Chapter One

This Empty Heart

I asked my best friend, Jung MiYun, to meet me at the Oraé café around 2pm. We didn’t see each other in a while because of work. She’s a model and I’m an actress and dancer. When I arrived, she was already waiting for me at a small table inside by the window.

She’s always wearing something cute and feminine. I don’t often wear those things unless I really want to or have to. We told each other funny stories from work and the latest fashions. I showed her some of my favorite brands on my ipad. After about an hour and a half, we both had to get back to work and we bid our farewells. I offered to pay but she felt a bit bad, so she gave a tip.

“TaeHyun! I think this isn’t the place.”

“It doesn’t matter hyung, at least we can get some cupcakes for Dara-noona and Bom-noona”

“But don’t we need to get the good tasting ones?”

“SeungHoon said this place is good too.”

“When did he say that?” TaeHyun chuckled nervously.

“Don’t worry, hyung”

As soon as I heard that name, I recognized it right away.

“Excuse me. Kim JinWoo?” I asked the smiling boy shyly.

“Nae, I’m JinWoo.” He answered, still with that cute smile.

I missed you very much oppa; I told myself. He probably doesn’t remember me though. I ended up not saying a word for about a minute.

“Uhm, are you a fan?” That question made my heart shatter. I understand he’s been working on his debut album, but I thought he could’ve remembered me.

“I’m Kim SuJin, you don’t remember me. Well, it’s okay. Sorry for bothering you. Nice to see you again, goodbye.” I bowed then left the café. If he didn’t remember me it’s not worth it to talk to him, right?

I walked back to my apartment. Did I forget something?

Just then, my phone rang.

From: MiRin (Colleague)

SuJin-ah, where are you?

Oh no, I forgot about the script reading.  I hurried to get to the location building.

 

JinWoo’s POV

“Who was that, hyung? Didn’t seem like a fan.” TaeHyun suddenly asked me.

“I’m not sure, she knows me but I don’t remember her.” I held my head in confusion, trying to remember her. Where have I met her before?

“Araso, the cupcakes are done. Let’s get back to the building.” He took the bag of cupcakes and held it up to show me. I smiled then he started to walk out the door then I followed behind.

// Fast Forward //

“Annyeonghasaeyo.” We both greeted the girls as we walked into the dance studio.

“We’re back with cupcakes!” TaeHyun smiled happily as he showed the bag to the girls.

“Kamsahamnida TaeHyun and JinWoo!” They cheered excitedly and walked towards TaeHyun. I sat down at a nearby bench and took out my phone. I quickly looked for an old picture where Kim SuJin may be.

“Hyung! We need to get back to the recording studio.” TaeHyun called me from the door.

“Araso. See you later Dara-noona and Bom-noona.” We bowed then left the room.

We walked up the hallway and to the elevator. I was still looking for a photo of her. Why is this making me so curious? She could have just been another fan that panicked and felt embarrassed afterwards.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” TaeHyun looked over my shoulder to take a glimpse of my phone.

“Looking for a photo of SuJin, maybe she was my friend in primary school and I forgot.” I continued searching my phone’s gallery. I have too many photos.

When we arrived at the studio, I closed the gallery and put my phone on the desk SeungYoon was working on. I got inside the recording booth and waited for my cue.

 

TaeHyun’s POV

I think JinWoo-hyung just felt bad for the girl. She probably just panicked and said whatever came to mind. Hyung’s busy in the booth, so I took out my phone and googled “Kim SuJin” on both web and images.

I scrolled through the photos first and it was surely her. But how am I supposed to know she’s not just another fan? Hmm, I kept scrolling. Suddenly, a group picture of when she was in primary school. Her fans circled her out from the group of classmates. She was being hugged by a little boy.

Wait, that looks like “JinWoo-hyung.”

As soon as I said his name, JinWoo came out from the booth. The photo looks like JinWoo-hyung and SuJin-ah were really close. Then I decided to surprise him by bringing SuJin-ah here. But I have to get him to remember her first. I’m sure he wants to apologize.

JinWoo-hyung was checking his phone for the picture of her again on the couch at the back of SeungYoon. But if they were good friends, how come he forgot about her?