memoire ; 01

Mémoire

 

The street isn’t crowded. It’s 3AM and I’m still on the way back home. Being a part of student council is no joke. As the lead of the art division, I had to stay up monitoring all the division members to decorate the school hall that will be used for graduation ceremony on the next morning. The decoration finished at 2AM and we had to clean the hall and so we cleaned it. It was exactly 2.40 when the janitors arrived and they didn’t have to do anything because we’ve done cleaning the hall. So here I am, riding my bicycle in the early morning with a big box of unused decorations.

It’s only 3 more minutes to reach home but suddenly a car hits me.

 

 

I supposed to be at the graduation ceremony. I supposed to be the one who give Junmyeon a bouquet of white roses—just as what he has requested. I supposed to record a video of my brother’s speech. I supposed to hold my father as he watches his first son graduating. I supposed to come to the ceremony and congratulating my friends from art division. But it’s screwed.

 

I hear the beeping sound everywhere. I smell alcohol and other medical stuff, it smells like hospital. A big hand holds my hands and I know it belongs to my father. “Hold on there, Bae Juhyeon!” He shouts.

 

“You’re okay.”

“You’re okay.”

“You’re okay.”

“You’re o…kay…”

And it slowly fades out.

 

 

Bae Junmyeon stares outside the large hospital’s window blankly. His handphone has been ringing for a lot of times and he doesn’t even touch it for almost an hour. He got the news at 5AM while he’s preparing his uniform the graduation ceremony. Bad  news, it’s about her sister Bae Juhyeon who just got into an accident in the early morning. His dad wasn’t home since 4AM, he thought his dad just went out to have some air but he went out way too long. Junmyeon tried to dial his dad but he got no answer. His dad replied with a text and Junmyeon soon flashed to the hospital.

 

The coffee he bought from the café has turned cold. It’s snowing outside. “When will the surgery finished?” He finally opens a conversation with his father who sits near the place he stands. “You should have answered my call, Father. So that I could see her.”

 

Mr. Bae, his father remains calm not answering. He looks older with that pale and wrinkled skin. His eyes are just the same like Junmyeon, blank. And they’re dark.

 

“I didn’t hear my handphone ringing.” He answers. “Junmyeon, you should go to school. You have a graduation ceremony and you’re the one who give a speech. It’s the last day of your high school times. You can’t miss this event, it’s important. Baekhyun and Chanyeol are there too, right?” He’s asking without even look at Junmyeon. “It’s still 7AM, you won’t be late if you go now.”

 

Graduation ceremony. He finally takes his handphone out and sees more than a hundred texts comes in. He clicks his tongue as soon as a new message pops out. It’s a message from Chanyeol, with capital words, asking where is him. He scoffs a little when he sends a reply to Chanyeol saying that he’ll get there soon and he’s sorry that he’s late.

 

“I’ll get going, Father. I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

 

“Good luck.”

*

 

CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR GRADUATION :

B A E  J O O N M Y E O N

 

The brown haired guy lets out a small sigh as he closes the dark blue map on his hand. He throws his sight around the hall, seeing his friends accepting a bouquet of flower, kisses, chatters, and felicitations from their family. There even some outsiders like fans and a couple of boys or girls come to the graduation ceremony to congrats the graduated student—those who become a kpop idols or something.

 

“Hey Kim Junmyeon!”

 

Junmyeon turns his head towards the person who belong that deep voice. “Oh, Chanyeol. Where’s Baekhyun? Congratulations for graduating. So which university are you going?” a thin smile appears on his face that it just looks so fake.

 

Chanyeol remains calm, he gives Junmyeon a bitter look. “I’ve heard it, I’m so sorry about your sister, Bro. She should have been here with us but the… accident.” Chanyeol’s hand moving randomly, like he’s trying to express something. “I hope she’ll be all okay. And Baekhyun is over there taking some pictures with his fams. Should we take some pictures too?” Chanyeol is a really good friend of Junmyeon, even in the time like this, he’s the one who can entertain and light Junmyeon up. And now he’s ready with his phone camera, the front one, facing him and Junmyeon.

 

“iPhone 6 plus?” Junmyeon raises his brow as Chanyeol takes a selfie with his phone. “You changed your phone, again?”

 

“God, Junmyeon. Just look at your face here. Derpie.” Chanyeol hands him his phone. “Yesterday I bought it.” He clicks his tongue and tries to take another selfies. “See? It turns out really good.”

 

“Junmyeon! Chanyeol!”

 

That boy who runs towards Junmyeon and Chanyeol is Baekhyun. He brings more than one flower bouquet. And all of them are different. Roses, Lilies, Sunflowers, and more flowers, Junmyeon doesn’t know what it is.

 

“Did you have some fun without me?” Baekhyun asks while Chanyeol wiping some strands of hairs away that covering Baekhyun’s eyes away. “I see, you guys did. Oh Junmyeon.” He gives Junmyeon a bro hug, “Be strong, young man. We’re here for ya.”

