Down The Pavement

Down The Pavement

 

 

 

My body stung and parts of my skin were purple red. There were no days that I did not have these wounds displayed on my physique. I was beaten day and night. As soon as the demon saw me lingering outside my room or caught me in the corner of a dark space, I was luckier if I was dead.

 

 

 

I once belonged to a family that every person was dreaming of. My father was a salary man and my mother was a plain housewife. It might be a simple living but we were happy and peaceful. Until one day, my father lost his job due a false accusation provided to him. His confidence and trust to himself was gone and he would not like to find another job after what happened. There was no man that would not understand what he had gone through. Instead, Mom took his place and worked for the sake of our family. Dad, he was home and stuck at the living room drinking a liquid that I did not know at that time called 'Alcohol'. Whenever I see him sitting at the couch, swaying the sinful bottle in his hand, it felt like, little by little, the father I know was disappearing.

 

And, something worse.

 

 

I was forced to wake up one morning when I heard a loud bang behind the wall of my room. I hurriedly went out of there and found my mother crying, holding her face. That was when I noticed it was so red, a hand printed on it. Across her was my father, whom I did not know if I could call him that again. He looked more like a monster in my view, with his pair of red glaring eyes. He pointed at my direction that as if I did something wrong but Mom blocked his way to me.

“Don't include him here!” Mom shouted. She pushed me to my room, closed the door, and after that I didn't have any sight of what happened next, but I know that chaotic morning did not end there. I heard shout, cry and slamming objects to the other side of my wall. I was horrified, hiding myself under my study table.

That was just the first and one of the times my father fed us his terror.

 

Mom openly broadcast the schedule of her work to our small family, so Dad would not build any suspicion to her. But, even she was sometimes late of going home with just 1 minute, words as sharp as knives were coming out of Dad's mouth. He accused her of wavering and to the point, he tell-tales Mom was sleeping with another man. His hallucination was devouring his whole being.

Verbal abuse was not enough to punish my innocent mother, he even beaten her to pulp, who as if not the partner he chose for his married life.

Whenever I came out in our little apartment for school, I always caught the occupants next door were also outside, but they quickly vanished in the scene as soon as they noticed me. There were some who opened their doors a little to peek at me. There were some I heard whispers and the topic of their conversation was no other than our family.

I heard them said, “Poor boy.” And, I heard them said, “We should not get ourselves involved.”

In my young age of 10, life was getting difficult for me. I needed to face the shame Dad provided to our family. I did not have anyone to ask for help for my mother's situation and mine, because all of the people around me were scared. Mom was too fragile but her flesh and bones kept on breaking to protect me. Her radiant smile was no longer to be seen on her face, she, the perfect model for a battered wife.

 

For two years of uncountable violence, my mother could not bear life anymore. Sobbing seemed to be my daily routine every night and one of those times, I was curled at the side of my bed, Mom approached me. She said, “Be brave for me.” and “I'm sorry.” She kissed me on top of my head, kept me in a warm and tight embrace, and stayed with me through the night.

I woke up as the sun rose; found no mother by my side. She was out in the middle of the living room, feet floating in the air. She hanged herself, cold and lifeless.

Losing Mom meant losing my sense for life.

 

Everything was fast. I did not have the chance to see my mother as she was sent to the grave. It was dawn when my father harshly pulled me from my bed and carried me to his shoulder like I was just a doll. He spun us around my room, and then took us in front of my dresser. I could only view his inverted back, did not try to move because I was scared of him. I heard him open my drawer and it was like he was rummaging my clothes and slumping it to somewhere. I was not really sure.

Every door we passed on by was close and a little relieve that there was no judging eyes to watch us leave. The tiny gentleness he provided me was abruptly gone when he threw me at the backseat of his car, as well as a huge black backpack which was tossed directly to my face. I quickly felt fear, and thought I was his next victim. We travelled then to our new house where we lived for five years together.

In that new building, it was smaller than before, seemed abandoned, seemed there were no people living there except us. The brown which looked to be rose coloured wallpaper in the corridors were ripping apart as we walked by, then we ended to an old wood door. He pulled a set of keys from his pocket and once he was able to put in the correct one on the hole, a dusty room welcomed us. And as I expected, it was smaller than what we had.

He cruelly took the huge bag hanging from my shoulder, kicked the door on the side and pushed me in there. He dropped the bag on that floor of the room where he put me before he closed the door.

I panicked and about to knock the door that was dividing us, but I heard him speak. “Chanyeol.” I froze. That voice who spoke was my warm Dad that I used to know so I listened to him. “From now on, you will not go to school and never go out of this house. This is for your own good, my son.”

That very moment, I wanted to pass through the window and jump down lower ground. I wanted myself to die. I kept repeating in my mind, 'I'm next! I'm next!'

 

The door my room was always locked, no sharp objects could be found there, no escape or no chance for suicide. I was not sure if the rusty windows were locked by my father or they were naturally stuck like that. My fingers would break if I tried more to open them.

I was more than a prisoner. Dad was not giving me any food and water for the two days I stayed there. I was thinking if he kept me in that room so I would die in starvation. He would kill me after all. But, he opened the door one morning and found me asleep sitting on the floor, my back resting on the wall. He gave me a piece of bread, just a plain bun, and a glass of water. Would that suffice my hunger?

He said. “Eat quick.” I could not do what he was commanding because I lost all my strength and agility. When I had taken almost half of the bread into my stomach, he pulled me up by the collar of my shirt and we travelled out to the shower.

The water was cold and abruptly hit my skin. Even I am freezing, I stayed silent as much as I could and instead, I quietly stared at my pale body, which had become thinner for two years of hell. I was able to endure it as I was occupied of following the water running down then up. That was the only time I noticed that my father was idle behind me. I slowly turned my head to him, seeing a man intently looking at me. I wondered but it was answered when he wrapped his arms around me. The shivers doubled in me.

“I'm sorry.” He said with a hurt tone. I was reluctant to face him fully but I still did. He, on the other hand, gradually held my cheek, looking at me directly in my eyes with his same glinting one. I was not sure if I could trust him but maybe after all, he had regretted all his wrong deeds. I gulped and waited for what he would say next, yet he hugged me tightly. All this while, I could not smell the alcohol from him.

Then, the awaited continuation of his words finally came out.

“Sally.” Sally? “I'm really sorry. I know you're a good person, Sally. You're not going to leave me again, right, Sally?”

It is like my world was spinning in an instance when I heard that name. She was my dead mother. I did not look like her and I did not look like him. People had noticed that but it was not a big deal. He called me Chanyeol before we got here. Why was he calling me that? If he was seeing her in me, that basically confirmed my stature in this tragic life.

But, the events were confusing.

Hand in hand, he took me with him heading to his room. I simply looked down and followed the trails of the excess water dripping down from me to the wooden floor. If I step my feet harder on the ground, I imagined it would create an infinite hole down below.

Once we had reached his room, he pulled a clean towel out from the closet and dried me with it. He was careful with his wipes while he was smiling; clothes were wet from my bath. A little hope was forming within me that the Dad I known would return and we would live normal again. After two days of locking me down, with no food and water, then fed me with half of the bread, pulled me into a cold shower, and now, he was changed completely to a kind father. I was asking myself if I could trust him.
Keeping me silent, I watched him pick a shirt from the closet. It was a white long-sleeve that he used to wear at his work. He faced me again and still had that curve on his lips as he put the shirt on me.

I thought that moment would change his treatment for a lifetime. But, I was wrong,

 

Now that no mother would protect me and the one who received his hand of steel, he was free to do all the abused to me as much as he wanted to. There was no way to break out even I tried hiding in the deepest darker corner of that shabby house. He always had a way to capture me and mentally, physically, ually damaged every part of my humanity. I had been praying to die in every pounding he had done or give me a chance to take my own life away. But five years had passed, the broken me was still alive.

 

Every night, every time the monster exhausted his own son's remaining strength to plead for mercy, I stared at the wounds he marked me that as if it would stay on my skin forever. If light from the bright sun and the moon which were shifting schedule in appearing on my window was the hope that I would pass through this inferno, I was not sure if there was an ending for me. Happy or tragedy, I had no clue.

The only way to flee from the reality nightmare was the dream I always had whenever I became unconscious. I opened my eyes and a vast view of flower field was in front of me. My mother called my name, waving her hand as she was at the center of the blossom bed, wearing white dress and smiling at me. Her black hair danced with the cool wind, glossy with the warm sunshine. I ran, embraced her and sniffed her. She smelled like cinnamon and mixture of other fragrant scents. I glanced up at her face, focusing at her dark brown orbs.

I hugged her tightly and cried. “Mom!”

“Hush, child.” She petted my head. “Endure it.”

There were different situation that happened in every dream I had. Sometimes we talked; sometimes we keep our silence and just felt the warm of each other, sometimes we strolled around the field with clasped hands. The only thing the same was the place. I must say it was such a lovely dream. If reality could simply be as wonderful as that…

But, the dreams had stopped for the reason of this new habit that made me wide awake till dawn. Waiting at my window, watching the colour of the sky from dark blue to a lighter shade, I waited for him to show, down the pavement. He would be there standing without fail.

I possibly first saw him a year ago when I could not sleep from the pain I was feeling in my body. He was standing in great posture, the black long coat he was wearing swayed with the calm passing wind. He must be in all black but he looked so cool and chic to me and his bright-blond-push-back was outstanding. His face could be identical to the manikins I was seeing when I was kid, skin was very pale but his whiteness was a beauty beyond compare, red lips were luscious like strawberry. I was not even sure if he was a human anymore because he was a definition of perfection. Although I could not see what was under his usual black sunglasses, I knew a pretty pair of eyes was underneath it.

