied wiping away tears that were forming.

“But…. But…. Why?” Jimin asked feeling this throat tighten, “What happened to the Bangtan that produced music that helped people through hard times and made everyone smile?”

“Yeah… but that doesn’t bring in the money, now does it?” Yoongi said bitterly, “It’s all appeal and cheesy love songs that people buy. Not music like ours.”

“I like our music…” Jungkook spoke quietly. Yoongi regretted being so harsh with the truth as he watched the three youngest members start to break down. Bangtan had been a dream that they all shared but no one knew a dream would end so suddenly.

“What’s everyone going to do now?” Hoseok said dabbing a tissue under his eye.

“I’m going back underground,” Yoongi stated plainly as if it was a simple fact that didn’t need to be said. He looked at Namjoon who shook his head sadly.

“Sorry hyung but my mum wants me to go find a more suitable job,” Namjoon replied sadly, “she was against me joining the music industry from the start and now that Bighit’s announced our disbandment, she’s been nagging me to go to university to become a doctor or something like that.”

“You wouldn’t be too bad at that considering that you were in the nation’s top 0.01% when you were at school,” Seokjin said with a small smile.

“I guess but I’m destructive remember?” Namjoon replied indicating to his hands. The seven boys shared a laugh, reminiscing the old times where they mucked around in front of the camera, chilled when the camera was off but most importantly stayed true to themselves and did what they loved; together.

The goodbyes that came after were anything but short and sweet. There was crying, excessive tissue use and the endless regret that everything was over. Jungkook and Jimin were being transferred over to YG where they’ll continue training as dancers. Seokjin was offered an acting role in an upcoming drama and Hoseok was offered a place in a dance group in America. The only person who didn’t know what he was going to do with his life was Taehyung.

“You’ll find something,” Seokjin advised, “I promise.” Taehyung managed a smile as he pulled the door of their dorm shut and followed everyone out of the building. The seven boys said their final goodbyes and promised to stay in touch before going their own way.

Taehyung was left on the doorstep of Bighit entertainment after he’d returned the keys to the reception. He wasn’t as young as he used to be but he still had the will power of his younger self. He never told the other members but he was offered many acting roles in movies and dramas yet he declined all of them. Why? Because Bangtan meant everything to him and he’d give up anything to return to a time when they were still young, naïve and didn’t know the cold harsh burn of reality.