Chapter Three

Good things take time

Spending the night with Chorong is nothing more than great, though what they have done is just cuddling in each other’s arms and drifted to the dreamland in a split second. Naeun is only awaken to the sunlight when a new day has come. No buzzer sound or yell from the younger Son is heard. She stares at the half emptied bed and caresses the crumpled sheet, couldn’t help smiling with the remaining warmth.

Naeun adjusts her position and closes her eyes as fast as she could when the door is slowly opened. Her heart is beating like a snare drum and it is synchronized with the approaching footsteps.

“Naeunie, wake up.” Chorong squats down and pokes her nose.

“Hmm…”

“Get up or no morning kiss for you.”

Naeun opens her eyes immediately and greeted by a kiss on her cheek. Chorong’s face is slightly covering the sun ray, making her looks more angelic. She stretches her arms trying to give her angel a bear hug. But her fully awaken girlfriend has dodged her action and backs off at once.

“I prefer a kiss on my lips.” Naeun pouts for failing to catch her girlfriend the nth time.

“Not until you brush your teeth.” The older girl giggles and leaves.

 

“Naeun-ah. I am sorry but starting from this week I think I can barely have lunch with you.”

“W-Why?”

Chorong picks up the fork her girlfriend just dropped and walks to the kitchen. She doesn’t return with a clean one. Instead she straightly goes to Naeun and sits on her lap.

“I have to start planning for the graduation. Plus as the vice president of the student council duties are inevitable.”

Naeun nods and secures her grip on her waist. “Oh yeah. The campus festival is coming too. Do you need to help the Hapkido club this year?”

“I am appointed as an honourable member, as far as I know. So I guess I am free for it now.” She laughs. “Campus festival is a beautiful thing, isn’t it?”

“Sure it is. Because you have become mine when the festival is over.”

 

“Naeun-ssi. Anything do you like for lunch?”

The called girl slowly lifted her wrist. The hour hand pointed at 2 sharply on her watch.

“Go get your lunch first. I will take care of the booth.”

“Thank you! I will be right back!”

She gave her classmate a reassuring nod and began to drowse again.

 A tap on her shoulder pulled her out from her dream.

“May I help you?” She should have feel annoyed when she realized the disturbance was created by a stranger. But the apologetic and gentle look on the boy’s face made her soften her attitude.

“I just read the poster saying that there’s workshop on 3pm. Should be about how to make a rose out of drinking straw. Is it over or…?”

Naeun caught a glimpse of her watch. It’s already half past 3 and there’s no sign of her classmate.

“Sure. Please get a seat. What colour of rose do you like?”

“Pink and red.”

“Choose one only.”

The boy shyly collected the red straw from her with disappointment in his eyes, which Naeun didn’t fail to notice. She taught the boy how to fold the straw patiently, and finally he raised the red rose with satisfaction.

“Who’s the lucky girl you are going to confess to?”

“She’s over there.” He pointed at a booth which was surrounded by a long queue.

“Good luck then!”

“Thank you so much!”

“Give this to her too.” Naeun handed her the pink rose.

“Can I?”

“Sure. Didn’t she like both pink and red?”

The boy bowed to her in 90-degree angle, offering her a charm smile that every single female would fall for before he walked away. Naeun chuckled at the overjoyed boy and had a feeling that she just did the most proper thing in her life.

When Naeun almost fell into asleep she was greeted by a crowd of male students. They all asked her to teach them how to make the rose. And much to her surprise their choice of colour was as same as the previous boy. She wondered if they were going to confess to the same girl but she shrugged it off and professionally got her job done without question. The boys bowed to Naeun and bade their goodbyes with two roses in their hand.

It’s nearly 6 when Naeun finished cleaning up the booth. She packed the un-used straws together and made a mental note to herself to buy some straws on her way back. She looked around the hall. All booths were closed except the one which was still crowded with long queue. Out of cusiousity she headed to that booth. Unexpectedly, the popular booth was set up by the Hapkido club.

“Master-nim.” Somebody called out in a whisper.

She turned around and found where the sound from, the speaker was the first participant of her rose workshop.

“Haven’t you confessed to your crush yet?”

He shook his head. “She accepted my roses. That’s all.”

“Is this the queue for confessing to her?” So this girl must be very pretty. She mumbled to herself.

“No this is for joining the Hapkido club. But I doubt if there’s any successful applicant.”

“I see. Maybe I can have a try?”

“Are you interested in her too?” The boy asked in disbelief.

“I don’t even know who she is but I am curious about the receiver of my roses.” She answered in a playful tone and followed the line.

