~Saw Her~

Reset My Life

Based on Reset by Tiger JK ft. Jinsil of Mad Soul Child

 

 

There’s an emptiness in this lonely heart.

A scar from the promise that tears them apart,

 

I wanna reset,I wanna reset, I wanna reset

 

Whatever I do, Wherever I go,

There’s no one’s hand to hold me for support

 

I wanna reset, I wanna reset, I wanna reset

 

,

“Thank you and please come a--” my sentence were cut off by the loud slamming of the small bakery shop. I flinched and sighed. The bell hung on top of the door jingled loudly from the effect. Rude much. I pushed up the rim of my glasses that was threatening to fall off my face in any seconds and glanced at the vintage clock hanging on the wall. 45 minutes left until my shift will end. Should I ask my boss for an extra shift? But then I remembered he wasn’t in the shop for the day and the devil was waiting for me at home. I meant hell.  

 

I heard the bell jingled, signifying a new customer has entered the shop.

 

“Welcome to After School Bakery. May I help you wi--” I halted on my sentence as soon as I realized who was in front of me. Six girls in familiar school uniforms entered the shop, joking around until they made eye contact with me. I quickly duck my head down. Oh no, they’re one of the bullies. Please don’t recognize me--

 

“Oh, aren’t you Mirae the Famous Outcast?” One of the females, I believe as Soo In, asked and they laughed. I felt my cheeks burn in anger but I kept my head down, not wanting to fight back. I mentally cursed them for coming into the shop out of all the big fat shops. I could hear one of them calling my name but I ignored as I glued my gaze on the floor.

 

“Hey, Park Mirae! This idiot, I ought to--”

 

“Whoa,Shi Jin. Chillax!” I could hear them chuckle. I forced my eyes to look up and face them with braveness.I blinked my eyes and took a deep breath. I could feel their burning gazes that practically was burning holes into my head. But as much as I want to coware in a corner, I didn’t look away. I could feel the tension going in the air. It was silent, too silent that I swore I heard my own heart beat fastening its pace. What is this? A silent war intended to see who loses? After all, we know who would lose first.

 

“What do you want?” I asked in my coldest voice, though I was shaking in fear inside: praying for them to get out of the shop as soon as possible. They scoffed at my brave act. I felt my palms became sweaty, my feet fidgeted on the ground. I felt like running away. No, I felt like dying on the spot. I could hear footsteps--no, loud raging stompings. I closed my eyes and was ready for the worst. Jimin came towards me and grabbed me by the collar. A stinging and hurtful pain came across my left cheek. I slightly yelped due to the strong force that came from her hand. I felt my cheek slightly bloated from the pain. But all I wanted was to be free from the grip. I struggled and trashed around, my feet was almost off the ground. Curse her and her taekwondo black belt skills. The four laughed at my poor state as if it was the funniest sight they had ever watched in their whole life.

 

“Who are you to talk to us like that, may I ask? Oh wait, you’re nobody.” Another round of laughter resonated in the shop. The grip loosen and I was pushed, with a small force but I lost my balance and stumbled a few steps back as I brought my attention back to the ground. I could almost felt the satisfied smirk on her lips.”Since we’re at it, I’ll go out and check if someone’s outside. We can go on with our plan if there’s no distraction.” Jimin then left the shop, standing at the front door, leaving me with the other three. Plan? What plan?

 

“Yah, Outcast.”

 

So Young started to walk around the shop in a very slow pace. The way her shoe made loud noises due to the friction with the floor, her eyes looking into mine and the small smirk playing on her mouth made me sweat even more. The tension was unbearable.”Yah, Park Mirae.” She called my name and I felt like vomitting hearing the way she dragged out the syllable “Mi”. It sounds like venom, I hate it when my name is treated like venom. I slowly lifted my head to face the group of girls but my eyes weren’t focus on theirs.

 

The brunette smirked and squinted her eyes into an oh-so-intimidating glare.”Yah.” She started as she took a step forward.”Park Mirae.” Another step forward and her smirk broaden. I tried keeping my eyes on her face but avoided her eyes. She took another step forward, closer towards me.”Yah, Outcast.” She said and her smirk disappeared, her fingers playing with my locks. I gulped down my saliva as I slowly look up. I felt her grip on my hair tighten.

 

”Since we are here, shouldn’t we be receiving some service? We’re your customer, after all.” I heard Shi Jin called out.

 

“Look into my eyes as I talk.” She hissed and my eyes widened slightly. She took a fistful of my hair and yanked my head backwards.”Argh!” I yelped in pain. Their evil annoying cackles rang through my ear. So Young tightened her grip on me, the execruting pain forced the desperate cry for help came out of my mouth. But it made her grip tighter. 

 

“Someone’s coming!” Jimin exclaimed from the door. Soon, her hand left my hair, leaving it disheavled and messy, slightly sticking out.”See you again, Outcast.” So Young tapped my cheek lightly and the other followed the same. They left the shop as I heard the bell jingled. I quickly tidied up myself and eased the crease of my uniform. I cleared my throat as returned to my formal position and greeted the new customer. 

 

---

 

I lowered my phone and I looked at the group of girls that came out of the shop who are walking down the street normally, as if nothing had happened. I looked back at the girl in the shop that had her head slightly hung low.

 

I sighed in pity for the girl. Never knew the world could be this dramaticaly harmful. I checked on the pictures I took of the scene in the bakery. How could no one realized about the chaos in there. Plenty of people roamed around the area, but still no one realized the helpless girl in the small shop. 

 

I scoffed towards myself. I was ranting on people. But I myself couldn’t be brave enough to help the girl. How could someone with that appearance be bullied easily? Doesn’t she have anyone? I simply almost got a headache thinking about that.

