Remember

Remember

Baekhyun had the tip of the spoon on his mouth, he was nibbling on it like he was eating a bar if Butterfinger. His drool was practically all over the spoon and his eyes were half lit. To several erted human beings he’d seem like he was at the midst of an .

Those people would be absolutely correct.

But not for a man, no. But rather, for the delicious plate of spicy rice cakes. Chowing down on this delicious delicacy was none other than Baekhyun boyfriend of two years, Park Chanyeol.

"Do you have any intentions of sharing your food?" Luhan, Baekhyun’s best friend and classmate said as he held onto his fork, watching Chanyeol wolf down all of the food to himself. "What?" Chanyeol said, his mouth still filled with food. "." Sehun mumbled and leaned forward, grabbing the plate from Chanyeol and setting it at the center. "Hey!" Chanyeol reacted and as his hands were about to reach for the plate Luhan whacked it with his fork. Chanyeol retreated his hand back, caressing it. "Learn to share!" Luhan said as Chanyeol groaned.

After the little meal they all headed out and began to walk back to their dorms. Luhan and Sehun were ahead of Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Luhan was once again complaining about something to Sehun, while Sehun tried to keep his cool and not snap again like last time. He learned his lesson and with Baekhyun’s help he learned how to control himself everything Luhan had something to complain about. Which happens to be all the time.

The entire evening felt quite odd for the couple falling behind. Chanyeol had took an obvious notice but chose not to bring it up nor talk about it. He didn’t quite know if talking about it was the right mood, seeing as he and his lover had just come out of a fresh argument two days ago.

Because two days ago, Chanyeol forgot something. And what was that you may ask? Of course, the typical.

He forgot their anniversary…

-

"You know, he may have just pretended to forget. He could be planning something odd yet romantic." Luhan said. "Why does everything Chanyeol do for me seem odd for you?" Baekhyun asked and Luhan snorted. "Are you forgetting his gift for you on your birthday? He made a video of his daily routine for a week with the camera looking to be in his perspective. To add oddity to it, he was talking to himself. Literally." Luhan said but Baekhyun pouted. He thought that gift was just adorable. "He even almost forgot he had a camera when he jumped in the shower." Luhan added and Baekhyun smiled at the thought of how silly his boyfriend was. "That’s just him being him." Baekhyun defended. "Whatever, he’s weird." Luhan said.

Luhan was right, and Baekhyun knew. He also wondered if Luhan was right about Chanyeol pretending to forget. There has not been one occasion that Chanyeol had forgotten. He remembered Baek’s birthday, his family members, and even the day Baek’s wisdom tooth was taken out a year before they began dating. He even remembered the time.

With Luhan’s thoughts in mind, Baekhyun decided to forget his own theory and just focus on the chores he had for the day. Which was to make Chanyeol pancakes. He spent the day shopping, baking and decorating the tiny tower of pancakes he made for his lover. He made sure that slight details seemed perfect. Details which Chanyeol wouldn’t notice since he’d be too busy chowing down. When the clock struck 7 o’clock it was Luhan’s sign for departure. He bid Baek goodbye and congratulated him for being together with the eccentric Chanyeol for two years.

Baekhyun couldn’t wait for Chanyeol to arrive. He kept speculating what Chanyeol’s gift would be. But he made sure to lower his expectations. He knew Chanyeol had low income from working as a cashier at McDonald’s. His pay wasn’t even enough for a week of food, since most of it went to his rent pay and he had to take over time and another sideline job to male up for the balance he had to pay for college. But with all that, Baekhyun sighed and smiled. None of it truly mattered, Chanyeol entering the door with open arms and the three words coming out of it his mouth was the best gift that Baekhyun could think of. If possible, he’d cuddle with Chanyeol for an eternity.

As he day dreamed about a sweet canoodling with Chanyeol, the buzzer to his apartment rung and Baek snapped out of his short dreamt fantasy. He got up and headed for the door. With the three quick knocks to his door he didn’t need to check through the peephole on his door.

Three knocks meant, “I love you”, and who else to tel him that than Chanyeol himself. The two made it up when Baekhyun noticed the pattern that Chanyeol made every time he knocked on his door. Baekhyun sprung the door open and met eyes with a truly happy Chanyeol. “I smell pancakes!” Baekhyun’s expression changed. Those weren’t really the three words he had in his fantasy. But he quickly changed his expression to a smile and stepped aside for Chanyeol to enter. Chanyeol lazily took off his shoes and trailed them behind as he made his way to Baekhyun’s kitchen. Unlike Chanyeol Baekhyun was privileged and lived in a Penthouse where he was neighbors with Moon Geun Young.