I wanted to see my own reflection but I assumed that my physical features had no match to that person. Also, I knew a lot of changes had happened to me and those were not made myself any better than before. From the view of my limbs where bones were protruding in my skin, scar conquered nearly my entire body, my nails about to peel off my fingers, I had ignored the fact that my reddish brown hair grew so long. I might have an unhealthy condition but my skeletal structure developed, which let me to be so tall. I might have an advantage to fight my father now with my height but energy was lacking me to do so.

I heard some crackles outside my room that I did not have to think twice in diving on my bed and cover myself with my dusty blanket. I was unsure if the sound was made by my father but what I knew right now was to hide under the cover. I was always shuddering even simply thinking about the possible approaching monster.

When I could not here any noise outside, I lift myself from the bed and rushes coming over again near the window. The man is no longer down the sidewalk. At that time, I wondered if I could see him again.

 

My fascination to that person became a habit of staying near the window and anticipating him to show up. Although he was a devotee of black clothing, he was a fairy in my eyes, a crow that freely flew in the sky. I wondered if I would be able to have a chance to meet him personally. I wanted to draw him or write anything about him just to describe his flawlessness, so every time my father was ready to wreck me, the pain he gave would ease.

In one of the days of my seventeen years of age, he was standing at dawn even there was a pouring rain. He would simply shrug the drops off his black-crispy-ironed coat. That plain gesture drove me to excitement and made me want to squeal. It was as if he senses my emotion that he glanced up to my direction, straightly looking at my eyes. My heart jumped at the sudden moment and I hastily go down to hide myself away from the window. After a few minutes, crawling up the wall, I cautiously glimpsed to see if he was still there. I found no one standing on the pavement. He might have crept out when he detected me staring at him. Since then, I no longer saw the man that helps me survive the day.

From his disappearance, I tried sleeping like I always did before he entered my desolate life. However, each night was a dreamless slumber. I could not vision my mother like I usually have in my dreams. I wondered if it had to do with him. Without him, without the dreams, the only way I could be happy again was joining my mother in the afterlife. I could not wait to see her when I die.

 

***

 

I opened my eyes and saw a different surrounding, facing the white spotless ceiling. I sat up from lying in the comfy black leather sofa. It was appealing with its curved-style. The place was dark like my life, the room where I was painted all with black even the furniture. It was not dirty and wrecked which you could describe where I had been for five years. Vintage looking things are everywhere but they seemed expensive and they were neatly set on their spot. It was surreal that I wondered if I was dreaming. I stood to where I was seating so I could have a proper scan the place. I turned around and a tall person was standing near the black-curtained-window, the man down the pavement.

“How was your sleep?” He asked in his baritone voice. Even I closed my eyes, he sounded so handsome to my ears. I could not respond to him because I was overwhelmed of his presence. It was the first time I saw his eyes and it was my first time I saw a red coloured orbs, so crimson that as if it was blood formed into two spheres.

The silence was too long due to my appreciation with his outstanding profile. I snapped myself. My brows were furrowed when I gulped, analyzing a question that I could ask him. And, I had it prepared.

“How did I get here?” The man smirked at my question, unhurriedly walking closer to me. Hands clasped behind him, his posture was as fine as I expected.

I anticipated for his answer but another lengthy silence went through between us. One more question was formed inside my brain.

“Who are you?”

The slant on his lips became symmetrically curved.

“Cannot remember what happened last night?” He asked. We had an approximate distance to each other.

I shook my head. I tried thinking about it but it only made my head hurt. On the other hand, he clicked his tongue, yet he did not look angry that I could not remember a thing.

“I was sure I did not erase your memory, young boy.” He said. “But, if you really want to know, let me tell you one thing that will refresh you. The man with you in the unit next door, he's dead.”

 

The last words keep repeating inside my thoughts pulling me into the truth that occurred in the past night.

 

Blood kept on dropping from my head to the floor, my world was spinning but I tried to stay still. I had a faint of view of the figure in front of me. I shook my head to see things clearly and found the head of a broken wine bottle in my grip; blood was also dripping at the tip of its sharp end. I shifted my gaze at my father who was struggling on coming near me. He was holding his stomach and I saw the crimson liquid escaping from there.

 

That's right, I stabbed him. He was going to jump over me after he beaten me hard. I struggled so he could not do what he wanted but he saw the empty bottle of his alcohol on the floor and hit me with that on my head. He thought I'll stop, not thinking that he just gave me a weapon against him.

 

“You damn brat.” He hissed.

The terror and pain from my head mixed in taking over that I could not bear standing on the ground any longer. I wobbled then collapsed, bumping myself to the wall and to the floor. His hand clawed my shoulder so he could push my back flat the ground. He was almost going through his plan when he moved down with me, not until he suddenly lifted himself away.

My mind was starting to black out and could not see anything. I could only hear him scream like someone was attacking him.

 

 

 

“What happened next after his shout?” Cold sweat was draining all over me without my own self noticed. I was back to the present and the man was calmly staring at me while I was getting nervous at his front. “D-did you kill him?” I did not want to ask but it came out of my mouth uncontrollably.

He smirked once more and nodded to my question, his face showing the task of taking one's life was not difficult at all. I tried taking myself away from the fright that was buzzing in my entire body, by locking my eyes into something. And, my sight ended up falling to the sharp tooth peeking at his slant lips, watching the motion of his mouth as it talked.

“It was tough to ignore the scent of your blood spreading along the air I smelled so I followed its trail and found you, a familiar boy, about to die with a haemorrhage.” He shrugged then sat at the sofa I was sitting before. “That man was badly injured as well. You seemed to have a unresolvable fight when I found you two.”

 

I did not want to jump into a conclusion but it looked like he saved me when he saw the danger was approaching. Why would he do that? I also noticed my head was clean of blood as I touched it and my clothes were different from the dirty one I always had. It was replaced with a white polo shirt, black slacks and black leather shoes with white socks. I was well-dressed.

 

“His blood tasted so bitter but it was better than nothing.” He said.

I could not understand what he meant. He kept telling confusing things like following the trail of my blood's scent and the taste of my father's blood. I did not know why blood was always part of his statements. His eyes where the same colour with that, and his extraordinary features confirmed that he was not a normal human being, but that was all I know.

He glanced directly at my eyes and he was like amazed of the expression I was doing. Instead of getting uncomfortable of those red orbs watching me, I broke the short silence that gapped between us.

“You did not answer my question before.” I know to myself that I did not say that steadily and my hands were fidgety at my sides. What am I doing here? Who are you? Those were what I supposed to ask since they were my questions initially but they were replaced in my mind with. “Why did you taste my Dad's blood? ...What are you?”

He laughed loudly and I was sure that was due to my cracking voice and puzzled face. It was belittling and I wanted to hide myself to somewhere he would not locate forever. I did not know what I was asking too but I was clueless of things he was saying.

“Isn't that too obvious? Have the locked down made your mind unaware of my kind’s existence?” He asked as if he was playing with me.

Seriously, what was he? How did he know what I had gone through? Was that too readable? I blinked in panic and glanced at his face. I could not deny the fact that he looked so beautiful but there was something intimidating with him, must be his red eyes, white skin or his fangs. I could not say if he was a beast. He could not be one.

I shook my head and escaped his judging eyes.

I said. “I don't really know what you are, sorry.”

He laughed once again that echoed to the thick wall of that room. His laughter made me dizzy, like I wanted to return to unconsciousness.

“You really don't know?” I shook my head as a response.

He sighed, turning his back to proceed to the black painted bookshelf near the door. His long fingers drummed each book it passed till it stopped to a thick red one, a golden “V” carved at the side.

He smirked once he stared back at me and before tossing the book that I almost unable to catch. My heartbeat rose once more. I rotated the book so I could read the title in front.

“Encyclopedia?” I asked then glanced at him.

“Yes. Good thing you can read.” He said. “Now, I want you to find the term vampire. That's what I am. I'll be outside if you need me. And...” He faced the shelves to get another book from it. “This one is somewhat close or somewhat far from our description but worth to read. Mortals are a funny kind of creature after all.”

He tossed that book to me as well entitled “Dracula”.

 

When my eyes tried to look where he was standing and away from the reading material, he was no longer there.

 

I sat at the sofa and searched for the word he mentioned. “Vampire?” It was new to me. I skimmed the book until I found it.

 

vampire/ˈvampʌɪə/

noun

(in European folklore) a corpse supposed to leave its grave at night to drink the blood of the living by biting their necks with long pointed canine teeth.

 

My movements were slow after reading that section. He was undead? It was still vague to me so I switched from that book to the other one he gave me. I read the story and I did not know how long I was there but it felt like I was living for a purpose to finish that.

 

From my conclusion, vampires were a life-size mosquito living by it host's blood. They have a capability to kill their prey instantly, a huge possibility that my father died the same way. Was he full that he’s saving me for his later meal time?

I froze and thought that draining up to the last drop of my blood—was beyond the expectation my death. I did not wish to go out or him coming inside this room anymore. If that door opened, I knew what's next for me.

 

And I did not wait so long as the door clicked; the opening was killing the pulse of my heart.

 

I stood nervously, anticipating his presence.  The smirking man seemed to know that I had done his task which was too easy to figure out with my on pins and needles reaction.

“How was it?” He slipped his body in to the room, folding his arms in front of his chest.

“Are you hungry?” I knew I sound strange but I was unable to build a better reply to him after what I red.

