ob·liv·i·ous [adj.]

Oblivious

 

There were moments between them that everyone around them could sense. Everyone could tell that during that split second moment, they were more than friends. But Minho and Amber were oblivious to this themselves.

They were the smallest of things that you’d hardly notice, but their bandmates shared these knowing looks and when either party questioned the strange actions of their friends, they merely shrugged their shoulders and smiled when they looked away.

It started when Minho came home one day wearing a new hat. It was black and donned the LA Dodgers logo.

“New hat?” questioned Key, the only one that could comment on subtle fashion changes without suspicion.

Minho nodded slightly even though they had all seen Amber wearing that exact hat last week.

Amber tried her best to stifle her giggles into her pillow. It was all in vain because her roommates woke up prompting Krystal to throw one of her stuffed animals at her and Victoria to shush her.

“What are you laughing at anyway at one o’clock in the morning?” Asked Sulli groggily.

“I thought I told you not to watch the new skins episode without me!” accused Krystal.

Amber let another set of laughs out before answering, “No, it’s just Minho just texted something funny.” She laughed a little more as she replied to the message and the other girls looked at each other through the dark. Luna nudged Sulli and whispered, “Do you think he likes her?” Sulli nodded without hesitation causing Luna to let out a squeal rivaling one of their fans. Victoria shushed them again, but smiled anyway.

The pair sat together on the couch in the dressing room. They were watching some basketball game on Minho’s computer. They both leaned in closely to the screen following the players back and forth. They were so engrossed they didn’t even notice how close their faces were together.

The other members were scattered throughout the room. Whoops and yelling erupted from the two on the couch and as they high fived each other, the observing members migrated together. They formed this semi circle around the make-up table. Whispers went back on forth where each member shared stories that happened in their dorm. Their suspicions were confirmed and another round of cheers could be heard from the other side of the room.

The observers decided to gather concrete evidence of the mutual feelings. One the plane to New Yor they deliberately left one seat open next to Taemin and one next to Krystal. Upon entering the plane Minho quickly scanned the seating options and instead chose an empty pair of seats two rows before the rest of s. Amber boarded shortly after and instantly sat down next to Minho without even considering the seat next to Krystal. Krystal leaned forward twisted around in her seat to face Victoria, Luna, and Sulli. They giggled like school girls. The row across from them was filled with chuckles and ‘Get it, Minho’s.

The crowds were screaming and confetti flew everywhere. Around them SM idols jumped around stage and sang their ending song whilst everyone hugged or exchanged other interactions of friendship. Amber leaned in to say something to Minho. When he didn’t hear her the first time she moved closer to say it into his ear. His hand rested on her waist pulling her in a little closer. The members of f(x) and SHINee secretly discussed how natural it was and how his hand lingered a little longer than necessary.  

“Just go out already!” Victoria yelled, but only loud enough for the members around her to hear. Her outburst surprised them, but they all nodded in agreement.

“These two are denser than… than whatever is really dense!” stated Luna.

“You mean you, Luna?” offered Krystal with an innocent look on her face.

They sat on the floor of their hotel room after the concert and ate popcorn and pizza while watching an American romance movie that happened to be on tv. No one knew what was going on except Amber and Krystal but they didn’t bother to find anything else to occupy their time.

During a commercial break Sulli blurted out of nowhere when she grabbed another handful of popcorn, “You know, Minho likes you, Amber.”

This caused Amber to choke slightly on her coke. “W-what? Where did you hear that from?”

“We didn’t hear it anywhere, we saw it. It’s really obvious to pretty much, everyone. The rest of SHINee notices it too.”

Amber opened a couple of times but no words came out. After while she recovered her speech and asked softly, “Do you really think so?”

The four other girls groaned in unison. “We know so,” said Victoria exasperated.

“You should talk to him, or kiss him. You know, whatever works faster,” stated the maknae with a straight face.

Amber blushed and couldn’t hide it. Soon, the girls that were practically her sisters dragged her to her feet and pushed her out the door.

“They’re in room 1308!” yelled Luna before shutting the door, locking Amber out. She knew they wouldn’t let her in until she marched over there. Her feet were heavy and she suddenly wished she hadn’t eaten that third piece of pepperoni pizza.

Her knuckles rapped lightly on the door and she was greeted by the smiling maknae.

“You must be looking for Minho, right?” He called out for Minho before she could even confirm.

“Oh, hey, Amber,” he smiled and Amber wished they had never put those silly thoughts into her head. Because now she was suddenly fantasizing what it would be like to wake up and have him smile like that at her every day.  Embarrassed at her thoughts, she ran her hand through her limp bangs that were void of any hair spray.

“Could we go someplace?” she muttered awkwardly.

“Of course,” he smiled again and caused Amber’s knees to tremble a little. He walked over to the elevator and pressed the down button.

“I hear there’s a really good ice cream shop in the lobby with an especially great chocolate flavor.” She smiled; he remembered her favorite ice cream flavor.

“Let’s hope the vanilla is just as good,” she pushed him playfully like she had a million times before, but she felt strange this time.

“Hey! Vanilla is just as good a flavor as chocolate,” he followed her into the elevator, “at least it’s better than those ridiculous flavors like coconut or cotton candy.” He cringed at the thought. Minho was a purist, especially when it came to ice cream.

Amber laughed slightly covering with her hand while nodding in agreement and Minho couldn’t help but notice how girly the action was. Did she always do that? He wondered. He never really thought that Amber did anything all that girly, but upon reviewing his memory, she did it all the time she laughed.

The doors opened on the sixth level and a group of SNSD and Super Junior sunbaes boarded the elevator causing Minho having to scoot closer to Amber. She was pressed into his side and it shocked him how nicely she fit next to him. Two more Super Junior members rushed onto the already squished elevator. Minho maneuvered his arm to wrap around Amber’s shoulders to make more room. His had rested on her waist and he suddenly noticed how his hand fit perfectly into the curve of her waist. He hadn’t thought about it when he did the same action hours earlier. It was surprisingly comfortable and he could smell her vanilla shampoo. Amber looked up at him and smiled, Minho grinned back. When the elevator reached their floor, the pair walked off of the elevator in the same position continuing their debate about ice cream flavors.

One of the girls immediately sent a picture to the leader of f(x) and they all giggled to each other. “I think Minho likes her!” The boys whistled and yelled, “Get it, Amber!”