Chapter 13

Haircuts and Glasses

I stumbled back until my back was touching the door. “Wh-what are you doing here? How did you get in here!”

 

“You forgot to lock your door.” Shindong’s voice came from my right. I looked over to see him eating one of the fruits from the basket Kangin gave me.

 

“You should be more careful next time.” Leeteuk stood up and walked over to me. “You talk to the bartender yet?”

 

I stared at him for a moment then cleared my throat a little. “Y-yes, I did.”

 

“Good! Where are you two going to meet?”

 

“The festival in five days…he’ll be serving alcohol. I’ll pull him aside when he has a break. I told him I have something to tell him.”

 

“Make sure you take him to an area where there are very little people around. We don’t want any witnesses, okay?”

 

I nodded a little, keeping my gaze lowered.

 

“Wow, you’ve done a great job so far!” Leeteuk smiled. “You’re such a diligent worker.”

 

I didn’t know how to respond, so I said nothing.

 

“Hm, so we have five days.” Leeteuk looked at Shindong. “What shall we do in the meantime?”

 

Shindong was quiet for a moment. “…there is some business that I want to finish as well. It’s not just you.”

 

Leeteuk raised an eyebrow. “Oh? What’s that?”

 

“Don’t you remember the people who tied me down and stopped me from being able to help you carry out your plan?”

 

“Ah yes…the bounty hunter and the barber.”

 

My eyes widened and I looked from Leeteuk to Shindong.

 

“Yeah. I want them dead.” Shindong said bluntly.

 

“H-hey, you can’t do that!” I said a bit loudly.

 

Leeteuk kept his eyes on Shindong. “That’s a bit harsh, isn’t it? We agreed to eliminate the bartender only, didn’t we?”

 

“Why stop with him? Let’s carry out full revenge.”

 

I shook my head. “No!”

 

Leeteuk finally turned to me. “Are they important to you?”

 

“The barber just gave me a job!”

 

“Oh did he? How nice of him.” Leeteuk grinned. “What kind of job is it?”

 

“Hair washer.”

 

“That’s good for business.”

 

Shindong’s eyes narrowed. “Leeteuk, I really think we should eliminate everyone who caused us all our time in prison.”

 

“Now Shindong, wait a minute. We already asked Jill to do one task, and since she completed it in such a reasonable amount of time, we should consider her wishes.”

 

Shindong didn’t respond.

 

“So, let’s go after the bartender, and, since Jill just got a job under the barber, we won’t touch him.”

 

“What about the bounty hunter?”

 

Leeteuk was silent for a moment. “…if he happens to cross your path, do whatever you want. He’s not my concern.”

 

Shindong nodded softly after a moment and finished the piece of fruit he was eating.

 

“Anyway, glad we could catch up like this, but we have to go now.” Leeteuk grabbed his hat and put it on. “Thank you again for getting your task completed in such a reasonable time. As long as nothing else needs to be tended to, we’ll see you in five days.” Leeteuk motioned Shindong to follow him and the both of them opened the door to my apartment.

 

“Have a good night sleep.” Leeteuk waved at me and closed the door.

 

I stood in place staring at the door for a long time. Then I let out a small sigh and collapsed onto my bed.

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning, I opened the door to my apartment and squinted into the rising sunlight. I got very little sleep the night before and I honestly wasn’t in the mood to do any kind of work. But I made a promise and I had to fulfill on it. I walked through the other apartments and shops until I got the main part of town. I could see the sheriff standing outside of the saloon leaning against the doors with his arms crossed and his gaze moving from side to side, keeping watch on the couple of townspeople in the area.

 

“Good morning.” I bowed a little as I neared the barber shop. Siwon looked at me and tipped his hat.

 

“’Morning Jill.” He looked me up and down. “You had a good night of sleep?”

 

“Yes.” I lied.

 

“Why are you up so early?”

 

“I got a job yesterday at the barber shop.” I motioned to the closed door.

 

“Oh I see! Congratulations. I hope things work out for you.” He nodded and continued to watch the area.

 

I nodded and walked up the stairs to the barber shop. The door was closed and a large sheet was covering the barber chair. After glancing at it and the clock, I knocked on the door. After a couple seconds, the door opened and Ryeowook motioned me to come in. I stepped inside the room and looked around. It was a small, storage room filled with various kinds of tools and bottles.

 

“Is this your office?” I tried looking for a chair and desk.

 

“You could call it that.” Ryeowook replied and pulled several bottles and brushes out of a box on the floor.

 

“It seems cramped.”

 

“Yeah pretty much.” He handed me the bottles and brushes. “These are shampoos, conditioners, and brushes. Come with me.” He led me to the other side of the office and opened the door. Right outside the door was another station set up like the barber chair up front. This station looked like a Westernized hair washing station with a shower handle and large wooden bowl attached to the top of the chair. “Sorry it’s a little dusty. I haven’t used it in a while.” He moved over to it to wipe it off.

 

“It’s okay.” I moved over to it and set down the stuff he gave me. He showed me how to use the shower handle and other details about wasting water and satisfaction of the costumers. Once I agreed to everything he said, he moved back toward the door.

 

“I have some regular customers, but they don’t come for another hour or so. You can just stay with me until then.”

 

I agreed and we both stood in front of the barber chair at the front of the shop for over two hours. During that entire time, we talked about random stuff and laughed a lot. We would get a customer here and there, but once the offer of a hair-washing was available, a buzz started to form. We watched as they left the shop talking excitedly with one another and as the day went on, several lines started to form, mostly for the hair washing, and the both of us worked very hard, forgetting about the time. The next time I looked at the clock, it was almost closing time.

 

“Wow.” I breathed out and cleaned up my station. Once my supplies were put away, I opened the door to the main hair cutting part of the shop and saw Ryeowook sitting in the chair flipping through many bills of money.

 

“How much did we make today?” I walked over and looked over his shoulder.

 

He shook his head and let out a breath of awe. “I haven’t made this much money in a long time…I can actually pay off some expenses toward the upkeep of the shop and buy better supplies!”

 

“That’s great!” I smiled.

 

“If we have more good days like this, this could turn into a whole new kind of shop!” He turned around and looked at me excitedly.

 

“I’m so glad that possibility could happen.”

 

“It’s because of you. You’re popular.”

 

I chuckled and flushed a little. “I think people just like to get their hair washed. Especially in this Western setting.”

 

“…you’re also a pretty foreigner.” He looked back down at the bills in his hands.

 

I flushed more and blinked. “What differences does that make?”

 

“A big one. There aren’t many foreigners living in this town, so you’re special.”

 

“…thanks.” I looked down embarrassed.

 

There was a long moment of silence between us, then I tucked some hair behind my ear and straightened up. “Well I think I’m gonna get going. I didn’t get much sleep last night, so I could catch up now.”

 

Ryeowook looked at me quickly. “Don’t you still want a haircut?”

 

I blinked. “Huh?”

 

“Last night you said you’d let me fix your hair.”

 

“Oh…yeah I did say that.” I smiled a little.