Chapter 01

Blank Pages on My Books

“Hey, what are you going to do after you graduate?”, My friend asked me as he munch the bread that he bought at the foodcourt.

 

“Dunno, never really think about it”, I drink my strawberry milk nonchalantly.

 

“With that active brain of yours? Geez, what a liar”, he pouted and giving me that annoyed look, still chewing a mouthful of bread inside.

 

“Just gulped that down first, your cheeks looked like it’s about to explode”

 

“Whatever, bro”, he gulped those bread down as he open his bottle to drink.

 

The sky was clear that day. At school we always hanging out at the rooftop, me and this nosy brat. I wonder why there is no other students resting on the rooftop, despite the coziness of this spot. The breeze felt so good up here, and it’s not that hot since we are staying behind the shades of the storage room that are located near the stairs. I could hear the soccer club’s couach shouting commands loudly down there, along with some swearing that are managed to be caught by my ears. Well, rather than living my youth by doing sports, i prefer to conserved my energy by resting and using it up when needed only. I leaned towards the balcony gate as i watched those youngsters pouring their sweats on the field from up here.

 

“Hey, it’s almost 4 o’clock already. I better prepare myself for the part-time job soon”, said Wynston as he checked the time from his watch.

 

“Well, you better go. School is over already few hours ago, and it’s not like we’re doing anything important up here”, I finished my strawberry milk as i throw the box into the trash can next to me, “Yep, three points.”

 

“Duh, not that far to make it worth three points”, He scoffed at me as he grabbed his backpack and tidied up his shirt, “Anyway, Let’s chat through our phone tonight, ok? So much things that i want to talk about, and it’s been a while since we talked about things.”

 

“Just go and earn those bucks, you are giving me goosebumps”, i smack his back, “I wonder whether you’re acting this way when you’re at your workplace”

 

“Like what?”, he asked with that blank expression of his.

 

“Like some annoying high school girl that always being cheesy and noisy and flashy and blah blah”, I nagged, “Whatever, not that i care about it.”

 

“you looked really cute when you nag like an oldman”, Wynston smirked as he added, “Well, our manager said that i have to act like a true gentleman as we serve our master and mistress that are coming to our cafe, things like that.”

 

“Yeah, that butler cafe. Seems like a horrible place to hang out for me, with all those cheesy attitude”, I replied him nonchalantly.

 

“Aww, don’t be such a stiff old man, now. you know you like it, haha”, he flicked my forehead as he giggled and dashed towards the stairs

 

“What’s that for, you brat?!”, I yelled at him as i rubbed the spots where he flicked at.

 

“Nothing. Oh, look.”, He raised his right hand that are grabbing the crippled paperbag and throw it right into the trash can next to me, which is quite far from his standing place, “Now that’s three points, bro. Bye~”

 

Just when i’m about to swear at him, he’s already running away down the stairs with a loud step. Such a show off, that brat. Well, no matter how you looked at him, he’s that annoying and popular type that always attract people around him like a magnet. He used to be basketball team’s captain last year, so that kind of accuracy when he throw the trash is just as expected. He’s also able to work at the butler cafe thanks to his looks and build, upon my recommendation. He said that he needs a part-time job that pays well and not a shady job, so i just merely told him about the info i got from the net. When i asked about the reason he looked for a job, given that he comes from a wealthy family where money is not a problem, he’s just being secretive and tell me that i’ll know why soon. Well, i’ve known him since we’re in junior high, and unlike his carefree attitude, he always got everything planned few steps ahead. I’m sure he’s just doing what he has to do as he planned, in order to achieve his goal. I think I need to dug further about this.

 

I just sighed and continue watching others on the field, spending that afternoon at the school’s rooftop. The school’s clock already pointed at 4.30 when the bell chimed.

 

“Well, i think i’ll go home for now.”

 

Unlike Wynston, my part-time job is not really like a job. I only help my grandpa managing his bookstore, ordering some new books and do some delivering if there is some order from customer. This is the least i can do to help him. People at school know about this already, and they often asked for my help when they need to buy some books.

 

I’ve been living with my grandpa since i was young, my parents leaving me into my grandpa’s care years ago. They said that they can’t support me much if i were to join them traveling around. Until this point of my life, i still do not know what did they do for living. Heck, my grandpa is the one that paid for my school fee since i was junior high. My parents? Dunno, maybe they’re just struggling to cover their own expenses, not that i really want to think about them, anyway.

 

I really want to help my grandpa by doing some other job, but he’s not allowed me to get a job. He said that i should just enjoy my youth and study hard. My first priority after i graduate is helping out my grandpa for now. i don’t need anything else, as long as my grandpa is healthy and well. He’s already at that age where he should take a rest and enjoy the rest of his life. Instead, he still working and tried his best to make a living for us. He once said that he would feel lonely without me and those books around him. I also develop reading habit since young, thanks to grandpa’s influence.

 

Just when i’m about to go home, i could felt the vibration of my phone inside my pocket. I grabbed my phone as i checked the incoming message in the chatroom.

 

“I’m at the cafe already. Seems it’s not that crowded today, if this keeps up i think i can go home early today~” – 16.34

“I’ll poke you again once i’m finished, since we promised to chat a lot right? (^^)d” – 16.34

“About our future plan, for example. Hehe :3” – 16.34

“Oh, i heard it from our homeroom teacher that you got your notification letter from that university already, regarding your scholarship” – 16.35

“Since it’s you, it must be full coverage, right? Hoho, as expected from my bro ***\(^ ^)” – 16.35

 

I sighed as i replied to his chat,

 

“so noisy... just focus on your butler thingy for now (= =) talk to you later.” – 16.36

 

I put my phone back to my left pocket, and pull out the letter that he talked about from another pocket, “Thanks for reminding me about this letter, Wynston”

 

I reopen the envelope as i read the contents again outloud, “Dear Mr. Oliver Haryong, along with this letter we would like to announce your scholarship type that you got based on the test that you’ve went through. We are really happy to inform you that you are qualified for the full coverage from G University, more details as follows, bla bla bla, bla bla bla, thank you”, with an uninterested attitude.

 

I smiled as i folded the letter back and grabbed it in my hands,

 

“Heh, so much for a future plan...”,

 

And ripped the letter into smaller pieces, to the unreadable extent.

 

“Such luxuries is not for me to enjoy”

 

I let the wind blew all of it away from my hands, falling down from the rooftop’s balcony in pieces like a fading snow.