Chapter Three

The Little KPop Drummer Boy

 

 

"Hyung!!! I thought, I thought you were gone! I'm so sorry, it's all my fault. What did they do to you?!!" Tears welled up in Chanyeol's eyes, as he rushed to embrace the tall figure that appeared in front of him out of the blue, in the dark empty practice room. It had been a few weeks since the failed test, and after he woke up in his dorm alive and with all his memories restored, Chanyeol was  ecstatic to see all his band members happily carrying out their usual routines with no heartwrenching disbandment in sight; but he also couldn't erase the guilt over causing the demise of his new beloved demon friend. 

"To be honest, I'm not quite sure myself."Jimmy coughed and shifted around nervously, fidgeting with the blindingly white robe he's wearing. All his hundreds of tattoos were gone, replaced by pale skin glowing with a saintly aura. His usually shaggy tresses were trimmed and neatly arranged beneath a shining halo that emitted the warmest luminosity. Well, unfortunately there's really no other way to put this, Jimmy looked...angelic. "This is... my punishment?"

It took quite a bit of conversation for Jimmy to explain exactly what had happened. Zeppelin and Dimebag fought for his case pretty hard in hell, arguing that Chanyeol's incredulous martyr behavior called for heaven to be a part of the test result determination as well. Many realm shattering debates later, the Angels, who were quite pleased with the outcome of the test, found a loophole: Jimmy would cease to exist in hell by becoming an angel in heaven! 

Chanyeol felt so relieved as the guilt of being a demon killer vanished. "Waah, you are so lucky hyung! Heaven must be amazing!"

Jimmy rolled his eyes again."It's ok I guess. No booze, no drugs, no hot succubus. The angels did allow me to play some music in heaven as long as I don't use tritonic chords. Oh and I get zapped if I cuss so I don't talk much anymore..."

Chanyeol was starting to bow apologetically again when Jimmy waved for him to stop. "It's ok, I'll survive! I did hear some encouraging news though, because of all the drum training I gave you, you are now destined to be the best KPop drummer in the near future! So rad, I've never had the chance to teach someone drumming..."

Jimmy spoke enthusiastically, but... Chanyeol tilted his head in confusion."Hyung, your sentences got silenced all of a sudden, I couldn't hear a word. What did you just say?"

"Agh fuc.. OUCH!!! ARRRGGHHH! Darn it! Must be yet another holy pain-in-the- rule so I can't talk about the future. Oh well, boy, just practice a lot of drumming ok? I saw your solo performances at the concerts, it was great! Don't give up practicing!"

Chanyeol looked like a big happy puppy that just got petted for being a good boy. He bolted up to give Jimmy a bear hug. "Thank you Hyung. I'm sure your life in heaven will get better."

Jimmy laughed. "It's not too bad, there are other perks. I also got assigned to be the guardian angel of my old band!!!" And that was truly a glorious lucky break. Jimmy thought about how tearful everyone was where he appeared in front of them with the good news. Well, Zack and Johnny freaked out initially thinking it was yet another bad mushroom trip, but after a bit of convincing it was all gravy. Since then Jimmy has even spent some time with Mike to compose a few new songs, and man alive was it ever awesome to be able to chill with Brian again. Watching Brian sweat over one of his twisting solos, and jamming along on his old drum set that the band had kept as a momento, Jimmy could almost pretend that he had never left his beloved band members, these goofy boys that tugged at his heartstrings even in the afterlife.

"Well, I gotta jet, this is farewell then, boy. You were right all along, stick with your bandmates and you'll be alright." Jimmy's cheerful voice resonated as his halo brightened and engulfed him in a soft glow. His last words echoed in the dark practice room after his figure faded away. "Oh and I checked for you, ferrets go to heaven too, you lucky kid."

Chanyeol stood in the now empty practice room, frozen in thoughts. For a brief moment, his lone shadow looked so small and vulnerable, like that of a little boy forever searching for his beloved pet ferret. Slowly his silly giddy grin creeped back onto his face, as he walked back to his drum set, and started practicing again.

END