Chapter 22

Without You

I sit on the sofa, awkward. Jungkook and his father went into the kitchen to talk, well whisper, since I can't hear anything that they're saying. I get a temptation to lay myself down on the sofa, but if they walk in, his father will probably see me as disrespectful. I sigh to myself.

I stand up and walk towards the kitchen. I see Jungkook just listening to his father's possible lecture.

"I'll just go home now." I say. They both hear and turn their heads towards me.

"No." Jungkook says.

"Alright." his father says.

I stay there for a moment, wondering if I should listen to Jungkook or his dad. And my answer to that question was, his dad.

I nod my head and leave the kitchen, grabbing my school bag and opening the door. I can hear Jungkook running out the kitchen towards me, but I continued walking out. I hear the door close and feel him turn me around.

"Look. Look. Look." he starts. "My dad doesn't dislike you."

I raise an eyebrow at him.

"He's just mad at me for not telling him. I mean, this isn't the first time he's walked in on something like this. With you!" he corrects himself. I chuckle and roll my eyes.

"I thought you were bad boy Jungkook. Why are you so soft-hearted now?" I say. He glares at me and I just smile.

"I met someone who made me worry a lot." he says.

"Oh, so I was a burden?" I say, joking around. I turn around to walk away.

"Hey!" he shouts, grabbing my arm and pulling me to him. "That's not what I meant."

I chuckle. He rolls his eyes realizing I was joking. He has one arm around my waist, and the other lifted up towards my face. He moves my hair behind my ears, and I smile a little.

"You know, I hated you." I say.

"I know."

"No. I mean, a lot." I continue. "Like a lot, a lot. Like a lot, a lot, a lot. Like whenever I heard your name, I just wanted to find you and punch you."

He raises an eyebrow at me and scoffs a little. I stayed smiling. He leans down, and places a soft kiss on my lips, pulling away after.

"Do you still hate me?" he asks. I roll my eyes and push him away. He chuckles and places both his hands in his pant pockets.

"Yes." I say.

"You do?" he asks. I chuckle and shake my head.

"No. Not yes to that question." I tell him. He looks at me confused. I stayed waiting, seeing if he understood what I meant, but I can see that he probably already forgotten about the question he asked earlier.

"Yes. I'd like to be your girlfriend." I say. His eyes widen and he thinks I'm joking around.

"I thought you didn't like the way I asked you." he says. I shrug.

"I mean, asking someone out shouldn't be really that special. You already took the risk of asking, that should be admirable enough you know?" I say. "Even though, you didn't have a risk of anything. You knew I'd say yes."

He laughs.

"No. Honestly, I thought if I asked you again you'd reject me for the laugh of it." he says. I nod my head and laugh in agreement.

"But I'll be going home now so bye!" I say, quickly walking away.

"Yah! JiYoon!" he shouts. I turn around. "You still have my number, right?"

I nod.

"Use it." he says, and turns around to walk back in the house. I roll my eyes and shake my head, smiling.

***

"Hello?" I say, answering the phone.

"You liar!" I hear someone shout. It was an unknown number.

"Who's this?" I ask.

"Jimin! You lied!" he continues shouting.

"What? Jimin? How'd you get my number?!" I shout at him.

"I stole Kookie's phone." he says, more calmly. "But ha! You lie!"

"Lied about what?!" I shout at him.

"'I would NEVER date any of YOU guys'." he imitates me. I scoff and I can hear him laughing.

"So he DID break up for you!" I hear TaeHyung shout in the background.

"TaeHyung! Shh!" Jimin hisses at him.

"Is that it?" I ask.

"No. I just wanted to give you tips with Jungkook." he starts. "First of all, as you probably already know, he's a jerk. If he breaks up with you on your anniversary date, don't be surprised. Uhm, if he cheats on you, be surprised because he's not like that."

"He cheated on his ex for her!" TaeHyung shouts again. Jimin ignores.

"If he stops talking to you for like a week, that's normal. If he hangs out with us more than you, that's normal. And also, if he acts like he doesn't know you out of nowhere then just accept the fact that you two are over." he finishes.

"...what?"

"Last thing. Ignore everything I said because I don't think you're those girls." Jimin adds.

"Those girls?" I ask.

"Yeah. It's a strong feeling Jungkook's dating you because he actually likes you. I mean, if you were those girls you two won't last long. You know, 'those girls'? The ones he just dates for his image or whatever and then dumps later on? No. I think he actually does like you."

"Then why did you warn me with those things?" I say.

"Just to see if you'd still date him after knowing all the things he did to other girls." he says. I sigh and shake my head, holding it as well from the headache Jimin is giving me.

"I knew about them before him and I even started speaking." I say.

"Wow. Okay then. Don't get mad at me, just checking. You know I do care about Jungkook." he says. "I mean, I'm kind of glad that he actually likes you."

"Why?"

"Because, he'll probably stop being like us you know? I mean, TaeHyung hasn't date anyone but...-"

"Hey! If I wanted to I could!" TaeHyung shouts. I hear Jimin chuckle to himself.

"I mean you know me. And you know TaeHyung. But we're, us? It's like Jungkook's our little brother, and we know we're doing the bad things but we don't want him to follow after. Understand me?" Jimin continues.

"You guys are super confusing. I'm hanging up."

"Hey! Now that we're friends, we have to hang out a lot now." TaeHyung shouts.

"I'm not friends with you two." I say.

"But you're Jungkook's girlfriend! We're a package deal!" Jimin says. "You date Jungkook, you're going to be seeing us a lot more than you'd want to sweetie."