He lazily shook his head, cherry-coloured lips pouting but still slant. “Nope. Although that drunken man didn’t taste good he made me full for a week.”

He talked about his identity in a more carefree manner that before, after he knew that I gained knowledge.

“A-are you… are you…” I gulped and stepped back. My balance was uneven that I need the armrest beside me to support my stability. “…going to eat me too?”

His guffawed was deafening that made me return from sitting on the sofa again. I hold the armrest with my dear life. His voice was evil, distinct from my father but the terror I felt did not change.

“Listen.” He began. “You’re not a wine for letting you live for seventeen years—just to guarantee myself that your blood will be sweeter as you aged.”

“Seventeen years?” That was my age. “What are you saying?”

“The parents that you’ve been with all your life were not your real parents.” He firmly explained. “I came from a long hibernation when I found and killed them in one rainy night. You were along them and should have the same ending, but your real mother begged me from her last breath not to devour you.”

While he was telling the story of my unfamiliar past, I pictured a happy couple, one of them holding a baby, when he attacked them. I could see how they struggled to survive but this person was stronger than them. The father died but the mother crawled near the ferocious creature for mercy to save her young.

What he revealed made sense that was why I did not look so alike in either the parents I grew up with.

However, it was difficult to accept.

 

I was choking while crying over the event he opened up. He sat beside me, in which I avoided. I did not want to be near to the murderer of my first and second parents in one place. I stood up, going to the middle of the room.

He continued. “I honestly regret taking your parents away from you so I hunted a young couple to replace them. I thought you’ll be in good hands but your blood smeared violently in the air I breathe.”

“After telling these things to me, do you think it helps me?” I forced myself to ask even I was sobbing. “Do you think it’ll make a lot different from my already miserable life? What’s the whole point? I—”

I was unaware of the subsequence as my world twisted. All I could only see was white.

 

 

 

I was awakened by the bright light above me. It was actually 3-round-bulbs in one metal plate. They were blocked by a pale face, whose beaming at the view of my blinking eyes.

“Hi.” He cheerfully greeted, helping me to sit up from where I was resting. My parents' murderer was just behind him and leaning his back against the wall. I was uncomfortable to looked at him after his revelation. “My friend here said you passed out.”

It was inappropriate not to response to such enthusiastic doctor. So even I was recovering from the incident gestured my head and open my mouth to say.

“Y-Yes.” In time of my politeness to the latter, my stomach grumbled.

The jolly doctor blocked his mouth with his gloved hand as he chuckled at me, his dimple showing on his left cheek.

“I guess to know the problem.” He pulled something out of his white gown and it was wrapped in a brown wrapper. “Here. You need it.”

Reluctantly accepting his gift, I tore the wrapper and a chocolate bar appeared to me. It was so mouth-watering in my eyes that I did not ask for a signal to consume the whole thing. My weakness might have stubbornly taken over my control that I could not guise. The doctor resumed his giggle while he glanced at the man behind him. That was when I simply noticed they shared the same snow like skin tone.

 

I let the doctor and the vampire talked inside the room by themselves as I was waiting at the bench outside. I could hear their conversion from my end but I did not allow myself to be obvious with my eavesdropping.

“Why would you babysit a food? That was bizarre of you, my friend.” The doctor commented.

“I did not intend this stuff to happen.” He replied.

“Really?” The doctor sounded doubtful of my company. “Well, clean this up before the committee questioned you.”

The doctor’s words verified he was one of his kinds. I could not help but to glimpse at the small opening of the door and stunned when I met eyes with them. I went back looking the blank space of the wall in front of me instead.

“You better go, Mr. Li.” I heard the doctor said faintly since one of them closed the door. “If you choose to keep him for a while, don’t forget to feed him.”

The talked was finished since the man went out of the room as well. He was wearing his usual shade. I did not know if it was still the right time of the day to wear that.

“Let’s go.” He quietly said. I had no choice but to follow along.

 

We walked the street that I was ignorant with. For the first time in being prisoned in five years, I was able to see different faces other than my non-biological father. It was nostalgic to see the neon lights, cheery laughter from people and buzzling sounds everywhere. I did not realize how my lips stretched so wide at the ambiance, not until a leather gloved hand hold mine and snapped me to reality.

“I set my plans for you that you will hear later on. For now, we have heaps to do within this night.” He said while I just remained silent.

We entered a mall then went straightly to the bookstore. He picked up a bunch of books that kept me thinking he was not satisfied with what he had in his shelf that I’d seen at his house earlier.  He put them in the cart he was pushing along us.

“What does a seventeen-year-old read these days?” He murmured as if the seventeen-year-old he was referring to was not beside him. Wait, the books were for me?

“Are you smart?” I was stiff but I nodded.

His face was smug and looked at me with criticism. He threw more in the trolley before we headed to the counter and swiped his black card which came from the leather wallet in his pocket.

 

The next stop was clothes. Calling the saleslady, he pointed from one end to another in a line of white long sleeves, then on the black blazer, then on the black slacks. He clawed neatly-plastic-packed underwear and undershirts, maybe a dozen of them, then gave it to the woman. Lastly, he placed his black card on top of the mountain of garments.

“On his size please.” He said shortly.

I was unsure what this man did for a living, that he bought almost the entire department store for a mere human like me. I tried to catch with his speed and I did not know where next to go.

“Mr. Li.” Exhausted, I called him with the name the doctor said hours ago from this shopping.

He paused, only to comment. “Don’t call me with the name I had from the era of Han Dynasty.” And, he continued walking forward. If I only had a will to stop there and I would not chase after him; but, my stupidity pulled me to go on.

We ended up in a restaurant, so flashy and I believed I had never been in such a place. We sat in the corner while I scanned the area, finding no souls with us. Instantly, the waitress offered us the menu that none of the names of their food rang a bell to me.

“What would you like to eat?” He asked me.

I did not talk. Other than my hatred for him, I was taken aback by all of what we were doing inside this mall.

Instead, he spoke for me. “Wagyu Beef Ribeye Steak, well done. Or if you don’t have that, this La terre menu please. Do you have Tieguanyin tea? And for dessert, Biscuit soufflé, crus de chocolat. That’s all for him.”

The presentable waitress nodded. “What about you, sir?”

“Espresso will do.” The woman repeated his order on her list before leaving.

Once that lady was gone, I was not ready to speak with him yet, but I was itching to ask him. I tried to ask like I was almost mouthing the words. “How’d you know all of those? And, you drink coffee?”

“Of course.” He smirked. He heard it after all. “There are times that it’s necessary for me to pretend like you guys, although your foods are dull to my tongue.” Quickly, the waitress brought the meal in front of us. He held his cup and gestured. “Dig in.”

I was hesitant to feed with the dine food, because my situation was comparable to an eating prey that was watched by his predator. But, it was such a waste to ignore this expensive feast. It was possible that this will be my final day so I bit by bit moved my hands to the utensils and lifted them. The man's lips across me curved upward to my action.

 

After the dinner, the two of us were alone in the vicinity. I felt the air was turning serious again and the man across me put his hand together like praying, nuzzling his nose at the tip of his fingers.

“I had proposal for you.” He started. “I will let you live normally by means of giving you a good education and have you find a decent job after graduation. I will erase your memory of your dark past so you will truly refresh anew. In a condition of…”

I know it would not be a piece of cake to have that promising future.

“…be my servant as that progresses. Will you agree?”

I scoffed. “Why won’t you just hire someone and kill me instead? That will be easier for you than supporting me to stand again.”

“No.” Smiling, he rebutted. “It will be easier for me to have you work under my umbrella than anybody else. Why? It was uncertain that I’ll let a human stranger live with a little space between us. But, with you, it was proven that I can endure it. And, why are you selling yourself to death? Don’t you really have the will to live anymore?”

I could not speak since he shot me bull’s-eye there.

He asked once more. “Will you agree to my terms? Uh… what’s your name by the way?”

 

If I was going to tell him my name, which meant that I would acknowledge his appeal. Was that what he really wanted, to serve him? And, I would achieve those perks? I would have an opportunity to reset my life?

 

“Chanyeol.” I said at last.

“Oh hello, dear. You can call me Kris.”

“M-master Kris?”

He laughed and ruffled my hair with his bigger hand. “Take the master out of it.”

This person, who killed my real parents, killed my insane father, a horrifying monster and a beautiful creature at the same time. He would be my master for days, months, and years to come. His eyes were about my level and our heights were almost similar.

I was not sure of myself—but I was going to skate on a thin ice in trusting him.

 

***

 

We were back to the old-abandoned-building, I myself, could not believe Kris’ luxurious unit was residing beside us. We encountered authorities investigating the unit I used to live with my adoptive father. Kris showed least care to their business, even though he was the main reason for the crime there to occur. He walked forward to his placed guiltlessly while I tailed him. The police seemed not to notice us that kept me wondering. He gripped my hand and pulled me inside his place with him.

“Ignore them.” He said.

 

He took his coat off, hanging it in the hanger while I closed the door behind him. He removed his shades as well, the same time he initiated his instructions to what my role would be.

“Every night, except for today, you won't see me lingering here. I'll always be outside doing some jobs and just going to be here at morning till dusk, sleeping. So it's gonna be seldom for you and me to meet in a daily basis. Now, young man, you can read the books I bought for you and prepare for the General Education Development test. Whatever the result will be, you'll be enrolled to a school nearby. You have three months to do so. And while I get you ready, don't forget to keep the house tidy. My room is that way. Clean it while I'm out.”

I tried storing his command inside my mind. Telling some more, he rummages the shopping bags and pulled the one he was looking for among them.

