vernon/dahyun | date crashers

i wanna be your morning, baby | a seventeen x twice collection

date crashers

vernon/dahyun

g, 1408w

life is interesting with kim dahyun as your next door neighbor.

 

 

Somehow, it is Hansol who always gets dragged along on something like this. He doesn't know if he's too soft-hearted, or just weak, or just plain stupid. Either way, he's stuck with his next door neighbor yet again (not that she's a pain to be around - well, most of the time), but this time he's donned suspiciously in a pair of shades, a baseball cap, and a hoodie. He doesn't know why Dahyun even thought that this was okay and the definition of "stealth." In his humble opinion, their outfits (Dahyun's wearing a leather jacket in the middle of June, for heaven's sake) are quite the opposite of stealth. They wouldn't even need to be stealthy if they were just back at one of their houses doing homework like they're supposed to be doing. But he digresses.

It all started yesterday, when Dahyun came running to his house, ringing his doorbell exactly seven and a half times before he opened his front door, an amused smile on his lips. She stopped her index finger mid-push in front of the doorbell button, giving him an apologetic glance. 

"What are you doing," he had said, almost monotone, but he was actually trying to hold back a laugh because of how ridiculously worked up she looked.

"Just, well, you know," she stuttered, the words not forming cohesive sentences in her head. "Just -" She grabbed his arm and dragged him backward into his house, like she was an elephant knocking down a tree. He'd always known she was strong, but well, sometimes she went a little overboard.

They were sitting on the couch now, with Dahyun's voice lowered down to a whisper. "Guess what."

"What?"

"Nayeon is going on her first date tomorrow afternoon!" Her eyes lit up. Was it even possible for someone's eyes to be that...bright?

He blinked. "Okay."

"Aren't you excited?!" A dramatic pause. "It's with Jisoo, you know, that American oppa down the street? Joshua. I knew something was going on," she swooned.

"Well, tell them I say congrats," Hansol replied, not quite knowing where she was going with this.

"Okay, so meet me at my house tomorrow at 4 and we will get our plan rolling."

"What plan?"

She had an alarmingly devious smile on her face. "You'll see."

 

 

 

 

 

So yes, that's the story of how Dahyun dragged Hansol into going to a movie theater to stalk Nayeon and Jisoo on their first date. Great, Hansol thinks, adjusting the sun glasses on the bridge of his nose. 

"Remind me why we're doing this again?"

"Well," Dahyun flutters her eyelashes obnoxiously. "Well, it's the American oppa, right? Just in case he speaks English, I totally want to know what he's saying. After all, Nayeon is the closest person to a big sister that I have, okay? You can be my translator. Please? This is a really big deal."

Hansol furrows his eyebrows. "Come on, he's not gonna use English when he's talking with Nayeon. He's obviously just gonna use Korean." He makes a move to leave, only to be reeled back in by Dahyun's strong grip on his forearm. Dang it, Dahyun.

"Please? I mean, I bought the movie tickets already. It's the same movie that they're watching," Dahyun resignedly flashes the two tickets in her hand.

There's something about that pout on her lips that makes him weak in the knees. Gosh, he's so weak today. "Okay, fine," he sighs. "I'll pay for the popcorn and drinks though."

She almost suffocates him with a bear hug. "Thanks, Hansol," she mumbles into his hoodie.

He freezes. "Yeah, okay," he says. "The pink streak in your hair is way too obvious though. They'll know at once that it's you."

She crinkles her nose. "I know you like it though. It's eccentric," she declares, pulling him toward the cinema.

 

 

 

 


Now Hansol is next to Dahyun in a dark movie theater, one row right behind Jisoo and Nayeon. Those two must be very into each other to be so oblivious to the fact that they're trailing their date, what with Dahyun accidentally knocking over someone's Coke and Hansol yelping as he tripped over someone's feet. Yup, they must really like each other, then. He guesses they're kind of cute.

