The Princess of Eversheen

The Night's Royalty

      Luna and Luhan danced quietly, their thoughts focused on each other. Hers, about how this moment was like a dream. Luhan’s hand holding hers while his other one lightly touched her waist. Just being here simply like this, existing in his arms gave Luna a heady feeling.     

          Luhan, on the other hand, was wondering how Luna had been all these years. He had missed her a lot, if he was to be honest, but he would never admit that to her. He shouldn’t even be here, at her party. His dad had forbidden Luhan from attending, worried that Luna would seduce him and steal his money. Not that Luhan even needed seducing, seeing as he would do anything for Luna if she asked. Luhan chuckled; his father was working on the wrong chain.

          “What’s so funny”, asked Luna. She removed her hand from his shoulder and poked his cheek. “Do I look funny to you?”  

          “Nope. I was just thinking about something.” Luhan grabbed her hand in his and pressed it between their bodies.

          Luna’s heart thumped. Her body was sending all kinds of electrical messages to her brain, all which screamed, “Kiss him!”

          “And what would that be”, said Luna, trying to be cool.         

          “Well, you see-”, Luhan began, before he was cut off by squealing voice that appeared out of nowhere.

          “Prince Luhan! Is that you?” Hands with red and golden painted nails grabbed Luhan by the shoulders and swung him around. “Oh my god! It is you!”

          Luhan, a bit disoriented, simply said, “Oh hi Mimi! I haven’t seen you in a while. How are you?” He offered his hand to the small woman, who shook it quite eagerly.

          “I missed you Luhan!” Luhan was surprised to see small tears forming at the corner of Mimi’s brown eyes. Mimi glared at him for an uncomfortably long time before she lowered her head and hugged him. Mimi, tiny as she was, barely reached Luhan’s chest, but she felt him stiffen.

          “What’s this,” she asked and pulled away from Luhan. “What’s wrong Luhan? Aren’t you happy to see me?” She looked at him with her big, brown eyes, confused.

          “Um, Mimi, this is Princess Luna.” Luhan took a step away from Mimi, to reveal Luna who had been behind him the entire time. Mimi’s eyed widened even more at the sight of Luna. Surprised but still polite, Mimi stepped forward and bowed to Luna.      

          “Happy birthday Princess Luna. I am Princess Mimi of Eversheen. I am honored to meet you.” This was the customary introduction among the royalty, and Mimi certainly was royalty. She was the heir to a fortune so huge, she could cover the world in jewels and still have some left over.

          Luna had heard many things about Mimi, not all of them good. It was rumored that Mimi was not actually the daughter of the queen of Eversheen, that the king had had an affair and Mimi was the result. Of course, to save face, the queen had told everyone that Mimi was her legitimate daughter. No one believed her.

          Mimi was small while the queen was known for her great height. Mimi had brown, curly hair while the queen had fiery red locks. Everything about them was different. It did not help that Mimi was the spitting image of the king’s personal maid. 

          As it was, a crowd was forming to watch the Princess of Eversheen and the Princess of Soul meet. Luna glanced at the throng of people and whispered, “Perhaps we should talk elsewhere. The public seems to be intrigued by our conversation.” With a small nod of her head, Luna walked to a corner of the room, not bothering to see if Mimi and Luhan were following her.

          “They’re so nosy,” complained Mimi, frowning as she made her way to Luna. Luhan laughed. “Of course they are. You guys are the princesses they always wished they were.”

          “Maybe you’re right Luhan,” Mimi said. Her walk became a cheery gait and when she reached Luna, Mimi hugged her.         

            “Oh well, hello” Luna said. She wasn’t very good at socializing, but she hugged Mimi back.

          “Since I’m the mutual friend here, I suppose I should introduce you two.” Luhan said. He pointed at Mimi. “This girl here is Princess Mimi of Eversheen as you know. Um, she’s twenty years old although she looks much younger, and she loves flowers.”        

          Then he pointed at Luna and said, “This is Princess Luna of Soul. She turns 21 today, which is coincidentally why we’re all here, and her personal hobby is singing.” With a small noise of satisfaction, Luhan said, “Well, introductions are all finished.”

          “What is this,” Mimi giggled, “An arranged marriage? I think we can talk to each other just fine, Luhan.” She punched his shoulder. Luhan gasped in false pain, acting as if he was hurt badly.

          Luna laughed weakly, wondering what Mimi and Luhan’s relationship was that they could play so easily together. “So”, she said, “you guys know each other well?”     

          Luhan nodded at her, his face bright. “Yes, I’ve known Mimi since we were little kids.” Beside him, Mimi smiled, just as brightly as Luhan.

          “I see.” Luna could see that Luhan acted differently with Mimi. He was more open and jubilant than he was with Luna. She felt an ugly monster rise inside her. It wanted to squeeze in between Luhan and Mimi, wanted to separate them as far as was possible. Luna pushed the monster back down. Princesses do not act petty. 

         But still, there was an unbearable itching inside her that wanted, no needed, to find out more about their relationship. Although Luna struggled against it, she was no match. Luna decided to scratch the itch. “Luhan acts differently around you than he does me. You seem to have the effect of a happiness potion on him.”

          “Oh well, I’m glad to hear it”, Mimi glanced happily at Luhan, who had frozen in place. “You see, he was my suitor six years ago.”