“This is a mobile phone.” He said, showing a box with a cover of a glowing device that was very unusual to me. “It's our communication if we're distant from each other. The manual is inside on how to use it.” He passed the box to me. “By the way, you cannot get out of this house without my permission. I'm a busy person but I won't allow you to go alone by yourself, understood?” I answered him a nod. “Good, have a bath, rest well and tomorrow is your first day of job.”

“Yes.” I picked up the shopping bags to take them to my room.

But, I remembered he did not mention I had one. I looked where he was standing before but my new master disappeared. I was confused if he was in his room or he went out.

 

While I was uncertain of his whereabouts, I roamed his unit to get accustomed of my work area. I learned it was bigger than what I used to have with my evil father. So big and marvellous, I could not stop wondering how this unit existed in our same building.

Maintaining the area spotless and well-arranged was the main point of my duty. In terms of cleaning, it was ambiguous if I could pass his standards. The last time I cleaned was in grade school in our classroom. I was trying to remember what we were also doing in practical arts subject. There something from it that could help me for this job. And, it was an advantage I do not require to cook for him.

The unseen problem was—taking back what I said that this place was antique—his appliances were state-of-the-art that I was clueless how they were functioning.

To be safe from the destruction of Master’s gadgets, I decided not to touch them and return to the couch, falling into slumber.

 

As I travelled my dreamland, I never saw a nightmare coming to haunt me. My dad was alive. Soundlessly, he entered my master's unit and headed to where I was sleeping. I saw myself peacefully resting, my body curled on the sofa. My eyes opened a little but I did not move. I could view him grinning like a maniac before both of his grasps locked on my neck and strangled me.

My eyes opened widely and there, I fully saw his dreadful-darkened-face, like a demon, disturbing and got me trembled crazily. He stunk with blood and he seemed rotting.

I could not bear this dream anymore. I wanted to be awake but he squeezed my neck more and I was choking.

He said. “You could not get away that easy, Sally.

 

Sally. Sally. Sally. My adoptive mother's name kept on echoing inside my brain.

 

 

I was soaked with my own perspiration as I finally freed from that nightmare. My chest was heaving and my limbs were shaking. I was like having a fever due to that. I wondered if I needed to anticipate his visit in my dreams in the future. I hope this would be the last time.

To get away from that, I focused on my pending issue from last night instead.

 

I did not want to cause any trouble but I still did. Lucky that my handsome Master did not scold me for messing up his schedule, staying awake in the morning only to teach me how his appliances worked. Once I knew how to control them, I operated them myself. From his refrigerator, washing machine, some things in the bathroom and the kitchen, almost everything was touchscreen. If not, you needed to use a zapper.

Time upgraded these entities so much that I was amazed they were the reality I was facing. The last time I watched the television, which too different from the wide one in front of me, people were still planning for this object to become like this. Now, the five years I was imprisoned was like a century past with the transformation of technology. Because I was living in simplicity before the hellish period of my life, it could also be the reason I looked so dumb at this moment.

 

I awarded myself a break since the chores was partially over. I entered the place he called the “Entertainment Center”, a mini-theater-like part of his unit. I guessed he would not mind if I turned the TV on and watched a little.

News flashes to the screen and timely, it was about a mysterious attack happened beside this place. My former house. They found the corpse of Mr. Park, my father, who could be compared to a wither plant. He was dead pale and seemed blood was not running through his veins. He did not have any wound other than the stab at his stomach that I made to him. The announcer could basically describe but there was no visual they could show up.

My sweat was trickling from my temple, down to the side of my face. My throat was dry  and my hands, resting on my lap, shuddered. I was afraid they would mention he had a son and he was missing. That child would be claimed as the prime suspect for this murder.

I was waiting for the news reporter to tell that but I did not hear anything about me. All they kept on saying was his death was an enigma and huge challenge for the authorities to solve.

The screen suddenly shut down as the news shifted to a new topic. I did not sense him sitting down beside me only when I saw his reflection with me on the blank screen. This was the first time I had seen him not wearing his coat and strict attire although he was still wearing black. He was in his pajamas.

“You're simply stressing yourself, kid.” Long legs crossed together, he put the remote down the coffee table. “They will never talk about the boy who lived with that man. Because, I cleared even the little things out that will track you down.”

I stayed silent while he was making eye-contacts with me sternly. The intense gaze only disconnected when he yawned and left me in the room.

“Start reading your books if you're done with your errands for the day,” His voice muffled behind the door.

This place looked so much better than what I previously had, but the tight air trailed me here.

 

He must be too bothered of my actions that we did not last long, and we moved to another place. This time, to a decent condominium...

 

 

In the same style of interior to his new unit, my days of service there passed smoothly. We built a professional relationship between an employer and an employee, no harm and our deal was in proximity to be true.

 

 

 

In a blink of an eye, 3 months’ time ran so fast and I met the outside world again. The day of the G.E.D. Exam was here to happen. Sun shone too bright for my eyes that was used to darkness. It was strange to see my master in a broad daylight. The weather was warm but he was fully covered of black cloth and protected by his umbrella against the sun. I was after him as he guided me to the venue of my test. At the time I was finished, he was standing at the gate and waiting for my exit.

It had been long since we walked side by side like this; due to his hectic lifestyle we seldom saw each other in the house. I felt so special that he was here with me—for me. History was repeated as our hands were clasped together, and as if I was a kid that needed his guidance. He must had seriously pitied and regretted my bitter foregoing.

“How was your assessment?” Leading the path, he asked in the middle of our silent. I cocked my head because I was surprised of his sudden question.

“Good.” That was the only thing I could say.

“Did you do what I asked you to write as your last name?” The red traffic light glowed and we stopped walking.

“Yes.” I replied.

He asked me to write his current last name on the test papers. Wu would be the name I was going to use from now on, making us a family in documents. Blood rushed up to my cheeks thinking we would act as relative.

The light changed to green, resuming us to go forward.

“If you passed that, you'll be in a higher ladder of education.” He said. “What do you want to take up as a university student, young boy?”

“I'm... still thinking about that.” I knew he was going to be disappointed that I did not make up my mind yet.

“You need to hurry up.”

He took me to a sushi restaurant for dinner that night.

 

***

 

I still could not believe. I made it. I might be seventeen, but G.E.D. test resulted that I could match the learning curve of the university students. Passing the entrance exam of a nearby University was not heck of a big deal. I chose architecture for my course. My happiness was doubled for not letting Master Kris' expectation down to me.

 

My first day of school became so awkward. The black movement my master enforced for both of us did not suit this new surroundings. I looked very weird, forcing me to visit the mall and buy colourful clothes with the allowance my vampire boss gave me.

I wanted to fit in with everyone and it was not difficult to meet people to befriend with. Being together along them was fun, although I could only join them inside the school premises.

There were times they invited me hanging out with them off from the University. However, I always refused them.

 

“Even just once, can't you really go with us?” One of my friends asked. Our group walked our way to the gate under the orange sky.

I really like to say yes to their offer, seeing all of them in puppy eyes to plead me. But, a baritone voice spoke ahead of me.

“Chanyeol.” My master called, wearing a brown contact lens, and staring at us sharply.

I looked at my friends who all showed an awing expression. I did not know what was with their faces, but I thought of it again and remembered myself when I first saw him. I had no difference with their adoration to that vampire.

“I know you resemble that Mr. Wu.” My classmate from my side whispered. “But… are you sure he was your father?”

“He looks too young.” Another classmate added on the same volume of voice.

Before I could react, a long arm hooked on my shoulder. It was owned by smirking master, who had a face so near to mind. We could bump noses.

“I took care of my skin pretty well while my son grew so fast.” His explanation made my eyes blinked in dumbfounded. “I noticed his face is getting older because of the stress and—peer pressure?”

My friends were taken aback and my master's word seemed to hit them with blame. Anxiety attacked them and they bid their farewell in a hurried manner. I was not happy of the way he got rid of them.

“Satisfied?” My tone raised and walked away from him. He was quick to hold my wrist and stopped me. Facing him once more, I glared at him.

“Why are you staring at me that way?” He was chuckling but a grunt was at the end of it. “Let me remind you that you're here to build a base for your successful future, most importantly, your career. Making friends was not a part of what we'd agreed on.”

I rudely shoved his gripping hand off of me. “Good relationship was one of the factors for me to succeed. I thought you would get that.”

Wu Chanyeol, that's not the point.” He firmly said. “Remember you're in the middle of two worlds right now. You accepted to be my servant so you should follow all my orders.  You don't know how dangerous for me and for you to let these mere mortals interact with you. Listen to me before it's too late.”

The storm was finally over. I was unaware of how the skies' colour converted from tangerine to purple. He walked ahead of me and I kept standing from my spot. When he was aware that I did not follow, he turned back and as if waiting for me to move.

I deeply sighed; then loosely went along him, till we match the pace of each other's steps. He d the air before he could reach my hand and hold me. We did not attempt to open a conversation after our argument. It was the first time we had this kind of misunderstanding.

As we travelled our way home, I could not take the awkwardness that was why I spoke out.

“My last name was Park.” I blurted out—our environment became dead for the second time.

 

Out of the blue, he released a loud laughter. It was insulting and I guessed he read my face so he shut himself up.

 

“Not anymore, kid. You're using my name now.”

I inhaled violently to what he said. “I could never have a father who almost looks having the same age with me.”

“Ha. I might appear youthful but I lived for a thousand year now.” It took 2 minutes for him to say the instalment of his words. “I did not expect sending you to school will get you more stubborn.”

 

You need to rely on me and obey my rules while you're under my care... Chanyeol.