Thus, Chanyeol spent his time there, practically living with him.

"I made them for you, knowing that this is a truly special day for-"
“Of course it’s a special day! I can’t think of any other way to celebrate my promotion!” Chanyeol said and Baekhyun seemed puzzled. “Huh?” Was the only reaction he voiced out. “I smell that expensive annoying cologne Luhan wears so I’m guessing he was here. Since I told Sehun about my promotion I guess he told Luhan who told you so you wanted to congratulate me with pancakes!” Chanyeol said, oblivious to his lover standing by the door frame of the kitchen. Baekhyun slowly approached the table, his hand reaching for a chair. “I can’t believe I no longer have to sit in front of a cash register taking snarky orders from teenagers at the school in front of us. For a public school they sure are snarky.” Chanyeol said and began to stuff himself.

Baekhyun’s expression was hurt. He now realized that Luhan was wrong. Chanyeol had forgotten about their anniversary. To top it off, it came out selfish considering Chanyeol was celebrating his own luck rather than an important event in both their lives. It didn’t take long for Chanyeol to notice Baekhyun, despite how Chanyeol is known for being dense at times. “What’s wrong babe?” Chanyeol said and Baekhyun had his arms crossed, tears pooling in his eyes. “You’re a !” Baekhyun yelled and got up, running to their bedroom. Chanyeol took three more bites before running towards Baek’s bedroom. He did three knocks. “What’s wrong babe?” Chanyeol said, and stuck his big ears towards Baekhyun’s door. “How can you forget?!” Baekhyun yelled and Chanyeol was clueless. “Forget what?”

"Our anniversary you jackass!"

-

It truly wasn’t a day to remember, despite the importance of it. Days later they decided to bury it, sweep it under the rug. Baekhyun stopped walking and after three steps Chanyeol did the same. The couple ahead of them was oblivious. Chanyeol turned his body to face Baekhyun. Watching a sincerely worried expression pieced on Baekhyun’s face. “What’s wronf babe?” Baekhyun truly dreaded that question but then he was giving off a vibe that peaked Chanyeol’s curiosity. “What if one day you forget me?” Baekhyun asked and Chanyeol’s brows furrowed.

"What?"

"Ever since that incident you forget a few things. You forgot our anniversary, which is the incident, you forgot your apartment’s keys at work, you forgot your mom’s birthday, you forgot your own phone’s passcode and you nearly forgot that you aren’t the only person eating spicy rice cakes earlier." Baekhyun said and silence erupted.

"What if you forget me?"

Chanyeol’s face grew serious. He wasn’t sure how he was to respond. He didn’t want to sound rude, but he thought Baekhyun was being ridiculous. He would never forget Baekhyun.

"I’d never forget you! We promised to grow old together in the fifth grade!" Chanyeol said and Baekhyun pouted. "What if you reached 40 and forgot about me?" Baekhyun said. "Is that an insult, I think I’d still be somewhat young at 40 you know." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun stomped his foot on the ground, like a child, out of irritation. "I’m serious!" Baek stated. "So am I!" Chanyeol replied.

Feeling annoyed and being made a fool of, Baekhyun turned his back on Chanyeol and began to weep. Chanyeol felt some guilt and approached his lover. He rubbed Baekhyun’s back, gently turning his body to face him before enveloping him into a warm embrace from the chilly weather.

"Don’t be so silly, I could never forget you." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun continued to weep. "I bet you’d forget you just said that." Baekhyun’s voice muffled through the hug. "Now you’re being evil, I’m not that old to forget." Chanyeol said but Baekhyun just continued to cry. Chanyeol sighed and pulled Baekhyun away. He wiped the tears on his face and ran his thumb across his cheek. "I may forget the tiny details like birthdays, anniversaries or even my own passcode but I’d never forget you." Chanyeol said and the tears in Baekhyun’s eyes made them sparkle.

"I’d never forget how you make sure the corners of your bed is neat. The way you color code your clothes after washing. The way you constantly burn your tongue when you drink tea, or even the way you like to bite off the crusts on sandwiches instead of just slicing them off." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun’s heart softened.

"I most especially won’t forget how you love me. Especially when you knocked on your classroom’s shallow wall in junior year so I could hear it from my classroom. And that I was too dense to realize you actually felt something for me and only asked you out two years ago." Chanyeol said and a smile was formed on Baekhyun’s face. He buried his face against Chanyeol’s chest, breathing in the scent of his lover.

"I’d never forget you Byun Baekhyun. I love you." Chanyeol said and a smile was no longer Baekhyun’s control. He practically had it permanently plastered on his face.

"I’ll probably forget when I get Alzheimer’s when I’m in my 60s." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun playfully punched his chest.