Only One You

Not Alone

 

The evening is warm and a lot of people are out and about, finding entertainment and fun. I see a few people I know but they are all out on dates or running errands and have no time for me. Seeing no one else interesting, I continue on my way, a destination already in mind.

Going back to the same bar as last night, I manage to find a familiar face. Just the girl I was looking for, in fact. She’s sitting by herself on a tall stool near the dance floor, watching the people dance to the rock band that’s playing. I’m betting she’s not very happy with me but, what the hell, no harm in trying and she’s looking hot in a fitted navy blue dress. Every curve is nicely outlined. Taking a deep breath and praying for luck, I slide up next to her and try to make my voice sound low and seductive. “Hey, beautiful.”

She turns with a small smile beginning to touch the corners of her pink lips, until she realizes it’s me. The smile disappears and she turns away with a huff. Definitely not happy with me.

“I’m sorry about last night.” I try to wrap my arm around her shoulders but she shrugs it off and gives me a nasty look. “It was an emergency, I swear. A friend was in trouble and needed help. You’ll forgive me, right?”

“It really was an emergency?” I can see the look in her eyes soften and her body relax when I nod my head. “I guess I can forgive you then, Per.”

“Aren’t you the sweetest.” That was easier than I thought. Taking her by the hand, I pull her up from her seat. Her small form fits easily with mine, her head tucked under my chin. The flowery scent of her perfume fills my senses, making me a little light-headed. Leaning down, I lightly kiss her temple and the tendrils of her hair tickle my nose as I whisper into her ear. “Why don’t we pick up where we left off… uh, sweetheart?”

I look down at her blankly as I stumble over my words. Oh, ! I still can’t remember her damn name. I am so screwed. She stares back at me, the soft look quickly turning into a glare of suspicion.

“You can’t remember my name, can you?” She shoves away from me with an angry look, crossing her arms. “Go try your tricks on some other girl.”

“Come on. You don’t mean that.” I try to wrap my arms around her waist and nuzzle her neck like I did last night, but she’s as cold as stone.

“Fine. Then what’s my name?”

“Uh… hmm…”

“My name.”

“Aww, Baby. You know you can’t stay mad at me.”

“Get lost, Jerk!” She grabs her almost full glass and throws the contents in my face before turning on her heel and storming away.

“Guess she can stay mad.” Unfortunately, the cup was filled with soda. The sticky liquid drips from my face and hair, soaking into my clothes. This night pretty much . Sopping wet and feeling defeated, I make my way home, splurging on the cost of a cab. I really don’t feel like dealing with the stares or listening to the laughter over my less than stellar appearance. It was bad enough that I can hear the cabbie snickering in the front seat the whole way to my street.

“What happened to you?” Win is sitting outside when I walk pass his house. He stands up to walk over to me but is interrupted by his father.

“Win, get inside the house. Now.” His father’s voice is stern as he stares out at us from the doorway.

“Yes, Sir.” Giving me a small wave, he glances up at our windows and then heads inside. “Night, Per.”

“Goodnight, Win.” I say and wai his father, who ignores me completely as he shuts the door. That guy has begun to hate me more and more. When I was little he would at least acknowledge my existence. Now, I might as well be vapor, actually he might like vapor more. Damn, I hope he doesn’t take it out on Win.

“I’m home.” My voice echoes around the house as I head for the stairs.

“Welcome home.” My mom yells from somewhere in the back of the house just before I make it to the second floor.

In my room, I grab the whiteboard Win and I have been using since we were little and scribble a quick message across it. Win is already waiting when I throw open my curtain so I hold up the board.

__________________________

Need a shower

Back in 5

__________________________

So, maybe it was closer to fifteen minutes, but it took a while to wash off all that sticky . Looking out the window, I see Win sitting at his desk reading a book already dressed for bed. He doesn’t notice me so I grab a small stone from our jar by my bed and chuck it at his window. He jumps at the sound, almost falling backwards in his chair. This makes me laugh. Win looks across the expanse to my window with a glare and his eyes widen. He writes on his whiteboard and shows me.

__________________________

Get

dressed

__________________________

Looking down, I realize I only have a towel draped low around my waist. I forgot to take clean night clothes into the bathroom with me. Grinning, I wink at Win and write back.

__________________________

I’m hot.

Right?

__________________________

Real freaking HOT!

I can’t stand it! :P

__________________________

That's what I thought

Want a closer look? :)

__________________________

Shut up and get some clothes

on before I come over to steal

your towel.

__________________________

I love it when Winnie gets frisky. It doesn’t happen often but it always makes me smile. Grabbing some clothes, I walk back into the bathroom to brush my teeth and dress. When I get back to my window wearing black striped shorts and a black tank top, Win is already waiting with his next message.

__________________________

So what happened?

Lose a fight with a

water hose?

__________________________

Struck out with a girl.

Didn't like me ditching

her the other night.

__________________________

Because

of me?

__________________________

No.

Because I'm a Jerk.

__________________________

Sorry

__________________________

Don't be

__________________________

Why were you

soaked?

__________________________

Her drink was naturally

attracted to my

handsome face.

__________________________

Sorry!

__________________________

Say it again and

I'm going to bed

__________________________

But it's

because of me

__________________________

There's a thousand girls

to flirt with.

I only have one you.

__________________________

Thanks!

__________________________

Shut up.

No Thanks.

No Sorrys.

__________________________

:)

__________________________

Are you doing okay?

__________________________

Fine 

__________________________

Your dad really

hates us talking

__________________________

At least he can't

hear us like this 

__________________________

SO LOW TECH

__________________________

Did you finish the

homework?

__________________________

Copy off you

tomorrow?

__________________________

What would you

do without me?

__________________________

Fail!

__________________________

Win’s laughter is cut short as his eyes widen in alarm and he points at his bedroom door. Nodding, I step to the side just as I see his dad walk into his room. Peeking at them from behind my curtain, I’m practically holding my breath, hoping nothing bad happens. They exchange a few words and his dad leaves, closing the door behind him. Walking back to my window, I see Win smiling sheepishly at me.

__________________________

Time for bed.

See you in the

morning.

__________________________

Night

__________________________

Sweet

dreams

__________________________

Win waves from his window, his smile gentle and warm. I wave back, feeling more relaxed than I did earlier, and watch as his room goes dark. Moving away from the window, I look around my room and I am alone. It’s just empty.

With nothing else to do, I turn off my light and crawl into my bed.  From here I can just barely see Win in his dark room, curled up to sleep. With him in sight, it’s like he’s beside me again. Lifting my hand, I trace his form with my finger and wonder if the bruises are healing properly. My last thought before I fall asleep is of Win’s face as he cried in his sleep. Is he really okay?