 

 

 

With a year that passed, new adjustments had to happen due to the unexpected situation my master had. One raining day, he arrived home with injuries. He wanted to keep the cause for it to himself, yet I was able to persuade him about the truth. He spilled out that he crossed path with a group of slayers and they clashed. They were sure skilled to incur pain at a thousand year vampire like him. They did not trace our location but it was better to be safe so he decided to migrate and of course, including me.

 

From Seoul, we moved to Hong Kong and resumed our life there. I transferred to a local University while he was busier than ever before when we got to that country. To be able to harmonize my existence there, I studied Cantonese and Mandarin by myself. Those were his original language and he was not with me to learn them. It was upsetting.

He did not have time that he was letting me to come and go to school alone. I felt my significance to him was diminishing. He must be too occupied because this was near to where he came from.

He mentioned to me that he was from Guangzhou. He must have some relatives here and he must be meeting them.

I suddenly became jealous.

I was not used to this insufficient attention from him. Although he still did not give me my own room and I kept on resting on the couch, being isolated like this was his most cruel treatment to me.

One morning, thinking he could be sleeping in his room, I entered there discreetly. The blinding darkness was nothing to me. I touched the bed and discovered how cold it was, meaning he did not rest there at all. If I opened the black-thick-curtains widely, there will be no one to turn into ashes there.

The mattress was soft, so does the black-silk-layered-covers. It was inviting and I did not think somebody will mind me sleeping there. In a snail pace, I crawled forward till I reached the headboard. I patted the pillow and laid my head. I smelled his natural musk send. I did not realize that I fell to unconsciousness, must have been because it was so nice to sleep on a real bed.

 

The dream I had was as if paralytic, my body was asleep but my mind was awake. I heard the door opened and a black figure came close to me. The air I breathed was suddenly polluted by a foul smell, was more like rust or blood. That person slowly put his hands around my neck. I gasped but I did not move.

My eyes opened a bit and saw those familiar grinning lips again. He was my rotting father.

 

He said. “Sally.”

 

I wanted to get away but I couldn't. I really couldn't move. I should have expected that this was where my slumber always ended up, yet I still let it happened.

If someone could only save me from this nightmare…

Why you did not tell me about this?

There was a loud impact of flesh when Master entered into my dream. He punched my already corpse father who collapsed somewhere down the floor.

Chanyeol?” He sat beside my petrified body. I could not respond so he lifted my head, placing my upper part to his arms. “Chanyeol wake up.” With one hand, he cupped my cheek while shaking me to bring my conscious back—and I did.

 

Tears were released with both my eyes as soon as I peeled it open. He was not carrying me to his arms but he was lying beside me. His face was serious but I could see the worry in his eyes as he stared at me. I wonder if he had the ability to penetrate my dream, if he really did that.

We were drowning in the depths of our silent and stayed statue, only broke out when he lifted himself aided by his elbows. His brows furrowed that gave me chills. It felt like he was going to scold me.

This was his bed. It could be the reason his expression was irritated.

Wiping the tears away from my face, I was about to open my mouth to explain why I was resting here. But, he was the first to speak out.

“Since when are you having those kinds of dreams, Chanyeol?” He asked softly. My lips formed in a thin-straight-line. “If I did not travel what's within your mind, you would have ended up stranded there. Do you want that? Why can't you answer me?”

“I'm sorry.” I blushed in shame and my voice cracked with that simple reply.

“Are you having these nightmares from the start?” I nodded and he released a deep breath. He must be disappointed. “You need to sleep here with me from now on. I'll enroll you to the night class so we would have the same interval. Do you understand that?” I was alarmed and nodded.

Flabbergasted, I had his thumb brushing the residue of my tears off my face. It was so gentle.

“Damn, I thought I could leave you behind.” I could sense how upset he was with his voice. I felt so guilty but thankful for this moment.

I could not say directly that I was longing for him. After learning he was concerned with me, my loneliness faded away.

 

 

 

Come hell or high water, master's engagement was unstoppable. There were rest we could be together. There were that we could not.

I was lacked of courage to sleep if he was not with me. My father might pop up in my dreams and brought me out of my body and die. Alternatively of falling to slumber, I occupied myself with the remaining house works and studying my lessons. I thought this would be the best way to prevent my drowsiness, but it was dragging me more because I pushed myself too much.

 

I presumed that I just took a break, sitting the sofa; however, I was lying on his bed the next time I opened my eyes. He must have carried me there and his presence stayed along me, finding myself inside his encircled arms around me, face pressed to his chest. I never remember him doing this but it riddled me how I ended up in the hospital in one of the moments of our first face-to-face encounter.

His temperature might be as cold as ice but I wanted to be stay wrapped by his limbs and sniffing his intoxicating and manly musk scent. I felt safe. He could be the reason why the nightmare did not come out. In fact, this was probably the first time I had a relaxing rest after many years of stressing life.

“Why are you smiling?” He muttered and I thought he was sleep-talking, but glancing up, his eyes were wide open.

He instinctually let go of me and we moved apart from each other like strangers. My blood was rushing up my face and I could not formulate an answer. Both of us sitting up, I stared at his eyes that seemed waiting for me to speak.

“I… don’t know.” I honestly said since I could not really think of an explanation.

He smirked and cupped my chin with his fingers in order to make my face move closer to his. My heart was beating abnormally. I did not mean but my eyes fall to gaze at his lips, so red and gorgeously small.

“Listen.” A bit trembling, I snapped from focusing my eyes to his lips as soon as he spoke another word. “I would like you to me in an upcoming gala night this Sunday. Wear one of those suits I bought for you and act like me so my clan won’t recognize you as a human. Got it?”

Why would he suddenly take his servant and even bother to allow me meeting his family? I was in doubt but I nodded.

“Good.” He ruffled my hair. It had been his habit to do that whenever I agreed to him, like I was his pet dog. He got up from the bed to get some clothes and I knew he would be off to somewhere again.

I slumped my head down the pillow while watching him leave. Before he closed the door, our eyes met. He was smiling brightly at me.

“Can I stop you from leaving?” I meant to say that, loud enough for him to receive at his end. But, he still progressed to go off.

 

Why I feel so hurt? He must really have no care for his mere-human-servant. Yet, it was confusing that he was going to bring me to some party. Hot and Cold. On the second thought, glad he was taking me out, I was so bored. I should get up from here too before I dozed again.

 

***

 

People around me were one in colour. It is as if I was in the center of a black parade, including me, who was wearing a handsome tuxedo. I might look good right now if this black scarf was not covering half of my face.

For protection, that was what my vampire master said.

Speaking of him; he was too far from my spot, no free space at any of his side, because group of girls bombarded him—giggling. I was not surprized he was popular to his fellows.

He noticed I was staring but he ignored me shortly and entertained those girls. What’s wrong with him? Did he just bring me here to show me how he flirted with them? Well, I was not interested.

I observed the rest of the crowd, who were talking and holding a wine glass full of red liquid. Everyone looked so perfect and could be compared to the celebrities or models. The drinks were not wine for sure. The people were sophisticated but creepy at the same time. I did not belong here.

I was boiling so I needed to change my view to something else, did not predict I had almost no gap with the man who was now in front of me.

I admitted the hall was too big, but it was questionable ending up into this position with this anonymous person. Our foreheads were pressed together.

“H-Hi.” He greeted.

He was taller than me—and must be taller than my boss. His lips spread wide and his pearly white teeth were dazzling. His nose bumped to my scarf-covered one. I looked at him in the eyes and they were smoky, his orbs were same with the rest. A cow seemed to his black hair but overall, he was attractive.

“Everyday, this place was never emptied with gathering. But, why I haven’t seen you before. And oh, your scent is unique. By the way, my name is…” He whispered his name to my ear like it was a secret you would reveal to the whole world. I felt Goosebumps and more when he pulled my scarf a little to sniff at my neck.

Everyone in the crowd seemed disturbed all of a sudden.

Human.” Horror crawled to my bones when the entire mass mentioned my kind at the same time. Their senses were undeniably strong and it was not great at all. I hurriedly raised the cloth up to my face, then they simply disregard the abrupt air and resume with the gathering.

My pulse rushed while the man, who caused it all, only laughed at the short commotion. That was not funny.

“Sorry about that.” He apologized which could purely heard by the two of us. “I wonder why such being like you is here. But…” He put his index finger in the middle of my lips. “Let’s talk alone somewhere more harmless, you cute lamb.” Did he just call me what?

He intertwined his hand on mine and we moved away.

 

In the garden of that Vampire Mansion, we stopped there, gazing the red blooming flowers, stars shining upon them.

“The roses are pretty, right?” Breaking the silence, Mr. Kim spoke out of the blue. “Better not to touch them because of their thorns, if you don’t want to smear your sweet blood in the air.”

I glared at him because he made my day more upsetting if it was not due to his action earlier. He snorted at my expression as he approached me. But, I stepped farther from him.

Pouting, he slanted his lips and his brow rose. “What’s with the face? I didn’t do it on purpose, I swear.”

“Seriously, you almost exposed my identity to your folks.” I could not control my voice that it got higher. “What are we doing here? So you could solely devour me?”

“No.” He scoffed. “For the reason that you could loosely answer my parked question to you, why are you wondering inside our territory?”

“It’s because I was working for one of you and he brought me here with him.” I calmly answered. He was playful but I guessed he would not cause me any harm.

His eyes became tiny in curiosity. “For what reason?” I shrugged at his follow-up question and he scoffed.

“Where is this person?”

“He was just around but he isolated me.” I was raining with interrogations from him, but I lightly response.