I cringed.

"Just because I see you more doesn't make us friends." I say.

"Hey! Why are you so mean to us? We're not really bad people." Jimin says.

"Stop fighting with others and I'll consider it." I say.

"Aish, jinjja this girl!" Jimin mumbles to himself. I chuckle and hang up. Gosh. I forgot that I'll be with them more now.

***

"JiYoon! Let's hang out today." my dad says, as he finishes washing the dishes. "I mean, it's been a few days since holidays started for the winter and, why not? Wanna go ice skating?"

"Ice skating?" I asked.

"Yeah. If you want."

I sit there wondering if I should. I haven't ice skated since I was little. I have no idea if I'm still good at it or not. But then again, why not? I haven't hung out with my dad like this in a long time.

"Yeah! Sure." I say. He turns off the sink water and looks at me with a smile, drying his hands off.

"Go get ready then." he says. I listen.

***

I don't hang out with my dad the whole time in the rink. I skate without him because he got tired too quickly and mostly stayed near the barriers.

I felt free to skate. I actually felt good, having a time like this out with my dad.

"JiYoon-ah! Come here for a second!" My dad calls out for me. I skate towards him.

"Yeah?"

"I want to ask you something." he says. "Do you want to go possibly see your mother for the holidays? Stay if you'd like?"

I look at him.

"Stay with Mom?" I ask. He shrugs and smiles a bit.

"I mean, if you want to see her again. She's almost an hour away, it's not that far." he says.

"One day is fine. I don't need to stay with her." I tell him. He leans more against the barrier and raises an eyebrow at me.

"Do you not like your mother?" he asks. "You seemed devastated when she left. I mean, I always wonder why you chose to stay with me other than her."

"Well, I didn't really want to move." I tell my dad, and then shrugged. I really don't know the real reason why I chose my father. Both of them treated me the same, no one really treated me worse than the other. My dad just nods.

"Well, then what day?" he asks me. "Do you want to spend Christmas with her? New Years? Or just a normal day?"

"I'll spend Christmas with you. New Years with Mom then." I tell him. He nods and gives me a hug, then kisses the top of my forehead.

"Are you fast?" he asks me.

"What?"

"Are you fast?" he asks again, and then skates off. I roll my eyes and skate after him.

***

"So for New Years I'll be staying with my mom." I tell Jungkook over the phone.

"Just that day?" he asks.

"Well, New Years Eve and New Years day." I tell him.

"How far away is your mom?"

"Almost an hour. It's not that far."

It stayed quiet for a few seconds.

"You'll be here for Christmas right?" he asks.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Well, my sister's coming Christmas Eve so, if you wanted to meet her again, just asking. You can come pick her up with us if you want!" he shouts. I get excited about it, but then realized something.

"Us?" I ask.

"Yeah, my parents got the 3 days near Christmas off." he says. I sigh to myself.

"Look. Don't worry. I told you my father doesn't dislike you. He told my mom but she wasn't as bad as him."

"Yeah, but you know how awkward that is?" I say.

"Please? We can hang out Christmas Eve, and you can be with your dad Christmas." he tells me. I sigh and nod my head. I start chuckling to myself.

"What?" he says.

"I'm so not used to this." I tell him.

"What? Having a boyfriend?" he asks.

"No. Well, yeah that too but...no I mean you." I say. "I'm not used to hearing you so nice, seeing you so nice and what not."

"Well..." he goes. "I've never met someone who made me feel like this."

"Like what?"

"Happy. I don't know, excited about stuff. I mean you made coloring stuff in like such a talent." he says. I laugh a little. "You know, I wouldn't be like this without you."

I smile to myself.

"I want to know, since when did you start liking me?" I ask him. He doesn't reply for a couple of seconds. "Hm?"

"A few weeks after we met." he says. My eyes widened. "It was weird because, I've met a lot of girls in the past few years, and I've never had one make me feel the way you did. I don't know, you weren't all over me like the others. You even told me yourself you aren't like the others. When I tried something with you, you pushed me away and honestly I wasn't used to that. Cocky, I know. So, I tried to get you to like me because it was pissing me off."

I started laughing, not even letting him finish. I couldn't believe that he felt that the whole time, or at least in the beginning. He continues as soon as I calmed myself down.

"So, after all that trying, I started liking you slowly. When I took you to Gyeongbokgung, that was the day it all started. The person who made it skyrocket was that wife who thought we were a couple."

"So what was that kiss on the cheek?" I ask him.

"Me taking a risk." he says. I chuckle and roll my eyes.

"You know, you should be more careful with your phone." I say.

"What do you mean?"

"Jimin took it and got my number. He called me yesterday and kept going on about us. And now he's calling me his friend and he told me stuff about you."

"Like what stuff?" he asks.

"He told me the things you do to other girls and that I should watch out and not be surprised if you did that to me."

"I swear." he mumbles. I chuckle a little.

"But then he told me to ignore everything he said, because he knows you won't do that to me." I say. It's quiet and I think I heard him chuckle.

"Can I ask you something?" he asks.

"Sure."

"If you ever wanted to hurt yourself again, tell me?"

I stay quiet, not knowing where this is coming from.

"Why?" I ask, curious.

"Because I don't want you to hurt yourself again. If you need to, tell me. I know before you'd do it because you had no one, I mean you had me but I messed up a bunch of times, but I'm here now. So, just tell me." he says.

I smile to myself and nod my head.

"I will." I say, and chuckle again. "Gosh, still not used to this."

"Oh my gosh." he says, and I start laughing. "Well, get used to it."

"I will."