The Edge of Paradise

Love Me Like You Do

a/n: ugh idk what to say about this... i feel like my writing is super clumsy and honestly i'm so bad with details

soooo idk brace yourselves for some real messy 3 am crap i guess?? haha

 

--- 

 

 "Sir! Lieutenant Kim got shot! He should arrive there any minute."

 Seokjin grabbed his radio phone from the table and pressed the speech button.

 "Got it! Do you know the location of the wound?"

 "Right leg, it seems pretty bad", Hoseok replied.

 "Thank you, I'll see what I can do."

 Seokjin's brows furrowed in concern. How could lieutenant Kim, one of the best soldiers get shot? He was known for his tough attitude and extreme survival skills. When he first joined the army, he got pretty famous for always talking back to general Min Yoongi, which one would concider very daring.

 Suddenly the curtains of the tent were pulled open. Six man came in, carrying the seventh one.

 "Hurry up, put him down on the table!" Seokjin instructed the men who quickly obeyed. Seokjin immediately started examining the man's leg.

 "Taehyung, please take off his right foot shoe and help me cut the pants", Seokjin commanded. His younger partner nodded and carefully started working on the boot. The lieutenant's face twisted in pain and he let out a low groan.

 "Jimin, get my disinfection equipments!" the doctor shouted at his other partner who came to his side only seconds later to hand him the needed utensils.

 "Please hold his leg still. Gently. Taehyung, give me the scissors and prepare the sedative shot."

 Seokjin started carefully cutting the soaked fabric. Soon he could see the bloody wound.

 "Damn it... Give me the syringe", he hissed.

 "What a-are you doing?" the man laying on the surgery table mumbled and tried to sit up, only to get held down by Seokjin.

 "I'm sorry lieutenant, but I'm gonna have to give you a sedative shot. Your leg looks pretty bad already, I wouldn't want you to hurt even more", he explained. Namjoon just stared at him when the man moved back to his feet.

 "Great. Now please hold his leg up so that the bleeding will decrease. I'll try to--"

 "You know what this means, right?" Jimin cut him off. Seokjin raised his gaze from the wound but didn't answer. "Just do as I say, okay? I'll ask for advice if I don't know what to do." He noticed how Jimin's pupils contracted for a second before he helped Taehyung with the soldier's leg.

 

 Seokjin chewed his lips nervously. After cleaning up most of the blood around the wound, he realized that the injury was worse than he had originally thought. The bullet had scraped the male's tibia and sunk very deep, almost piercing his leg.

 "Just leave it. We're gonna have to ampu--"

 "What did I say about me asking for advice, Park Jimin?" Seokjin snapped.

 "But we have to think about the patient!" Jimin retorted. The older man swallowed and exhaled heavily.

 "Listen, brat. I know you feel the need to prove me wrong with your "knowledge", but do not mix a patient into this. Exactly, right now we have to think about what's best for lieutenant Kim right here, and amputation is definitely something you should never do unless it seems like the only possible way to save the patient. Now, I'm asking you to politely be quiet and stay professional. Thank you."

 Jimin could only stare at him. He opened his mouth to say something back to his colleague but was left gaping like a fish. Even Taehyung, who was usually very loud stayed quiet during the whole argument.

 "Now please hold the flashlight while I remove the bullet", Seokjin said casually and pulled his mask over his mouth and nose.

 

---

 

 "I hope you followed well. These injuries happen often but usually  they're not this severe. Sometime you might end up saving someone from the wheelchair", the oldest medic explained in relief when the bloody bullet hit the plastic tray. "The medicine is still affecting so we should clean up the wound again and stich it up. Oh, and put some bandages around it, too. This is your field so I'll leave it to you, Jimin." Seokjin noticed how the raven tried to hide his excitement. Even though their personalities clashed at times, he found it pretty adorable how Jimin's tone was laced with authority and experience - that he didn't actually have much - when lecturing Taehyung or how his aura oozed arrogance if Seokjin gave him some bigger tasks.

 "They still have so much to learn", he thought to himself.

 

---

 

 "Good morning, Lieutenant Kim!" Seokjin greeted cheerfully and pointed the little flashlight at the said male's eyes. Namjoon groaned and and tried to shield his vision from the bright beam by covering his face with his arms.

 "You slept way longer than expected! In other news, your leg has started healing very well and you'll be tra--"

 "Woah, woah, hold on. That's way too much information for someone who'se been knocked out for..."

 "23 hours and two minutes", Seokjin confirmed.

 "Exactly."

 "Actually, would you like to have a cup of coffee?"

 

---

 

 "So, you're the one I can thank for saving my right leg and probably whole life?" the soldier said.

 "No, actually, it wasn't only me, my partners too", Seokjin explained and smiled shyly. "But honestly, sir... I'm very honored to be taking care of you." Namjoon didn't miss the blush that crept on the medic's cheecks. He chuckled and took another sip of his coffee.

