Markbum #1 (angel!au)

Dancing along with you

Jaebum holds his breath and stops walking, a shiver running down his spine. He is not sure what just happened, but the figure which bypassed him caught his whole attention whithout him even being able to see the face of the stranger. Dressed with a loose hoodie and tight pants, the other cannot be that much older or younger than him, Jaebum decides as he watches the guy enter a coffee shop.

Suddenly the overwhelming feeling disappear and Jaebum can hear the cars rushing by once again. He looks back at the door of the shop, now closed and heaves a sigh before resuming his way to the dance studio. He has more pressing matters to attend.

*

It is weeks later when the feeling comes back. He lost his phone somewhere in between classes and pratice, only realising on his way back home. He curses under his breath until he bumps into Jackson, who is kind enough to let him call his phone. By some miracle, someone answer and explain they are at the dance studio, and will be leaving shortly, so please come get your phone quickly.

*

Jaebum's fingers are jittery when they close around the handle, somehow he knows the guy behind the door is the one from before. He remembers the cap and worn out sneakers vividly but he is anxious to discover to which face they belong.

He takes a deep breath, knocks and enters.

*

It takes only a few seconds for the other to stop the music and look at Jaebum. The guy sports light blond hair, and it goes so well with his big eyes and plump mouth that Jaebum wonders if he is really from Asian descent and not from some ethereal realm. He is beautiful. His presence speaks volumes and Jaebum cannot help but be lost for words.

"Are you the one looking for his phone ?" The stranger says and walks towards him.

"Ah.. Hmm.. Yes."

"I'm Mark."

*

Jaebum is not sure what Mark sees in him, but if the dates they have been going on are any indication, then Mark likes him too. They link hands while sitting side by side in the cinema, and Jaebum shivers - Mark's skin is smooth, warm and enticing.

The problem is the feeling does not disappear even when they grow closer, and the first time Mark leans in to kiss his lips briefly, Jaebum feels too shocked to respond. He has trouble breathing, his heart is beating loudly in his chest, unable to calm down, and he does not register Mark's sad face until the older pulls out his hand from its rest on Jaebum's shoulder.

"I'm sorry. Some people are more sensitive than others." Mark says.

Jaebum suppresses his tears from falling, and focuses on getting his breathing even. He does not understand Mark's words.

*

Getting to kiss Mark properly takes many more dates, a lot more skinship, and all of their patience. He still does not understand, nor Mark's words, nor his bizarre reaction to Mark. He does not know if everything is a dream - because God knows catching Mark healing his sick cat by simply patting its head and murmuring encouraging words seems to come straight out of a dream. But now that he can freely enjoy the plush of Mark's lips on his skin without feeling knocked out of himself, he is not sure he wants to wake up or to understand, he just no longer wants the feeling to ever disappear.