“What? Is he serving you for feast?”

He had a point there since Master appeared that he was sick and tired of me currently, a painful truth that I did not bother to reply. I gasped as I felt his hand cupped my face and lifted it.

“What a poor angel.” One of his long fingers reached the tip of my scarf, pulling it down again. “You don’t deserve to be treated like this. You’re an innocent piece of existence.”

“You’re wrong.” I smirked and shoved his hand off of me. “I was stained a long time ago.”

“By him?” I shook my head.

“You don’t need to know. It’s a long story.” My eyes rolled.

I could see the shock on his face but it turned to appeal him more. His way of looking at me made me feel uneasy and zoom a plan to finish this conversation with him immediately. It was unconfirmed that my master really wish to get rid of me.

I was still hoping Kris was looking for me.

Before I could bid farewell to this guy, Mr. Kim did not allow for me to do so.

“Why would you let your master bring you here anyway? Do you want to be one of us? If you want, I could do that for you, so you’ll be well protected.”

“I—don’t need that.” I refused. I turned around and I was about to walked away, yet he stopped me with his words.

“To tell you frankly, your scent struck me. Do you know why?” My mind was blank. “The blood running through your veins is high class. It’s not because of the blood type, but your line was difficult to collect.”

“What?” It seemed to be a joke to me, thinking that my real family was a royalty. Then, where’s our kingdom? Why am I within a rag living? Kris…

“Our Slayers’ blood was the rarest we could drink. It’s self-explanatory that they’re skilled to fight against us; that’s why. But there’s this legendary pure blood man, he killed a pair and consumed them, and why a party is going on here right now. He recently returned home.”

My heart thumped so loud and slow. I was nervous with the clues his giving—they matched with the person I know. I didn’t want to hear my prediction was correct. I did not want to know.

“You know what.” I startled as my focus go back with Mr. Kim. “Your scent doesn’t have a difference with him.” It was like a hit of an arrow. “By any chance, does Wu Yi Fan ring a bell to you?” I was relief but that was instantly because… “Oh, he changed his name to Kris Wu. He was a guy with many names.” And, that was it.

The member of the beast continued speaking while he was unaware my world was twisting around from his revelation.

“Only few people can distinguish the Slayer’s blood. Including him, the committee also has that ability.”

“So you’re one of them because you notice me?” Although standing idly, I felt exhausted. If he kept on talking, I was not certain that I could bear to listen without fainting. “Why do you need to tell all this things? You and I barely know each other?”

He smirked, his face doubled to my vision. “You obviously lack of the traits of a real hunter, dear. You’re easy to kill because of that and it was regrettable, a cute and gentle creature like you, will simply get murdered. I’m not telling you this stuff to let you know what your price in the market is. I’m not here to devour you. I’m here for aid. If you’re left out now, no one’s going to take care of you.”

“I don’t need a babysitter.” Reaching my limit, I loosed my balance. If he did not save me from my near fall, I could have kissed the stone flooring.

“Sorry.” I chuckled at my failure. “This occasion doesn’t fit me.”

I had no choice but to rest my head on his shoulder. This was an advantage to shut him up as well.

“I can carry you to my bed to recharge you a little.” He offered.

“No.” I lifted myself off of him, straightening up, as I shook my head. “It’s maybe due to my thirst or hunger that I’m feeling this way.”

“You sure?” He asked. “I’ll get you something to drink—not blood—a juice for mortals of course.”

“Thank you.”

“But, what about you? I cannot leave you behind.” I looked at him and beamed. He was not a bad vampire from what he was showing me.

“I-I’ll be fine. I’ll sit on a bench while waiting for you.” I guaranteed him.

“Okay.” He then went off while I began searching for some place to sit.

 

I walked for a minute or two while using the tree to support my posture. On my path, I recalled the chat I had with Mr. Kim, who told me that I belonged to the bloodline of slayers; they got exterminated by the person I provided my loyalty and service. He fooled me, faking what he wanted me to believe in. My legs wobbled, I closed my eyes once and tears fall from them. If I keep thinking about the truth, I did not know how long I would last before I broke down.

 

It was fortunate or misfortunate to find a bench beside a post light; however, there were couple who was already there sitting. Well, they were in their own world of romance. Before they would notice someone was witnessing their lip-locked, I decided to head forward to find another spot to sit it, did not anticipate the attack I would get as soon as I turned my back.

This time, my body fell on the hard floor. I clenched my teeth in ache.  I tried to lied on my back and see the one who pinned me down the ground. Different from the terrorizing vampire, it was a girl who looked close with my age in a pastel colour of clothing. She was gritting her sharp teeth at me, which full of blood. She was one of the pair I presumed as a couple. I looked up at the bench and saw the lifeless male draining blood from his neck.

With this ill-mannered vampire, I was roughly losing my life. She was on her plan of assaulting if an unknown presence did not push her off from me. She was screeching with her cry as she was slammed on the trunk of the tree. The shadow of my saviour approached the girl.

“What a troublesome new born.” He was clicking his tongue.

Getting all her hair in one hand, she banged her head on the tree. She violently protested but later in peace as her heart was taken out of her—her organ and her own self turned into ashes shortly.

Kris faced me after slaughtering his fellow at my front. His seriousness was the most dreadful version I had seen on him, face was dark and murderous. I was petrified while sitting on the floor. I could not move from what I had watched.

It must be a different way, but this could be similar of how he mercilessly killed my parents, who were part of the mortal enemies for their kind. They found my bloodline delicious because it was the extract of their effort of exterminating a skilled human. I was truthfully a fool to trust him.

 

“What are you doing here? This is not a right place and the right time to stroll, Chanyeol. Didn’t I say to wait for me at the center?”  He was angry but he was not worth a response from me.

Struggling, I stood from the floor and glared at him. I kept my silence while he seemed to get annoyed of my behaviour.

“W-what’s wrong with you?” He asked.

I knew I looked odd in his eyes but I only care less. I moved opposite from him and I expected he would stop me by the wrist.

But ahead of that, I bravely said. “Don’t you dare touch me you, evil monster.”

I simply made him smirk. I should have not met him. I should have not existed. What a life I have now? It was a nightmare inside a nightmare. There was no way out.

The only thing I was able to do was cry.

“Hey.” I could not forbid his cold hand to touch my face. He wiped my tears with his thumb like comforting. He was suddenly soft but I discovered that was unreal.

Realizing that, I pushed his hands away, still they firmly stuck touching me.

“Don’t t—” He hushed me that I could not go on of rejecting him.

“What’s happening with you? Please tell me baby.”

Don’t call me baby.” I shouted; my voice breaking. “You killed my parents.”

“But, you knew that already.”

“Not the true way or reason of killing them.” The arguments were shut. “I should have seen the flaws of your story of their death. It was fabricated.  And, why did you keep me? To be your trophy against all the slayers?”

“Who told you that?”

“It was not for you to know.”

He was frustrated in the situation as well. Exhaling deeply, he held both my arms so our face was as close as he gets. His cold breath brushes on my warm one. His deceitful face was too near.

“You did not hear my side, Chanyeol.” He seemed begging me to believe him. But, I was still in doubt. “Do you think from the two years we’ve been together I was that laidback and unreliable? I gave everything to you, education and luxury.” He sighed once more. “Alright, if you really want to know the truth, your parents were the best hunter of their generation. Slaying the entire population in my clan, I was the only one left because of my hibernation. When I discovered what they’ve done, I sought revenge to them. I tracked them down, found your house and the night of my attack, the couple were unaware they’ll lose their life in their slumber.”

I did not want to listen any longer to the terrible story of our clans’ war, my eyes pouring tears again. Kris did not get tired wiping it while his statement progressed.

“I want your parents to feel what the feeling of losing everything was. But…”

“What?” I demanded.

“There was something with you that I couldn’t put you to the sword.” He was bewildered of his own self.

“What?”

“I don’t know.” He gave up. “The rest of history that I told you initially was true.”

I scoffed, sniffed as my nose was getting runny. I was still not satisfied and hate him even he told me the things he thought enough. I guessed we should stop being together because nothing would work out with us anymore.

“I’m sorry if that’s what you want to hear from me.” In the midst of our quite background, he opened the talk again. “We gathered here every day—”

“Because you’re a celebrity in this vampire world, is that correct?” I was dismayed when he shook his head.

“Who is this person keep telling you that? I seldom showed at home because the slayer trailed me in this country too. On the day we arrived, we always assembled together to plot a war against our hunters.”

“I understand if you snubbed me the whole time for this meeting. The giggling and your fun seemed part of it, did I hit the jackpot?”

“Of course not.”

He was going to tell me more but the points of the events were unbelievable.

 

There was a sudden explosion at our side and in panic, we separated. The man I was with took Kris with him and they ran away, leaving me alone. In a few seconds, when the people who attacked us sensed that I was the only one left, they surrounded me. They were black armoured mobs, pointing their large guns at me. It had been half a minute as they put their gun down.

“A human.” A female was revealed from the mask. She was pale but not like vampires, stern but the first person in their group to come forward to me. “Boy, what’s your name?”

I asked myself if I would put a last name or not. I ended up saying. “Chanyeol.”

“You seemed a foreigner of this country.” A huge bulky man said. “If we could please invite you to our headquarters, we would be so grateful.”

I had no option but to go. They escorted me to their van and took off.

