The Secret To A Song

I So Love My Dreams

The students sat up straight, as Baek Hee walked in and sat near the piano.

"Class, for the past few weeks, we have been practicing on vocalization," she said. "Right now, we have to rest for a while and focus on singing."

The students all mused and got excited.

"But it does not mean that you will be noisy," Baek Hee said.

She once again got the students' attention and continued with her lecture.

"One friend once told me that in order to sing a song, it is not that necessary to sing with all the high pitches and all the perfect octaves."

One of the students rose his hands, and Baek Hee called him.

"If that is so, then does that mean that our vocalization practices were not important after all?" the student asked.

"Good question. The vocalization process is totally necessary. However, it is also singing a song from the heart that makes a song worthwhile and meaningful," Baek Hee said.

She began to wonder if that was the reason why President Jung picked her during the audition instead of Hye Mi. But she also wondered if that was also the reason why Hye Mi got a perfect score when she sang "Winter Child" during one class. Then, she shot a glance at Hye Seong.

"Omo! Why is Yoon-seonsaengnim looking at me?" Hye Seong thought.

"Go Hye Seong," Baek Hee called on her. "How do you know that the song you are singing is meaningful?"

Hye Seong looked at her classmate, then at the teacher.

"Oh, the song is meaningful if...the person you are singing to is touched by the song," she answered.

Baek Hee snapped her fingers.

"Bingo. It means that the person got the message of the song that you are singing," Baek Hee said.

She turned to the piano and played some notes.

"I am going to sing one song, and tell me what you think about this," she said.

The students sat in full attention, and Baek Hee tapped on the bars. As she tapped on the bars, she suddenly remembered her one-sided love that she had for that certain someone who once saved her life.

How will I start
Tomorrow without you here
Who's heart will guide me
When all the answers disappear


Is it too late
Are you too far gone to stay
This one's forever
Should never have to go away

What will I do
You know I'm only half without you
How will I make it through

If only tears could bring you back to me
If only love could find a way
What I would do, what I would give
If you returned to me someday
Somehow, someway
If my tears could bring you back to me

 

Then she proceeded to the bridge.

 

I hold you close
And shout the words I only whispered before
For one more chance, for one last dance
There's nothing that I would not endure...

 

Then she stopped playing the song. She felt her chest tighten that she could not go on. However, she had to restrain herself, as she was in the middle of class. Looking at the students, she smiled at them and asked them what they thought or have in mind when they listened to the song.

"Uh...I only listened to the lyrics," one student whispered.

Baek Hee seemed to hear the whisper, so she told the class.

"It is not only  necessary to like the melody or to listen to the lyrics of the song," she said. "In audio, you should feel the emotions of the singer. But in a concert, you should also take note of the singer's facial expression."

She paced back and forth as she continued with her lecture.

"Now, what do you think, Serri?" the teacher asked.

Serri stood up and answered, "It seems that Seonsaengnim had been in love with someone before."

Oh how right! Baek Hee blushed at her student's remark, but she did not want them to overpower her.

"That's right," Baek Hee told Serri. "You have totally gotten the emotion that I wanted to convey in the song."

The students all howled in delight, and Baek Hee smiled at them. The students began to think that Baek Hee was not that bad after all.

********

The bell rang, and the students went out of the room. Baek Hee noticed the rolled up poster and got it. When she opened the poster, a face of Jin Gook smiled back at her.

"Jin Gook-ah..." she thought miserably.

Hye Seong came back, and bowed to the teacher.

"Joesonhamnida, Seonsaengnim," the student said.

Baek Hee rolled up the poster and handed it to Hye Seong with a sad smile. Then, without a word, the teacher left, leaving the student curious.

"Hmm.... if Seonsaengnim likes Jin Gook-oppa, then if Jin Gook-oppa likes Hye Mi-eonni, then it means I have two enemies," she thought.