I'll Protect Us

Blinded

Baekhyun

 

What have I done? 

 

I am an idol, I should have known better. I should have known the reporters would find us.

 

I feel disgusted at myself. I have ruined not just my name but EXO's as well. With Kris, Luhan and Tao leaving, our group has been in a terrible position, so bad that we stress every day. Now sitting in the office with our boss, I know I have created a deeper hole; a new wound in the body. 

 

"Byun Baekhyun, Kim Taeyeon," He begins in his serious, stern voice, "What the hell have you guys done?" Yes. What the hell have I done? My head sinks deeper into my folded arms, a layer of sweat building on my forehead.

 

"Do you know what position you are in?! Why the hell would you do this when you are already so low?!" He slams a piece of document onto the table. Taeyeon beside me winces but I stay unfazed. 

 

"Byun Baekhyun! Are you listening?! You are breaking my company!" I hear every word. In fact, each word rings in my ear and replays in my mind. I have done a sin as a star. Now I regret everything.

 

"Kim Taeyeon. Why did you do it?" He questions but his voice is softer compared to when he screams at me. All the idols in the entertainment would know how biased Lee Soo Man is towards Taeyeon, the princess of kpop. The queen? No way. That was saved for Boa and Lee Hyori. The various opportunities she gains compared to us who train under harsh teachers. While she's prancing in Japan, we others are tired and sleep deprived.

 

"I needed to go out but I didn't want to go alone so I asked Baekhyun-ssi to come with me. B-but," She sniffs, water appearing in the crest of her eyes. , I already knew where this would lead to. 

 

"He forced a kiss on me," she whines, sobbing into her hands. Come again? I forced a kiss? Last night, if I remember correctly, you, Kim Taeyeon, asked me to go out to test your new car for a while with you but in the end, we kissed with your car pulled up at the side of the road. We, not me. To think I fell for her - I feel like a total idiot.

 

Mr. Lee glances at me, his eyes boring into mine. When he stares at me, it makes all the nerves in me tighten and my heart clench.

 

"Is this true?" Look at the dam photo in front of us, magnified on the big projector. Does it look like I'm forcing a kiss on her?

 

"No sir." I won't lie. I'm going to protect my honesty, Taeyeon and the media can lie all they want. I know the truth and I intend to let him know.

 

He fixes his glasses, moving closer towards, his hands interlocked. I gulp, feeling more nervous than presenting myself in front of a hundred thousand fans. This is my boss here who could fire me within a second. Actually, it probably would take longer but most should get my point.

 

 He sighs as if releasing his troubles. "Baekhyun, I believe you." 

 

Baekhyun, I believe you.

 

Baekhyun, I believe you. The words repeat in my mind and when I finally take it in, my eyes widen. Did he just side with me?

 

"Soo Man!" Taeyeon screeches, jumping from her seat. Boss glares at her, a sight I never thought I would ever see.

 

"Kim Taeyeon, don't think lying to your boss will slide pass," he declares which makes the girl shut up. She sits back down as if admitting defeat, pouting like a child throwing a tantrum. He looks back at me which makes my heart skip a beat.

 

"But," his voice raises. Here comes the part I expected.

 

"You know you have done wrong and in the entertainment world, the slightest mistakes can make the biggest impact." I know this. He is quoting from the book of rules which came along with our SM contract. I know the consequences of things like this. 

 

"EXO has lost too much stock and I cannot waste any more money on risk which are not a hundred percent definite. The media will obviously not go along with this so I sadly cannot help you on this," he says, adding an exhale at the end to prove how stressful this topic was. If the boss had to sigh more than once, it was clear that this matter was serious. Luhan, Kris and Tao had already taken more than 40% of our given money so they could debut meaning we, the remaining 9 members, only have 60 out of a 100% left. It is unfair which I have to agree upon but they were our friends and past members. They chose to leave us and we can't stop them. They wanted better lives so when we heard their stories there was no way we couldn't let them go.

 

"Yes, I understand," I reluctantly agree. I can't do anything about the media but there must be other ways to fix this. I wasn't going to let EXO be broken because of me. Our slogan 'We Are One' may have been ruined but Suho, Kai, Sehun, Chanyeol, Xiumin, Lay, Chen, D.O and I are still in it and we won't give up to the end. We will be the new 'We Are One.' As long as we have fans, we will fight.

 

"I know how determined you are about EXO so listen close," he warns me. I feel touched that he recognises my determination. I always thought he was biased towards certain idols but turns out he is different. I move in closer, leaning my ear in.

 

"They found you in a regrettable moment -- that I can't fix. What has happened has happened. So all I can do for you is make you stay low. Don't go out, keep away from social media and only be in view of reporters when all EXO members are present. Stay away from Taeyeon and don't reply to comments. I will reject all offers to you which does not have to do with EXO," he lists his ideas. I take down mental notes in my mind. Stay in the dorm, keep away from Taeyeon and social media and only be present at vital performances when all of EXO should be present. Okay, taken down.

 

I nod my head, signalling I understand. He too bobs his head but with a proud grin, patting my back as a sign of comfort. 

 

"Well done, Byun Baekhyun. Make me proud. You can leave now," he tells me pointing towards the door. I eagerly nod, strolling towards the double, wooden doors. I want to get out of the office for a breather: t 's making me feel hazy from all the tension. As I am leaving, he calls out towards me.

 

"Kim Taeyeon, come back here and sit down," he commands. I turn around and see Taeyeon trailing behind me. She groans but trudges towards one of the leather, black seats. I actually feel joy seeing her being reprimanded. I can't believe that I agreed to the dating in secret thing. 

 

I give my last bow to Mr. Lee before closing the door shut. Something releases out of me. I guess from the moment I heard the news at 3am in the morning until just a moment ago I was worrying over the news. 

 

"Baekhyun!" I hear my name. I turn towards the direction of the voice to see Chanyeol, Kai, Lay and Suho. Guilt hits me hard when I realise they were panting. They must have been worried too.

 

"How was it? What happened?" I get bombarded with questions. They surround me, making me squashed in the middle. I don't know if I enjoy this awkward position but I'm happy they care about me. They don't even question my actions but rather how I feel. 

 

"It's all okay now. Just have to stay low from the media," I explain it in a short summary. Their shoulders drop as they sigh in unison. It is amazing how connected EXO is.

 

"I better tell the rest of the gang," Suho says, grabbing his phone from the back pocket, sending a message to presumably the other boys. When he sends the post, my phone vibrates along with the other members' as well. He must have sent it in the group chat.

 

I open the chat to see notes from D.O, Xiumin, Sehun and Chen, asking about how I am. The guilt hits me harder. To ease their stress, I reply to them.

 

'I'm sorry. I will protect EXO better in the future.' 

 

 

 


 

Chapter 2 goes to Byun Baekhyun! I swear I have nothing against these two. Both of them are absolutely amazing artist and Baekhyun is one of my biases. So, tomorrow is my birthday! Woohoo! Feeling great! Assignments! Yes! Bai. 

Xoxo, Exoinpire