 

***

 

We arrived at the headquarters, all glass and symbol of technology. My eyes were burning in too much light as we travelled the white corridors and go to one of the conference room. The only female, I assumed their leader, was the only one left for me. We sat across each other and started her pages and pages of questions that I needed to answer. Although I was mad with Kris, I did not turn him to this people. I stated I was an exchange student that basically passing by there for some research at school. The innocent face Mr. Kim described as me was convenient since they easily believe my testimony. I did not how long I spent there to complete this task.

After the interrogation, she introduced themselves as the World’s Bureau of Supernatural Abilities, main sector of vampire hunters. She told me their monitoring the Notorious Wu Yi Fan, the sole pure blood immortal remaining for the Li Clan. He changed his name from Li Jiaheng, Kevin Li, Ken Li, Wu Fan, Wu Yi Fan, and so and so forth. They were not updated that my master’s current name was Kris Wu.

“The Li Clan almost extinct status is all thanks to the late agents named Park Sun Chul and Kim Jong Woon.” The female leader said, passing a tablet with the profile of those people. They were my parents. “Both coming from a long generation of Vampire Hunting Clan, they were the best duo. So sync that they settled down into a family together.”

I read their biography thoroughly, an opportunity to meet them for the first time. I resembled my mom too much, our auburn hairs, our eyes, noses, lips, our faces and skins. I could not see anything I resembled with my dad but he was good looking.

“Come to think of it, you looked like Sun Chul.” I tensed at her comment, yet I pretended to don’t know and just ran my curiosity.

“H-how did they die?” She gulped but still stern as she looked at me.

She changed the window of the tablet into a video that looked so old with its quality. Our home was installed with CCTV‘s in each corner of it. On the date of the murder, a tall lanky man in a hooded black jacket entered that house like a wind in its speed. He knew where to locate my parents and in fast hand, my folks lost breath. Even you replayed that capture several times; it was difficult how he took their life away.

He greedily smacked both of my dead parent’s wrists till they withered, who left with skin and bones. My heart constricted at the view. He did not end there, going to the next room where one soul was left.

I could never imagine I had a wealthy lifestyle in my infancy, sleeping soundly in my yellow all in ones. Unlike how he attacked my parents, he was careful with his steps coming to my crib. He lifted me into his arms as if he was inspecting every inch of my face. I opened my round eyes and he was intently looking at me. I did not cry when I woke up and saw him; instead, I babbled as if I was glad to see him. In the excitement of that baby, he pulled the hood of the man off from him, revealing that familiar form. Instead scowling of being exposed, he beamed at the baby. He kissed him lovingly on forehead.

I was stunned, and did not even notice the tear that rolled to my eye.

“The CCTV stopped from that moment and the male infant was not found when the team investigated the house. Eventually, the kid was considered dead.” She explained, facing me she pointed the tears in my eyes.

“It’s such a shame that they lived a minimal in this world.” I chuckled in my snivels while wiping the residue of my tears with the heel of my palm.

She nodded steadily. “It’s such a shame too that we thought we found their son but you mentioned before that you just recently orphaned.”

“Yes, my father died in an accident.” I said quietly.

“We’re sorry for the lost but you don’t mind if we get a DNA sample from you, correct?” I nodded although I was unconfident.

 

Little to their knowledge, I cried silently underneath the blanket, later that night.

 

I was uncomfortable to sleep at night due to the nocturnal practice I had been doing for months now. My pillow soaked in wet and I did not care anymore of what they would think of me. My parents were probably thwarted because I disclaimed them as my real one.

I was happy to see them but it was excruciating to see their defenceless death. I should be in rage against Kris with that pain he caused. And then, the picture of me with him when I was a baby was beautiful and endearing. He must not know but he loved me from there. I must not know but I love him from there.

He kept a lot of secret, though little by little, I could solve the puzzle of my past. I could vision him observing me as I grew up years and years past. He was always living next door to mine. He was always standing at the pavement at dawn.  He was always discreet and unnoticed but he was forced to genuinely enter my life due to some sudden changes. Wiping the boredom out of his thousand years, he found it within me. Why I just saw it now?

The problem was progressing, because the family I loved, and the person I loved, despised one another. My head, my heart, my whole body was aching.

 

I dreamed that night about my adoptive mother meeting my real parents in a picnic. The sky is bright and blue and the temperature was just right for the flower field. There were big smiles on their lips and they quickly connected a common topic, me. My Adoptive Mom told how she raced me to my parents, me sitting in the middle of them, listening to their conversation and titters. It was peaceful; I wanted to take a nap, my head on the table.

“Chanyeol.” My eyes automatically opened to reality, facing Kris above me.

I hurriedly sat up, he signalled me to be quite so I nodded. He held my hand as we proceeded to the exit. I glanced up on him and he sensed; I dodged the contact. It felt like a long time had passed since I got there, even though only a day was done. I was not used to getting intimate with him to any further extent.

“Did they do something to you like get your specimens?” I shook my head. “Did they ask you?” I nodded. “What did they ask you?”

The door of the elevator opened; surprisingly, a guard was the one inside. Kris advanced in assaulting the latter, killing him by a slashed on his neck with master’s bare hand and making me scream. It was my fault that I woke the whole operations of the hunters, alarmed on everywhere.

Looked disappointed, he sighed lending his back on me. “Get on.”

This was an emergency and I did not hesitate to be carried by him.

 

We went out welcomed by the forest. There was a possibility they get to grips with the whole area but I was relying to Kris’ greatness on this situation. He ran further carrying me at his back, when he believed we were very far, stopping at the community farm, he put me down and we walked.

 

At the time Kris killed the guard, I saw the beast released inside him. It was an easy job to take the soul out of a mortal. But what if, his crime to our family did not happen and I became one these slayers. Would I die in his hands like effortlessly did?

 

Passed the farm, woods was the next route we were going through. I did not memorize that we travelled this extreme. The city might be miles away from there. I was losing air and energy, too good for him those things were unnecessary. Because I was about to lose myself, I slipped on the hanging root of those gigantic trees, my ankle broke.

“Let me see.” I sprawled my legs on the soft floor for him to examine.

Taking my shoes off, my ankle rapidly swollen as soon as my feet was exposed. The sight was starting to light, I bent my head up and the sun was almost up. We could not stay here longer.

“Kris—I mean—Master, you better leave me here, and find a shelter before the sunrise catches you.”

No.” He trashed my suggestion and lifted me, legs and back was lying on his arms.

He rushed running, showing his true strength. His speed was better than any race car. I wrapped my arms all over his neck tightly. We were lucky to find a barn in the middle of that place. Collapsing at the haystack, I gasped for air not because I was tired but the pressure we were going through.

I peeled my eyes open, to a weight of someone sitting beside me. He did not look fatigued from the fled at all.

“Are you hungry?”

“No.” I answered while my throat was squeezing tight.

“Don’t be stubborn and tell me the truth. You’re hungry, aren’t you?” He asked lowly.

“If we’re talking about the truth, you should have told me my entire past that you and I were involved.” I turned my body and face to opposite direction. I heard his frustrated exhale.

“Are we on that again?”

“Just don’t mind me, master.” I breathily said. “Humans don’t die if they can’t eat for a day. Let’s stay for the rest of the day.”

We did not open our mouths after then and I fell asleep.

 

I opened my eyes and found a grocery bag adjacent to my eyes. There were snacks and drinks and my feet were fully bandaged. I scanned the room more and my eyes locked to the man’s silhouette of standing beside the exit. The moonlight shone at the side of his face.

“Did you just get out?” He looked to my way and walked forward.

He climbed the hays where I was on top of it, always searching a space to be closer to me.

“You need to eat so we could continue our journey.” He toted the bag on his lap. He opened the yogurt drink for me and so as the sandwich.

“I don’t need a babysitter.” He chuckled at me.

I sulked with the way his treating me, hunger and thirst mixing. Unconsciously, my face became laughable to him.

“You really don’t need a babysitter, huh?” He carefully used his sleeve to wipe the mess off my mouth. In his action, the last scene on the video flashed to my memory.

I flinched, rummaged the plastic and found a napkin there. “I could wipe myself.” My voice muffled.

In the silence between us, I reflected to the recent occurrence. We pretended to be as father and son in the human world, master and servant in the actuality of his vampire world, but—the run of events altered heaps of items.

“Chanyeol, we’re not going home to our unit here, or in Seoul. Will that be okay with you?” While I was in the middle of my rumblings, he opened up a new decision out of the blue.

I understood why we were doing these adjustments but… “Where?”

 

 

 

We flied to New York and instead of a vast unit; I was dumbfounded to see a studio flat before me. I was not used to with the so-human ambiance of the place. There were too many colours. I heard the chimed sound of a key being placed on wooden surfaced so I turned around.

“I enrolled you to Brooklyn College and still in schedule in the night.” He informed me. “I hired an English Tutor and she will be here dusk before school.”

 “Master.”

“This place was very convenient to your transportation, hospital and establishments to your necessities.” As if he was deaf, not to hear me called him.

So, I tried again. “Master.”

“It was small but you have the view of the whole city.”

“Master!” He paused and I was able to get his attention. “Wh—”

“Please pend your questions later.” He was stricter this time that I did not attempt to stretch my mouth. “Let’s go for a lunch first.”

 

I ate at a diner along him and the questions inside my mind doubled. Things were getting weirder and weirder. I did not know if Kris lost his wealth or there where something coming up that I needed to expect. But, if it was mandatory that he would leave me for a while, I needed to endure it or whatsoever.

If this will truly be our last time at this moment together, I should asked him to this sundae with me. It must be tasteless for him but I wanted him to know what my favourite food taste like. Thankfully, he softened and opened his mouth for a scoop.

“What do you think?”

“Du schmeckt sehr gut.”