 

“Thanks, Baek. Where’s your family? I want to greet them—“

 

A lady suddenly embraces him, crying. “Junmyeon, I’ve heard about your sister and I… Oh God, Junmyeon she’s okay right? She must be okay.”

 

“Ssshh Mirae.” Mr. Byun takes his wife away with him, he takes a glance at Junmyeon. “How is she, Junmyeon?”

 

“Ah…” Junmyeon takes his handphone from his pocket. “My Father just texted me. He said the surgery will be done on the next few hours. I’ll go to the hospital after the ceremony ends… Thank you for asking, Sir.”

 

“Hmm can we visit your sister?” Mrs. Byun asks as she takes out her handkerchief from her purse. “Baekhyun, do you want to go with me or go home instead?”

 

“Of course I want to see Juhyeon!” He answers, and Chanyeol agrees.

 

Chanyeol’s parent appears and they also want to come with them so right after the ceremony finished, they all go to the hospital.

*

“Mr. Bae?”

 

“Yes, Doctor. How’s my daughter? How’s the surgeries going?”

 

The tall old man who stands in front of Mr. Bae pulls the edges of his lips and smiles. He nods as soon as Mr. Bae questions him. “The surgeries went really well, Mr. Bae. She’ll get her consciousness as soon as she wakes up. She’s still under the effect of the medicine so she’ll sleep a little longer. You can see her later at her room. At room 10.” Once again, the Doctor checks his document. “Yes, room 10. We’ll bring Juhyeon as soon as possible. I have something to do, another surgery is waiting for me so… I’ll go first.” He takes a bow and accepting a bow from Mr. Bae.

 

“Thank you, Doctor.”

 

“Yes, Sir.”

 

There’s only some people on the corridor. Mr. Bae takes a seat not far from the operation room while checking his handphone. Dials Junmyeon.

 

A voice comes from another side of the corridor, it’s Junmyeon’s. “Father. How’s Juhyeon?” He asks anxiously with pale face. “Is she okay now? How’s the surgery? Can we see her? What did the Doctor say?” He repeats, “Is she okay, Father?”

 

Mr. Bae doesn’t answer him at first but he answers him though. “She’ll be okay, I’m sure.” The edge of his eye catches a sight of his old friends, Mr. Byun and Mrs. Park. “Oh. Guys, you’re all here with your mates… and with your kids. Hello Baekhyun, Chanyeol.” He greets them with a weary expression.

 

“Hello, Mr. Bae. We’re here to see Juhyeon.”

 

“She just had some surgeries. The Doctor said we can see her once she’s sent to her room. Should we just wait there?” He offers. “I’ll buy some food for you—“

 

“I’ll go buy some food with Baekhyun and Chanyeol, Dad. Just go to the room and wait for Juhyeon.” Junmyeon points at his pocket. “I’m bringing my thick wallet, don’t worry.”

 

Chanyeol nudges him as he whispers, “Not as thick as mine.”

 

Junmyeon hisses.

 

Baekhyun lets out a small laugh.

 

“Okay, then. See you at room 10, Junmyeon, Baekhyun, Chanyeol. Thank you.”

 

*

 

Chatters and soft laughs can be heard from room number 10. Junmyeon, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol who just get back from the market come into the room with curious faces. Is Juhyeon already okay? Slowly, they’re opening the door.

 

The first thing Junmyeon sees is Juhyeon laying on the bed with a small grin on her face. Her milky white skin looks so pale and dim. Her eyes look like they’re just going to close and fall asleep anytime. With slow steps, Junmyeon approaches the bed. He puts the plastic bags on the chair. His fingers softly touch his sister’s hand. “Ju…hyeon?”

 

It must be hard for Juhyeon to make even a single move that time. She even has to groan while moving her head to face Junmyeon. “Oh, Junmyeon Oppa.” She whispers faintly. “How’s the ceremony going? Do you like the decorations? I’m so sorry I couldn’t be there… ”

 

Junmyeon answers with a nod. “Please don’t be sorry, Juhyeon. What is important now is you. How are you feeling?” He asks. Behind him, Baekhyun and Chanyeol only stays shut while watching Junmyeon and Juhyeon. “The ceremony was going really well, the decorations are all beautiful, just like what I’ve expected. And look, I got my certificate from school! I also had an awesome speech in front of my friends and Baekhyun recorded it, we can watch it later. And also, some teachers gave me bouquet of flowers so don’t be worry. I had a lot of good times at the ceremony.”

 

“I’m so glad to hear that.”

 

Mr. Bae stands out from his seat to see Juhyeon. “You need more rest, dear.” He her hair while showing a thin smile. “I love you.” He pecks Juhyeon’s forehead then tells Junmyeon and his friends to let Juhyeon rest for a while.

 

“Okay, baby Juhyeon. Have a good rest. Nice dream.” Junmyeon smiles widely at her as he whispers, “Wake up soon so we can watch my speech together.”

 

And so, Juhyeon closes her eyes slowly and no one knows when she’ll wake up from her deep sleep.

 

 

*