distance does matter

winter to summer

distance does matter


887w, idol!AU

 

Chanyeol fiddles with the phone in his hand, contemplating. He slides the lock open – the wallpaper is the default wallpaper that he’s itched to change to the picture of a certain someone, but doesn’t. Because there shouldn’t be any trace at all, not even the slightest clue, that there’s someone that he adores, someone he treasures, someone he cares about deeply.

 

Being an idol is what he chooses from himself and he doesn’t regret it, but sometimes, sometimes Chanyeol wishes he’s just another face in the crowd who’s able to walk around without being followed by sasaengs. Because there are times he wants to hold her hand on public, uncaring about cameras and the witnessing eyes.

 

She’s probably practicing right now, so even if Chanyeol sends her a message, she won’t see it right away. And they agree to… put their feelings aside for now, him with his recent comeback and long list of concerts, her with her upcoming comeback.

 

But Chanyeol has always been the affectionate type, used to daily contact and lots of I love you. He’s not used to hold his feelings back.

 

“Chanyeol,” Manager Hyung peeks into his room. “Are you ready? Let’s go now.”

 

“Yes, Hyung,” he replies dutifully. The dorm is empty – Jongin doesn’t count since he’s sleeping like a log on his bed. The other members are on their own individual schedules or out practicing, Chanyeol feels a little bit lonely that he has to go to Brunei without saying goodbye to them, and Kyungsoo probably doesn’t even know he’s going today since he hasn’t come home for two days.

 

He grabs his snapback and types a message to their group chat, saying that he’s going to the airport now and he’ll be back safely.

 

Baekhyun replies almost as soon as Chanyeol’s message hit the group chat, Yah you’re going now? Bring the vitamin I bought you and show it to the cast alright? kkk

 

It brings smile to him, at the very least.

 

He contemplates again, wondering whether to tell her or not, but does it matter? The news of their crew departing to Brunei will probably show up later in the evening – she'll read it tomorrow.

 

Sighing, Chanyeol pockets his phone and leaves the room after giving Jongin a gentle pat on his head – the boy doesn’t even stir in his sleep.

 

***

 

Even if it’s only him, there’s still a lot of fans come to the airport. Chanyeol spots familiar faces of his fansite and he gives them a few seconds of eye-contact to make them happy. Some of them know a little bit too much about him, he doesn’t want end up having leaked photos. 

 

He’s chatting with the other casts of Law of The Jungle, keeping the smile on his face even though he’s tired and wants to sleep right there on the spot. Too many eyes, too many cameras – he’s not Park Chanyeol, he’s EXO’s Happy Virus, Chanyeol.

 

His phone buzzes and Chanyeol checks on it – it’s his mother, telling him to take care on his trip and to eat on time. She says he’s getting skinnier again after the concerts. He moves away from the other guests, leaning to the wall for comfort.

 

He’s in the middle of replying his mother’s message when another chat comes in.

 

Chanyeol’s breathe hitches when he reads ‘ㅂ’ as the sender of the katalk. He shifts slightly, making sure no camera can zoom in to his phone screen.

 

You’re leaving today to Brunei? Now?

 

How do you know?

 

Baekhyun-ssi told me.

You’re gonna leave without telling me?

 

I’m sure you’re busy.

I don’t want to disturb you.

 

You’re not…

 

For a while, there’s no more messages – Chanyeol wonders if she already goes back to practicing, but when the next line comes, he has to cover his mouth with his fist, faking a cough so people won’t see the smile threatening to bloom in his face.

 

Oppa, I miss you.

 

I’m still here, though? I’m not leaving yet.

 

Still too far from me.

And you’re going further away.

 

Chanyeol is not used to hold his feelings back – but he’s also not used of this side of her, the side that’s not holding back. She always takes Chanyeol’s affection coolly, surprisingly not as cheesy or corny in real life, unlike her endless fan-services for Pink Pandas. Sometimes Chanyeol gets ridiculously jealous of those fan-services; not that he’ll admit it out loud.

 

When Chanyeol’s still shocked with the message, he receives yet another one.

 

I need to go back, Chorong Unnie’s calling.

Be safe. Don’t cry again

Mehrong

 

Work hard!

I won’t cry again -_-

Don’t forget to eat, understand?

 

Can’t check phone until tomorrow, but tell me when you land?

Just want to know you’re safe.

 

Okay, I will.

 

He doesn’t get any reply after that.

 

He stares at his phone screen for a while, thinking of the miles he’ll about to go through, and distance is just another word in their relationship, they still can’t see each other even when they’re in the same city, yet – it feels different.

 

Chanyeol sighs, closing his eyes for a few seconds, before he decides to be his usual honest self and types his feelings – even if she won’t read it until tomorrow, even if she may not return the words.

 

사랑한다, 윤보미*

 


 

*I love you, Yoon Bomi

 

Finally I just decided to make the collection. Help me and send ideas/prompt/AU? Thank you for reading!