Her jaw dropped when she finally saw the mentioned girl. All she could recall was how the girl given her speech confidently during student council election. Since juniors were not allowed to visit the seniors’ classroom she never ever had the chance to get to know her. She had spotted her once in the student council office, and ended up waiting outside the office for 15 minutes during her precious lunch hour every day. She really did so but the certain girl was nowhere to be found.

Now the girl she desperately wanted to know was standing in front of her, wearing the Hapkido uniform with a black belt around her waist. Her long curly hair tied to a ponytail. Her eyes were still beautiful but run out of sparkles, only tiredness was visible in them.

A student just dropped on the floor with a bang. She frowned at the boy as if she’s feeling the same pain as he did, while her feet already took charged of her body and she was now the head of the queue.

“Hey. Are you going to join us?”

Naeun widened her eyes when she noticed the Hapkido pro had such a childlike tone. She lifted her head and gave her a firm nod. She swore the Earth must have stopped spinning at that moment when they stared into each other’s eyes silently.

“You will be admitted as a member if you win me over the hand fighting.”

She suddenly gathered much courage when she stood up due to their slight height difference.

“I am not interested in joining your club at all, miss.” All I interested is you, not some random martial art.

The shorter girl was obviously enraged by Naeun’s rudeness. “Then leave. There are still a lot of people queuing up.” She raised her voice and went red in the face, which Naeun found it very cute.

“Hey how can you do that to me? I have been queuing for half of an hour.”

“What do you want then? Miss Son?”

The unfamiliar form of address caught her off guard.  “There’s just one thing I need. I will tell you when our hand fight is over.”

They stood properly and reached out their hands, closing the gap between each finger. She felt her palms were being slapped once a member of the club announced the fight had started. Naeun almost lost balance by the might from the smaller palms. She quickly adjusted her position and pressed the flat of her palms against her opponent.  After several rounds of double handed high fives she could feel the push become less aggressive. She smirked at the upcoming attack and raised both of her arms in the air. The Hapkido pro was startled at her sudden action. She had no choice but to move one of her foot in order to avoid hitting Naeun’s chest. As a result her hands landed on the challenger’s shoulders.

“…You win” She gasped the two words in a very low voice.

Feeling the tickle on her neck, Naeun loosened her stretched arms and grabbed hold of the shorter girl’s shoulders. All she could do is to pull away, which hurt the latter. Before she could utter a word the blushing girl pushed her violently and ran away, leaving Naeun fallen onto the floor dumbfounded.

“Chorong noona!” Several members came after the fleeing girl, she quickly stood up when she witnessed numerous pairs of bare feet passed by. It didn’t take long for her to spot the certain girl hugging her knees at the staircase.

“Chorong-ssi?”

Chorong lifted her head and buried her face in her knees again. “Leave me alone, please…” It’s a wrench for her to see the puffy eyes on her beautiful face. Naeun made her way to the sobbing girl and hugged her tightly.

“Please don’t cry. Your smile is the only thing that I want so bad.”

“How dare you to do this to me?” She sniffed while trying to escape from her embrace.

“I am sorry. But I have to get my reward before you want me to leave.”

Naeun’s words sent a chill down her spine. She hugged her knees tighter which resembled a frightened squirrel. Naeun retrieved her arms and gently patted on her head.

“I joined the crowd because I want to meet you in person. Honestly I have zero interest in Hapkido. I just want to ask you out on a date. You don’t have to answer me right now. I am always there in the art club booth. And my name is Naeun.”

Hearing the sincerity in her confession, Chorong raised her head and glanced off the anticipating girl.

“I can’t believe one of the most famous girls in the campus is courting me!” She took the younger girl’s hand and stood up.

Naeun stared at their touching hands while rubbing her nape with awkwardness. “I will take it as a yes then.”

 

“Naeun. Earth to Naeun.”

Naeun confusingly looks up and meets the dark round orbs of her girlfriend.

“You should really let go of me now. We are getting late.”

The called girl takes a glance at the desk clock which is next to a large glass jar filled with straw roses.

“Shouldn’t you make good your promise first, Miss Vice President?”

Chorong raises an eyebrow with a not impressed expression. “What is it? Son Naeun?”

“Your kiss.”

“bu—“

“I have brushed my teeth and I am so hungry…” She shifts her gaze to her favourite scrambled eggs. It’s lying peacefully on the plate ever since the breakfast is ready.

Chorong sighs and gently pulls out her arms. She tucks a strand of hair behind Naeun’s ear and wraps her arms around her neck. When their lips touched, the younger girl quickly deepens their kiss by sliding her tongue inside her girlfriend’s mouth. Both of them miss approximately 3 lessons as their kiss eventually turns to a hot make out session.

 

 

 

A/N: NaCho's hand fighting (starting from 11:39): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBT0R12WPQM

Please comment and keep an eye of this fic. Two new characters will make their appearance on next chapter! Have a nice weekend! - Violet