xiuhan + candy floss (cotton candy). for minnie!

drabbles

The state fair was, in Luhan’s opinion, no fun at all. Working there? Even less fun.

 

The sign above his head read “We fry, you buy!” They weren’t kidding. Fried Oreos, fried Snickers bars, fried ice cream. Luhan cringed every time he had to drop a basket of butter into the fryer.

 

His shift was over at 3:00pm. It was 3:15pm, and here he was, dropping another basket of butter. “Minseok!” he yelled, “I’m leaving, are you coming?” “I’ll be out in a minute. Wait for me, yeah?” Minseok called. Luhan folded his red and white striped apron and placed it underneath the counter, laying his striped hat on top. He left the fried food stand and waited, leaning against a booth selling overpriced bottles of water and underpriced bottles of soda.

 

Minseok came running out of the door to the fried food stand, crashing headfirst into Luhan. He stumbled, and Luhan reached out, grabbing his shoulders and holding him steady. “Take it easy, Min, what’s the big rush?” “Ah, I’m sorry. I took a long time, and I thought you would’ve left. Do you want to walk around the fair? We’ve still got a while until it ends!” “Well, I’m kind of tired—“ “Yeah, Luhan, it’ll be fun!”

 

They had been walking for a long time. Minseok was in awe, gazing at everything as if he didn’t see it every day he came to work. Luhan was worn out, dozing on his feet. “Luhan!” “Hey, Luhan!” “LUHAN!” Luhan jumped. “What, Minseok?” he said, sharper than intended. “Ah, I’m sorry…” Minseok mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck. “It’s just… this person is selling candy floss, and I was wondering if you wanted any. I was going to get it.” Luhan blushed. “That’s really nice of you, Min. I’m sorry for being rude. Yeah, go get some.” Minseok smiled and left; Luhan sat on a nearby bench.

 

Luhan woke to a finger poking his side. “Luhan, if you don’t wake up, I swear I’m going to put my finger up your nose.” Minseok was sitting on the bench beside him with a bag of candy floss in his hand. “There was only one bag left, but I thought we could share it. Hope you like the blue kind!” “Aren’t they all the same flavor?” Luhan mumbled, still half-asleep. “I dunno. I always thought they were different, ever since I was little.” Luhan took a chunk of candy floss and put it in his mouth, the sugar dissolving and leaving behind a sweet taste.

 

“I wonder if we could fry this back at work?” “MINSEOK, I DON’T EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT.”