Style

Style
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Which member would you date if you were a boy?"

Sana presses an index finger against her pursed lips, signaling for everyone around her to be quiet. Although she is watching the interview for Mina's sake because they don't see each other as often as they used to, thanks to the separation of teams (and she just can't get enough of the ballerina anyway), this is the one question in the video that she anticipates the most. This is the highlight of the video; this is the moment of truth (for her, personally).

On the laptop screen that all the members of the Major team are surrounding, Mina pauses very briefly before replying, "Chaeyoungie. She's feminine, but she's also cool and y...so she's my style."

Sana's heart flutters at the sight of Mina's smile and the sound of her laughter before it drops upon realization of the answer that her crush gave. The brunette allows an agonized shriek to escape from her lips, causing a few of the girls around her to flinch. (It'll take some time before they grow accustomed to her unpredictable behavior.) The video is paused and Sana's fellow Major members peer at her with wide eyes. "What?! Why didn't she choose me?!"

"But unnie, you didn't choose her either...?" Minyoung easily points out.

From the side of her Minor B groupmate, Dahyun leans forward and proudly chimes in, "I chose you, Sana unnie." 

Sana gives the pair an eerily familiar sharp look that causes both of their mouths to immediately snap shut. "Do the two of you think I'm joking? I can't let this go. I have to do something." The last bit is meant for herself, as a sort of motivational statement, but the others respond to it anyway.

"Why? It's just a little interview, why does it matter to you?" Jihyo sincerely questions, unaware of Sana's feelings for Mina - like every other contestant in the survival program.

Sana is flustered but she manages to sputter, "I-It's for my pride! And we're good friends!"

The witnesses are clearly unconvinced, especially shown in the glances they subtly exchange. Nonetheless, the girls simply shrug and accept it as it is. They probably wouldn't understand in spite of how much Sana attempts to explain it to them. There are very few people who actually understand what goes on in Minatozaki Sana's mind, and none of the girls present are part of this minority (whether it is a good thing or not).

"Anyway, if you'll please excuse me, I'll be going to my room." Sana announces indignantly, rising from her spot directly in front of the laptop. She silently shuffles past her Major groupmates toward the direction of her room, all while she begins mapping out a series of plans in her head. 

"Unnie, you're not going to finish watching the video?" Natty questions, tilting her head.

"I'll watch it again later...by myself." Sana's teammates raise their brows but don't take the unusual statement into further consideration.

"Thanks for choosing me, by the way!" Somi hollers after Sana's disappearing figure. "I'll continue cooking good food for you, unnie!"

 

 

"What makes Chaeyoungie so cool?" Sana wonders aloud as she lays in her bed, staring up at the spotless white ceiling. Frankly, she doesn't interact much with Chaeyoung, so she doesn't know her as well as some of the other contestants - thus, she doesn't view her in the same light as say, someone like...Mina.

"She's a good rapper."

Tzuyu, Sana's roommate for time being, suddenly appears on the bed adjacent to hers. The younger girl seems to have just finished her nighttime routine, and Sana watches with a smile as her fellow foreigner wraps a blanket around herself.  Cute. She has taken a particular fondness to Tzuyu, so she doesn't mind conversing or exchanging ideas with her, especially since she is an excellent listener.

"Everyone knows that, but what distinguishes her from the rest of our rappers...?" Sana knows the answer is lying somewhere around inside of her head, but she just can't seem to recall it at the moment.

Tzuyu buries herself deeper into her blanket before replying in a muffled voice, "She writes her own raps? And she's very charismatic, especially when she performs."

"Yes, that's it! Thank you, Tzuyu~"

"..."

When she doesn't hear anything in response, Sana turns toward Tzuyu and realizes that she has already fallen asleep. As quietly as she can (to avoid waking the slumbering girl), the older roommate gets off the bed, turns off the light, and sits at her desk. She turns on the desklamp, takes a notebook out, flips to a crisp blank page, then pulls out a pen from her pencil pouch. At the top of the page, she writes in neat Korean:

'Minatozaki Sana's Rap (Dedicated to Myoui Mina 💕)'

She momentarily stares at the title before adding more hearts around it, because why the heck not? The more, the merrier, right? Right. So Sana draws more hearts around the title of her rap until there isn't any room left, then she moves on to the corners of the page. Only when she has made a thick border of hearts around the page does she make the terrible realization:

She has never written a rap before, much less in Korean. How in the world is she going to do this? There is no way she is going to reach Chaeyoung's rap-writing level either. Perhaps she can make up for it another way?

A wide smile spreads its way across Sana's lips. Yes, she could definitely do that.

 

Plan A: Cool Side - START

 

"So that's what you have to do. Got it? Everyone knows what they're doing?" Sana asks one final time as the Major members are gathered in the practice room. They all nod in response seconds before the door opens and Nayeon pokes her head inside.

