Song 8

The Time I Loved You

[Later that day]

 

Jongwoon and I agreed to have practice in their cafe. He insisted on using the piano room that only his family can use in their building for our own convenience.

 

"You know how to play the piano?"

"I play the piano and write notes pretty well but Ryeowook is still the better pianist. Kyu plays the clarinet and harmonica pretty well too. He's also a great pianist."

"I see."

"Seonsaengnim made our task harder so now we have to write two original songs. Any ideas?"

"Should we brainstorm some words we can use for the theme?"

"Yeah, you start."

"Eyes."

"Heart."

"Sky."

"Love."

"Stars."

"Distance."

"First love!"

 

There was an awkward silence after my suggestion. What's wrong with it?

 

"Do you believe that first love never dies?" I asked curiously.

"No. First love means first heartbreak." He answered in an emotionless way, his eyes full of hatred and pain.

"I see." I decided not to dig deeper.

 

After some time of discussing, revising and a few (I mean a LOT) of complaints, we finally came up of a title.

 

"Stars Appear..."

 

We decided to wrok on the lyrics first and Jongwoon fell asleep without knowing it. He seemed really stressed and now he's sleeping comfortably and soundly in the middle of everything.

I poked his soft cheeks with my index finger and he didn't move an inch. I traced his beautiful jawline up to his irresistible lips and amazingly outlined nose, all the way to his perfectly drawn eyes. I admired his sweet yet mysterious personality and I'm coming to realize that I fell for it.

 

"Woon oppa..." I whispered softly, pushing aside the bangs that hid his beautiful eyebrows.

"What did you just call me?" He pulled my hand and our faces were so close.

 

He opened his eyes and we stared at each other for what seemed like forever, never breaking eye contact. That's when it hit me.

 

"In your eyes, stars appear..."


 

I took a nap for about 30 minutes and was about to wake up when I felt someone's breath. Must be Haejin, huh? I decided to play along.

 

"Woon oppa...." What?

"What did you just call me?"

 

I opened my eyes only to find her face inches away and her beautiful eyes gazing into mine. I saw myself in her eyes, and that involuntarily made my heart skip a beat. I looked away.

 

"I...I'm sorry I fell asleep."

"Aniyo, you dn't have to worry about it. Actually, it became a great help."

"A great help?"

"I just found the greatest idea in the wildest place."

 

And then she smiled. That goddamn smile. Why am I acting like this?

It's Mira that I like, not Haejin. I just met her while I've known Mira my whole life. I can't fall for someone else now that she's back to me. I'm right....am I?

 

While I was busy organizing my thoughts, she took a pen and paper and started writing rapidly. I moved to her back and leaned in, reading everything she wrote, And it was perfection.

 

언제나 나에겐 잊을 수 없는 순간뿐이야
지금은 너에게 잊을 수 없는 날이 될 거야

나는 너와 함께야 처음 만난 그 순간처럼

자 이제 같이 떠나자 나는 너를 향해 있어 여긴 별이 뜬다

너와 늘 잊을 수가 없는 멜로디로
그래 넌 이제 눈이 부신 나의 멜로디로

이제 난 믿을 수 없는 순간을 여기 펼쳐낼 거야
난 너와 함께해 우리는 같이 걷고 있다는 걸
기억해 닿을 수 없는 순간을 다시 이뤄낼 거야
너의 눈에 별이 뜬다

어쩜 이 모든 게 꿈처럼 조각나진 않을까
빛나던 소리만 너에게 들리지는 않을까

너는 나의 빛이야 언제라도 그런 것처럼
자 이제 다시 만들자 우린 같은 곳에 있어 여긴 별이 뜬다

이제 난 믿을 수 없는 순간을 여기 펼쳐낼 거야
난 너와 함께해 우리는 같이 걷고 있다는 걸
기억해 닿을 수 없는 순간을 다시 이뤄낼 거야
너무나도 아름다운 너에게

난 너와 우리의 모든 순간을 여기 펼쳐낼 거야
난 너를 믿을게 우리는 여기 함께 있다는 걸
기억해 꿈꿀 수 없는 모든 걸 다시 이뤄낼 거야
나의 눈에 별이 뜬다

 

It’s always a moment I can never forget
It’ll be a day that you won’t ever forget

I’m with you, just like the moment we first met
Now let’s leave together, I’m going toward you and stars appear

With you and an unforgettable melody
Now you’re my dazzling melody

Now I will make some unbelievable moments
I am with you, we are walking together
Remember, we will achieve all the moments we couldn’t before
Stars appear in your eyes

What if all of this breaks apart like a dream?
What if this shining sound can’t be heard by you?

You are my light, like it always has been
Now let’s make it again, we’re in the same place and stars appear

Now I will make some unbelievable moments
I am with you, we are walking together
Remember, we will achieve all the moments we couldn’t before
To you, who is so beautiful

Now you and I will make all of our moments
I believe in you, that we are together
Remember, we will make all our unfulfilled dreams come true
Stars appear in my eyes

 

As I read what she wrote, a perfect tune was stuck in my mind. I grabbed the paper from her hands and she protested but then sighed in defeat. I placed it on the piano and just let my fingers flow, singing everything she wrote.

 


 

"Wait! That's terrible! I still have to revise that! Stop!"

 

Yesung placed the paper above his head so that I can't reach it and I sighed in defeat. I just gave up and watch him snatch away my masterpiece.

He placed it on the piano and closed his eyes. I was standing there, puzzled. Not so long after that, my ears were filled by an amazing melody. I couldn't think of a better one.

Soon, words came out of his lips. They perfectly matched the melody and what left me in awe was the fact that the lyrics he's singing are the lyrics I just wrote. He sang it for the first time with a full piano accompaniment without even thinking. He created a song just like that, magically.

 


 

I sang the lyrics whole-heartedly replaying that scene from that day in my head. That's how I felt the song and I just let it flow out of me. In my head, there's just me, her and a beautiful melody.

 

"Where are you now?"

I remembered Mira, but now it's different. It's Haejin, and she came back for me.

 

"Yesung-ah, mianhae! I fell asleep and I forgot that we had practice today I'm so sorry I didn't know it would wa-"

I cut her with a hug. The rain was still pouring heavily but at that time nothing else mattered.

"I thought you'd never come..."

 

And all the scenes from before. The first time I met her, the first time someone challenged me, the first time someone else other than Mira called me with some nickname, it's all with her.

 

Am I really falling the other way around? Because I don;t know what this is anymore....