He's staring at the backs of their heads, observing as they talk quietly and share laughs during the (annoying) movie previews. Hansol then turns to stare incredulously as Dahyun whips out a pair of binoculars. 

"What the heck, Dahyun," he whispers. "Why would you even need those?"

"I was just testing them out," she assures him, putting them back away in her backpack. He rolls his eyes. This is going to be a long two hours.

On the bright side, the movie is kind of good and the popcorn at least is the perfect kind of buttery. Dahyun falls asleep three quarters of the way through and he doesn't even have the heart to wake her up because then at least he's spared the periodic squeals whenever she thinks something's going to happen between Nayeon and Jisoo. Nothing ever really does, and he totally knew that it was going to be that way, considering that both Nayeon and Jisoo are quite shy when it comes to this romantic stuff. He doesn't know how he knows, but it's just a feeling.

Dahyun wakes up a few minutes before the movie ends so that they can sneak out of the theater and wait outside for their two lovebirds. He sighs. There was really no point to trailing them to their movie date, considering nothing juicy happened. Not that he even cares whether anything juicy happens, that is.

 

 

 

 


When the two older teens emerge from the movie theater, Hansol watches as they seem to be discussing whether to walk home or roam about the side streets a little more. They decide to wander around a little, Jisoo's hands shoved handsomely into his jean pockets, Nayeon's hand moving to play with her hair as she walks awkwardly next to him. It's all kind of a pretty scene, he admits, even though they're awkward.

"Quick, they're getting away!" Dahyun tells him, gesturing Hansol to follow her as they creep behind them, occassionally hiding behind a street food stand. One time Dahyun even tries to hide behind a fire extinguisher. She even rubs off on Hansol because one time he tries to find refuge behind a measly tin can randomly resting on the sidewalk. He may or may not be going crazy.

Eventually, though, Hansol and Dahyun lose them. It's his fault, he guesses, for getting tempted by those stands that serve meat on skewers. And dukbokki. And stuff like that. It's around dinner hour by the time they got out of the movie theater, and popcorn isn't exactly stomach-filling, he argues when Dahyun chastises him. (In the end though, apparently her stomach is the way to her heart because she soon joins him in stuffing food in , binoculars tossed forgotten into her backpack. He says she owes him a meal, for dragging him out to her escapade. She just huffs a "fine, okay" in between bites.)

 

 

 

 

 

By the time he walks her home, it's 7 in the evening, streetlight illuminating the pink streak in her hair (and fine, she's right, he sort of likes it). Right in front of her porch, Dahyun starts breaking out into a fit of giggles.

He gapes at her incredulously (this seems to be a trend today). "What?"

"Sorry, I'm just," she's trying to regain her breath, "It's funny to me that we even did all that and then we lost them. Because of food. So typical of us."

He rolls his eyes. "It's pretty funny to me that we even followed them out to their date in the first place. We wasted 3 hours of our lives!"

"Oh, come on, it wasn't a waste. We saw a good movie and ate yummy food." She tilts her chin defiantly.

Hansol just shrugs, wordlessly tossing her denim backpack to her. "Whatever, I'll be going now."

And as he turns around, he swears he hears Dahyun say softly (teasingly), "It was also sort of like a mini-date. So it wasn't a waste of time, right?"

He catches himself smiling. No, he decides. It wasn't a waste of time. As ridiculous as the whole scenario was, at least it was interesting. At least Dahyun is interesting. 

"By the way," she calls out behind him. "I listened to your mixtape like, approximately 23456 times. I KNOW I'M ONLY SEVENTEEN, I ONLY GOT A FEW DOLLARS," she unashamedly shouts in her accented English. "You're really good - oh, I forgot to take my underwear out of the laundry, see ya at school!" He hears the door slam.

Uh, yeah, maybe that's an understatement. 

 

 


Author's Note: for Jamie (rough-waters) - she requested this :) hope you like it! I might write a corresponding Jisoo/Nayeon POV story.

Anyway, I'm still open for requests for any Seventeen/Sixteen pairings <33