-3-

Are you happy?

I think it’s just you. I tried smiling to her and she rolled her eyes. The librarian definitely does not like me. Maybe you have a special charm.

Last night I dreamt of this book. The weird storyline and the characters are starting to haunt me.

Bin


How do you see yourself in 10 years? Are you stressed about the future?

Chan


I want to be a photographer. I still don’t know why I’m studying business. I’m not stressed. I’m just…I don’t know, a little apprehensive of growing up. What about you?

Bin


I don’t have a dream. And I’m terrified. Just thinking of next month makes me terrified.

Chan


That’s a little depressing.

I truly hope you find a dream. Something that makes you passionate.

Bin


I don’t understand but somehow it’s easy to talk to you. I don’t even know what you look like and here I am talking about future and dreams.

Chan


Does what we look like matter? I don’t care about what you look like. I care about what you have inside. And strangers are the best confidents, most of the time :)

Bin


«Junghwannie!» said someone, interrupting Hongbin and Junghwan’s Wednesday study session. The stranger was tall and handsome, and he seemed to know Junghwan. He was also talking way too loud in the library, which made the librarian stare at them with her usual glare.

«Hi, Hakyeon hyung» said Junghwan.

The boy with sun kissed skin sat next to Junghwan. Hongbin bit his lip. Hakyeon was very good looking.

«I told Dad I would go pick up Sanghyuk at his baseball practice, but something happened and I can’t. Chansik is there, do you think you could go pick them up?» asked the stranger, Hakyeon, to Junghwan.

«Of course hyung» said Junghwan. Hakyeon got up from his chair, introduced himself to Hongbin and walked away.

«You don’t have any classes this afternoon, right? Wanna come?» asked Junghwan, and Hongbin raised an eyebrow.

«Where? Who are they?» asked Hongbin. It wasn’t a bad thing that he would get closer to Junghwan, because he was a fun guy to be around but Hongbin wanted to stay in the library. He was waiting for Chan. He was dying to know who he was. They had been talking for what, 6 days? Hongbin was about to go crazy. He hated mysteries.

«Hakyeon hyung is my best friend’s stepbrother. And his brother has a baseball practice this afternoon. We could go watch, what do you think? My best friend Chansik will be there» said Junghwan with a smile. It wouldn’t be a bad thing for Hongbin to make more friends. He couldn’t follow Wonsik around all the time; Wonsik had his own friends, Hongbin couldn’t just follow him around all the time, plus he’d like to get friends with different interests, he didn’t have much in common with Wonsik. He couldn’t always stay hidden in his books either.

«Okay. Sure» agreed Hongbin. 


The weather had suddenly gone back to the usual cold temperature. It was officially the end of the summer, and it made Hongbin a little sad. Hongbin shivered as the cold wind hit his face. Junghwan was texting on his phone, and Hongbin just looked around.

His gaze met a handsome boy sitting further away, looking at his phone. His chocolate hair was almost hiding his eyes and he had broad shoulders. He was wearing jeans and a hoodie. Hongbin swore he never saw someone so attractive in his whole life. Hongbin wasn’t usually attracted to people that much. He could recognize if someone was handsome, but never once did he think ‘I would give anything to make him mine’ before.

The boy looked up directly at Hongbin.

Or maybe he was looking at Junghwan, because he waved, and Junghwan waved back. The boy with chubby cheeks was already walking away, and Hongbin was frozen in place.

He could definitely not go there. His heart was beating way too fast and he felt as if he would mess up.

Junghwan turned around. He was halfway there, and he was frowning.

Hongbin took a big breath and slowly walked up to him.

«Sorry, zoned out» he lied. He was embarrassed. Not once did he fall for a stranger before. They walked up to the boy, Hongbin guessed he was Junghwan’s best friend, Chansik. The boy smiled, and Hongbin felt his heart melting. He had such a genuine, nice eye smile. His smile was mesmerizing.

Junghwan sat next to the boy, signing things with his hands. Hongbin watched him with curiosity. The other boy was answering with signs too, and Hongbin didn’t understand. Why were they doing that? Was it a best friend code or something?

«Hongbin, this is my best friend, Gong Chansik» said Junghwan. Hongbin bowed slightly.

«Nice to meet you» he said, and the stranger signed something to Junghwan after attentively watching Hongbin lips as he was talking.

«He says it’s nice to meet you too» said Junghwan, and suddenly Hongbin understood.

The handsome boy was deaf.


At this point I should just spill out all of my secrets to you, no?

Chan