 

“Jungkook-ah! Hurry up, we’ll be missing the bus home.” I heard J-hope yelled out and I answered a ‘yes’, before going back towards my group of friends. I took another last glance towards the shop and remembered myself to come back to the small bakery, After School Bakery.

 

 

Someone, somewhere, somehow knows how my heart’s feelin from afar,

They somehow knows how the pain leaves behind unhidden scars,

Like a lost bird I’m flying around in this lonely night,

Wondering how others lives a life that could be so bright,

 

Why are you ignoring me, 

Why are you so cruel about what I feel,

Don’t leave me behind but fly with me,

I don’t wanna live a life with so many feels,

You just don’t know what I see,

You don’t feel the pain with me,

If just having you right by my side,

Just if you accompany me for a night,

 

 

I stared at the doorknob. My hand went up to hold it and I took it back down after a few seconds. Should I come in or not? Should I? Or better not? I bit my lower lips and chewed on it as I debated on going in the house or not. It was my home, after all. But to me, it felt like hell. I felt every kind of misery in it. I hate it. I hate it so much. I could hear the muffled scream of pain from inside the house. I closed my eyes, trying to distract myself from the painful cry of help.

 

It all started when my parents divorced. They got divorced when I turned 5 years old. Before, they were very kind and supportive.

 

He would always come back to the house, drunken with a bottle of alcohol on hand. He would hit, kick, slap mom and mumbled profinities. Cursing her for leaving him. Eventhough things were the otherwise. I felt every kind of guilt but due to my selfishness, I would just stood and watch as she was being abused. I love her but also hate her. She was the reason my family shattered. My life shattered into small pieces thanks to her. I hate her as much as I love her. She was the one that made him leave.

I snapped myself back to reality as the door opened. There stood my father, breathing shallow and rigid, tints of red colouring his cheeks and the tip of his nose, his eyes unfocused and hazy. He saw me and a small smile played on his lips. I could still felt the warmness from his effortless smile though it wasn’t even near half-hearted.

 

“Mirrraeee....Mir...ae....my-- daughter.” He said as hiccups bubbled out of his mouth. I sighed and exhaustedly told him to go home. I shoved him slightly towards the side and entered the house before slamming the door right in front of his face.

 

She could hear him cursing outside before his voice drowned slowly. Again, the dark haired girl sighed before turning on her heels to face the real problem. In front of her eyes, sat the woman she hated and loved, bloods flowed out of her wrist, a scar of complete abasement adorned her body from head to toe. The older female look up and met eyes with her daughter, who seemed to be un affected by the grusome scene from the outside, but in the inside, her heart was torn into small pieces. 

 

She quickly regained her conscious and stood up to meet the level of her daughter.

 

“Oh, Mirae, you’re home?” She asked, as if othing had happened. Nothing. She was smiling, from ear to ear, but it didn’t reach her sad empty eyes. A purple-ish lump was obviously seen behind the strands of hair, which was a poorly job to cover it. Not that Mirae will mind at all. Her mother’s not her business after all.

 

“I hope your eyes are not that bad to see the obvious.” Mirae replied monotonously and averted her gaze away from her mother, as if ashamed of her. Her mother’s smile faded for a while.

 

“Ah, sorry...Should I cook you something for dinner?” 

 

“I’m going out.”

 

“I-In the night?” her mother stuttered, eyes widened.”Are you sure? Mirae-ah, it’s dangerous out there. Please, stay home with me.” Her mother pleaded but of course, being the stubborn girl she is, Mirae ignored her mother and went for her room to change her clothings. 

 

After changing, she went downstairs and headed for the door. Her action was stopped by her mother who pulled on her right arm.

 

“Mirae-ah, please don’t go outside. Listen to me for just this once.” She again tried to persuade her to stay. Mirae clenched her jaws and yanked her hands back. The brunette gave the woman a look before turning back to face the door. She exited the house and closed the door with a loud slam.

 

---

 

Mirae kicked the pebbles on the road as she walked. Her feet felt sore but she continued on walking. She didn’t knew where she was going. She followed her own instinct. Because instincts are the best source to ease the pain. She smiled. The wise words of her father rang in her mind. Mirae sighed and sighed and sighed. Every footsteps burned her soles but it eased her heart. The burning pain made her heart felt at ease.

 

She finally stopped walking as she arrived in front of her destination. Mirae took a deep breath in before walking into the graveyard. She walked around the cementry as she dugged her hand into her pocket and took out a piece of paper. She look around and finally found her target. She walked closer and sat beside the tombstone.”Hello, Mister. I’m Mirae. Nice to meet you.” She greeted and bowed down. She got up and smiled. 

 

It was weird and maybe illegal to visit some random grave and talk as if the person in it was alive. But that was what Mirae liked. She felt that the person down there was as lonely as she is. As sad as she is. So she tried to comfort them by talking with them. Telling them about herself. She felt in content and happy. 

 

“Then, there was this one time I mistook myself as a boy when I was 5 years old.” Mirae laughed happily. She glanced at her wrist watch and it was already 12 in the morning. She stood up and bowed again as a sign of farewell and hoped to meet the man again. She smiled for one last time before exiting the graveyard. 

 

From afar, a pair of eyes was watching her gestures. The figure entered the graveyard and placed the bouquet of flowers on the tombstone.”Hello, grandpa. It’s me, Jongin.” He greeted and bowed down. He got up and look back towards the direction where Mirae had went.”Who was that, grandpa?” He asked the grave and a faint smile came across his face.”I think she is a nice girl, isn’t she?” He asked his late grandfather before looking back at the grave.