 "Just call me Namjoon. No need to be so formal... Seokmin, was it... ?"

 "Seokjin", he corrected. "But Jin is what others usually call me here."

 "Jin..." Namjoon thought, not realizing he was actually saying it aloud, making Seokjin feel all flustered and fuzzy inside.

 "So, as I was trying to tell you earlier... You're going to be transferred to the private section of the army headquarters later today", he said, trying to keep his voice from cracking while checking the blood bag connected to Namjoon's arm.

 "Oh... Only today? You'd think they would've done it yesterday already."

 "Yeah, usually they would but the enemy forces retreated yesterday and your wound was in bad condition. It sill is, but it's clearly starting to heal up." Namjoon bit his lip.

 "Do you think it will heal completely or... ?" he let the rest of the sentence fade into air. Seokjin sighed and sat on the edge of the bed.

 "Honestly, yes. I'm not saying this just to give you hope or because I feel pity towards you. I don't. I know you're a very strong person. I can see that", he said, but realized that he was getting off-topic. "It's going to be just fine. Since you're young, it will heal up well. Although, the injury will probably resurface at later age. When you're, like, very old. You'll probably have to use crutches for a longer while, but no need to worry at all", the medic explained and smiled reassuringly. "Which reminds me, how old were you again?"

 "I'm turning 21 this year", the younger - as it seemed - answered, his grin almost reaching his ears. Seokjin could only blink in disbelief.

 "No way you're younger than me! It can't be possible!" he almost yelled.

 "Apparently it is", Namjoon laughed.

 

---

 

 "Do you really want to get yourself killed so badly?" Jin retorted. "You have to be careful with that leg, Namjoonie!"

 For fome reason, Seokjin had started calling him Namjoonie...

 "Yes, Jin hyung... No need to act like my mother."

... And he called Seokjin Jin hyung. But neither of them seemed to mind, so they continued, even though it felt way too awkward at first.

 "You lost a lot of blood yesterday. Remember what I told you! D.E.S - drink, eat, sleep", the doctor repeated, probably for the 5th time that day.

 "Sounds more than fine to me", Namjoon sighed. But Seokjin noticed the slight melancholy in his eyes. He knew how much Namjoon wanted to stay with his friends at the battlefield. "But this is for the best", Seokjin thought.

 "Um... hyung", Namjoon said quietly, snapping the elder out of his thoughts. "We will meet again, right?"

 Seokjin chewed his lower lip. He definitely didn't want this to be the last time they talk to eachother.

 "We sure will", he chuckled, trying to hide the slight nervousness in the back of his mind.

 They stared into eachother's eyes in silence until three men in camouflage uniforms approached them. They helped Namjoon lay down on the stretcher so they could carry him into the helicopter they came in earlier.

 Seokjin didn't know what got into him, because right before the men started carrying him to the vehicle, he shouted;

 "Wait!"

 He got down a little bit so that he was on Namjoon's level.

 "What is it, hyung?" Seokjin bit his lip and gave Namjoon a longing stare.

 "Nothing, sorry. Forget it."

 And the disappointed look on Namjoon's face haunted him in his sleep.

 

---

 

A year later

 

 Seokjin fixed his scarf in front of the full-lenght mirror in his hall. Taking a final look at his reflection, he headed to the door.

 He didn't expect a familiar-looking man with bleached hair to be standing at his porch. He seemed like he was just about to knock on the door before Seokjin opened it.

 Namjoon looked up, pupils constricted in surprise. They stared at eachother in shock, taking in the other's appearance.

 "C-come in", the older finally managed to mumble and moved to let the soldier in. They kicked off their shoes at the doormat.

 "Were you planning to go somewhere? Because I can come back later", Namjoon rambled nervously while following Seokjin to what turned out to be his living room.

 "No, no, i-it's... Okay. Just... Grocery shopping", the brunet answered and let out a forced laugh.

 They stood in silence, neither knowing what to say. It was starting to feel seriously uncomfortable, so Seokjin relied on playing with his fingers and staring at the carpet.

 "Well, should we get going?"

 Seokjin looked up in confusion.

 "W-where exactly?" he stuttered.

 "You said you had to go to the grocery store, right?"

 "Oh."

 

---

 

 To be completely honest, Jin had never felt that uneasy before in his life. At first they just walked in silence, but before either of them noticed, they were chatting casually, just like a year ago when they first met.

 "What should we make?" the older of the two wondered aloud when they were walking through the aisles.

 "'We'?" Namjoon repeated. The brunet blushed heavily.

 "Well it's not like I'm gonna invite you to my place and eat by myself", he explained.

 "But you didn't even invite me...."

 "Except I just did."

 Namjoon was left staring at Seokjin's back when the older strolled around the store. It was the latter's turn to grin in amusement.