“Please speak something I could understand.” He snorted at my frown. Deep inside, I was happy he could show me his laugh for the last time.

 

***

 

Back at the apartment, I was still discontented to see our new unit, feeling too big for this. Contemplating, I would sit at the bed but interrupted when the light shut off.

“Master?” I did not want to sound scared, however I was unable to adjust it anymore. I bent down and d so I could sit at the edge of the bed. I called him again, afraid this was the time he would leave me. Please, I did not want you to be gone yet.

One or two minutes later, I controlled myself to relax, the exact time I sensed him just in front of me.

“Master.” In the darkness, I knew he could see me smiling. He held the side of my face and brushed his thumb to my cheek. I closed my eyes to only feel him and the heft of his hands transferred to my shoulders.

 

“Chanyeol, I will be leaving you here for good.” I had forming this theory just a while ago but the heaviness was still unbearable to carry. If he would press more, I might be at the verge of sobbing.

I could not speak, because my emotion would only flow once I do so. I was going to let him have all the time while I sealed my mouth to prevent my feelings from spreading out.

“This room fits a college boy that’s why I chose this, the mortal way of living and far from mine.” He said. “You should learn to live by your own now, don’t need a babysitter, right?”

So, you’re seriously took my words? How dare you? I glared at him at the dim area. I hope he could only see my glare, not the tears forming in the corner of my eyes.

“Chanyeol, after this day, you’ll no longer see me forever. I’m going to take the all the memories including me and your bitter past like we’ve talked about.”

“But, that’s not it!” I could not control that I ended up yelling at him. “I’m not graduated yet.”

“I know.” He opened the drawer of the night stand and pulled the brown envelope there. “This has all your funds for the remaining two years. If this is not enough, there’s a phone number of your sponsor that you can contact. All your paper works were at the drawers as well. And, the payment for this unit is paid for three years so you don’t need to worry about this.”

“Why so fast?” I tried my best to control but I still ended up weeping pathetically. Kneeling down, there he went again, wiping my tears for me like he was my Dad comforting my tantrums.

“The danger of our remaining kinds in China region was imminent. We could not live peacefully if we don’t scare the hunters.”

“Just—scare them.” My voice croaked. “Don’t kill them please.” I faintly said.

He sighed and leaned down on me till his lips met my forehead. “We’ll do our best.”

 

When I had ample of stability, in the core of my bed, I kneeled down and closed my eyes. Clearing my memories could be compared to the death sentence because you would lose the beautiful moments you preserved in your mind and heart.

In a few period of time, he would be vanished to my story. He I used to merely see standing down the pavement, now standing in front of me. The man at every dawn before I sleep was now the man who fell asleep beside me. He was a fantasy that made to reality. He held the roles of becoming my father, teacher, babysitter, brother, friend, enemy and if he could also be my lover.

 

“Chanyeol are you ready?” He asked.

My stomach was twisting but I did not have control over this. I motioned my nod slowly. My hands rested on both knees, his palm dramatically blocked my view. Counting down, I would no longer see him.

 

 

Can I stop you from doing that?

 

 

A hand taking his from my sight, I kept my eyes closed. I felt his cold but soft hands, touching it firmly and left some stream of kisses.

 

Can I stop you from doing that?” He pulled his hand away but I tightly hold it with both mines.

 

Can I stop you from doing that?” I knew I sounded like a broken record but I hoped I grasped his cold heart. The unstoppable new set of tears fell on my face again.

I felt love first than hate to him. That was why although, he killed my parents, gave me to a half nice and half hell family, an antagonist for the mortals, I loved him.

 

“How if I offer you a deal?” I said in a pleading tone. “Please make me a vampire and I will serve you eternally.”

 

He suspended from bolting his hand off of me but I did not hear him reply to my offer.

 

I attempted again. “Please.”

 

 

“Please.”

 

 

 

“Please.”

 

 

 

“Take off your shirt.” I swallowed to his command. Shaking hands, I my shirt, one by one. I stayed my eyes shut.

I did not fully undress myself but leaned down pressing his lips subtly to my temple, my cheek, jaw, three kisses from the shoulder before he put a long kiss to my neck. I shuddered to the cold air passing to our window. The long kiss on my neck started to sting to my skin. I clenched my teeth in pain, wrapping my arms to his neck. He pushed me down the bed and that was all I could remember.

 

The gloom seemed to stick inside my unit even when I woke up.

I rose up, looking at my calendar at the night stand. I missed the first day of my school because of I was snoozing for 36 hours. I casted my eye over the bed and found a letter. That man left me something:

 

Dear My Beloved Chanyeol,

Congratulations!

I know that once you read this you’ve awaken as vampire. I guess you are familiar with the rules since we live for almost 3 years. But, let me still enumerate them for you. As a new born, it will be more difficult for you but you’ll get used to it.

 

 

 

Have you seen yourself in the mirror?

 

Yes, I looked so strange. My eyes were embarrassing red; my hair was lighter and redder, my skin was so pale that as if you punctured me some whitening chemicals to me. When I looked at the mirror, my eyes seemed to have an HD lens installed. My senses were creepily refined. I was not saying I was regretting this. But, like you said, I’d be used to it.

 

I know you’re hungry after waking up. I left 90 packs of blood. Consumed it wisely and don’t be a glutton, New Born.

 

 What? Blood? Ew? Where was all the food we stored here?

 

He must have thrown them thinking I would not need them anymore. Hey! They were my food! Good thing I found chips on the counter. I ate one bag and to my new taste bud, they .

I was scared but I need to fill up my growling tummy. So I nervously, open one blood pack, sipping there, it did not taste bad at all.

 

Baby, I rescheduled your tutor to move your session for a week, but please attend your daily classes at the college. I prepared a contact that you could use; it was same with your previous eye colour.

 

Why was he sending me to school if I only know a little English? Is he kidding me? I would go there if I was more ready. I was going to do some self-study while I was preparing my English.

 

You said that you’re going to serve me forever. I love that but I don’t want to include you in this war. We’ll see each other in the next three years and don’t worry; three years are not that big for our forever existence. Please be safe. I’ll be back.

Love,

Kris

 

 

Four months had passed; still, not in the least I got tired of his only letter to me. What was the use of the phone if we could not send SMS or call each other even once? But, for a week now, I did not receive anything from him. I was getting worried.

I was riding the subway station, not even dawn, but in the morning. If I got toasted here in no time and died, I would haunt my classmates for asking me to stay longer in the school. The sun rays passed through the entrance of the station. It was my lucky day, I forgot my umbrella.

It was awkward to wear a long coat in the heat of the summer. So I disobeyed Kris and wore the thinnest blazer in my closet.

I could not prolong my pause in front of the stairs, as everyone rushed for their work while I was going home. I was exposed in the glaring sunlight, hot temperature was not that hazardous at first, but I started steaming after 10 minutes. I rushed to the nearest roofs that I could see to shelter from my threatening death. I just need to walk a few blocks and would be home.

 

I betrayed my parents choosing to be the same kind of our families’ enemy. It was for the sake of staying endlessly with the man I initially did not know if would love me back. After what happened on the sacred ritual, I confirmed our status.

However, with my situation right now, my parents might be cursing me so we would meet in heaven. But this was a lame death, if I would kick my bucket here. I would not surrender. Only a few blocks… Only a few blocks…

 

My swift movement was suspended when someone blocked my way. I was ready to protest but that person did not let me, he protected me with an umbrella fitting for both our lanky figure.

“Kris!” I wanted to hug him but he forced me to be in front while he was behind me. He locked his one arm around me, pressing us together.

My blood was rising to my cheeks; I was floating in the air with our position. I ended up spacing up.

“Look your way, kiddo.” I glanced up to him, grinning, and kissed him in any part of his face that I could reach him.

“What’s the 3 years you were talking about?” I asked.

He seemed that he liked to urgent our way to the building. So could only response, when we get inside there.

“Things are astoundingly settled down earlier.” Good news.

“Great. So are we going back there?” I asked while we were entering the elevator.

He pressed the button to our floor’s unit, shaking his head.

 

“For all the places I lived in, this is the best size of them all. Surely things will quickly heat up.” His personality was swiftly converted from cold to hot.

“What?” Yet, there was a sudden chill at the elevator. I felt bashful, making me push him to the wall. “Go back where you came from and leave me alone.”

“Hey, if you didn’t begged me to agree with your deal, you wouldn’t see me here.” He was laughing loudly at me. He never changed at that point.

Crossing my arms to my chest, I rolled my eyes. “Whatever.”

While waiting for our arrival, he gently pulled me in to his arms. We were not official back then but I did not realize that he had been touchy with me from the start. Glad he was being more playful, glad I was the one who warm his heart, he had kept a little secretive, because he did not tell me his coming today, but that was okay.

“Thank you.” I shyly said.

I whined when he pinched my nose. He was smirking. “You still need a babysitter, don’t you?”

“No.” I knew I looked when I was embarrassed. My voice was cracking too. “It’s just an exception today.”

“Aish. What will happen to you if you don’t have a babysitter, friend, boyfriend, teacher and daddy like me?” I nudged him by my elbow.

“Can you take the daddy out there?”

“You’re almost burned up earlier, baby.”

Don’t call me baby!

 

For the pain I gained in my early years, and caused of it, Kris was able to pay it off. We still tried living like the mortals because I missed it. I did not envy them though since I had someone to love for days, months, years and forever. I had more moments to visit my real parents and adoptive parents to offer my gratitude. At dawn, Kris and I were both standing at the pavement. As soon as the sun rose, we disappeared from there, we were lucky to be alive.

 

***End***