Remember

Remember

What if one day Byunghun came home to find out Dong and Kan ransacked his stuff? Every single linen; the pillows, cushions, sheets- all torn to shreds. He walks around the dorm examining the rubbish around him. One thing however, the one thing he NEVER EVER wanted to see destroyed... the 4-picture montage of him and Niel from a few years ago, mercilessly ripped of the metallic door. He loved that photo. Truth be told, it wasn't much different than any of the other photos they had taken, yet it was.

 

When he was off-camera with Niel there were no awkward moments, just comfortable silences. With others who weren’t his dear members or close friends L.Joe sometimes felt out of place, due to the fact he was very shy, contrary to what most people thought; but with Daniel he wasn't. That's what made their group such a success, because with each other, the six boys could be funny, outgoing, and all around confident. With anyone else he became shy and reserved.

 

L. Joe would have to remember to punish Dong and Kan later.

 

When they took those pictures he felt different. Happier, as he mimicked Niel's facial expression and shot the selca he felt pure unadulterated joy. A joy he really couldn't explain except the fact it was only felt when he was around the younger boy. He remembers that after they took that photo he had burst out laughing at the other’s inability to wink. It was single handedly one of the best pictures they had ever taken, but now it was gone. A happy memory, reduced to a few paper shreds.

 

Byunghun suddenly realizes just how old the picture is, and a small pain makes its way into his heart. Seeing that photo ripped, shredded something inside him too.

He stares at the tiny pieces of paper as his mind wanders off somewhere else.

Ever since that ugly fight, how long had it been since they last interacted, let alone taken a picture together? He couldn’t even remember what made him throw punches at Niel that night, or why the younger boy had yelled for the other members to help him instead of making any efforts to fight back. Ever since then, the two boys had become silent and distant, only speaking to each other and acting like good friends when they were in public so the fans wouldn’t be disappointed. He had no one to blame but himself, why was he such an idiot? Was he waiting for the younger boy to just come to him and act like nothing happened?

He suddenly wanted to cry and hug Niel, God, he truly did. He wanted to waltz over there right now and hug the boy so tight he lost his breath. He couldn’t just keep waiting for things to magically solve themselves, but the picture was not going to be forgotten yet. He placed it on his counter and picked up the dogs intending to take them outside, but great, he hadn’t even noticed it was already raining like the weather lady said earlier that day.

 

L. Joe would have to remember to punish Dong and Kan later.

 

Byunghun walked across the hall to Niel's shared room, knocked on the door and waited. Soon enough the younger boy came to answer it, greeting him with a blank stare which darkened his confused brown eyes. Byunghun quickly stepped forward, enveloping his friend in a tight hug.

The boy stood shocked for a moment, wondering why his hyung out of all people was suddenly acting like this. They hadn’t spoken in weeks, much less hugged, but the truth is, Niel missed Byunghun’s touch and affection. He wouldn’t admit how hurt he felt everytime he passed the older boy by the hallway. He wanted to slap him right then and there and ask, no, scream at him just what the had happened to their relationship. He wasn’t even upset at the boy for the fight anymore, he simply missed these intimate and sweet moments with him. Now, he felt weak and defenseless as he submitted to the touch he had been craving for. L. Joe could smell Niel's cologne and it was heavenly. All of a sudden he didn't care about the picture anymore, he had a thousand already taken in his mind depicting this moment. Byunghun whispered sincere apologies to his dongsaeng.

 

“I’m so sorry, Niel, I’m such an idiot. I miss hanging out with you and I regret staying silent for so long. I didn’t mean to hurt you. Please forgive me.”

Slowly, Daniel s his arms around the other's neck and pulled him close. He noticed his hyung was standing on his toes to seem taller and a small smile crept into his face. This was the Byunghun he loved, the carefree and reckless boy who wasn’t afraid to show his true emotions through both actions and words, no matter how much he and the other members would for it.

L. Joe felt Niel squeeze him gently and rest his head on his shoulder, and he suddenly realized something.

 

He loved his best friend.

It wasn't a gigantic realization, or passion exploding in his heart. More like a tiny voice in his head giggling and saying “I told you”, a gentle breeze of knowing, lightly caressing his hair (which he noticed after a second it was actually Niel’s hand). It wasn't that surprising, he knew from all the signs the boy also thought of him as something else. They had been close for so long their relationship was sort of a silent agreement neither of them had opted out of.

 

So yes, Byunghun accepted the gentle breeze of knowing.

This didn't stop him from being utterly shocked when Niel pulled back and kissed his cheek, smiling. He looked into the younger boy’s eyes again and knew they'd be ok. Things would work out.

 

L. Joe would have to remember to thank Dong and Kan later.