 

---

 

 "Oh my God, Namjoon! I said three teaspoons, not tablespoons! Now it's going to taste like gochujang..." Seokjin scolded the younger who just scratched his nape in embarrassment.

 "I'm sorry, hyung! I told you I'm not good at cooking!"

 The brunet just scoffed and turned back to the stove where the rice was boiling.

 "Hyung~ I'm really, really sorry", he could hear the other man whining but decided to ignore him. Silence filled the kitchen again, excluding the sound of the water boiling.

 Seokjin gasped when he felt Namjoon's body press against his back. The younger wrapped his arms around his waist and hugged him close.

 "Please forgive me, hyung", he murmured right next to the older's ear. Jin felt his muscles stiffen.

 "Okay I will, just don't squeeze me to death!" the latter complained. He felt Namjoon grin against his neck before backing away.

 

---

 

 "Well, it's not as bad as I expected..."

 "See? I'm such a great cook", the younger laughed, causing the older to roll his eyes.

 "Sure, whatever you say", Seokjin sighed, but Namjoon noticed the small grin on his red lips. They continued eating in comfortable silence. At some point though, Seokjin looked up and noticed that Namjoon looked very puzzled, brows furrowed.

 "Just spit it out, Namjoonie", he said, making the younger flinch in surprise.

 "W-What do you mean, hyung?"

 "You know what I mean."

 Namjoon set his chopsticks on the plate in front of him.

 "Well, I was just wondering..." he started and swallowed when their eyes met. "I was wondering why you never came to visit me in the hospital."

 Seokjin blinked. He could feel the tension from earlier return. He also put down his chopsticks and swallowed the rice in his mouth before speaking up.

 "I... Uh... I had a girlfriend."

 It hit Namjoon like a truck. His breath got caught in his throat.

 "Had?"

 "Yes. We broke up after I returned from the battlefield, which was months after you were transferred to the army headquarters. Still, I went to the hospital knowing that you couldn't be there anymore. I was hoping they could give me some information, like, contacts, and they did. I got your phone number", Seokjin explained while rubbing his thighs. Namjoon felt like he hadn't finished yet so he didn't speak up but let the older continue.

 "But... I just felt so anxious. It eats me up everyday. Even now. I just felt like... If I called you, it would seem too clingy. And I tried to convince myself that it's not true, you missed me too. That it was just my mind trying to fool me, like always. But then one day, I saw you. I couldn't believe it at first. I had to pinch myself, just in case I was dreaming again. You were there, sitting in a café. But you weren't alone. There was... A girl. She was so, so pretty and the way you smiled... Oh God, I will never forget it. That moment I just knew that I have to let you go and move on."

 The younger didn't know what to say, so he just stared. It made Seokjin feel uncomfortable, feeling the other's gaze on him.

 "Seokjin, I--"

 "No, you don't have to... I know that you must already have someone who you like a lot", the older cut him off. Panic grew inside him when he felt tears starting to roll down his porcelain cheeks, so he tried to brush it off by letting out an awkward laugh.

 Namjoon noticed that he was crying and quickly got up to go to his side. He kneeled on the floor in front of the brunet and held his face with both hands. The blond used his thumbs to wipe away his tears.

 "I do, actually", he whispered. "And that person is you." Seokjin's eyes widened upon hearing the words. Namjoon his lips nervously and moved his face closer to the other's. 

Before he could even register his own actions, their lips were gently moving together. And when he felt Seokjin grab his shirt collar to deepen the kiss, he couldn't even care anymore and let himself sink into the mess of feelings. He gently bit Seokjin's bottom lip, making him moan. Namjoon used the chance to push his tongue into the older's mouth, who tried to hold back his sounds. The kiss was turning more and more heated by a second, so they both seemed to agree that it was better to stop here before things would turn awkward.
 "I-I like you too, Namjoon", the older muttered when they parted. His eyes were still watery, making the blond grin.
 "I'm so happy to hear that..."

---

 Namjoon ended up staying for the night. Seokjin still hadn't gotten rid of the king sized bed he used to sleep in with his girlfriend. They laid under the sheets, limbs tangled. The heat was suffocating, but neither one of them had the will to get up and open the window. Afraid that the affectionate moment would be over, Seokjin didn't dare to move a single inch. Namjoon noticed how tense the older was.

 "Hyung, relax. I won't go anywhere - now that I have you", he whispered as he nuzzled Jin's hair with his face, pressing a small peck on his temple.

 Seokjin closed his eyes and let out a breath he didn't even realize he'd been holding. His mind started drifting, and soon the touches felt distant and nonexistent.

 And just like that, Seokjin fell asleep in Namjoon's arms, feeling the most content he'd felt for months.

 

---

 

THIS IS SO BAD IM SORR Y omg

 

maybe i should write a sequel to make up the crappiness