and that may be, all I need to know

Don't Know Much

Since that day, Dara and Seunghyun didn't spend any more time together not even a text message. Most of their friends felt like they were stepping on eggshells around them, like kids choosing between their parents during a divorce. Be that as it may, they're also happy that Dara seems to be moving on. She doesn't look like she's gonna cry at the mention of Seunghyun's name, however they still try not to let the two of them cross paths. As much as they love Seunghyun, they all think that Dara deserves to be happy after everything she's been through. After years of pining over a man who never seemed to prioritize her, she's finally moving on to someone who might just treat her like the precious woman that she is.

Things with Soohyun are moving smoothly, they're both finally free from the shackles of their previous relationships and are perhaps crossing the line of friendship. They went out on their first official date a month ago and have met in a similar fashion almost everyday outside of work. Soohyun is the perfect gentleman with a few quirks here and there. Truth be told, Dara's never felt more of a woman than she does now. Their relationship is a perfect mixture of childish fascination and mature affection. Soohyun is more than just a friend and respected sunbae now and both of them are happy with their progress. 

On the other hand, Seunghyun tried his best to think about what Dara said to him. All this time, he never thought of it the way Dara has put it. All along, he believed that what he did was for the better; he can't keep up with school work and maintain a relationship as confusing as the one he had with Dara. Never did he think of it as an excuse but looking back, it might just be the case. He says he doesn't have time for her but then he jumps from one relationship to another. He didn't last very long without a woman by his side, despite his claims of being busy with school. He has adjusted quite well in university, so much so that he's now one of the top students in his class. "Convenient excuse" maybe she was right, it's not because he was tired of her constant changes but it was him who changed his mind. He's been mulling over his situation with Dara so much that he's fallen into a bit of depression. Coming to terms with his mistake and how much pain he brought the only woman he ever loved, he was finally ready to own up to his mistakes and make things right. Dara said she still loves him, maybe there's a chance for them again?

Starting over with Dara proved to be a difficult feat to even begin. None of his friends are willing to help him and she apparently blocked his calls. What made it more difficult is the knowledge that she's finally moving on with the drunk leach. He's now torn between wanting her to be happy with him and wanting her happiness with another man. Maybe his friends are right, she deserves someone who would understand and treat her better. For now, he decided to watch from the sidelines, just like what Dara did for him. He will try to gain back her friendship, and perhaps one day he can make a move again. He's now determined to make it work, no matter how long it takes.

So he waited. A year turned into two, two became three. Dara's relationship with Soohyun wasn't as stable as theirs but he never had the chance to sweep in. Because no matter how much they fought, they always seem to make up soon after. Even though it was the case, Seunghyun doesn't believe that Dara loves Soohyun the was she loved him. There's something different with them and he's making himself believe that maybe Dara still loves him. This kind of thinking often lands him a slap on the head from Daesung, but he can't help but hang onto that belief. He needs to because every time he sees them together feels like a dagger to the heart. It wasn't even easy to avoid them since they're now famous actors and worse, they still run with the same group of friends He's been set up on various dates with women of high standing, some even doctors like him but he never paid them attention. It was his time to wait. It was his time to prove to Dara that he's serious.

His opportunity came when Dara and Soohyun fought, more serious than before. He swept in and tried to comfort here through her tears but Dara refused his advances and called for her best friend. He still stayed around though, even when he looked like an awkward thrid wheel in a tear fest. He waited in the wings, bringing water and tissues or whatever Chaerin had called him for. It took a while but Dara stopped crying and excused herself to her room stating she wants to rest. He cleaned up the mess with Chaerin. As he was about to leave, she pulls him aside and for a brief moment he was scared she was gonna punch him again. To his relief, and Chaerin's amusement, she just clapped him on the back and told him that he did well. He felt renewed and more positive because of a simple motion, as if she's giving him permission to step up. With that renewed vigor, he visited her again with flowers and chocolates. He knows it's too soon and by now Dara and Soohyun might have gotten back together again but he needed to move now. 

Ringing her doorbell, Seunghyun was a nervous mess. He wasn't this nervous during his residency and the thought made him scoff. The things Dara makes him feel. The door opens revealing a puffy-eyed Dara and he immediately takes her into his arms. It breaks his heart to see her like this and he briefly wonders if this is what she looked like when he broke up with her. Lost in his thoughts, he felt Dara push him away with very little strength. 

"I know what you're trying to do, Seunghyun. I'm not ready to even begin to consider this." Dara wearily says.

"I'm not expecting you to accept my intentions right away. I just want to tell you that I'm here and will always be."

"I appreciate the thought, Seunghyun but I'm still with Soohyun, I don't think it will be fair for him to accept your intentions. Please stop this."

"Why do you keep on fighting for a relationship that just tires you out like this? I've seen you breakdown so much since you entered this relationship. Why do you put yourself through this mess?" Seunghyun defends, exasperation evident in his tone. 

Dara bristles at this statement "Not everyone can let go of something special as easily as you do! We can't all let go of something precious just like you did! My boyfriend and I are going to work through these problems. Please, don't make it worse."

"I'm sorry for leaving you that time. I know that I was wrong. But I'm here now. I won't leave you, not ever. Not even when you're not mine anymore. You are precious, Dara. And like you said, we can't let go of something precious easily." Seunghyun pauses, apprehensive but still musters the courage to ask what's been in his mind for so many years. "Do you...You don't have to answer me if you don't want. just..Do you even love him? Are you in love with him?" 

Dara was taken aback by his question. The sincerity in his voice, the fear and determination in his eyes were so clear and it took her breath away. Do I love Soohyun? Of course I do. He's perfect. Am I in love with him? The phone rings before she even comes to answer the question, it's Soohyun. He wants to talk. Dara asks Seunghyun to leave, she doesn't think it's best to have the two men see each other right now. Seunghyun leaves with a heavy heart but at the same time, he feels lighter. Now he doesn't feel like a snake; stealthily waiting for a chance to attack. Dara knows now, the ball is in her court. 

A week after, Seunghyun was finally resting at home after 3days straight of staying at the hospital. It took his mind off Dara but the strain on his body was tremendous. He's trying to rest his body when he receives a message from Dara asking him to meet at a restaurant between their apartments. Though tired, he got ready in less than 15 minutes. 

Upon arriving at the cafe, he spots Dara at the far corner of the restaurant and sat across her. She looked much better than the last time they met but she still looks sad. He waits for her to talk, not knowing why she called him for. 

"We broke up. We decided it was for the best." She begins, her voice quiet. 

Before Seunghyun processed what she said she added "but it doesn't mean that I'm getting back together with you so soon. I just can't jump into another relationship right after. I need time...You asked me if I loved him, I did...I still do. But I realized, I wasn't in love with him...like I was with you. I need more time to think about my feelings about you. I know, at the back of my mind that I've always loved you. But I tried so much to teach myself not to entertain those feelings that I'm not sure anymore if what I'm feeling for you is still there or if it's just a memory of my love for you. For now, I need you  to stay away from me and let me work out my feelings. You were able to reassess yours, let me do so too."

With a tight squeeze of his hand, she left him at the restaurant. This time, even if someone was left along at the table again, hearts didn't break and worlds didn't crumble. 

 

 

 

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jk

 


3 years later

 

Flashes of light, bright and blinding. Dara walks down the red carpet, hand in hand with the man she loves with all her heart.

 

 

____________________________________

A/N: well...sorry. This wasn't one of my best. I'm trying to get a hang of writing again. >.<