"Minor Team is here for our practice hours~ You should all leave now~" The oldest contestant jokingly declares as she enters the room with the other Minor members in tow. Even as the other girls pour in, the Major team do not move an inch from their positions.

Mina is the last to enter, and she appears just as puzzled as the rest of her teammates. The Minor members stand directly across from the Major members, and Sana relocates so that she stands in front of Mina. The newly arrived girls don't seem in the least bit amused at the situation.

"What are you doing?" Jungyeon questions, crossing her arms. The Major members look so serious, and it unconsciously increases her wariness.

"Is this part of the show...?" Chaeryoung whispers to Jiwon, who simply raises her shoulders in response.

The opposing team appear tense and uneasy until a disarming grin appears on Sana's face - and that's when the girls know right away that this is one of her random antics. But it's too late for any of them to do anything about it. "This is for you, Myoui Mina!" Sana shouts, and the named girl's puzzled expression only contorts further (with a hint of something like reluctance). "And a one, two...one, two, three, four!"

The other side of the room instantly explodes into chaos: Dahyun is flapping her arms like there's no tomorrow (something that isn't supposed to be cracking sounds like it's cracking and it's a bit worrying), Natty is really slowly swaying her body to some kind of invisible beat (interpretive dance for a melancholic song, maybe?), Jihyo is closing her eyes and humming (and she's really into it, it's so soulful), Somi is looking like some kind of real life Street Fighter (the girls standing near her take a step back), Minyoung is strumming away wildly at a guitar and she raises it in the air as if she's about to smash it (but she remembers that she shouldn't so she awkwardly waves it around in the air above her head), and Tzuyu is...no one can exactly describe what Tzuyu is doing (but at least she looks pretty while doing whatever in the world that is).

In the meantime, the Minor members look as if they're going to either laugh or cry and they can't exactly decide which one they want to do. At the front and center of it all, Sana is...rapping? Poor Mina is frozen still as Sana attempts to make some hand gestures to go with her rap (?).

"J-Y-P Sixteen, uh. Two thousand and fifteen, yeah. Dip the wrap into the water and it might rip. It may be a bit of a failure but that's okay, that's okay. It's the taste that matters. Bunny, bunny, carrots, carrots, one shrimp, two shrimp, three shrimp, that's enough shrimp, don't put too much shrimp, I mean it - "

"Is she saying what I think she's saying...?" Chaeyoung mutters to a visibly grimacing Jungyeon.

"Vietnamese springroll ingredients, yep."

Nayeon tries to tolerate this cacophonous catastrophe for a few seconds more but she fears for the sanity of the rest of her teammates so she places her hands firmly on Sana's shoulders. "Okay, stop stop stop. Everyone, stop! Goodness, please." Everyone and everything immediately comes to a halt upon the oldest's command, including the organizer of this...'performance' (tentative vocabulary applied) itself.

"So, did I do good?" Sana asks Nayeon, who speechlessly furrows her brows. Receiving no reply from the older girl, the taller brunette cranes her neck to seek an answer from the object of her affections. "Mina-chan, did you like it?"

Before a cringing Mina could muster up a reply, someone from the Minor Team murmurs, "That was ridiculous". Unfortunately, Sana isn't able to pinpoint exactly who said it.

"Well, the point was to make everyone look ridiculous so I can look good." Sana explains, as if it were the best idea she had ever come up with. "I looked cool, right?" She wiggles her eyebrows at Mina, who appears to have a permanent cringe on her pretty face.

"Yes, sure. Whatever answer it takes to get you all out of here so we can practice." Nayeon sighs, rubbing her temples.

Seeing that they're testing the oldest girl's patience, the Major members decide to avoid conflict and they start leaving the room, one by one. As a dejected Sana drags her feet along, she hears "ridiculous" from the same voice who had said it earlier. She then slightly turns her head to see Chaeyoung grinning at her (coolly, by the way). Sana puffs out her cheeks in annoyance and picks up her pace. She'll show the rapper that she can be just as charming, if not more. She'll show everyone.

Especially Mina.

 

Plan A: Cool Side - FAILURE

 

 

"Why am I not cool?" Sana whines to herself as she nibbles on a piece of raw cabbage. Although they are staying in the Major dormitory now (with a refridgerator filled with delicious fruit, no less), the brunette has acquired a taste for the plain vegetable. The other members don't complain about her preferences at all, since it means more of the fresh supply for themselves.

"You may not be cool, but you have other good qualities too, unnie." Dahyun reassures, plopping down beside the older girl. She breaks off a slice of the cabbage Sana is holding and commences taking small bites of it before continuing: "You're pretty, you're tall, you have a lot of aegyo..."

"Am I y?" Sana asks Dahyun, recalling the other quality that Mina had attribute

Please log in to read the full chapter