[1/1]

what a pretty, pretty picture
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The coffee shop is grimy and the dust on the floor is an inch thick in some places. The coffee served there tastes like dirt, and was probably made with the said matter. The service is horrible, and nobody local understands how the shop has managed to stay afloat for five years, but that's the odd reality. 
Everyday, Jimin asks himself why he continues going there. He's probably going to be safer at A recently abandoned Walmart. At least he knows the canned food there is somewhat edible. And yet, Jimin is the only regular the coffee shop has. He goes every morning at six thirty and orders a 'blueberry muffin' and plain black coffee. He's not exactly sure what's in the muffin, but it's definitely not blueberries. He'll sit and eat his muffin in fifteen minutes, then gulf down his coffee as fast as possible, because at this point it's cold and nobody wants to drink cold mud, but he feels the need to be polite. He did order it. 
At six fifty-two he walks down to the train station and catches the seven o' clock subway and goes to work. After a long seven hours of torture in a cubicle, he comes back on the three-fifteen subway, and finds himself at that still disgusting coffee shop again for more mud 'coffee' and instead of a blueberry muffin, he purchases a cheese and croissant sandwich which tastes surprisingly tasty, especially compared to the coffee. He wonders if maybe this is the reason he continues to come back. 
Jimin knows the real reason he goes to the coffee shop everyday, twice a day, though. The owner of the shop is a photographer, and every inch of the walls are covered in Polaroid, film, and print photographs. All of them have a single muse. He's a boy who seems to be average height, and just a little bit younger then Jimin himself, perhaps a baby-faced college student, or a high schooler. He's beautiful in every way. Jimin would know, because he's looked at every photograph hundreds of times while drinking his coffee and eating his food. Some of the photos were of the boy dressed up like a flower boy; flowers in his hair, short sleeved pastel button ups, laying in a field of flowers with a soft smile on his face and his eyes gently closed. Other of the photographs showcased a rough and tumble skater boy, complete with ripped skinny jeans, an odd smudge of eyeliner, and action shots of him doing ollies and grinding down rails. Jimin's favorite photo shoots however, where the ones that were shot at odd angles and were entirely candid. They seemed to follow him throughout the day, a shot here of him sleeping peacefully, his hair ruffled up, and a little drop of drool escaping his lips. A shot there of the boy, barely awake, staring blankly at the camera in his pajamas eating a hefty bowl of cereal. It was these types of photographs that felt real, and kept Jimin coming back. He had always been to scared to ask the owner who the boy was, lack of self esteem often got in his way, and she never seemed to be too interested in him, despite Jimin being the only regular.
Finally on his year anniversary of coming to the shop everyday, and not missing a single day, he gathered up all his courage and attempted to start a conversation with the girl while she made his coffee.
"So, um, how's your life."
"Oh, you're talking. Is there something exciting going on?"
He blushed deeply when she lifted an eyebrow and asked him. 
"Um, well, no..."
"Oh, don't say that. You come in here every day for a year and don't speak except for giving me your order, then you suddenly start talking to me. What's up?"
She set the coffee down on the counter and held her head up with her hands. Apparently she had taken notice of her only regular. He wasn't going to deny it-the girl was pretty. Almost as beautiful as the boy in photographs, and he occasionally had a vague thought that they looked like each other, be he usually dismissed it, in favor of getting lost in the boys beautiful smile. This fact, however made his job much harder and he started fumbling his hands together in nervousness. He couldn't speak to her, he tried, but he couldn't and she noticed this. She reached out and massaged his hands. 
"Hey, it's alright. I'm not going to bite. Say what's on your mind."
Jimin was annoyed she had to comfort him like this, so he squeezed his eyes shut and quickly blurted out the question he wanted to know since day one.
"Whostheboyinthephotographsbecausehesreallysuperpretty."
She looked confused for a second before letting go of his hands and stifling a laugh. 
"He's my little brother." She smiled."He's probably around your age-how old are you?"
"Twenty-five."
"Yeah, he's twenty-three."
"What?!" 
"Yeah, he looks really young. You do too, for that matter. Hey, can I ask you something?" 
Jimin nodded nervously. Her tone had changed slightly, and he was hoping she wasn't going to ask some personal, embarrassing question or something.
"Has it taken you an entire year to gather up the courage to ask that?"
Ugh. Definitely a personal and embarrassing question. Jimin's cheeks flamed, and she got her answer even before he nodded sheepishly. Again she giggled, but in a weird, comfortable way.
"Awe, that's so sweet. Tae will think that's adorable. I might be able to get him in here now."
"Who's Tae?"
"Oh Taehyung, my brother. I call him Tae."
Jimin didn't know how to respond, so he j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter